OtakuBoards

The Computer Help Thread

Red

[SIZE=1]Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have a new game (city of villains if anyone is interested) and apparently it only works on DVD drives. I myself only have a regular CD-ROM drive and I was wondering if I can do anything to get the disc to work (short of buying a DVD drive myself).

Any ideas?[/SIZE]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have a new game (city of villains if anyone is interested) and apparently it only works on DVD drives. I myself only have a regular CD-ROM drive and I was wondering if I can do anything to get the disc to work (short of buying a DVD drive myself).

Any ideas?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Nope. Buy a DVD drive or the CD version of the game, cause CD-Roms don't play DVDs no matter what you do.[/font][/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
My computer keeps restarting by itself and I know when it's gonna do it cuz the toolbar turns from XP toolbar to the old microsoft toolbar then it just restarts. And when I get back on the problem thing pops up and says "winlogon.exe had encountered a problem and needed to shutdown". Same thing all the time. How do I stop it from doing this?

I will assume, by your description, you are using [b]Windows XP[/b] (next time, please include your windows version). IF YOU ARE NOT USING WINDOWS XP, USE OPTIONS 2, 4, 5.

First, you need to prevent your computer from shutting down while you are doing this operations, open a Command Prompt window
[code]Start >> Run >> cmd[/code]

In the command prompt type (but do not execute!):
[code]shutdown -a[/code]

If you see your computer is going to shutdown, switch task to the command prompt and execute the command.

[b]First[/b], make sure your computer has all the latest security patches installed. To search for new security updates, point your browser to: [url]http://update.microsoft.com/[/url]. NOTE that the online update system will only work in Internet Explorer, as it requires embedded ActiveX controls.

In case your computer is properly updated or the problem was not solved:
[b]Option 1: [/b]Use System Restore:
[code]Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >>
System Restore[/code]
and restore your computer to a day earlier than the problem started. Remember to install the latest security patches after this.

[b]Option 2: [/b]Update your antivirus software, reboot your computer in safe mode, and run a virus scan. If you do not have an antivirus software, get one.

[b]Option 3: [/b]Uninstall any skinning engines you have in windows. Reboot your computer in safe mode, locate the file winlogon.exe and delete it. This file will be automatically created by windows.

[b]Option 4: [/b]Call your computer's manufacturer tech support. Most likely, you will need to provide them with your computer's registration number. Have the model of your computer and [b]full[/b] OS version handy at the moment.

[b]Option 5: [/b]Backup your data and reinstall Windows.

[quote name='MangaFan007][b]First[/b], make sure your computer has all the latest security patches installed. To search for new security updates, point your browser to: [url]http://update.microsoft.com/[/url']. NOTE that the online update system will only work in Internet Explorer, as it requires embedded ActiveX controls.[/quote]
For users who do not wish to use Internet Explorer to apply their Windows Updates due to its security flaws the following service is worth bookmarking [url]http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/[/url] . WindizUpdate allows you to update Windows easily using Firefox, Opera, MSIE, and practically any mainstream browser plus it tends to be quicker and the update function doesn't break like the official Windows Update System.

• 2 months later...
I have a toshiba satellite laptop. For some reason it likes to shut off when it gets too hot. I just assumed it was a safety feature for the computer. Although lately the shut off has been happening more and more to now if I even run a virus scan it shuts off. The laptop is only a little over a year old. Do any of you guys know what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

[quote name='Foredaddy']I have a toshiba satellite laptop. For some reason it likes to shut off when it gets too hot. I just assumed it was a safety feature for the computer. Although lately the shut off has been happening more and more to now if I even run a virus scan it shuts off. The laptop is only a little over a year old. Do any of you guys know what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D[/quote]
I've got the same laptop, same problem. I hate toshiba. Simple fix, Go into your "toshiba power management utility" and go into the 'details'->"Power Save mode" tab, and drop Processor Speed to the lowest setting available. this'll fix most problems, and you won't notice a difference in computer speed. go figure.

I keep my laptop propped up, as well. I have a grid-shelf it's sitting on for airflow, and an inverted Keyboard Wrist-rest the back of the laptop to raise it even more.

[QUOTE=Final Remix]I've got the same laptop, same problem. I hate toshiba. Simple fix, Go into your "toshiba power management utility" and go into the 'details'->"Power Save mode" tab, and drop Processor Speed to the lowest setting available. this'll fix most problems, and you won't notice a difference in computer speed. go figure.

I keep my laptop propped up, as well. I have a grid-shelf it's sitting on for airflow, and an inverted Keyboard Wrist-rest the back of the laptop to raise it even more.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I can't believe it was that easy. Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it!

• 2 months later...
The best spyware\trojan removal I have ever received is with a program call Counterspy. Rated #1 in spyware protection in PC World Magazine. This program works so well it would be sin not to have it. And at $20 a year u really cant go wrong, give it a try with this free trial. Not only will it scan ur computer, but also rid it of its problem where most "free trials" only allow u to scan and u must purchase the product to rid urself of the problem. Counterspy got my system running smoothly with detection of bugs and even hidden trojans Norton and other spyware programs consistantly overlooked..

[URL=http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm][COLOR=RoyalBlue][I]Counterspy Download[/I][/COLOR][/URL]

Enjoy!! :animesmil

• 4 months later...
My computer is having a major problem right now, and I can't figure it out. Suddenly it only has 2% free space left, and so I can't defragment it. I have no clue what is taking up all the space. Is there a way for me to find out what's taking up all that space and get rid of it? Thanks

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I've had a problem like this before and it took me forever to figure it out. Run a search on your hard drive (include hidden files and folders as well as operating system files) for the term "CSC." Alternatively, you can navigate to C:\Windows\CSC (you'll need to show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected operating system files in your folder options). Right click on it and click properties. Chances are, it's a very large folder. Just delete everything inside it and you should be okay.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Also, to keep this from happening again, go to Tools -> Folder Options from the explorer window and then uncheck Enable Offline Files in the Offline Files tab.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]If this isn't your problem, just let me know and I'll see what else I can find. Good luck![/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Under the View tab in Folder Options (Tools -> Folder Options in an explorer window), do you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" unchecked?[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Hmm... I'm not sure what the problem is then. Here's my suggestion though. Open up an explorer window, go to your C drive, and right click -> properties on each folder within it. Then. post a list of each folder (just the ones in the root of C, not their sub folders) and their sizes as well as your hard drive size and we'll go from there.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
'lo,

Just in case anyone else has a problem similar to this one, there's a lovely little freeware app called treesize (located [url=http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml][b]here[/b][/url]) which gives you a size breakdown for all folders on your computer. Far better than right clicking and hitting properties for every single one!

A lot of computer software and games take up space on my computer right now. Also, some files take up a lot of space. some of them i don't need, so i just delete them and get rid of them for good. There are way too many word files and excel files still stored on my hard drive. Some games take up a whole heck opf a lot of space upo as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently purchased a new PC (Advent T9207 with XP media center), and it keeps returning a BSOD (Blue screen of doom). its the same every time, including the exeption handler; which is one I have never seen before: CHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

So does anyone know a) what this is/means and b) how to fix it?

Cheers,

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I did a quick look in the knowledge base for Microsoft and the only thing it turned up was that it could be this ?MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION? If it is here?s the link to the article on possible causes and how to fix it. [URL=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284/en-us]Article[/URL]

I?ve actually had this happen before and it turned out that one of my memory chips was faulty and had to be replaced. If you have two chips, try removing one and see if you still get the error, if you do replace it with the other one, if the error goes away then the chip you took out is probably faulty. There are other reasons listed on the page as well. Anyway, good luck. ^_~ [/COLOR]