The Computer Help Thread

Red

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How exactly are you reaching us here? If the computer you're on now (I.E. the one that works) has the same OS as the messed up one, make a list of the two computers processes and look for a difference. Post the differences and the two lists.

I'm using my moms computer.
Heres a list of the processes on her comp.

iexplore
Weather
ctmon
jusched
CCAPP
rundll32
ViewMgr
rundll32
qttask
alg
NAVAPSVC
mdm
spoolsv
CCEVTMGR
SPBBCSvc
SNDSrvc
explorer
taskmgr
CCSETMGR
svchost
svchost
svchost
wdfmgr
svchost
svchost
lsass
services
winlogon
csrss
symlcsvc
svchost
smss
nvsvc32
NPROTECT
NPFMNTOR
System
System Idle Process

OH! I figured that you were running internet explorer off of the Pc that was screwed up. How come it shows "iexplore.exe" running on the messed up PC? Were you actually using it at the time or not? If you haven't used internet explorer since your pc screwed up, i strongly suggest that you hit end process for "iexplore.exe" and see if that helps. Lots of spyware runs through internet explorer. So if you aren't actively using internet explorer and it shows up in your process list, that should mean that some malicious program is using it. Try ending it if you havent already done so since my first post here.

[QUOTE=BasouKazuma]Ya know what, if you have a spare hard drive, I think it would be easier to install windows on your spare hard drive. Then, when windows is up and running, back up all of the files that you want from the old hard drive to the spare one and reinstall whatever programs you want. INCLUDING FIREFOX!!

That's the fail safe way of fixing most computer problems and once you're done you can format the old hard drive and use that one as a spare.

If you don't want to do that or can't, then I would suggest trying out some tech forum instead of an anime forum such as this one. You'll probably get a lot more help in a tech forum.[/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]While this would technically work, it isn't worth taking that much effort on a small problem like this. Re-installation is a last resort when your computer is so far gone, there's nothing left you can do.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]As for the problem, I wish I could help you but I just don't have enough information to fully understand the problem. I will give it some more thought though.[/color][/font]

[quote name='BasouKazuma']OH! I figured that you were running internet explorer off of the Pc that was screwed up. How come it shows "iexplore.exe" running on the messed up PC? Were you actually using it at the time or not? If you haven't used internet explorer since your pc screwed up, i strongly suggest that you hit end process for "iexplore.exe" and see if that helps. Lots of spyware runs through internet explorer. So if you aren't actively using internet explorer and it shows up in your process list, that should mean that some malicious program is using it. Try ending it if you havent already done so since my first post here.[/quote]

Well I was using internet explorer at the time. On the comp thats messed up I can still access Internet explorer and use it but it's super slow. I can access other programs too. But all my music, video, and document files are gone. The only thing thats left is my programs and folders. And nothing still shows up on the desktop but the background the toolbar is still gone too.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I hate to say it but from what it sounds like, a complete rebuild is your only option. If you can copy your music and whatever else you want to save to a CD (if you have a working CD burner) or something else, go for it. But otherwise, you're going to end up losing everything. Unless we can find another option, that's really it.[/color][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=DarkSlateGray]Well, before you do the complete rebuild... what you have described sounds like something I've done. I had screwed up a theme patcher (which was supposed to allow me to use 3rd party, non microsoft themes) for Windows XP *which it sounds as if your running... with all the SVChosts.

I had messed up the patch, and all my menues were pitch black... Nothing would show.. and it was impossible to do/go anywhere, for everything had vanished into a vast blackness. *Except the wallpaper... which was odd* If you could remember any programs you have installed lately, that could be causing a problem... That could be of great help.

Also, if you don't want to quite try the full re-build *reinstalling windows* I'd recommend during boot up... pressing F8 repeatedly. This will open a Dos menu, and you should select "Run in Safe Mode" or something along those lines. When it finally boots, it should look like the classic Windows. A window should come up asking about system restore. I'd try going back a day or two before this problem started, and see if that helps fix anything. If not, then the full rebuild is the only other option I can think of.
[/color][/size][/font]

Well when I was browsing around I found this file that said "Delete all at Restore" but then I deleted it. And I haven't really installed anything new I had deleted alot of stuff because my computer was slowing,and I scanned my computer for viruses and spyware.

EDIT* If I do decide to do the windows rebuild thing. How would I do that?

[size=1][color=Black]I'm not sure what that delete thing you found does... but the rebuild is simply backing up all your data in some way... and inserting the disk that came with your Windows. It is the Installation disk. It has an option to format *writes over all the data* the Hard Drive... and then reinstalls windows over it.

It is usually a last resort... taken only when nothing else works... have you tried safemode yet?
[/color][/size]

[color=blue]Safe mode would be a good idea to try first. I almost forgot about it. It loads into Windows running only the processes necessary for Windows to function. From there, you may be able to find the process(es) that are causing your problem.[/color]

[QUOTE=Doc][size=1]I recommended it.. and said how to do it in my post before last.. I think Fatel skipped over it... or something. ^_^ That's how I fixed my last comp problem.
[/size][/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]Yeah, I noticed. It was a good suggestion because as I said in a previous post, rebuilding should really be a [i]last[/i] resort. Safe mode has a chance to at least show what the problem is.[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem, but it's definetly important and annoying.

My computer (Windows 2000) restarts out of the blue. I can't really call it random, because when I use it for extended periods of time (2+ hours) it might cut out, but I've used it for much longer runs, and it's been fine. However, when I leave the computer alone (not using it at all), it rarely ever does this. Might this be because of a messed up heat-sync inside, or something of the sort? I've removed the dust from all the fans, and anything else blocking the way, but it still does it.

I'm wondering if I have to defragment my computer now... or if that will do anything to solve this problem. It doesn't seem like it will. On a side note, I don't have ANY spyware/viruses on this computer.[/SIZE]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm not really sure what would cause that to happen but a defragment would never hurt. Another thing you might want to check though is how much of your computer's resources you're using when you're doing what you normally do when it crashes, though I'm not if you can do that the same way in 2000 as you can in XP though.[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082]Though this isn't a fix in itself, it may help you get more information about what's causing the problem: Go to the My Computer icon, right click it, and select Properties from the context menu. Open the Advanced tab, then click the Startup and Recovery button. Then, under the System Failure section, uncheck the Automatically Reboot checkbox, if it isn't already.

With that unchecked, the system won't automatically reboot if it's a program that's causing Windows to crash; instead, you'll get the "blue screen of death." Of course, you'll have to reboot the system anyway. ... But that way you'll at least know it's most likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem, and you can go from there.[/color]

[color=darkred]Roxie just called me and she has a problem. She installed a pop-up blocker called "wyvern" and then tried to uninstall it. She uninstalled it successfully. Then she wanted to remove the spyware that came with it. She went to ?add/remove programs? and found a bunch of things that shouldn?t have been in there (She does not really know the names of them). She removed a bunch and then when she she got one of them (not sure of name) and hit the remove button, the computer got stuck. Not a complete freeze, she could still move the mouse. She started clicking randomly on the screen and then after a while it unfroze. And then, in the add/remove programs list, there was nothing. Not a single program. She closed the window. Then she was clicking around on the desktop and nothing would work. Every time she double-clicked an icon, nothing would happen. So she used the key on the keyboard to open the Start menu, and then she restarted the computer. On the shutdown options menu, Standby is normally on it, and it suddenly wasn?t (I don?t know if that is important). She restarted it in Safe Mode. And it said:

[b]Explorer - this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.[/b]

It says that whether she has it in Safe Mode or not.

If she hits "close" nothing happens and it won't finish starting up. All she can see is her wallpaper. No taskbar, start button, or icons. Nothing.

If she hits "details" it says:

[b]EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 0177:00401f31.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0177 EIP=00401f31
EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00000001 SS=017f ESP=0080feec
EBP=0080fef4
ECX=c1689bc0 DS=017f ESI=00000000 FS=23c7
EDX=0080fefc ES=017f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 08 50 ff 11 8b 45 08 50 8b 08 ff 51 08 8b 45
Stack dump:
00401ee0 0080fefc 0080ff34 00405cac 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000001 00404436 00000000
0059fc0c 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 [/b]

I hope that is useful to someone because that was annoying to type. >_<

She has Windows 98SE. And at the moment has the disc ?Windows Microsoft Operating System? and the floppy ?Windows 98 Emergency Boot Disc?. Can either of those help? When she puts in the boot disc, she thinks she needs to enter prompt commands for the A drive or something. She doesn?t know how to do that.

When she presses F8 when it is first booting up, it gives her the choices:

1. Normal
2. Logged (/BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe Mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. Command Prompt Only
6. Safe Mode Command Prompt Only

Should she use one of those? If so, which one? How does she use it if there are no instructions? Should she try each?

If nothing else works, would reformatting her computer be the best solution? If yes, how would she do that?

Please respond immediately. She is very upset. She is on the verge of having a nervous breakdown.

Thank you in advance. ^_^

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]It wounds like it's time for System Restore. I just hope there's a restore point early enough that she doesn't lose too much. I think I was actually going to walk her through this at some point but she didn't have enough time. Either way, it will be easier to do on AIM if you'd like the help. If the need arises, I'll type out a full explanation here but AIM would make things simpler.[/color][/font]

[color=#9933ff]I love you. I will worship the ground you walk on for the next month. You have no idea of the sorry state I was in. Actually, my dog went to the groomers today, and he was shaking and wimpering on the car ride there. That was me with a broken computer. Only I was talking a lot too. I was shaking for about three hours until you IMed her and we got everything.

I heart you lots. I'm so excited that I got my compy fixed fixed fixed. =D *hands you paper flowers and hearts and pretty things because she's just so excited right now it's almost like she's hyper* ^_^ [/color]

In the future you really need to research what you're downloading more... I've never even heard of that pop-up blocker. If you hate pop-ups, you might be best off downloading a different browser like Firefox, which should work on your computer no problem.

If you get stuff like Microsoft Anti-Spyware, AdAware or Spybot Search & Destroy it sounds like most of the problems you typically have would be avoided.

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]In the future you really need to research what you're downloading more... I've never even heard of that pop-up blocker. If you hate pop-ups, you might be best off downloading a different browser like Firefox, which should work on your computer no problem.

If you get stuff like Microsoft Anti-Spyware, AdAware or Spybot Search & Destroy it sounds like most of the problems you typically have would be avoided.[/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]Switching browsers isn't the only option. I use the Google Toolbar which has a built in pop-up blocker. It does work pretty well though will sometimes get confused and block requested pop-ups (though you can just hold Ctrl and re-click the link if this happens). Plus, it also adds a search bar to IE which makes it easier to search instead of having to go to the Google homepage. And, if you don't use Google, Yahoo and MSN both have toolbars as well.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]But yes, things like Microsoft Anti-Spyware and the rest of the software mentioned above would probably be a good idea to get (though I'm not entirely sure if Microsoft Anti-Spyware will run on 98).[/color][/font]

[color=#9933ff]I have tried some of those options, and things are fine, now, so thank you, again. ^^;

I have another problem, but before I say anything else, I'd like to say IT IS TOTALLY NOT MY FAULT. And that's the truth.

My sister is moving out, and taking her computer with her (well duh). We have DSL (verizon if you must know. o.o), and she used to have the modem box thingy in her room, and there was an antennae on the back of our comp. to pick up the signal. Well, she removed that, opened up the inside of my computer to install this card for the DSL. Not the modem box thingy, this ?card? ? whatever the hell that means. (I?m sad to say that my mother knows more about the DSL than me because whenever anything about it happens, I?m never there. I don?t even know the terminology. *falls over*)

And now the problem is, when I go to the start menu and try to shut down the computer, yeah, it shuts down (completely). Then two seconds later, the computer starts up again. It?s like some monster that comes back to life every time you try to kill it. >_> Of course, if you hold the power button long enough, it will shut down again, but I?m under the impression that isn?t the right way to shut down your computer.

The reason I was telling you about the DSL is because I figured that it had something to do with the reason my computer won?t shut down.

Later (like an hour ago), my mom decides to talk to me and generally piss me off, but she was also like ?maybe those people on that message board can fix this.? I wanted to chuck a CD at her. If it?s a physical hardware problem, there probably isn?t much you guys can do about it (cause yer not sitting right in front of it, you know?). but I?m asking anyway, so that the next time my mother bugs me I can tell her that I did ask you all.

I probably owe all of you money for helping me out so much. So, thanks in advance for putting up with me now, too. I really appreciate it, since I bet you all hate me by now. >_> (I would hate me too. :/ )[/color]

I certainly wasn't saying it's the only option, but I personally don't want to agree for Google and whoever else to be able to trace sites I visit and whatever else that's listed in the agreement you need to check off before installing it lol. As far as I'm concerned that's spyware people are (hopefully) knowingly agreeing to. I'd rather avoid it entirely.

Oh well, at least your computer works. I hope it stays that way.

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]I certainly wasn't saying it's the only option, but I personally don't want to agree for Google and whoever else to be able to trace sites I visit and whatever else that's listed in the agreement you need to check off before installing it lol. As far as I'm concerned that's spyware people are (hopefully) knowingly agreeing to. I'd rather avoid it entirely.

Oh well, at least your computer works. I hope it stays that way.[/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]Actually, you opt-in to the tracing of sites. You can check off not to participate which will keep you from sending any information to Google at all. Plus, spyware is (usually) two sided. One side collects your information (and sometimes personally identifiable information, whereas Google does not), and the other uses that information to bombard you with popups and other unneeded things. Though sometimes, it is just to collect information so I can see where you'd be skeptical.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]MistressRoxie, I'm not really sure why that would happen. The first thing I'd do is make sure the card is installed right (just check to see if it's pushed in all the way).[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]Next, I'd try to find the latest drivers for it. Windows Update would be a good place to start unless the manufacturer has a website where you can download them from.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]Finally, try unplugging the computer completely and leave it like that for a few minutes (five should be enough). Then try plugging it back in, turning it on, and running shut-down again.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]I'll look more into this and if I find a solution, I'll be sure to tell you.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=blue]While I know this has become the "Help Ms. Roxie" thread, I was hoping someone can help me with my peculiar problem. ;)

Lately, I've made a ton of system changes. I unfortunately didn't keep track of them. I installed and uninstalled a lot of programs for the sake of checking them out. Then my work went into overtime and I didn't use my computer enough to notice a problem that could have been there for months (who browses their computer files anyway?).

Anyway, whenever I use windows explorer, it works for a while and then freezes up. If I wait like, twenty minutes, it'll unfreeze (and then freeze later), but usually I have to ctrl-alt-delete it. It happens more frequently if I put the window out of focus for a while.

Is there anything I could do to fix this minor nuisance aside from a full, unadulterated format?[/COLOR]