OtakuBoards

What do otakus think about Homosexuality?

Miryoku

I know it's a huge and almost genaric subject but i'm curios. What do you guys think? why is it so taboo, i'm Bisexual and my parents still haven't gotten over it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, if you love some one why does it matter. my parents keep saying its wrong but they don't answer me when i ask why. What makes my parents and the world so closedminded on the subject. sorry for starting a thread like this but i'm just confused and need help. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I know thare have been many threads like this but i need personal help. I'm so confused and i don't get why people can't accept me, not even my own parents can. but yeah please help. i realy need it.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1]I see nothing wrong with it. I'm not in any way interested in other guys, lol, but I think gay couples should have the same rights as heterosexual couples. Except for IVF...recently I've read an article which has influenced my opinion on this. IVF is for people who due to a physical problem, cannot have babies. Not for people who were never meant to have babies.

But, I support rights to adopt, right to marry, and the right to other freedoms associated with marriage. Or anything, in fact.

As for your parents not accepting your attitude, that is a shame, but understandable. Many people find the idea of homosexuality gross and disgusting. I think most people focus on the, uuh, sex side of it, which I find pretty gross too. But, they fail to focus on love and feelings.

Basically, forget about your parents. They can think what they want. As long as you're happy, then it is alright. You need to stop thinking that everyone should think the same way you do, you should stop needing people to agree with you, and move on. If they don't like it now, the chances are that they're not going too. Ever.[/size]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]I think homosexuals are fine, lol. I have nothing against them, and I'm all for giving them the rights to marriage and adoption and what have you. Which is really strange as my Dad is a massive chauvenist who hates them with a passion, lol.

I'm thinking most of the rubbish about homesexuality being evil roots from Christianity, as before Christianity it was acceptable for it to take place (not so much in women, though). In Ancient Greece/Rome/etc it was entirely acceptable, and noone would raise an eyebrow at all. But I'm not really an expert on the subject....

I agree with Baron about your parents. Forget about your parents, their disapproval won't change the fact, no matter how much they wish it would.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I, too, have no problem with homosexuality.

Everyone is who they are. It's as simple as that. If that means that you are a homosexual, then that's you. It shouldn't matter. I think the major problem with people is the xenophobia of the alternative sexuality. It's so pointless to shun others due to their homosexuality or bisexuality.

It sickens me to see people who happen to have a sexual preference to the same gender get picked on or something like that.
[/size]

[color=darkslateblue][size=1]I have no problem whatsoever with homosexuality. In fact, I would say that fifty percent of my friends are homosexual or bisexual. I myself prefer to hang out and be friends with them more than I would most heterosexuals. Most of my friends who are homo/bisexual are really funny, outgoing, and intelligent. So it's always interesting to spend time with them.

[/color][/size]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Navy][size=1]Time to repeat what everybody else has said already...[/size]

Despite the fact that some people are disusted by it, it's rediculous to think of homo or bisexuality as 'wrong' or 'unnatural'. The fact that humans [i]do[/i] feel homosexuality means that it [i]is[/i] natural. Just because not everyone feels it, or that two people of the same gender can't reproduce, doesn't mean it's wrong. It's just another thing that differs from person to person.

On the parents issue, like the others have said, it's not their choice. Though they may not respect how you feel, that doesn't change the fact that you do indeed feel it. I would suggest, though, that you avoid conflicts with your parents. At least until you're old enough to move out (heh heh). Arguments with parents just leads to more tension. (And hey, if all else fails, make 'em feel guilty. ... Ok, don't do that.)

And again, to repeat everyone else who's posted...
I think gay marriage should be legal. Why should homosexuals be denied the bond of marriage? Everyone should have the right to something such as marriage. One thing I believe they were considering: if people have a problem with gay marriage, then call it something else. A form of legally bonding two people under a different name. While some people may still have a problem with it, at least the church will get off their backs. Hopefully.

One more thing- using the word 'gay' as an insult. Example: "that's so gay." or "you're gay."
While it may slip from my own mouth every now and then, it really pisses me off. Who started using it as a negative term? (They deserve an ***-kicking.)[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Miryoku']I know it's a huge and almost genaric subject but i'm curios. What do you guys think? why is it so taboo, i'm Bisexual and my parents still haven't gotten over it.[/quote]

[color=green]Taboo? I think not. While some people may frown upon homosexuality because of their religious beliefs, I think that all sexual orientations are more or less respected and celebrated in America. Take for instance Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, or several HBO shows that star homosexual couples, or characters on other popular TV shows that have ?come out of the closet?.

My parents haven?t gotten over me joining our school?s GSA, even though I?m straight. It?s something that I suspect, like racism, will slowly pass away as people grow more tolerant over time.[/color]

[quote name='Miryoku'] I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, if you love some one why does it matter.[/quote]

[color=green]Exactly, there [b]is[/b] nothing wrong with being homosexual.[/color]

[quote name='Miryoku'] my parents keep saying its wrong but they don't answer me when i ask why. What makes my parents and the world so closedminded on the subject [/quote]

[color=green]My dad does the same thing sometimes, when I ask him why homosexuals shouldn?t be allowed to marry. He keeps coming back to immorality, which comes from his religious (Baptist) beliefs. While I?m not so sure about gay marriage either, I respect his views.[/color]

[quote name='Miryoku']I'm so confused and i don't get why people can't accept me, not even my own parents can. but yeah please help. i realy need it.[/quote]

[color=green]Most schools have a GSA, and I?m sure there are other students in your school who are either homosexual, or ambiguous about their sexuality. It helps to know people you can relate to in that fashion. If you can?t find any, there are a few people on the boards who would probably lend a sympathetic ear. Try contacting TN.[/color]

Miryoku I don?t no what to tell you to answer your question i dont see any thing wrong with it but you got to remember that when a child is born it doesn?t know hate are intolerants the if its raised around this that what it will think for maybe the rest of its life parents or the people that raised the child have a lot more influences then most people think but you cant blame the parents most likely are that?s how they where I don?t no how I can type this but I hoped it kind of answered your question the only advise I can give you is to just forget the crap about it being wrong just live and let live and bout your parents I?m shur they will come around sooner are later

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]BIG caveat, people: in Christianity (and most religions for that matter), it is not a sin to be a homosexual. Rather, homosexual ACTS are sinful. Now, to play Devil's Advocate (ironically)...

What's with thrusting the burden of proof on the other side? Why does anyone have to tell you what is wrong with homosexuality? Instead, why don't you explain what is right about it? Is it possible that you are unsure of your stance and know that to prosecute is certainly easier than to defend?

C'mon, start the ball rolling: it's in your court![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

EDIT: As for Mirokyu, I say you should sitdown and talk with your parents (if nothing else) instead of shunning them.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]]People already have been saying what's right with it, but I can add to it. Research shows that homosexual couples have a more even gender roles, meaning they don't fall back onto the traditional female/male roles of bread winner/house wife as easily.

I see adoption of children by them, can only really be a win/win situation since you'd give a good home to a child that doesn't have one.

Oh and the funniest one. In New Zealand it has been proven that there are indeed, gay/homosexual male sheep. There's about a 12 sheep per person ratio here, so.. it's really funny to think how many of the rams are homosexual xD[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='DerelictDestiny][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]People already have been saying what's right with it, but I can add to it. Research shows that homosexual couples have a more even gender roles, meaning they don't fall back onto the traditional female/male roles of bread winner/house wife as easily.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]What's wrong with asymmetry? Are you saying that it's somehow inefficient? I'm not seeing how that makes homosexuality good (or bad). [QUOTE=DerelictDestiny][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I see adoption of children by them, can only really be a win/win situation since you'd give a good home to a child that doesn't have one.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]That really doesn't make homosexuality right. All this statement tells me is that there's some chance that a gay couple will adopt, and that'll make everyone happier. Again, the same problem with the first argument: doesn't really show how homosexuality is good (or bad). Anyone can adopt - or choose not too. [QUOTE=DerelictDestiny][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Oh and the funniest one. In New Zealand it has been proven that there are indeed, gay/homosexual male sheep. There's about a 12 sheep per person ratio here, so.. it's really funny to think how many of the rams are homosexual xD[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]So... you are now comparing animal behavior to homosexuals... What does animal behavior have to do with human homosexuality? Some animals eat their babies...

I don't see how that is helping any scenario, especially since animals will do it with a rock. The more intelligent ones tend to remember and play with rocks over and over.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I've got a friend who is gay. It was kinda hard to get used to the idea at first but as time passed I got used to it. Everyone thinks their fine with homosexuality until they are actually faced with the concept. I was one who thought I was fine but when my friend told me it completely caught me off guard.

Guest Crimson Spider
All of a sudden I feel like a black sheep here. So don't go dissin on my thoughts aieyt!

Ah yes, homosexuality and bisexuality. I'm not fond of either of them to tell you the truth. I'm not going to manufacture this "Oh everyone should be treated equally regardless of their preferacne" because I don't believe that. I mean, if it weren't for people questioning things, we would have a very ignorant concept of the world around us.

You see, I've held this philosophy about homosexuality ever since I was five years old, and it still stands with me today.

Screw whomever you want. Just don't bother me with it.

And normally it ends there. But oh man do they bother me with it! People going around asking me (in person) stuff like "What are your thoughts on homosexuality?" and when I don't give them that manufactured spoon-fed response, they are all like "Why not? You should respect other peoples beliefs. It's not their fault!" and then a bunch of guys I had no idea hung that way get in my face trying to start a problem even though I'm both taller and heavier than they are. Mind my poor sentence structuring. Then a large portion of the school body starts trying to insult me or isolate me because I finally admitted my opinion, half of them because they won't want to be discriminated against for their thoughts either.

So due to these pressures and people asking me to try to justify my thoughts while hypocritically saying that I should just accept theirs, I sought out a large portion of information and stuff, which caused me to not like homosexuality.

Then we reach the concept of bisexuality. I don't like this either. From many psychological standpoint, it is on grounds worse than homosexuality. On many it isn't. I'm a little more tolerable of bisexuality than I am of homosexuality though. Don't know why. I just am.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=SeaGreen] I have nothing wrong with homosexuality. I have many friends who are Bisexual and it has not bothered me a bit. As far as your parents go, I think you should give it time. If you told them recently about your situation they might just be in a state of shock, I'm sure they love you and even if they disagree with it they will learn to accept or work around it. If not, then I don't know what else to tell you. This happens alot, especially if your folks are religious (not discing any christians or anything out there just saying most are against it) but I would suggest that as time goes on it can't get any worse. As long as your honest with yourself and your parents everything should work out for the better. Thats as much advice as I can give you, I wish you luck :( its very hard to tell what your parents are like, its all on who they are. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=Indigo][size=1][font=Arial][color=Teal]We, in New zealand, have just passed a Civil Union Bill, giving same sex copules and de facto's the same rights and privileges married couples get.

I don't like it, vividly campaigned against it, but it went through on Thursday.

To me, Marriage is a sacred union between a man and woman, and should stay that way. Civil Union [i]is effrectively[/i] gay marriage, without the titles.

I have nothing agaisnt gay people, and in fact, so,e of my friends are gay. It's just the Civil Union bill that has me irked. There was another, more reasonable "Civil Relationships bill" that was same rights, and not actualyl marriange. I would have voted for that. But the guy who put it forward was a Christian, so his ideas were instantly branded as "homophobic."

That's the way it is around here, you don't support it, you're a homophobic redneck. It just irks me to no end. btw, my friends in the gay community don't act like that.
[/color][/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2] [COLOR=blue] What's wrong with asymmetry? Are you saying that it's somehow inefficient? I'm not seeing how that makes homosexuality good (or bad).[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]For the sake of argument I will try to debate this, but I really don't feel strongly about the issue.

I'm not saying it's inefficient, it's just the fact that it goes against what the majority of society has been trying to achieve, which is gender equality. It's just a fact that I merely stated that meant that homosexuals don't generally divide the labour between them by gender.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2] [COLOR=blue] That really doesn't make homosexuality right. All this statement tells me is that there's some chance that a gay couple will adopt, and that'll make everyone happier. Again, the same problem with the first argument: doesn't really show how homosexuality is good (or bad). Anyone can adopt - or choose not too. [/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Yes. In that case regardless of whether or not the couple is homosexual I suppose neither is just as 'fruitful' in that sense. [/SIZE][/COLOR]
[QUOTE=AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2] [COLOR=blue] So... you are now comparing animal behavior to homosexuals... What does animal behavior have to do with human homosexuality? Some animals eat their babies...

I don't see how that is helping any scenario, especially since animals will do it with a rock. The more intelligent ones tend to remember and play with rocks over and over. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I wasn't comparing if you don't mind. Like before, I just decided I wanted to add the fact that there are homosexual sheep. Of course, that just seems make them kinda useless for breeding but humans aren't there just to be bred and eaten.. are we? As humans we have all the animal instincts, the difference is we have achieved symbolic thought.

To be quite honest, I really don't know what to make of homosexuality even though I tend to say I'm for it since it seems to be the popular thing to do where I am *rolls eyes* yes, I realize the irony that I'm being the metaphorical sheep here.

As far as I can tell, homosexuality in the end are just like heterosexual couples. They will fight, divorce, love but fundamentally they are a functioning unit of the economy. It's a very cold and numerical way of looking at it but it's true, as long as they work (which they do) and contribute to the overall society in a positive fashion I don't see why they can't possibly be considered 'normal'.

Btw, Shinje(sic).. would you care to explain why you're against the Civil Union Bill? I know it's just like marriage, and it symbolizes what marriage is, but without the Christian ties. Why don't you think your homosexual friends should have the same rights as other heterosexual couples have?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]I, personally, do not know any gay men. I do, however, know one lesbian woman, and plenty of bisexuals. Of course, being bi myself would help with the fact that I have no problem with it.

A lot of people think that all people who think they are straight, are actually bisexual. But, as it is a social 'taboo', they have no desire to explore it, and thus, never discover their gay/lesbian side.

Another thing: do all you(who don't like homosexuality) really think we have control over who we're in love with, and who are body is attracted to? Can I help it that I fell in love with another girl?

This girl is straight, and I know she doesn't love me back like I love her. We're still bestfriends, but are in no intimate relationships with one another. Do you think I would volunterilly(sp?) fall head over heels for someone I knew would never love me back they way I loved her?

That question is the same for any bi, gay, or lesbian person. DO you really think we have a choice?

Rantage over. :)

Rhian[/size][/font][/color]

I just looked further down the page and saw the list of Similar Threads, lol. Anyway, of course I'm not here to partake in the currently sprouting debate, though I have my arguments in my hand right now, but just to share my opinion of it.

I have no problem with homosexuality. I go along fine with everyone. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, heterosexual. I treat them just the same.

For me, homosexuality is considered taboo in some places mainly because of religion. If you're in a religion and you're a devout one then you'll most probably question homosexuality.

Somehow, it takes a while for some people to accept someone for who they are. You cannot blame them or yourself. Just know that there are a lot of other people with the same problem. You're not alone. ^_~

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]I just don't understand how anyone 15, or under, can make a decision about his or her true sexual nature when they're probably not even sexually mature yet.
Sex [b]doesn't have to[/b] have anything to do with love, So I guess if it's only sex you want from a guy or a girl....you could put a label on yourself if you like.

But what has it to do with love?
How can you love yourself and put a label on yourself like that and then just throw yourself at anyone that might be interested in sex only? What about seeking one true love before you sexually label yourself to the whole world...or before you throw yourself at anyone capable of having sex?

I just can't help but think that anyone labeling themselves sexually, are anything but confused about what love is in the first place. If you truly love...you won't need a label. You will be known for love, not your sexual preferences.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I got no problem with it, seeing as i'm bi. If people can't accept the decisions that you make, then to hell with them :flaming:! It seems to me that too many people follow the so called "right" veiw point on homosexuality being wrong. Yet then again I really couldn't give a s@$t on what people think about my choices that don't affect anyone but me.Miryoku, if your parents can't accept you for you then this really is a sad sad world :( .

[color=darkslateblue] I have a problem with the 'coolness' of bisexuality.

Trust me, I have no problem with homosexuality/bisexuality, and I am a huge supporter for the rights of gay people.

What I have a problem with is that all of a sudden, it's 'cool' to be bisxual so all these teens just 'decide' to be bisexual because they think it will make them cool and/or rebellious or whatever. You don't [i]choose[/i] to be gay. This is so dumb.[/color]

I have nothing against homosexuality or bisexuality. The Bible doesn't say it's wrong, people saying that it is "immoral" just supports what I like to call the "Philip Pullman Philosophy": people who say that is evil because of religion are just overabusing power as an excuse for their own xenophobia. Personally, I'm one of the younger members here just going through middle school and I'm still figuring out whether I'm straight or bi.

Ultimately I always knew that no one here would disagree with me on this issue of being gay or bi. There's too much of a Gravitation fanbase here for there to be a lot of homophobes at this board.

[quote name='DerelictDestiny][color=DarkRed][size=1'] Btw, Shinje(sic).. would you care to explain why you're against the Civil Union Bill? I know it's just like marriage, and it symbolizes what marriage is, but without the Christian ties. Why don't you think your homosexual friends should have the same rights as other heterosexual couples have?[/quote]
[color=Teal]I don't think I quite explained that well enough, lol.

Again, I see marriage as a sacred union between man and woman, yet I advocate the rights of my friends and the homosexual community to receive the same rights as heterosexual couples.

The main problem wihtt his bill, is it was rushed through parliament wihtout referrendum or the appropriate ammendments to effectively distance it from marriage, Civil unions, I'm all for them, it's an olive branch of sorts, to extend God's free will to [b]all peoples.

[/b][i]Yet, Civil unions should not be as close to marriage, they should be more like civil relationships, this bill was effectively the same bite of the cookie, only without the cleverly rewritten marriages act, which is what Civil Unions, in their present state, are.

And I know a lot of people who feel this is right, but i feel uneasy about it, to be honest.

[/i]I guess as long as they don't force churches and other organizations that digress on the issue to marry them, It's no skin off my back.[/color][/size][/color]

I myself do not care really let you marry have sex and do whatever you want with whomever you please just as long as you decide to pick a sexuality and stick to it.

It would strange for me to see gay marriages happening and seeing homosexual couples out more than usually are since not alot come out in the public since I do live in the South in the U.S. state of Alabama where they are not really that welcomed.

I would get over it though, but would I ever except that I don't know theres religion, my opinion, and other things that make the answer to the question a mystery.

Guest kimo123
u guys are sick and wrong being hetro sexual is natural and why would you want sex from guys u guys probaly don't have anything against gays and lesbians because you have been called that your sef so you feel bad fo r themselves i think it is wrong but they should have equall rights.