OtakuBoards

The Computer Help Thread

Red

[SIZE=1]Hello, OtakuBoards.

I installed Firefox last year after getting annoyed at IE, not that IE was exceptionally bad, it was just some members in my family had intsalled so many of those "useful" toolbars that it took up half the screen!

Anyway, it's been really good up until a point last week where I discovered that a malicious trojan was clugging up my CPU memory and grinding my computer to a halt, I ran a search for the thing and deleted it, but ever since Firefox has been running slow, mostly when I start it up it's refusing to show the homepage for several minutes.

The trojan I found and deleted was called rlvknlg.exe and I'm wondering if I did something wrong, You see, I delted the .exe file myself without the aid of Nortons since our registration has run out, I'm wondeirng if that messed up Firefox, everything else runs as smooth as. I've tried upgrading to the lates firefox but it still has the startup glug.

Is there a possibility that the trojan was not deleted and has started taking revenge? of is there something else I need to do. If you can help me restore my FireFox you'll be my friend for life. ;)

Thankyou for your time *nods graciously*

EDIT: Apparently a couple of random thigns tend to help it start up, iether I scroll my mouse wheel fast, or swap between browser tabs or programs, wierd huh?

Current FireFox edition: 1.0.6[/SIZE]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][color=blue]While I know this has become the "Help Ms. Roxie" thread, I was hoping someone can help me with my peculiar problem. ;)

Lately, I've made a ton of system changes. I unfortunately didn't keep track of them. I installed and uninstalled a lot of programs for the sake of checking them out. Then my work went into overtime and I didn't use my computer enough to notice a problem that could have been there for months (who browses their computer files anyway?).

Anyway, whenever I use windows explorer, it works for a while and then freezes up. If I wait like, twenty minutes, it'll unfreeze (and then freeze later), but usually I have to ctrl-alt-delete it. It happens more frequently if I put the window out of focus for a while.

Is there anything I could do to fix this minor nuisance aside from a full, unadulterated format?[/color][/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]Hehe, the "Help Ms. Roxie" thread. I think we can still find some time to help you out too ^_^[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]There are a couple of things I need to know though. First, what operating system are you using? Next, how long has it been since you started making these system changes?[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]The reason I ask the second is because what I'm going to recommend (system restore) will require reverting your settings back to a day or two [i]before[/i] you started making these changes. Don't worry though, you won't lose files or anything like that. It will just revert program changes and registry files.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Zeekan][size=1]Hello, OtakuBoards.

I installed Firefox last year after getting annoyed at IE, not that IE was exceptionally bad, it was just some members in my family had intsalled so many of those "useful" toolbars that it took up half the screen!

Anyway, it's been really good up until a point last week where I discovered that a malicious trojan was clugging up my CPU memory and grinding my computer to a halt, I ran a search for the thing and deleted it, but ever since Firefox has been running slow, mostly when I start it up it's refusing to show the homepage for several minutes.

The trojan I found and deleted was called rlvknlg.exe and I'm wondering if I did something wrong, You see, I delted the .exe file myself without the aid of Nortons since our registration has run out, I'm wondeirng if that messed up Firefox, everything else runs as smooth as. I've tried upgrading to the lates firefox but it still has the startup glug.

Is there a possibility that the trojan was not deleted and has started taking revenge? of is there something else I need to do. If you can help me restore my FireFox you'll be my friend for life. ;)

Thankyou for your time *nods graciously*

EDIT: Apparently a couple of random thigns tend to help it start up, iether I scroll my mouse wheel fast, or swap between browser tabs or programs, wierd huh?

Current FireFox edition: 1.0.6[/size][/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]The first thing I'd try is just completely uninstalling Firefox, restarting the computer, and then re-installing Firefox. This could be all you need to do if you haven't tried it already.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Otherwise, do you by any chance know when the trojan process started showing up? If you do, you could use System Restore to go back to a couple days before you got the trojan and avoid it to begin with.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][b]Edit:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]Heh, didn't realize the double-post there until just now. I must have hit submit at the same time as someone else and then saw the new post and replied to that as well ^_^ Oh well, it's fixed now. Sorry about that.[/color][/font]

[size=1]What Petie has offered some really sound advice. And, since your nortin registraition has run out.. I'd recommend avast! antivirus. If you are interested, run a google search for it. It has a constant monitering feature, and has prevented me from getting a few nasty trojans. ^_^
[/size]

[i]I probably posted this in the wrong place, sorry if I did.[/i]

I did contact the MSN messenger people about this through the "newsgroup" thing, and got no response, so I'm gonna ask here if anyone can figure it out.

A month or so ago, my computer got scanned with Norton (Well, actually Symantec Client Security), and found some trojans and I allowed to to take the normal course of action: Quarantine. It removed some files hidden in the C:\Winxp\SYSTEM32\ directory.

Now, MSN messenger rarely loads up properly. It will "jump" me in and out, according to some of the people on my list. And all I can do is crtl+alt+delete and go to Processes and end MsnMsgr.exe. It just doesn't work. But...

If my sister logs in, and just presses the reset button on the tower, and then I let Windows XP boot up normally, I can log in to my profile and use MSN no problem.

This is quite strange, and I see no reason why my sister's profile influences my use of MSN messenger in the way it does.

If they're needed, some basic computer specs:

Mobo: Soyo 5EMA-
RAM: 192 mb
HDD: 40 GB Maxtor partitioned into a 10gb C: and the rest D:
Processor: AMD K6-2 350 MHz

So if anyone can reccomend something to make a quick fix, please post it. I have done a reinstall, but it didn't help.

[color=blue]I would recommend doing the same thing I recommended to Zeekan. Just try completely uninstalling MSN Messenger, restarting the computer, and reinstalling it. Sometimes, virus scanners remove parts of other programs (usually because the virus changed them in some way) and reinstalling restores those parts.[/color]

Other wise known as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware]malware (clicky!)[/url].

I would suggest that you [i]might[/i] have continuing problems with msn messenger and internet explorer in future until the operating system is reinstalled even if you have reinstalled these programs. If you do and if a reinstall sounds like a big thing that you couldn't be bothered with I suggest doing what I do in that case... Switch to [url=http://mozilla.org/]Firefox and Thunderbird (clicky!)[/url] for browsing and email and an alternative like Gaim (google it) for msn as this almost (almost!) eliminates this sort of thing happening in future.
I recommend doing this anyway as our friends at Microsoft seem to have little idea how to write a program that is secure. :)

[font=Verdana][color=blue] What do you use to create zipped folders? If it's something like WinZip, have you checked to make sure it's still installed? Also, are you sure the icons haven't just changed? Sometimes, that can happen and it will look like zipped folders are regular folders (though it can happen with any icons).[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
A few days ago I put in a USB flash drive that my dad had found. My computer restarted itself twice, and then opened a prompt that said it had recovered from a serious error. This now happens every night between when I go to bed (11 p.m.) to when I awake (7 a.m.). Yet for some reason it does nothing during the day, when I am away for 10 hours instead of 8. I looked at the files on the drive on my Win2000 laptop and only found high school portfolio pieces. Could someone explain this?

Edit- My comp has crashed twice in the last 10 minutes.

[color=blue]I'm not sure what's causing that to happen but I'd recommend using System Restore and going back to the day before you first tried to use the flash drive. Then, just wait a couple of days and see if the problem persists.[/color]

[color=blue]Oh, well that makes things much simpler. Just go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Follow the on screen instructions and chose a date before the computer started acting up from the calendar and you should be fine.[/color]

I am pretty computer illiterate... I've never really had to worry about the computer jargon since my parents paid for my computer and made all the decisions... But now that our household is getting a little bigger I'm thinking of getting a laptop for myself...

I'm not sure what to look for (I know ---GB refers to the space, but that's about it).. Can anyone give me the definitions of like... What the speed of the comp is called and etc?

Speed is measured in hz, as in Mhz or Ghz. In a laptop, look for about 1.2 Ghz for a ultraportable or 3 for a desktop replacement.

Memory (RAM) is very important. Make sure it has at least 256 Mb (512 for photo/video editing or 512 to 2 gigs for gaming.)

Make sure you know what disk drive it has. I'm kind of pressed for time, so I'll just say strive for a CDRW/DVD combo drive or a CDRW/DVDRW(preferable) combo drive.

Unless you have used MACs before, stick with windows.

[quote name='Petie][color=blue']Oh, well that makes things much simpler. Just go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Follow the on screen instructions and chose a date before the computer started acting up from the calendar and you should be fine.[/color][/quote]
I tried 2 different dates and they both said that the system shut dwon incorrectly. I have found that it shuts down at 11:30 pm.

[quote name='Morpheus']I tried 2 different dates and they both said that the system shut dwon incorrectly. I have found that it shuts down at 11:30 pm.[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]Hmm... the only thing I can think of would be to go back even further then. By the way, System Restore only restores system settings (including installed/uninstalled programs) and the registry. You will not lose any of your saved files though.[/color][/font]

[quote name='ThoraxtheImpaler']Hey, is there any free way to get zipped folders? I can't get winzip cuz' I have no money.[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]If you're running Windows XP, just right click on the file you want to zip, go to Send To, and click on Compressed (zipped) Folder.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I actually use WinRAR myself. Since I first got it, I haven't really used anything else. It does its job and does it well. It says it's a trial version and that you need to buy it after 30 days but as far as I can see, the evaluation copy never expires. You just lose access to a couple of features which aren't as important.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Anyway, you can find WinRAR here: [url=http://www.rarlab.com/]WinRAR Homepage[/url][/color][/font]

• 1 month later...
[font=Verdana][color=blue]It should be fine as Disk Cleanup application that you can run from the properties page of the disk gives you the option to delete them. There's no harm in leaving them unless you need the space though.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=#004a6f]I recently installed adobe acrobat pro 7 on my pc, but I'm having a slight problem. Acrobat keeps launching at startup. Not acrobat speed launcher, not adobe gamma, acrobat.exe is launching at startup. I tried running msconfig but acrobat isn't anywhere on the list of startup applications. Is there any way to fix this?[/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms][color=red][b]I used System Recovery to fix this problem. So ignore this message if you want to.[/b][/color]

My good computer that I normally use is fried, so I'm typing this on dad's pitiful computer. Bascially, when I turn on my computer, it either boots up with no taskbar and no keyboard/mouse function, or it'll come up with the taskbar, complete with Start button and clock, but no background programs and the only thing I can really do is hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete. NOthing seems to work, and I'd rather not suffer through another System Recovery, so I'm asking for other options, if there isn't anything else I can do, I'll just have to do it. :([/font]