OtakuBoards

Favorite Shounen-Ai/Yaoi Titles

Miryoku

I absolutely love shonen ai, does any one else?whats your fav? mine is gravitation, its so cute. I am so in love with Yuki, and shuiichi is like my twin I just can't sing and I don't live in japan( unfortunately) so yeah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. any way I like other yaoi to like fake and level c ( i mean ..... um I don't usualy watch hentai but um) the fun part is I'm a guy yay......... gigglestick.......wow :wigout:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=darkblue]Miryoku, you really need to work on your posting quality if you wish to stay here for a while. That post is downright atrocious. If you post a thread starting out like that again here, I'll close it.

Anyway, regarding your question, the only manga that I've read that actually is shounen-ai was Ghost! (aka Eerie Queerie), which I throughly enjoyed. Mitsuo and Hasunuma were pretty cute together and the parts where those two and Ichi were all together were hilarious. I sort of felt bad for him at the end, heh. (Ichi, I mean.)

While Demon Diary isn't really shounen-ai (it just hints at it, except of the bonus story at the end), the hinting was enough for me to like it. (Though Chris and Raenef's intereactions before the 5th book are great, lol.)

So yeah. Those two I really like, but there are a lot more that I want to read, including Legal Drug and Fake.[/color]

Hi thanks for the info. sorry about the dot dot dots im just way hyper yay

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]I'm sure Lady K appreciates it, but please keep replies to the topics- keep thanks and sorrys to PMs, heh -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

For me, i guess i'd have to say Gravitation aswell. on a count that it's basically the only "well known" shonen ai manga. Though I also love Demon Diary very much. The characters are just great and Rae and Eclipse make such a kawaii couple. Not to mention all the characters are unbelievably hot. (even if there are basically only guys) I'm not sure about whether this one counts and i don't know if any one else had read this, but I've just read Juvenile Orion. It's such a cute manga! The characters are just wonderful and i'm madly and hopelessly in love with Tsukasa Amou. His such a cutie and my friends and i are all very sure that he and his so called "father" are both gay together. it's just so sweet the way they interact with one another. Still i dout many people will have the slightest clue as to what i'm talking about.

Guest Yoruyonaka
I love Gravitation, it was my first shounen-ai, and my all-time favourite. I loved the characters in it and the animation was excellent. I read the first volume of Juvenile Orion, but I haven't formed an opinion just yet.

I really want to read Fake and Eerie Queerie...and hopefully will be starting at least one next month. ^^

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]Gah, how could you not form an opinion of Juvenile Orion? Just the first few pages should be enough for you to fall in love with it!

Even though Juvenile Orion isn't a Shounen-ai manga (the two main characters are in love and are a boy and a girl) there is a lot of hints between Tomonori and Tsukasa (I love those two!), the author is, however, well known for shounen-ai manga, so I wouldn?t be surprised if she puts some serious boyxboy action in there, he he.

As to my favourite shounen-ai manga, I would have to say that it's 'Only the Ring Finger Knows'. The style is beautiful and both the lead characters have personalities that you can instantly latch onto. It is only one volume long (I think) but the story is very deep and thoroughly enjoyable.

I want to buy ?Desire? but due to the fact that I'm only 14 and it's an 18 rated manga, I can't buy it just yet. Damn.

Most of the time I support pairings that are based on the fans imagination, for example Zelgadiss and Xellos from ?Slayers?. I love that pairing but both of those characters where paired off with a female character, well?in theory they were, eh heh.

Enough ranting now. *slaps wrist*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I love Kaori Yuki's shounen-ai one-shots (most notably Boys Next Door and Kaine). Her fondness for dark, controversial material really comes through in these pieces, and I'd say they're easily among her best work. [b]Boys Next Door[/b] is three chapters long and deals with the relationship between a tormented elementary school teacher--who just happens to be a serial killer--and the young male prostitute who inadvertently witnesses one of his murders. [b]Kaine[/b], which is approximately the same length, focuses mainly on the protagonist's identity crisis. After his twin brother Kaine (who is an idolized rock star) dies, he is forced to take Kaine's place on stage and in the band. It's well worth reading just for the awesome plot twists, but also contains strong BL undertones.

[b]Stigma[/b], a full-color story by the manga-ka of Saiyuki, is possibly my favorite shounen-ai manga ever. It's beautifull drawn, with smooth, impeccable artwork that takes the rough, eccentric style she used in Saiyuki and polishes it to absolute perfection. Every single page is a feast for the eyes; color manga are rare and this one is definitely a treasure. The dialogue is lyrical and conveys a genuine sense of desolation. Stimga features a number of complicated relationships--there's a big age gap between the two main characters which might give some people pause. However, their relationship is neither sexual nor purely platonic; this is not something that can be pigeon-holed as a shotacon manga.

[b]Legal Drug[/b] and [b]Tokyo Babylon[/b] are by far my two favorite CLAMP manga... personally, I'm of the opinion that CLAMP does shounen-ai and pure shoujo better than anything else, and that the further they stray away from those genres, the worse they get (which is my way of explaining why their shounen titles are so awful, heh). Of the two, I prefer Legal Drug--it's funnier and more fanservice-y; I find its stories to be a little more sophisticated than those in Tokyo Babylon. However, both manga have great comedy and simply stunning artwork.

How could I live with myself if I didn't mention [b]Gravitation[/b]? At times I have a lot of trouble taking it seriously, but the humor is priceless and Eiri Yuki is one of my favorite characters of all time.

[b]Banana Fish[/b] is an authentic classic and with good reason; it's gritty, violent, and overall feels much more like a seinen title than the type of thing one would normally call "shounen-ai." Because of that, this manga has much wider appeal than something as soap-operatic and silly as Gravitation. Its story is captivating--putting to shame that of many novels--well-researched and intricately plotted. The snappy, realistic dialogue is a true pleasure to read.

Some other titles I've enjoyed immensely include [b]Loveless[/b] by Kouga Yun (the manga-ka of Earthian), and [b]Aisareru Hito he Tsugu[/b], which is downright adorable yet somehow never saccharine. I haven't yet picked up [b]From Eroica, With Love[/b], but I have a feeling that it very well may be my next favorite.

Yeah, pretty much all of the manga I read are yaoi/shounen-ai. :p

~Dagger~

[color=deeppink][size=1]Well, I'm pretty new into the whole shonen-ai genre, I'm more of a shoujo-ai girl, but I'd have to say [b]Gravitation[/b] is definitely one of my favorites. [b]Fake[/b] was pretty good, but not the best I've ever read, sometimes the artwork seemed awkward and strange. It had an interesting plot line though.

I'm absolutely dying to pick up [b]Legal Drug[/b]. Whee.

-Karma[/size][/color]

i heard that Erie Queerie is more of a humor type of story. (or so i've heard) still my friend has all... four books i believe? (there are four right?) and i get to borrow them after this other person read them. i can't wait to get them^^ i'm also getting Demon Diary for Christmas from my friend (who is very generouse to get it for me) I've got a question, is Fruits Basket counted as a sort of Shonen-ai? Cause that's what it seems like to me. though i'm not sure about it...

[color=darkblue]Yes, I suppose you could classify Eerie Queerie as romantic comedy shounen-ai. It is rather heavily laden with it, but it's all great.[/color] [spoiler]The time when Mitsuo was taking care of Ichi when Hasunuma came over was hilarious.[/spoiler] [color=darkblue]It's really a nice series, something that someone new to shounen-ai might be able to break their gums on, so to speak.

And you're right, there are four books in the series.[/color]

out of what was already mentioned, I like Gravitation, Fake, Legal Drug, Tokyo Babylon, Loveless, Juvenile Orion, and Stigma (which I paid too much for, but it was well worth it)

Not sure if Fire Candy counts O_o as there's lots of girly fanservice too, but [spoiler]it was still really funny to see Haru all over Leo, and then Leo's reaction when he realized Haru was a guy.[/spoiler]

I haven't read Erie Queerie T_T I sort of thought of Demon Diary as shounen-ai, but it depends on how you look at it. Not sure if Count Cain/God Child/whatever other titles it has counts either, but it's really good anyway~ Riff and Cain's relationship is horribly cute~ and I figure X has enough fanservice to at least mention XD;

[color=darkred][size=1]Looking at my manga shelf now I see [b]Fake[/b], [b]Eerie Queerie[/b] and [b]Wish[/b] amongst others...

Well, the reason I listed [b]Wish[/b] was because Kohaku isn't exactly male or female, so I suppose the reader could make out what they think of it in their own minds...

[b]Fake[/b] was surprisingly better than I thought it would be, and I'm now glad that I picked it up on a whim when I flipped through a few pages at the bookstore. And I'm also giddy to learn that it was animated as an OVA!

[b]Eerie Queerie[/b] Is also very well done I think, but I'm surprised it goes by as one of the lesser known shounen-ai manga out there among collecters. it's just that any person I see boasting their collection around either online or in person seem to completely pass by [b]Eerie Queerie[/b]. I own the first two volumes, and I think that it delivers on the humor and the boy lovin'.

Oh well, as little as there was available to the public I'm glad to see more Shounen-ai manga pop up in the bookstores.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Colonel Mustang']The only one I know about is Gravitation. I really like it, though does anyone have any suggestions on any others I should read?[/quote]

[b]Eerie Queerie[/b] is cute and appealing fluff. The situational comedy gets a little tiresome and repetitive by the fourth volume, but thankfully the creator decided to end the series there.

[b]Demon Diary[/b] has plenty of bishounen, assuming that's what you're looking for, although the shounen-ai is entirely implied. There's at least one plot-hole the size of Mars, but I was enjoying the sharp, beautiful artwork and hysterical comedy too much to notice it immediately.

[b]Legal Drug[/b] and [b]Tokyo Babylon[/b] are a bit more direct than Demon Diary. Both expertly inject serious stand-alone stories about supernatural occurrences with a healthy dose of well-timed humor. These manga are, in my opinion, among CLAMP's best work. If you appreciate mahou shoujo, you might want to check out [b]Cardcaptor Sakura[/b] as well--it features a good helping of shounen-ai and shoujo-ai undertones.

[b]From Eroica, With Love[/b] isn't something I can easily recommend, since I haven't yet read it myself. However, it sounds interesting; the official mini-site is located [url=http://www.dccomics.com/cmx/?action=on_sale&i=2][u]here[/u][/url]. The main character is openly gay, and the manga is reputedly rife with shounen-ai subtext.

[b]Pet Shop of Horrors[/b] is somewhat similar to Legal Drug and Tokyo Babylon. Though also devoid of overt shounen-ai, it's long been a favorite of BL fans.

All of the above are licensed and at least partially available in North America. If you live elsewhere and/or read unlicensed manga, I can offer other recommendations.

~Dagger~

I've only read three different manga's: Gravitation, Demon Diary, and Alice the 19th. So far my favorite is Gravitation. One of my friends just bought Fake, so after her mother is done with it I'll be able to read it :D . Though I want to read Eerie Queerie, and Legal Drug.

Gravitation is also the only one I got into so far, and I absolutly loved it. (I finally picked up the manga after watching the anime twice.) Shuichi is my offical fantasy boyfriend (yea, I dont go out much.) Anyway, its just so cleverly written with actual trials and tribulations that I really didnt expect, going into the world of [I]shonen-ai[/I]

I DID read the first Eerie Queerie and I dunno, I just couldnt get into it that much. Very cute, but I think I expected more in terms of, heartwarming-ness. (yeah, I dont think thats a word. lol) In any case, I felt I was left with a more shallow experence than I anticipated. Gravitation spoiled me. ^_^

*~Dark Otaku Boy~*

[I]"Take a look to the sky just before you die. Its the last time you will" ~ Metallica[/I]

• 2 weeks later...
I love [B]Fake[/B] and [B]Eerie Queerie[/B] . Fake takes a little while to develope but has a great ending. Eerie Queerie is cute.

Dee is one of my all time fav. characters--and I love the way he and Ryo interact.

I don't really like the Gravitation manga...but I <3 the anime. And the Fake anime (it's an extended movie) is bad cuz they add things in and only focus on one of the chapters from the manga.

Guest LadyBattousai
hmmm....I have to say I absolutly love Erie Queerie, granted it is more of a comedy, but it has good romance too. Whereas I do like serious Manga/Anime too a lot of times I just like to laugh and I'm a romance buff anyways. Anyhoo I would recommend Erie Queerie if you don't mind comedy involved because it's a good series.

I haven't read Gravitation but i really want, ive read the remix versions of it that was put in english.

I really love FAKE tho great series. Also Eerie Queerie is a great seires funny and cute.

Ive got Juvinille orion well 1-3 and the first vol of Legal drug and i love them both.

I so want to get desire but every time i got to amazon ~.co.uk i come from england unfortantly~ they haven't got it

Well, I've found three new favorites. ^____^

[b]From Eroica With Love:[/b] I finally picked up the first volume, and it's a clever, frothy romp. Both of the male leads are simply dripping with charisma; the unresolved sexual tension is funny and sweetly frustrating. I normally detest the whole "thief" genre, but Eroica doesn't feel at all tired or cliched. I can't wait for the second installment.

[b]Bokura no Oukoku [Our Country/Our Kingdom]:[/b] Insanely cute, with just enough angst and soap-operatic drama to keep it from being too sugary. It's licensed, too! I hope DMP starts releasing this soon. I really dig the artwork, and the ensemble cast is fantastic.

[b]Wild Adapter:[/b] An awesome shounen-ai manga from Kazuya Minekura, the artist behind Saiyuki and Stigma. Like Stigma, it's deliciously dark and gritty, but this time there's no cute little shota running around to complicate things. The artwork is lavish and virtually flawless, although her tendency to recycle character designs from other series can be distracting. The two main characters, Kubota and Tokito, are also the stars of an alternate-universe manga called Araiso.

~Dagger~

• 4 months later...
I love loveless, sounds abit like a pun or something when i put it like that.... hehe.... anyway i think it is so cool..... and i just want Ritsuka ad Soubi to be a pair!!! hahaha.... anyway i will stop now and be silent :P

Yes, [b]Loveless[/b] is wonderful. Kouga Yun fans may also want to keep an eye out for [b]Earthian[/b], which has been licensed by Tokyopop.

One (unlicensed) series which happens to be very much worth checking out is [b]Rin![/b]. The art is by Yukine Honami, who has this really gorgeous style that sort of defies description--it's at once sketchy and clear, with loose, natural lines and an unadorned beauty to it. I love her character designs. Rin is a BL manga, but it's actually more about archery than anything else.

[b]G-Senjou no Neko[/b] is also nice. Its style is a bit sharper and more refined, but somehow still soft. I'm not quite sure where the story is headed--but much like Rin, it has a bittersweet, idyllic atmosphere to balance out all the drama (which is something I tend to seek in manga, BL or not).

~Dagger~