OtakuBoards

Favorite Shounen-Ai/Yaoi Titles

Miryoku

[quote name='missrelena]Another that I recommend is [B]Kyo Kara Maoh![/B], although I don't know if it is a manga . . . I've only seen the anime. TOO CUTE! It's silly and sweet all at the same time. Add [B]Demon Diary[/B'] to the list (yummy Eclipse) and you've got all my favs![/quote]
I'm not sure if there's a Kyo Kara Maoh manga, but the anime is based on a series of novels (which include some manga-style illustrations). With the recent trend of anime/manga-related novels being translated by American companies, I hope someone will pick up KKM soon. I'd love to read the original version of the story.

Kyo Kara Maoh actually reminds me very much of Demon Diary, heh (both in terms of its premise and its style of humor).

~Dagger~

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Garamond]I absolutely love the Subaru/Seishiro relationship that started in Tokyo Babylon and ended in X. I saw X first and didn't really get their story, but then I read Tokyo Babylon and saw X again and realized how prefectly gut-wrenching the whole thing was. If you like sunny, happy stories (but then, do they really exist in anime?) you wouldn't like how it ends up, but it's still my favourite of everything I've read and seen. [/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note for BL fans: the website for [url=http://blumanga.com/][u]BLU[/u][/url], a new BL imprint supported by Tokyopop, now has a splash page and is scheduled to go live in late October.

They've licensed some strong titles from absolutely superb artists (including Shinobu Kokoro, from the talented manga-ka who does the Kyo Kara Maoh novel illustrations). Plus there's also Love Mode, Gorgeous Carat (by the same person who did Seimaden and Cantarella), Earthian (from the manga-ka of Loveless) and Wild Rock.

Wild Rock is from one of my preferred BL artists, Takashima Kazusa. It's actually not the best example of her work, in my opinion--that is, it looks lovely, but the story is pretty meh. Not that I really read her manga for their stories, to begin with... her artwork is just so, so appealing. I really hope either BLU or DMP will eventually pick up Last Client, which has a Kazuya Minekura-esque vibe.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]I'm not sure if there's a Kyo Kara Maoh manga, but the anime is based on a series of novels (which include some manga-style illustrations). With the recent trend of anime/manga-related novels being translated by American companies, I hope someone will pick up KKM soon. I'd love to read the original version of the story.

Kyo Kara Maoh actually reminds me very much of Demon Diary, heh (both in terms of its premise and its style of humor).

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to pop in an add that KKM is indeed a manga ^^ It's done by the same girl who drew for the novel, according to my friend.

and KKM happens to now be my (tied for first) favorite BL series, Wolf and Yuuri are just too funny. Wolf running around looking like Link...best episodes ever.

I'm also very excited about BLU...there's only so much I can get through friends after all. I'd rather own actual copies of things than scanlations and fabsubs and the like. (although they tide me over, ahem...) So now I can finally buy some of these. Tokyopop is aiming to please the BL fanbase, this almost makes up for me missing out on "Hiwatari-kun!" and "Niwa-kun!" in the DNAngel manga. But not quite.

...DNAngel is still my fav BL related series though. KKM's gaining though.

Yeah, another great thing about Kyo Kara Maoh is that it just keeps on going and going. Certainly one of the longest BL-ish series I can think of (unless you count all of Saiyuki's sequels, I suppose). [strike]I wonder if the Shinobu Kokoro/KKM novel artist also does the KKM manga...[/strike]

EDIT: Jeez, I need to read posts when I'm not dog-tired. Thanks for answering my question before I asked it, heh. :animeswea

Speaking of BLU, Anime on DVD found some release dates--and they're soon! The first volumes of Earthian, Love Mode and Shinobu Kokoro are all coming out on October 30th. Wild Rock will be released on December 20th.

I'm kind of sad that the one title I was super excited about got bumped back, haha, but it's nice that we can take a peek at these other series in less than a month.

~Dagger~

About FAKE, I've read the whole entire 7 volume set...i believe that it's worth the money and time (and I would say that when i started to read FAKE the art got to me also but then i got used to it and i got really into it). Gravitation is also good manga and OVA,and i can wait to finnish reading Descendants of Darkness. :catgirl: But I believe that any one who starts to read shonen-ai and yaoi should go with Eeriee Queeire, Illegal Drug, and Hands Off!...then go to the hard core with Passion, and the Gravitation Remix, :rolleyes:

Oh if you don't mind me asking whats KKM? I havent even heard of that...and also is Loveless, Our Kingdom, Jazz, Desire, and Yellow a good read? Yeah i know theires a big list :animeswea

[QUOTE=dark desires]About FAKE, I've read the whole entire 7 volume set...i believe that it's worth the money and time (and I would say that when i started to read FAKE the art got to me also but then i got used to it and i got really into it). Gravitation is also good manga and OVA,and i can wait to finnish reading Descendants of Darkness. :catgirl: But I believe that any one who starts to read shonen-ai and yaoi should go with Eeriee Queeire, Illegal Drug, and Hands Off!...then go to the hard core with Passion, and the Gravitation Remix, :rolleyes:

Oh if you don't mind me asking whats KKM? I havent even heard of that...and also is Loveless, Our Kingdom, Jazz, Desire, and Yellow a good read? Yeah i know theires a big list :animeswea[/QUOTE]

KKM as we call it for short is about some guy who goes to another relm or something and fights demons, i think that's the plot anyway :animeswea I was going to get it but then i see that the actually series was about 40 odd episodes and i'm already watching bleach.

KKM stands for Kyo Kara Maoh, which is actually about a dude who gets sucked into a different world and becomes the demon [i]king[/i]. So, yeah, it's a little different from your standard demon-battling plot. ;)

The first season of the anime is already being released in North America. There's also a series of novels and a manga, as confirmed by Sage Kaley.

~Dagger~

Originally Posted by duoikari
[I]KKM as we call it for short is about some guy who goes to another relm or something and fights demons, i think that's the plot anyway I was going to get it but then i see that the actually series was about 40 odd episodes and i'm already watching bleach.[/I]

thank you!!!! And has anyone ever read Yellow? I'm thinking of reading that and I want to know if its any good...thanks again :D

Btw i'm still a little new at this...so correct me on how to do quotes :animeshy: :animeswea

[quote name='dark desires']...and also is Loveless, Our Kingdom, Jazz, Desire, and Yellow a good read? Yeah i know theires a big list :animeswea[/quote]
Loveless - Excellent. It has beautiful artwork and an exciting, well-developed story. The only way I can see a BL fan not liking this is if you loathe angst or want a plot that focuses solely on romance. Loveless certainly qualifies as BL, but it also has elements of action, suspense, mystery, etc. The anime based on it is wonderful as well.

Our Kingdom - Fluffy but pretty entertaining; it's generic but fun. If you enjoy relatively light schoolboy stuff, you may as well give this a shot.

I haven't read Jazz, Desire or Yellow. However, Desire has artwork by Yukine Honami, when means that it's guaranteed to be visually gorgeous. So if you value artwork highly, I'd recommend it on the strength of her involvement alone, even without having seen it myself.

~Dagger~

i've heard of yellow but never actually read it, i more into the unknown fan mangas, i think that they are something better then the ones that are lisenced. My favourite at the moment would have to be 'No money' it is really good and has both a good mixture of heart ache and comedy in it, i would diffaintly recommend it when it's done.

I also saw another manga the other day, it was a yaoi by Naono Bohra, which might i say is a fantastic artist who draw the most realistic bodies i have ever seen. Anyway there was only two chapter available at the time but it was really good and had me wanting more. I don't know if anyone else has read it it is called Delivery Rangers, personal i think it should be made into a anime, i think it's that good.

I would have to say that my favorites are Gravitation, because Shuichi is so hilarious and because Yuki reminds me of me when [spoiler]he nearly kills the guy from the band Ask,[/spoiler] and Fake because the interactions between Dee and Ryo are just pure hilarity. and I thought it was awesome that Matoh-san added an afterward to Fake in her analogy "Monotone." Its called "Like, Like, Love" and it takes place a few years after the end of volume seven.It just kinda shows who hooks up with who, and I thought it was a nice little finisher to the story. You can see it at [url]www.fakephoenix.com[/url], you just go to "translations and at the bottom of the table you see it.
I really do like Hands Off! and Eerie Queerie, though. ah, to heck with it, I like em all!

[color=darkblue][b][size=1]In the future, please remember to use spoiler tags when revealing things that happen in a series that may be of some significance. Thanks. ^^ -Lady K[/size][/b][/color]

The thing that i found ironic in FAKE is that [spoiler]biki and carol get more 'intimet' before Ryo and Dee do.[/spoiler] :animenose
Oh and another thing I kind-of-sort-of read a yaoi called The Antique Bakery I mean it was interesting once i got along...but its just that it didn't grab my attention personaly. But one of my most fav. has to be either Eeriee Queeire, Gravitation, FAKE, Passion, Illegal Drug, Descendants of Darkness, yea ok so i like 'em all...almost :smirk: :lecture: :modrod:

Guest Dionythicus
I just read Until the Full Moon. It's yaoi on principle, I guess. The two main characters, David and Marlo, are in love with each other no matter which form Marlo is in. It's quite interesting in that Marlo is half vampire/half werewolf but because he's descended from an all male werewolf tribe (hundreds of years ago) he changes into a woman at the full moon (which was the Yam tibe's only method of reproducing). Because he's their only child, his parents take advantage of it and plan to marry him to David in hope of getting grandchildren someday. I thoroughly enjoyed the artwork and plot twists. I just wish it was a longer series. There are only two books. Still it's worth it.

Gravitation was my introduction into the BL genre and is still a favorite of mine, if only for nostalgia's sake. I've read most of the other popular/licensed ones that you guys have already talked about. Liked most of them, though I didn't really care for From Eroica, With Love.

[QUOTE=Dagger]Just a quick note for BL fans: the website for [url=http://blumanga.com/][u]BLU[/u][/url], a new BL imprint supported by Tokyopop, now has a splash page and is scheduled to go live in late October.

They've licensed some strong titles from absolutely superb artists (including Shinobu Kokoro, from the talented manga-ka who does the Kyo Kara Maoh novel illustrations). Plus there's also Love Mode, Gorgeous Carat (by the same person who did Seimaden and Cantarella), Earthian (from the manga-ka of Loveless) and Wild Rock.

Wild Rock is from one of my preferred BL artists, Takashima Kazusa. It's actually not the best example of her work, in my opinion--that is, it looks lovely, but the story is pretty meh. Not that I really read her manga for their stories, to begin with... her artwork is just so, so appealing. I really hope either BLU or DMP will eventually pick up Last Client, which has a Kazuya Minekura-esque vibe.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Takashima Kazusa is one of my favorite BL artists! :love: I was so happy to hear that one of her stories was licensed. Wild Rock was actually the first piece of hers I ever read. I absolutely love her artwork. [COLOR=Red]Love.[/COLOR] I would definately buy Last Client if it was ever licensed. Okay, so I would by any of her stuff if it was licensed.

I also can't wait for Love Mode to come out (not much longer!) This is one of my favorite mangas. I've read scanlations from all the series that BLU has licensed and I'm really looking forward to all of them. They definately made great choices. Now they just have to show their awesome translating and editing skills. (Which, of course, is a requirement for producing these series.)

I was also happy to hear that Haru wo Daite Ita was licensed (as Embracing Love.) This series is by Nitta Youka, another mangaka I really like. Also glad that Target in the Finder (English version's title) by Yamane Ayano was licensed. Not my favorite series by this mangaka, but still a series I like.

I'm also looking forward to the Only the Ring Finger Knows novel. Definately something I'll buy. And, since it's licensed by the same people, I'll note that the manga G-Senjou no Neko is licensed under the name Il Gato Sul G (though it's release date isn't until April 2006.) I'm really happy with this influx of BL titles.

As you might've already guessed, I'm a big BL fan. Own some DVDs, tons of manga, and read even more scanlations, watch fansubs. It's definately my top genre, though I like stuff from most genres.

I could definately keep talking, but I think this is more than enough for a first post.

Yay, another G-Senjou no Neko fan~! :catgirl:

I really like that series. It's going to be a long wait until April 2006, to say the least.

Speaking of DMP titles, can anyone here comment on [b]Kimi Shiruya[/b]? It seems interesting, and as a one-volume title it shouldn't demand much of a commitment. The kendo theme has me intrigued.

~Dagger~

I'm glad that G-Senjou no Neko is licensed, but at the same time... April is a long time to wait to read more. (Actually I guess it would be more like June before I'll read new stuff.) At least there's always Love Mode to keep me occupied. :D

I've also been wondering about Kimi Shiruya. I've never read it and am curious. Especially since I've read most of the titles that have already/are going to come out in the US.

-----

Just thought I would post the titles of some newly licensed manga.

Be Beautiful: [url]http://www.bebeautifulmanga.com/[/url]
Boku no Koe
Playboy Blues
Yebisu Celebrities
Midaresomeshi

Dmp: [url]http://www.yaoi-manga.com/[/url]
Little Butterfly
Lost Boys
Kimi to haru kion
Don?t worry mama series of novels
Kiss Of Fire Art book
Junk Boys series - usa will have a serial yaoi publication

Blu: [url]http://blumanga.com/[/url]
Earthian
Lovemode
Wildrock
Gorgeous carat
Shout out loud
Menkui
Inu mo Arukeba

Tokyopop: [url]http://www.tokyopop.com/[/url]
Loveless

Stole the list from a scanlation list site. Some I'd already heard about, but not all (seeing as how some were announced at Yaoi-con.) I'm definately excited by a number of these titles.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a heads-up: OB doesn't allow double-posting, so I'm going to merge your two replies in a second. If you'd like to add some new information, and you're the last one who replied to a thread, you can delete your most recent post and re-submit the content of that one + whatever else you wanted to mention.

With that out of the way... Thanks for sharing! This is some amazing news. I'm most excited about Boku no Koe and Shout Out Loud (I'm assuming that's Sakende Yaruze), and it's not just because I like reading about seiyuu, I swear... :animesmil

Inu mo Arukeba is kind of forgettable--but I'll probably get it anyway. And I'm really glad DMP is going for more novels. (Could Kyo Kara Maoh be next? *crosses fingers*) Of course the most thrilling part is the whole idea of a BL anthology; that's what the part about "Junk Boys" is a reference to, no? It would be really nice if companies that publish a lot of BL material would band together at least a little for something like that.

~Dagger~

Sorry about the double post, I'll remember not to do it again.

[QUOTE]Of course the most thrilling part is the whole idea of a BL anthology; that's what the part about "Junk Boys" is a reference to, no?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I pretty sure. I googled "Junk Boy" after I posted the list and there is a BL anthology (I'm assuming you mean anthology like Shonen Jump. I'm used to calling them phonebooks, so I'm not sure what the English term is.) by that name. Of course, DMP doesn't have any information on their website yet. I wonder what series will be in it.

And we can keep our fingers crossed for Kyou Kara Maoh novels. Definately would be on my must-buy list.

[QUOTE=Remadi]Gravitation was my introduction into the BL genre and is still a favorite of mine, if only for nostalgia's sake. I've read most of the other popular/licensed ones that you guys have already talked about. Liked most of them, though I didn't really care for From Eroica, With Love.

Takashima Kazusa is one of my favorite BL artists! :love: I was so happy to hear that one of her stories was licensed. Wild Rock was actually the first piece of hers I ever read. I absolutely love her artwork. [COLOR=Red]Love.[/COLOR] I would definately buy Last Client if it was ever licensed. Okay, so I would by any of her stuff if it was licensed.

I was also happy to hear that Haru wo Daite Ita was licensed (as Embracing Love.) This series is by Nitta Youka, another mangaka I really like. Also glad that Target in the Finder (English version's title) by Yamane Ayano was licensed. Not my favorite series by this mangaka, but still a series I like.

I'm also looking forward to the Only the Ring Finger Knows novel. Definately something I'll buy. And, since it's licensed by the same people, I'll note that the manga G-Senjou no Neko is licensed under the name Il Gato Sul G (though it's release date isn't until April 2006.) I'm really happy with this influx of BL titles.

As you might've already guessed, I'm a big BL fan. Own some DVDs, tons of manga, and read even more scanlations, watch fansubs. It's definately my top genre, though I like stuff from most genres.

I could definately keep talking, but I think this is more than enough for a first post.[/QUOTE]

Thank the lord! :animesigh at last we have someone who actually thinks about what they are reading!, and do not just say gravavitation all the dam time and i'm sorry but i have to stand up for the non popular artist! :p

I really liked last client even though i didn't really read through it properly, but then again i not really a big fan of Yamane Ayano work, it's just that it's too series for me. I like serious yaoi's but ilike them to have a good bit of comedy in them.

Unfortuently i had to wipe my computers c drive clear so my mangas aren't on my pc for me to look up some good ones that i like. But i do like most of [B]Yamato Nase[/B] and i have really got into the mangaka who does [B]Love is like a storm[/B] i think that i one really good school based manga

[quote name='Dagger']I'm most excited about Boku no Koe and Shout Out Loud (I'm assuming that's Sakende Yaruze), and it's not just because I like reading about seiyuu, I swear...[/quote]

Yes, Shout Out Loud is Sakende Yaruze. Blumanga.com is now operational and it has summaries for their titles. Shout Out Loud isn't supposed to come out until April.

[quote name='duoikari']I really liked last client even though i didn't really read through it properly, but then again i not really a big fan of Yamane Ayano work, it's just that it's too series for me.[/quote]

Last Client is actually by Takashima Kazusa. Maybe BLU will license it soon. I mean, they already have two of her oneshots licensed. I can hope. ^^

Someone who went toYaoi-con and some of the panels posted more information on a yahoo group I'm on. I'm just going to post one part.

[QUOTE]KISS OF FIRE by Nitta Youka.
This is the first yaoi artbook to be translated and released in
English! It is expected to come out in late 2006.

In negotiations: J-BOY, an English translation and release of the
Japanese BL manga anthology Junk Boy. Junk Boy is released twice a
year in Japan and will be the same in English. DMP will try to include
all the releases included in the Japanese version.[/QUOTE]

last client is at the top of my classic list. I also like boys next door, i don't know who it's by but man it good, it doesn't even have any yaoi in it but it still good. I 'm going to try to get my hands on it again. We don't have many anime convention where i am and none of them are yaoi and i have never met anyone else in person who actually likes yaoi :animecry: i'm all alone in the world of yaoi. I also just read 'Rainy love in the first degree' which was pretty good.

But the funnies one i have ever read has to be the viberator company, it made me laugh so hard that my sides hurt for ages afterwards.

[b]Boys Next Door[/b] is by Kaori Yuki. If you liked it, I also recommend [b]Kaine[/b] (not nearly as powerful, but it has beautiful art and is of a similar length).

While we're talking about Last Client, does anyone know if the art in chapter 7 was ever corrected? It was interesting to have a glimpse at what her preliminary sketches look like, but considering that it's one of the key installments in the series, I'd have preferred seeing finished art...

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger][b]Boys Next Door[/b] is by Kaori Yuki. If you liked it, I also recommend [b]Kaine[/b] (not nearly as powerful, but it has beautiful art and is of a similar length).

While we're talking about Last Client, does anyone know if the art in chapter 7 was ever corrected? It was interesting to have a glimpse at what her preliminary sketches look like, but considering that it's one of the key installments in the series, I'd have preferred seeing finished art...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
Not sure i think Last client was lisenced, so i never was able to get the rest of it. It's the same with little butterfly i only learnt yesterday that it had be lisence along with if dogs could also walk, which seems to have be renamed to man's best friend :animecry: it quite sad really, i will never find out what happened in in little butterfly.

to tell you the thruth i can't really remember what last client was about, i did like Wild adapter though, that was really good.