OtakuBoards

The Computer Help Thread

Red

[color=#002E55]doukeshi3 - I've merged your thread with this one.

First of all I would make sure that it's not the messenger exploit, do the adverts come up with only a message and a clickable 'ok' box? If so, follow the steps at the beginning of this thread to get rid of them.

If not, I don't see how pop ups could keep occuring after you've done spyware and virus checks without an installed program having physically put them on your system. As Petie suggested, go through add/remove programs and look for anything that looks terribly out of place.

Although, I wouldn't suggest installing Service Pack 2 if you play many PC games, it's been known to cause a variety of problems in regard to playing/installing them. I'd stick with SP1 and the regular updates until Microsoft completely fix SP2. However, if you don't do much gaming I highly recommend it.[/color]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=indigo]As many of you know, when it comes to computer related issues I am pretty much in the dark. That is why I am so cautious with what I download and so meticulous when it comes to running virus and spybot scans.

Despite my slightly compulsive nature my computer has been acting a bit online. Often times when I type in a website the process will time out or the computer will not be able to locate the site. Usually if I reload the site a few times it will end up loading fine, but it is still initially troubling, especially since my freaking Roadrunner service is so expensive.

If you have any tips I would appreciate it.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]Bear with me - I'm a bit of a computer retard.

I bought a new video card to play Sims2 with, since my computer is old and craptastic. I bought the cheapest I could find (which probably wasn't a good idea, now that I think about it - >_<). I got it today, and when I inserted the CD-rom to install the driver, it gave me this error:
"Error Number: 0x80070705
Description: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
Setup will now terminate."

And all I can click is "OK" and well, the setup terminates. *_*; Does this mean that my computer is too crappy for the video card? That's what I think. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the card is called uhm.... *checks* ATI Radeon 7000 (no laughing, please).[/color]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]It's a program thing, not a card thing. I hope this stuff helps:

[url=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321915]Microsoft Official Solution[/url]
[url=http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105810]InstallShield Official Solution[/url]

Both are the same, but I linked both just in case you think your problem is different, heh.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1]HC, do you use Firefox? Because I get that problem too...with Firefox timing out and stuff like that, which is very annoying...

Roxie, I am going to have to laugh, because the computer my dad bought last year has an ATI Radeon 9600. Lol. Anyway, would you be able to tell us about the rest of your computer, like what OS and what system specifications you have, RAM, processor etc. and how many mB your video card has?[/size]

[color=#9933ff]Hey, I said no laughing! =(

I'm running on Windows 98 SE, uhm... I have no idea how much RAM I have, I've got an Intel Pentium III Processor, and the Radeon has 64 MB I think...

It's okay if you can't get it, I'll probably end up either figuring it out (I understand it's very hard to diagnose a computer on a message board), or suffering in silence. =)[/color]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Oh, sure, completely disregard my post, which was complete with two (count 'em, TWO) solutions (well, they were the same). First I'm called a girl by everyone, and now I'm ignored.

The emasculation continues... T_T[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]HC, do you use Firefox? Because I get that problem too...with Firefox timing out and stuff like that, which is very annoying...

Roxie, I am going to have to laugh, because the computer my dad bought last year has an ATI Radeon 9600. Lol. Anyway, would you be able to tell us about the rest of your computer, like what OS and what system specifications you have, RAM, processor etc. and how many mB your video card has?[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I do use Firefox, and I thought it might just be a glitch with the browser. But I have Firefox loaded on my computer at work and it never times out. Granted my office is run on a T1 and my home computer runs on a standard cable modem.[/color]

Hey, my friends computer has been having some trouble with his computer. His computer turns itself off after he logs in on windows. A couple of days ago maybe a week it ran fine. Lately, it's been shutting off while he was playing NFSU2 or Vampire Bloodlines. It used to happen from 10-1 hour or more. Now when he logs on it shuts off. He thought it might be his power strip so he used a different one, he tried a different power cable and still the same. He ran virus scan immediately when it started to happen. His computer is a P4 Windows Xp 2.5 Ghz 512 DDR Ram Western Digital 160 GB Nvidia Geforce 4 Mx 440 128 MB of Ram Heatsink with fan . Also, his ethernet shuts off and the power shuts off his monitor is still running. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

[color=#4B0082]Merged this with the Computer Help Thread. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[color=#9933ff]*huggles Azure* Oh my gosh. I'm so so sorry. I didn't even see your post at all last night when I posted again. ='( I really really apologize for that, it was an oversight and a mistake on my part. *huggles Azure again*

I will try both the solutions you provided seeing as I have both windows office 2000 and windows 98 (okay, it's SE, but hey, it could still happen). I'll get back to you after that. Thank you for trying to help me though. I really appreciate it!

*Edit*

*jumps on top of Azure* OMG I LOVE YOU!!!! ^__________^

I wuvs Azure, he's the bestest!!!! I tried the second download for people that don't have Microsoft Office 2000 (because that one didn't work), and I was able to install the video card. I'm so happy! *dances like a ninny* Thank you so so much!!! ^_____^[/color]

I'm with Zeta to start. When my power supply was going bad on this comp, it'd shut down on its own fairly regularly, and then wouldn't turn-on at all a day or two after that. I'm betting it's the power supply, honestly. From what you've described, it does sound like it's starting to go.

But take it to a computer repair shop regardless of what it may be, because they're professionals and can actually tell what it is, and fix it.

Well for the more computer literate people here....I am planning on flashing my video card bios. Right now I hae a 9800 non pro, and am planning on flashing it to just a plain olde 9800 Pro, since it is read as a Pro anyways...but the core and memory clocks are at the non pro levels.

I have to format a floppy disk and then create a bootable disk to do so. But when I right click on my A drive symbol in My Computer, it just highlites it for a bit, then it unhighlites not allowing me to format it and create a bootable disk.

Any ideas? I was thinking it may be shot or something. :flaming:

I have no idea how to use computers. Im a console person. Could someone please tell me what I need to do to be able to play games like Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike? Ive heard I need a video card but I don't know what that is or what I do with it.

[color=#4B0082]Merged with the Computer Help Thread. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

First, right click on desktop, go to properties and then the settings tab. Underneath the monitor it will tell you what kind of video card you will have. If you do not have one, it will say something like "Intel Extreme intergrated graphics."

If that is the case...boi..we must get you going in the right direction.

What is your budget?

For around $200 you can get a very, very nice 6600 video card from nVidia, new generation video card, and very able performer for it's price. Don't bother with the GeForce FX series. Not good cards for their prices, but if you do want to go that route, I say probably a 5950 Ultra, not too good of a price for its performance in the games out.

If you want to go the other route with a different video card manufacture that is big, then ATI is your way. Right now they onyl have their high end x800 series out in AGP and PCI express. I am assuming you have an AGP slot, heh.Most everything else is in PCI express. To find out if you have an AGP slot, take off the side of your case and see if you have a brown slot that is indented farther in than the white ones that are below it.

So if you really do wish to go ATI (I prefer them myself, my 9800 Pro is a very able card, very very nice performance and quality) you would probably have to go to their last generation of cards, unless you wanna spend a good chunk more than 200. This route I would suggest a 9800 Pro, like mine. You can find them for around 200 dollars as well. If you want mroe information o n that card, just PM me, I am a proud owner. :-) Otherwise...I would say at least a 9600 Pro/XT. Not as good as the 9800 by far, but if you are on a strict, strict budget, go with that.

But hey, if you don't have a strict budget, go for the 6800 line of card from nVidia, or the x800 line from ATI. Top performers out now.

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking for some code so I could make a Windows Media Player come up for my xanga. It doesn't really matter if it's in a pop up window or whatever, I can only find one example of the media player in the browser but it only has one song on it as well and I wanted an entire playlist.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#9933ff]Wow. I'm all happy and excited. I have DSL now!!!! (It's a big step up from AOL dial-up, okay? Let me bask in my glory, revel in my new connection speed. >O )

The thing is, my sister who hooked it all up also yelled at me for not having enough space on my hard drive left. I have about 15 GB total and only five left to store stuff. So she told me to get rid of some of my junk (image files, mostly. The MP3s are staying in there because they don't fit on a floppy. lol) or put it somewhere else. (she's also supposed to get us more memory, so I'll have even more. heh.)

I don't have a CD burner, so I guess floppy disk is my storage tool of choice. Just out of curiosity, is there any better way to permanately store some of my image files and other stuff? I have no problem with floppy disks except for the fact that you need a LOT of them. I will use them, but was just wondering if you know of anything else (what that might be, don't ask me. I'm the computer idiot. lol.)[/color]

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]Wow. I'm all happy and excited. I have DSL now!!!! (It's a big step up from AOL dial-up, okay? Let me bask in my glory, revel in my new connection speed. >O )

The thing is, my sister who hooked it all up also yelled at me for not having enough space on my hard drive left. I have about 15 GB total and only five left to store stuff. So she told me to get rid of some of my junk (image files, mostly. The MP3s are staying in there because they don't fit on a floppy. lol) or put it somewhere else. (she's also supposed to get us more memory, so I'll have even more. heh.)

I don't have a CD burner, so I guess floppy disk is my storage tool of choice. Just out of curiosity, is there any better way to permanately store some of my image files and other stuff? I have no problem with floppy disks except for the fact that you need a LOT of them. I will use them, but was just wondering if you know of anything else (what that might be, don't ask me. I'm the computer idiot. lol.)[/color][/QUOTE]
Simple: Get a CD burner. [URL=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6641413&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01040&id=1082742242953]Here's a cheap one.[/URL] Then you can store 700 megs for about a quarter. You can also spend the cash to get [URL=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384460160&type=product&skuId=4599777&tab=6&productCategoryId=pcmcat33200050001]this Hard Drive.[/URL] It's only $40 after rebate.

Other than that, you can always get a web hosting account and use it as storage. I'd recomend [URL=www.surpasshosting.com]Surpass.[/URL]

[COLOR=blue]I don't know what your wallet size is, but I absolutely recommend an external hard drive. After trying one out, I can't say I prefer any other type of storage. They are just so convenient in every way imaginable.

All my siblings have a laptop. I have a cheesy, pathetic laptop issued by the school I go to (Stevens). There's also three family computers, and all of this is centered around a single (wireless) router. The family computers were what I used to use to store stuff since my laptop doesn't have much space. Sounds ok, right? But here's the deal: I have siblings.

Let's go down the list: [LIST][*][B]Sister #1[/B]: Likes to collect anything and everything she sees, regardless of quality or usefulness. Sorting is also not something she's into, so things she does tend to become rather messy quickly. [*][B]Sister #2[/B]: Downloads anything that has a virus in it. Manages to screw up most computers that then need to be formatted and lose all data within. Also solves "file missing" errors by deleting things.[*][B]Brother[/B]: Loves gaming. Needs powerhouse stuff, and loads any computer full of games - even if he doesn't play them.[/LIST] So, within this chaos, how am I supposed to have space and security? After sisters 1 and 2 filled up their laptops, they now set their sights on the family computers, which are now full to the brim with God knows what. Then my brother installs games on every computer just in the case of some imaginary LAN party.

With my own external harddrive, I can keep that which is precious to me safe and sound, and with space to spare. While you can put security on it, I don't think anyone needs to go that far. Last, it's very convenient to carry and give to someone else, should they want something you have. I invested in a Maxtor 300 GB external hard drive and never regretted it. It's very nice-looking too. Also, in case my laptop somehow got corrupt (like by a virus), it's ok because all my important data is on the external hard drive. And if my laptop blows up, that's ok too (well, not really, but you know what I mean).

Of course, the only downside is that the data storage isn't as permanent and safe as a CD. But certainly, it's better than floppies. Oh, and it is a bit pricey, but it's a one-time thing: you won't ever have to buy anything else after you've put about $300 on one of these things. Setup and installation are VERY easy as well.

Alternatively, you could just add more memory to your computer, but that's just not as cool or "personalized" (or as easy, for that matter).[/COLOR]

I would just go with a nice 45-80 gig hard drive. I am assuming that you don't have an insane amount of stuff saved if you only have a 15 gig one right now. No need to fork over the dough for an insane amount of space you won't use.

I have one 80 gig hard drive, and one 40 gig hard drive in my rig. I have stacks of games including Doom 3, HL2, Halo, CoD, and many many others installed, with hundreds of songs, full movie downloads, as well as homework things and just random junk. Haven't even touched my second hard drive yet.

External hard drives are very nice yes, but I personally hate stuff all over my desk. *shrug* Personal prefereance I guess.

[color=#002E55]A lot of hard drives (internal and external) that go over 200GB simply use more platters to increase storage capacity - which means you have more moving parts and a greater chance of mechanical failure. If you do decide to get something around that size, try to get one with a 3 year or above warranty on it.

Also, making an external disk your bootable drive (the hard disk you run the operating system off & store it on) isn't a very good idea, as it will cause a speed bottleneck. Even USB 2.0/Firewire 800 connections (offering 480MB/s and 800MB/s transfer speeds, respectively) cannot provide sufficient speed, even though most disks can't get transfer speeds above 100MB/s, it's not the most important factor in the equation.

But, as just mass storage, they're very good and save opening the computer up to get at IDE/SATA cables. ;)[/color]

[color=#9933ff]Thank you for all your great suggestions, you guys. While I don't have $40 for a burner, much less $300 for an external hard drive, I will keep those in mind once I get a [b]job[/b]. lol. I think they're good ideas if I had the money, so thank you. ^_^

Luminaire was telling me about something her general manager at work suggested (she works at staples). She said that he told her that she could always buy an internal hard drive, and put it inside an external casing that already has a USB port, etc., etc. and that it's probably a little less than $100 altogether for one with 80 gigs.

Anyway, I found out most of the space was eaten up by maxis games (sims and sims2). I took off sims1 so it's "only" eating up 3.4 gigs now. [i]only[/i].

Well, since I don't have any money, it's okay for now. I think you all for the suggestions which I will decide upon. Muchly appreciated. *huggle* ^_^[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkslateblue]

Very odd situation here. When I turn on my speakers, the sound of a camera clicking plays over and over and over again. At first I just restarted my computer, but the sound was still there. I scanned my computer for viruses and adware/spyware, removed everything I found, but it's stll there.

Any help?[/color]