OtakuBoards

The Computer Help Thread

Red

As 80070190 is not a common number, a yahoo search of '80070190' turned back this page first, complete with problem and solution.

[URL]http://www.msn-problems.com/solve-msn-messenger-problem/sign-in/msn-7/msn-messenger-sign-in-80070190.php[/URL]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#9933ff]You know, I think I'm the loser with the most problems that just keeps coming back to this thread. lol.

I can't remember where, exactly (actually, knowing me, I probably got it somewhere on the first page that I can't seem to find anymore, but I found [url=http://www.avast.com/]this[/url] website with anti-virus software a while ago, and I just didn't get a chance to ask about it. Have any of you heard of it and/or is it any good, or should I continue using the online Panda scan software stuff.

Aside from that question, I'll ask this for *someone* who is quite busy and doesn't have time to ask anybody about it (actually, I hope they don't mind me asking. I'll probably get squashed by them if I give them a solution. *_*), but what do you do when you suspect your computer's been hijacked? I mean, everytime they start up Windows XP and it's all done loading, they press Ctrl+Alt+Del and a whole list of processes shows up, most of which they don't even know what they do. Even worse, some of them, when you close them, open again and again. Usually it's not a problem for them, but it's rather annoying, and ends up acting up when everyone else in their family uses that computer without asking (they just surf the web, go on fanfiction.net, etc. I don't think they're d/ling anything).[/color]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Well there is a way to stop all non-essential process from starting automatically and if that's what you need, I'd be happy to help. Otherwise, I'd do a Google search for the unknown processes and see if they're harmful. If they are, then try to delete them (you'll need to find them first - search the computer for the process name). In order to delete them, you'll have to keep them from starting anyway.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#4B0082]Well, I dunno if this is done the same way outside of Windows 2000, but you can go to Start > Run... and type in dxdiag.exe and it should bring up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. That'll list your system specs, as well as what version of DirectX you have installed, under the System tab.

DirectX 9.0c is the latest version, I believe. If you don't have it already, you should be able to get it [url=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en][u]here[/u][/url].[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
When I turn on my computer and it gets to the desktop. Everything on it is gone all the files, even the start menu the only thing thats left is the background. I can't right click either. The only thing I can do is alt-ctrl-delete and go to all the stuff from there. HELP

Hit ctrl. alt. del. and go to File > New Task (run) and type explorer in the window that pops up. I had that same problem awhile back and htat is how I fixed it, was surprised that it was such an easy way to fix. Try that.

[font=arial][size=1][color=darkorchid]I've got spyware problems.

But the thing is, I've tried Spyware Removers.

AdAware. Spy Bot S&D.

They don't work on my computer. All they do is freeze it up and cause it to crash, or they just waste space on my desktop and don't actually do anything. I'm sick to death of the spyware popups and that I can't use Internet Explorer (which I only use for a chatroom I go to, because Mozilla Firefox screws it up and causes lag). I don't know what to do.

Spybot, at least, doesn't freeze up my computer. AdAware is basically worthless to me. But SpyBot says it scans, and that my computer is clean and safe, and two minutes later I have more popups when I'm not surfing the web. Ugh!

I don't have any money to spend on another spyware remover and I don't want to restore my system again, because I can't get my internet back up on my own (I use a wireless router). This is really grinding on my last computer related nerves. x_x;; [/font][/color][/size]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Microsoft released an anti-spyware program that seems pretty good. There are a couple things to note though.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]1. It is still in beta stages.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]2. You must be running Windows 2000 or Windows XP to use it (full list can be found [url="http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/requirements.mspx"]here[/url]).[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue][url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en"]Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta)[/url][/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Just click that link if you want to download it.[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082]I'd try getting some anti-virus software also. I've gotten some things which Ad-Aware and Spybot couldn't pick up, but that got caught by Norton AntiVirus. Between those three, I haven't had much trouble with spyware/viruses.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm is something you could use.

You can buy it and it will delete the files for you, but the free version scans for viruses and spyware. After it scans, it will tell you what files are spyware, and their location, so you can just delete them. It might also give you registry keys to delete. (to get to the registry, go to: start > run and type in "regedit"). Be careful with the registry and just double check everything before you delete any keys, and you'll be fine.

BTW, you need to use Internet explorer to run the free scan. Doesn't make Mozilla people happy, I know, but, *shrugs* it's a damn good virus scan.

Last night I tried so hard to get rid of spyware using spyware removal tools, but I ended up using panda scan and removing it manually. All the spyware is gone, so, I'm very happy with it. ^^;[/color]

When I turn on my computer and it gets to the desktop. Everything on it is gone all the files, even the start menu the only thing thats left is the background. I can't right click either. The only thing I can do is alt-ctrl-delete and go to all the stuff from there. I tried going to new task and putting in explorer.exe and it didn't work HELP PLEASE

Do you have enough ram to start explorer? It takes 3-4 MB on XP. Check Performance--> Physical Memory (K)--> Available. If it reads less than about 3700, you need to end some processes. If this is the case, post a list of processes and we'll try to figure this out.

rundll32
NPROTECT
NPFMNTER
alg
NAVAPSVC
spools
taskmgr
CCEVTMGR
SPBBCSvc
SNDSrvc
CCSETMGR
svchost
svchost
svchost
svchost
explorer
svchost
wuauclt
lsass
services
winlogon
csrss
wdfmgr
symlcsvc
smss
iexplorer
system
System Idle Process

(all of it has .exe at the end of it)

[color=blue]Hmm, how much RAM do you have because I really don't see anything that shouldn't be running there. The only thing I can think of is that Norton (I did a search on the un-known processes and found that they were made by Symantec) is taking up too much of your system's resources.[/color]

Try clicking on 'explorer.exe' and end that task. Then go to new task and run 'explorer.exe' .... worth a try if you haven't tried that already.

Also, If I'm not mistaken "spools.exe" is a trojan. So end that process.

END 'iexplore.exe' and never use it again! Internet Explorer breeds spyware, install Mozilla Firefox. I use it and I haven't had spyware problems in the longest time.

I hope that works.

Edit: I highly doubt that it is a problem of RAM cuz it wouldn't be able to load windows and make it to the log in screen if it didn't have enough RAM to run 'explorer.exe'. AND it's technically running, according to his process list, but it seems like it can't load any further cuz some outside source is hindering it. Which is probably 'spools.exe' and 'iexplore.exe'.

[quote name='BasouKazuma']Also, If I'm not mistaken "spools.exe" is a trojan. So end that process.[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]You are correct. Here's a link if you want more information on the process: [url=http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/spools]spools.exe[/url] I must have missed that one the first time around. But more importantly than ending it is deleting it. You should do a search on your computer's hard drive for "spools.exe" and then delete the file when you find it (make sure the process isn't running first).[/color][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=3]Yes "spools.exe" is a torjan... but you have to be careful. Are you sure it's spools? I mean... spoolsv.exe is the Microsoft Printer program. Be careful, check to make sure it's spools and not spoolsv. If it is spools, do as Petie has said.
[/size][/font]

Ya know what, if you have a spare hard drive, I think it would be easier to install windows on your spare hard drive. Then, when windows is up and running, back up all of the files that you want from the old hard drive to the spare one and reinstall whatever programs you want. INCLUDING FIREFOX!!

That's the fail safe way of fixing most computer problems and once you're done you can format the old hard drive and use that one as a spare.

If you don't want to do that or can't, then I would suggest trying out some tech forum instead of an anime forum such as this one. You'll probably get a lot more help in a tech forum.