OtakuBoards

Favorite Shounen-Ai/Yaoi Titles

Miryoku

[quote name='Miryoku']I absolutely love shonen ai, does any one else?whats your fav? mine is gravitation, its so cute. I am so in love with Yuki, and shuiichi is like my twin I just can't sing and I don't live in japan( unfortunately) so yeah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. any way I like other yaoi to like fake and level c ( i mean ..... um I don't usualy watch hentai but um) the fun part is I'm a guy yay......... gigglestick.......wow :wigout:[/quote]
YAY-NESS!!!XD
I love yaoi & shounen-ai and I'm so happy I found a forum relating to the subject. Some people I've met before aren't as nice about it. :(

Well, I my favorite yaoi/ shounen-ai was FAKE. It was my first(besides Gravitation) that I really liked. Its so funny and they are so nice together.

But I'll have to say, I really liked Legal Drug, too. The artwork is fabulous and they are absoluelty loveable. Kazahaya reminds me so much of cats & Rikou does his best to bug him. Its funny and Kazahaya looks adorable when he's making a fuss. I'd better stop there though. I'm sounding strange and I could go on forever.

Oh yeah. AND Descendant of Darkness( Yami no Matsuei). Its a little weird but all the more apealling. :)

I need some suggestions for new yaoi/yur/shounen-ai/shoujo-ai manga I can read. Any suggestions?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about doujinshi people?, doesn't anyone like the Gundam wing pairings or the FMA pairings? :animesigh: god i don't know.

I have seen Gravitation the series i did download some kind of book version of it where shunchi is in school, but it was sooooo crap and didn't follow the series at all. I have also read the evangelion manga which i am hoping has got some yaoi at the end,(Someone please tell me it has?). I haven't seen fake or any others for the matter but i have seen Enizma (sorry if spell wrong), that seem very...backwards and my friends says she going to show me Loveless, she seen or read part of it and recons its good. But i go for doujinshi more then series cos i know there's not many anime series available.

I for one would like to say that i am very happy to see yaoi and Shounen Ai disuss on the otakuboards, and i hope we see more of it soon.

Hmm, well, this topic is my new love. I've found a few titles to check out while reading through it so far, and so now I'll share my favorites.

At the moment, I've just finished [B]Banana Fish[/B] volume 6, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next one. I really love this series, it's got all the essentials of a good manga. Now to own it... :catgirl:

Also, I'm reading [B]Gravitation[/B]. I'm not sure whether I adore it or am bored of it. It kind of switches off. The characters are pretty neat and the plot *is* good...I guess I just need a break.

I read [B]Eerie Queerie[/B] but I didn't really like it that much. I mean, it was good and all, and the characters were hilarious what with the way they interacted...but I just couldn't really get into it. The ending, that sucked. I really disliked that. It kind of ruined the series.

I've started [B]Hands Off![/B] but I can't really tell you if there's any shonen-ai in it, because I've just read the first book. I caught some hinting, but nothing else so far...I'm liking it though, it's similar to Eerie Queerie.

I would have to say that Gravitation and FAKE are my favorites. I've seen the anime of Gravitation and read FAKE a couple of times, but Vol. 6 leaves me hanging since they don't sell the final volume of FAKE in bookstores..waa... :animecry: IT'S NOT FAIR! :animeangr ..Excuse me. :animeswea

[QUOTE=KarmaOfChaos][color=deeppink][size=1]Well, I'm pretty new into the whole shonen-ai genre, I'm more of a shoujo-ai girl, but I'd have to say [b]Gravitation[/b] is definitely one of my favorites. [b]Fake[/b] was pretty good, but not the best I've ever read, sometimes the artwork seemed awkward and strange. It had an interesting plot line though.

I'm absolutely dying to pick up [b]Legal Drug[/b]. Whee.

-Karma[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

I have to agree in saying that Gravitation is really one of my favorite shouen-ai stories. (Actually, it's the ONLY shouen-ai story that I have seen. I haven't read the manga yet, but I do plan on doing so this year...) I really want to read Eerie Queerie, FAKE, and I am drooling over the aspect of reading Legal Drug. A lot of people, both offline and online, have read it and they say that it's to die for... :D

[quote name='Miryoku']I absolutely love shonen ai, does any one else?whats your fav? mine is gravitation, its so cute. I am so in love with Yuki, and shuiichi is like my twin I just can't sing and I don't live in japan( unfortunately) so yeah weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. any way I like other yaoi to like fake and level c ( i mean ..... um I don't usualy watch hentai but um) the fun part is I'm a guy yay......... gigglestick.......wow :wigout:[/quote]
[center][size=1][color=darkolivegreen]I'm basically the same way, cept I'm a girl and I enjoy it for a few different reasons. Gravitation is my favorite, and has been for a long time. I never really got into the fad of shonen ai, yaoi, etc., but I do know that Eiri Yuki is a total Bishonen... :3

Hahaha, just kidding. Well, not really, but that's not my only reason for likeing it.

I like the plot a lot, and the romance is fabby... It's very nifty manga, and the crazy American with a gun rocks my socks. Definately two thumbs up if ya ask me! ^_^[/color][/size][/center]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='St. Sakura']I would have to say that Gravitation and FAKE are my favorites. I've seen the anime of Gravitation and read FAKE a couple of times, but Vol. 6 leaves me hanging since they don't sell the final volume of FAKE in bookstores..waa... :animecry: IT'S NOT FAIR! :animeangr ..Excuse me. :animeswea[/quote]
But they do sell it in the book stores.
Thats were I got mine. :(
Maybe you can order it.
Anyway, you should really get the last volume, its the best! ~^__^~

I love shonen-ai and yaoi manga.

[b]Gravitation[/b] is a given, since every fangirl has to have seen it. ^__^ I will say that I enjoyed the anime more than the manga, but that was mainly because of the music that went along with it. And besides, the manga didn't show off how adorable Ryuichi actually is. ^__~

Most of the stuff I read is one-shots...but a lot of them are really good. I can't really remember any of the names off the top of my head though. >__>

One of my all time favorite shonen-ai mangas is [b]Thief & Detective. [/b]It's about a detective named Hugo trying to catch the master theif, Dr. Martin. The entire story is really really cute once it starts going. Hugo's naivety is definetely one of the things that keeps the plot going.

Among my more yaoi-ish favorites is [b]Oujisama Game[/b]. It's incredibly sweet at times, but then it has the added bonus of yaoi thrown in there. ^__~ The art itself is really beautiful. It's a really nice read.

Once I actually get some money, I plan on getting [b]Legal Drug[/b]. I've heard from so many people how awesome it is, and I've actually read the first few chapters on line. I can't wait until I'm actually able to afford it. lol.

• 1 month later...
Shonen-ai/yaoi is the best thing that ever happened to anime! i mean there is hot guy on guy action, how can it get any better then that? okay, so my fav Shonen-ai series are [B]Gravitation[/B] which has a nice couple between Shuuichi and Yuki ^^ i think [B]Boys Next Door [/B] was a good one also, it was very sad and angsty, just the way i like them ^^ i did think the relations between Amou and nomonori in [B]Juvenile Orion[/B] was too kawaii~~! in [B]Demon Diary[/B] , i could just imagine a EclipsexRaenef pairing, i mean it was just waiting to happen, lol! i do have to say that my favorite shonenai manga woulkd be [B]Yami no Matsuei[/B] . i know, it's not a real coulpe, but i love it when Muraki is all over Tsuzuki, it's just so hot!

I can't belive the rubbish i am reading this thread, all you people talk about is Gravitation. I see the series, that was Ok, but when i read the remix manga i think that was totally rubbishness. God what wrong with you people?, what about Sukisko? what about Viewfinder?, what about If dogs could also walk?. All you people seem to be talking about is the really famous stuff that everyone knows about why not try something different? and look at a REAL yaoi or shounen Ai manga

[quote name='duoikari']I can't belive the rubbish i am reading this thread, all you people talk about is Gravitation. I see the series, that was Ok, but when i read the remix manga i think that was totally rubbishness. God what wrong with you people?, what about Sukisko? what about Viewfinder?, what about If dogs could also walk?. All you people seem to be talking about is the really famous stuff that everyone knows about why not try something different? and look at a REAL yaoi or shounen Ai manga[/quote]
Um, there's no need to be insulting. Gravitation is "real" BL. I don't know what put you off about the Gravitation Remix doujinshi, but it's not exactly an integral part of the series to begin with.

As for Sukisho, I thought the manga was mundane, with a muddled storyline and unappealingly sloppy artwork. I tried very, very hard to like the anime, but at a certain point it got way too ridiculous for me, and the ending was one of the biggest let-downs I've experienced in [i]any[/i] series, BL or otherwise. Guess what, though--this doesn't mean I'm going to verbally attack [i]you[/i] for enjoying it (although I will point out that your apparent distaste for "really famous stuff," as if Gravitation could ever realistically be slapped with such a label, smacks of elitism). In the future, please attempt to extend that basic courtesy toward others, regardless of whether or not they're fans of Gravitation. :rolleyes:

~Dagger~

Well what i'm trying to point out to you people is, your just all saying the famous ones. Has anyone who actually commented about Gravitation seen any Yaoi mangas by Yamato Nase or any other not-so famous artist for that matter. As for Gravitation, is was pretty funny and that is really the only kick i got out of it, it is just the typical Seme and a typical uke having a bit of trouble getting together. If it was a girl-boy anime, then it would be as boring as hell.

plus Sukisko wasn't really a manga to begin with, it was a game that was made into a manga, like so many other boy based mangas are. But if you watched both the series and the manga you would see that it is not just an every day plot of a boy falling for another boy and the seme is fight back his feelings.

Now Fake, Fake was a little different it was kinda on the same lines as Gravitation but it was a little bit more deep, but i'm just going by the OVA on this, i didn't really see a point in wasting £6.50 a book on it. The same with Gravitition, i was so disapionted with the OVA that i didn't even bother buying the books.

By the way i thought the ending of sukisko was really quite good at least it was all flowers and everyone dancing about singing songs

Daggers and Duo CALM DOWN. this is no place for an arguent :animesigh
everyone is entitled to their opinion i know duo being a bit blunt but thats the way she is. but i do understand wheres shes coming from. all the people talk about in this yaoi thred is about gravitation. if you would look around abit on the web you will find more yaoi anime apart from gravitation.

i personally like loveless i think the characters are fun and enjoyable the best part about it cat boys :catgirl: (he he).

this is supposed to be an open duscussion for everyone so i think that people should say what they feel but not actually say the words their actually thinking(DUO) i think u should dull ur words down a bit. but i also think that people should respect duo's words and her thoughts on the subject (free speech and all :animeswea )

well i hope everyone gets on together in the end :D

[quote name='duoikari']plus Sukisko wasn't really a manga to begin with, it was a game that was made into a manga, like so many other boy based mangas are. But if you watched both the series and the manga you would see that it is not just an every day plot of a boy falling for another boy and the seme is fight back his feelings.[/quote]
Yes, and the game --> anime transition was handled very poorly; huge segments of plot were lost in the process, and the inherent tragedy of the story was greatly reduced. I'd be one of the first people to cheer if a company like, say, Media Blasters brought over the Sukisho games, but I found the manga disappointing and the anime even more so. I'd have been happy to take an "everyday plot" over what was done to those two parts of the franchise, personally.

[b]yunasgrace[/b], we weren't exactly screaming at each other, haha. I think I'm perfectly within my rights (and I'm stating this as a fellow OB member, not from the perspective of an administrator) to object if I disagree with something someone says or the tone in which s/he says it. Here at OB we try to foster intelligent discussions, and at times such discussions--briefly or permanently--turn into debates. I don't really see what's so disagreeable about, well, disagreeing.

As for the whole fame/popularity thing, I don't understand why fans tend to resent certain manga (or anime, or games for that matter) [i]because[/i] they're better known than others. To me it comes across as being either simple jealousy (on behalf of one's more obscure favorites, perhaps) or a desire to emphasize that one's tastes are superior to those of the common masses, neither of which are especially attractive emotions. There's nothing wrong with disliking or outright loathing Gravitation, obviously, but dismissing it for the sole reason that it's popular or being annoyed by the fact that it's popular is just plain silly. I'm not and probably never will be a Naruto fan, but I don't get my panties all in a bunch merely due to the reason that a ton of people adore the show/manga and also adore discussing it.

You want to talk about more obscure manga? Fine. How about [b]Demian Syndrome[/b]? It's got fantastic artwork, although the plot (or lack thereof) leaves me a little leery... it's typical angsty schoolboy stuff, except that the UST is nicely preserved and the character designs rock.

[b]La Esperanca[/b] is coming out from DMP starting in October, and I highly recommend it. [url=http://www.yaoi-manga.com/titles?n=31][u]Here's[/u][/url] a place where you can check out some sample pages. The art is pretty, but where it really shines is in the delicacy and tension of the story. Fans who stick mainly to explicit BL will probably find La Esperanca boring; however, it's a title that stands up very nicely on its own merits, not just as a BL series.

[b]CUT[/b] is (rather to my surprise) a manga I think very fondly of. It has angst up the wazoo, but it handles some pretty cliche emotional issues with a weird sort of grace.

I've completely fallen in love with [b]Tsuki to Mizu no Yoru[/b]. Yes, it's hilarious for the fact that it feature bishounen kappa (!!) but it's also a subtly told, charming, bittersweet manga which in many respects is reminiscient of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (a seinen slice-of-life series). The writing is good, the pacing leaves little to be desired, and even the imperfections of the artwork manage to be oddly appealing. I hope it gets licensed sooner or later.

~Dagger~

I'll admit, as much as I love shounen-ai and yaoi pairings, I have trouble finding manga that I enjoy for it. Yes I like Gravitation but more for the funny than for the shounen-ai. It's a great series though, at least I thought so. Usually the pairings I like are only hinted at in anime/manga or fanon pairings sadly. Like in DNAngel for example, lots of hints and tricks but what will really happen is well, probably nothing shounen-ai related. Pet Shop of Horrors, to me, counts though because I feel the Count D and Leon relationship was more than just a bit of fanservice or teasing. I think Demon Diary counts as well, even if they never really kissed or anything like that.

I've heard of Cut and La Esperanca and thought they looked good but that's all I know of them. FAKE looked good too but something about the art put me off a bit. I don't know, art is very important to me in a manga, I mean that's part of the joy of a graphic novel. I found I didn't really like Only The Ring Finger Knows just for this reason but I feel I should give it another try. Plot is important but characters mean more to me so characters and art is anyone has any suggestions.

Ah! I know one I loved, Our Kingdom. I enjoyed that one a lot from what I read. I know it's being released soon.

I don't know, I need to break out of fanon and into real canon pairings in actual shounen-ai manga I suppose.

[QUOTE]I've seen the anime of Gravitation and read FAKE a couple of times, but Vol. 6 leaves me hanging since they don't sell the final volume of FAKE in bookstores..waa... [/QUOTE] It took me FOREVER to find vol. 7 here... Almost 5 monthes ^^; Try looking on ebay or ordering it off of a website like Rightstuf.com

On that note; Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness and Fake are my favourite shounen-ai's/yaoi's. YnM and Fake are absolutly hilarious and beautiful... Each has their own unique art styles suited for their story and period. I do hope that when YnM finishes there is some "progress" between Tsuzuki and Hisoka, if you know what I mean :animenose :D

"I've seen whores with more shame than you, Dee!" -Ryo (Fake) :P

Guest Cookie Whore
Mkay, you guys.
Honestly, I joined just to reply this (it poped on Google). xD

Firstly, I agree with that very unhappy person that got upset with seeing nothing, but Gravi in people's posts. But [B]Gravitation[/B] is pupular, and it's a good thing to start with. I started with it, and I still think it was quite good. I just recently finished then, tho`, cuz' they were just too good to download. For all of those who only wathched the 13 episodes, I'd suggest the OVA, the one with a fetish scene. It was just too hawt... x__x;; But, you should get manga. It's allot of books, and carries a heavy price tag of $185 CAD ($140 USD), it's freaking worth every penny. It's just too good, and there is a HUGE date gap between volume two and three, so from crappy doodles, it just jumps into this addorable art. And MANY characters, funny situation, Shu-chan's lightheaddedness, diferent ending, and it goes at much more steady pase then anime that feels like their relationship only lasted four days. But the 8th manga just put me off. The NewYork, Reiji and Judy's craziness... Tohma giving THAT to Sakano as a [I]panishment[/I] (don't get dirty thoughts, I tried to word it best not to spoil), Shu-chan dying hair and running around NY in a chicken costume... that was just the worst part of manga. Dxx
Enough of Gravi.

*Bites freshly-glued fake nails* Q___________Q;;; Waaa!

My favorite at the moment is [B]Loveless[/B]. I know,I tkow, it`s very pedophilic, twisted all around, only 12 episodes, and the cat ears scred the hell out of me on the first episode, but hell! I just like the fluffieness of it. Although it doesn't quite have a real plot, and a bit random at places, the lesbian Zero's scared me a little, but I just like it. Let's say, it's in a cathegory of those anime that burn into your memory for a week, you are obsessed for a week, then it passes. It's been a while, but I still like it very much reguardless. It's just.. nice. And art is very good. I haven't gotten a chance to read the manga. I looked for a while, as far as I know, there isn't Loveless english manga, and I really can't understand Japanese, and I have to read, not stare at prictures.

The [B]worst[/B] thing I've ever read was [B]Legal Drug[/B]. Yes. Don't die for it, you guys. If you like Gravitation, you most likely won't like it. Firstly, it's CLAMP. Think how much of a shonen-ai (NOT YAOI, just pure boys love) they can make to start with. Nothing special, nothing sugarcoated. Legal Drug has this feel to it, that it origenally started as CardCaptor Sakura #674839478. Really. They feel like they were all 10-yearold lovesick schoolgirls an our ago, and now got sucked into male bodies. It's no good at all.

Sorry about the grammar, you guys, but I had to look down at the keyboard all the time; I should really take off these fake nails. Now I know why no girl out of the "most popular" group can ever draw as much as a stick figure. I practically typed this all with the nails, not fingars. Dx

Your description of [b]Legal Drug[/b] is very amusing. Personally I wish the series had continued, if only to see whether or not CLAMP had planned on just teasing us the entire time, haha.

And that reminds me--I finally got around to finishing [b]Tokyo Babylon[/b]. Seeing X TV sort of killed my motivation to buy the final two books; not that I hadn't already known what would happen, but having seen both Subaru and Seishirou [spoiler]die,[/spoiler] I suspected that no matter where the original series ended, it would feel incomplete to me.

I was pleasantly surprised by some aspects of Tokyo Babylon's conclusion, such as the fact that Subaru [spoiler]actually admitted he was in love with Seishirou[/spoiler] and even the bit of irony in the last few pages, when [spoiler]the little girl's ghost made the comment about people doing bad things because they're lonely.[/spoiler] Still, like a lot of other CLAMP titles, it left me feeling somewhat hollow. But I guess in this case the richness and depth of the art made up for that, at least as far as I'm concerned.

~Dagger~

[color=#cc0000][font=Times New Roman][size=2]Slight thread revival...

You can probably guess this from my avatar, but I am a yaoi-FREAK. A yaoi-holic... yaoi is my sun, my moon, my sky, my--yes, I layed the craze on a little heavy there. Let's just say, it's my drug, and it's my anti-drug.

Only actual shounen-ai series I've seen was Gravitation. The [b]manga[/b] was absolutely brilliant, if you're into continuous angst and drama (which I am). I was extremely satisfied with the ending, and thank the lord that Murakami's technique improved as time went on. ^_^;

(The anime of Gravitation was 100% attrocious, in my opinion. Won't even go into that.)

I also want to see [i]Fake[/i], [i]Only the Ring Finger Knows[/i], [i]La Esperanca[/i], [i]Beyond my Touch[/i], [i]Eerie Queerie[/i], and [i]Yami no Matsuei[/i]. (Unfortunately I'm not made of money whatsoever.)[/size][/font][/color]

[QUOTE=Maiya Asuka][color=#cc0000][font=Times New Roman][size=2]
I also want to see [i]Fake[/i], [i]Only the Ring Finger Knows[/i], [i]La Esperanca[/i], [i]Beyond my Touch[/i], [i]Eerie Queerie[/i], and [i]Yami no Matsuei[/i]. (Unfortunately I'm not made of money whatsoever.)[/size][/font][/color][/QUOTE]
[b]Only the Ring Finger Knows[/b] is an excellent one-shot (and therefore costs less overall, since it consists of only a single volume). The story is satisfying and complete, and the artwork is just lovely.

I do not recommend buying the English (Viz) edition of the [b]Yami no Matsuei[/b] manga. Certain scenes have been edited, and you may not want to support that kind of practice. For example--if I remember rightly--there is a page in volume 4 which strongly implies that [spoiler]one male character is performing oral sex on another. Nothing is actually shown, but in the original version one could see the first character's head, the second character's nude back, etc. Basically, Viz erased the character's head from the panel entirely, leaving the other guy sitting pointlessly naked by himself.[/spoiler]

[b]Eerie Queerie[/b] is a fun diversion, but [b]Hands Off[/b], which tackles similar material in a somewhat angstier fashion, is generally superior. My main caveat is that Hands Off is not outright BL--i.e., the main character has a girlfriend, although she's not an especially prominent character. But the emotional bond between him and one of the other male leads is rather exceptional, transcending friendship and quasi-romantic love to the extent that the rest of the cast members seem to constantly comment on it.

It's not that I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth with Eerie Queerie, but... at times I felt as if I were buying it simply due to the general dearth of English-translated BL. Now that DMP has licensed more and more titles, I don't have the same compulsion to buy every single BL manga on the market. Given the chance, and with that in mind, I doubt I'd choose to re-buy Eerie Queerie.

Obligatory plug: if you like Cold War style espionage and heaps of UST, [b]From Eroica With Love[/b] is an absolute must. :catgirl:

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Maiya Asuka][color=#cc0000][size=2][font=Times New Roman]Question: what is "BL"? ^^;

And, thanks for your opinion on things as well. They're dually noted.[/size][/color][/font][/QUOTE]
Boys' Love. It's a catch-all term for yaoi, shounen-ai and everything in between.

~Dagger~

My favorite Shounen-ai would have to be Loveless.
Soubi and Ritsuka are such a couple. I love all the
character designs and the story line.

My favorite yaoi would have to be Golden Cain.
XD Man did I squeal at that manga....so much
sexy boyxboy love.

Two more good yaoi mangas are Desire and Passion.

MMmmmmm. [B]Tokyo Babylon[/B] is a must read for a shonen-ai fan! Clamp is (as always) amazing, even if it [I]is[/I] one of their earlier works. [B]Cardcaptor Sakura [/B] is another manga series that, while the main characters are interested in guy/girl realationships, there is a super-cute shonen-ai couple towards the end. It just goes to show that Clamp is definately wonderful at the BL.

Another that I recommend is [B]Kyo Kara Maoh![/B], although I don't know if it is a manga . . . I've only seen the anime. TOO CUTE! It's silly and sweet all at the same time. Add [B]Demon Diary[/B] to the list (yummy Eclipse) and you've got all my favs!