OtakuBoards

55 Fiction [PG]

Sara

[color=#4b4b79][b]The Challenge[/b]: Write a story in 55 words or less. Well, "or fewer," to be grammatically correct, but you knew what I meant. And ideally, it would be 55 words [i]exactly[/i], and we wouldn't have to worry about any of this indefinite plural stuff.

[b]The Rules[/b]: The name of the game is "55 [i]Fiction[/i]." That means

1.) You're writing a [i]story[/i]. It should include:[list=1]
[*]Setting
[*]Characters
[*]Conflict
[*]Resolution
[/list] 2.) You are [i]not[/i] writing poetry, idle thoughts, or anything else that does not fit the above requirements.

Your story should be 55 words long. Hyphenated words do not count as one word ("red-orange" would be two words, not one.) Contractions do count as one. ("it is" would be two words; "it's" would be one.)

The title of your story does not count towards your word limit; however, it should be no more than seven words.

You can write horror, drama, mystery, spoof, romance, adventure, science fiction, fantasy, kids' stuff, whatever you'd like.

If you're got questions, ask.

[b]Note:[/b] I've rated this thread [PG]. If you'd like to post something that you believe would fall under an [M] category, that's fine. [b]However[/b], please [b]put the appropriate M-rating [M-V/S/L] in the header of your post and "spoiler" out the body of your story as a courtesy to others.[/b]

---------
[FONT= Georgia][color=#333366][size=3][b]What if Australia Discovered the World?[/b]

She asked. "They didn't," I said.

"I know...but what if they did?" She fingered the globe on my desk. "Would all our maps be upside down?"

"It's getting late," I told her. "Go to bed, sweetie."

She smiled, kissed me, and padded off.

Later, alone in my office, I reached slowly for the globe.[/size][/color][/FONT]

hypothetically,
Sara
[/color]

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[left]Nifty idea, Sara. ^_^[/left]

[center][quote][b]"Arctic Slumber"[/b][/center]

[left]?We ain?t gonna last long out here, and the temperature isn?t going to hold. It?s gonna start dropping in a little under an hour.?[/left]

[left]?Yeah, but we?re not in much condition to do anything about it.? [/left]

[left]?Is there anyone left?? [/left]

[left]?I don?t know.? [/left]

[left]?So, what?s going to happen now?? [/left]

[left]?How about?just wait?just wait and see.?[/quote][/left]

[SIZE=1]I like this idea, my story sucks though, heh.

[quote][SIZE=1][B][U]God's Sky[/U][/B]

?Why is the sky blue daddy??

?I don?t know sweetheart, maybe you should ask God that in your dreams?

?How do you know God is real daddy??

?God is everywhere, and should be loved?

?Ok daddy, night night?

?Sweet dreams?[/SIZE][/quote][/SIZE]

[font=Verdana][size=1]Lovely idea, Sara! ^_^ This is going to be so fun, hehe. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][QUOTE][font=Verdana][size=1]She stared at him. Blinked. Said nothing.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1]?Well?? He prompted with a smile.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1]The group had quieted. They stared at her, the small little box in her hand. Gaily wrapped in red and green Christmas paper, a bow around it. A ring?[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1]She opened it. The group drew a breath.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1]Just earrings.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Verdana][size=1]Pause. [/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][font=Times New Roman][font=Verdana][size=1]?Thanks.? [/size][/font][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][/QUOTE] [/size][/font][/size][/font]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=Arial]This idea is awesome.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote][size=1][b]Bang, baby.[/b]
'You don't have to do this,' they tell me.

'What's stopping me?,' I ask.

'Your conscience.'

I laugh. 'How do you know I have a conscience?'

'Everyone has a conscience.'

I grin.'I sold mine.'

They are aghast. 'For what?'

'A gun.'

Their face pales. 'That's horrible,' they say.

'I know.'

I pull the trigger.[/size][/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][size=5][b]And Then A Cat Approached Me[/b][/size]

[size=2][left]?What?s this??

?I?m a cat.?

?Can cats talk??

?I?m not sure.?

?You seem to now.?

?Then it is so.?

?Cats can?t talk.?

?Ah, but I am talking now.?

?What??

?Perhaps I can, but you block it out with the thought I can?t.?

?Perhaps.?

?Maybe.?

?Indeed.?

?Quite so.?[/left][/size][/font]

That was an odd little... thing XD A man and a cat talkin'.

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]I'm not used to writing cute things...but this idea is so cool.

[QUOTE]
[SIZE=1][B]Innocence[/B]
The mistletoe hangs idly from the ceiling, so innocent in it?s job. A young blond stands underneath it, rocking on the balls of her feet. She sees a boy, a nervous brunette, and smiles, her rosy cheeks enhancing her scarce freckles. She points above her and the boy blushes,

[B]?Merry Christmas, John?? [/B]

She leans over?.[/SIZE] [/QUOTE]

I'm loving Lady A's story.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

To parrot everyone, this is a great idea.

[quote][center][b]"Seven Saved the Seas"[/b][/center]

It was a very curious thing. Pirates did not usually help the weak, the underprivileged, but Seven was different. He was an oddball.

?Did you see what he did??

?Yeah, he crashed his ship into the Black Ark.?

?But he still saved us, even if he kind of screwed things up for himself.?

A hero.[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][size=5][b]I Traveled Through Time[/b][/size]

[size=2][left]?So, what you?re saying is you traveled through time??

?Indeed, I have.?

?Well, I don?t believe it.?

?I knew you wouldn?t.?

?And how would you know that??

I smirked and clutched my device tightly. ?Because that?s what you said the last ten times I?ve told you.?[/left][/size][/font]

[left][color=darkgreen][font=trebuchet MS][center][size=4]For Mediocrity[/size][/center]

?You may thinks it?s terrible, but average isn't really so bad, Mom,? the boy argued, ?Average men have built great empires out of poverty; average men steered the course of human history! I?m proud to be one of the average!?

?Average is still average," Mother sighed, "And a ?C? in geometry still means you?re grounded.?[/font][/color][/left]

[size=1][b]Salad[/b]

I hate salad. All green, and...icky. And you never know what you're going to find in it. It's like the lucky dip of life. Except I always end up with something gross.

Like the time I found the cockroach in the lettuce. But nobody wants to know about that.

I reach for the bowl.
[/size]

[b]Tracia Enguardia[/b]

[i]

?How could you do this to me? I am your brother!?

?Jack, I am sorry, but everyone has a price.?

?What is yours??

?My daughter?s life.?

?That was not what you think it is!?

?She has it hard enough with her mother dead.?

?You know? [spoiler]fuck[/spoiler] who told you??

?You did.?

Glock ended the conversation.

[/i]

[center][u]It's a Post [b]Kill Adam[/b] world, people.[/u][/center]

The mouse minimized the window, and opened up Word. Hands swept across the keyboard in a pink blur, pounding out carefully worded sentences and concise conversations. Erasing, rewording, editing with extreme care were done with much agitation.

Finally, it was complete.

But it still lies filed away, far from notice, for the author lacks Photoshop.

[color=black][b][size=3]Coming Home At Night[/size][/b][/color]

[color=black][size=2]The train slipped through the gate. The streams of light on the background of a blue city tried lulling me into sleep, unsuccessfully. The malfunction in the track up ahead did it, though, and more abruptly.
[color=black][size=2]When I woke up, the city was white, and the train had stopped. A warm voice said, ?Welcome home.?[/size][/color]

[center][b]"The Diamond Sea"[/b][/center]

The stars shine bright overhead. A smattering of diamonds in a sea of blue. I look over to the left. She is there beside me, laying silently on the wet grass. She looks over at me and smiles.

"Isn't it beautiful? If only we could touch the stars..."

"We will, someday. Just have faith."

[center][b]11 o'clock[/b][/center]

She drove down the road, her hair whipping all about her. Her left hand gently glided over the waves of cold wind, memorizing the air. Her shirt was untucked and half unbuttoned, her bare feet pressing on the pedals. It was late and she felt free. How amazing it was to be out of work.

[size=1][b]Cliffside Lane[/b]

The tight, low-slung Boxter whipped around the bends in the road. He felt the pull of the G-forces, which threatened to send the car flying into the fence... A quick glance in the rearview mirror showed the Diablo coming up behind him.

He turned his gaze back forward. Saw the corner. Half a second too late.[/size]

[center][b][COLOR=Pink]+[/COLOR][/b][/center]

Perhaps it was a bit naive, but she never thought it?d happen to her. She?d been so careful since the night she started. She looked at her tiny figure in the mirror and then picked up the tiny white plastic from her night stand once more. She stared at that pink positive sign and cried.

Dumb Purchases

In retrospect, he was unsure why he bought the CD. Maybe it had been the coverart, maybe he was caught up in the massive hype. Maybe he had been temporarily insane. But that didn't matter, here it was now, lieing on his table, still in shrinkwrap.

He groaned. How could he have bought Avril Lavigne?

[color=deeppink][size=1][b][center]Vanity Kills[/center][/b]

He stared at the clock, waiting.

"Come...on...." she muttered, trying to fit her size ten waist into size four jeans. She pulled tighter, until the button popped off, bounced off the mirror, hit her forehead and made her stumble backwards.

Her spinal cord smashed into the metal hook on the door, killing her instantly.

- - - -

Brilliant idea, Sara. 55 is also my favorite number. ;)

-Karma[/size][/color]

[B]No Escape[/B]

[I]Huff, huff, huff...[/I]

She couldn't run any longer. She turned to face her attacker. A blade rose above her head.

She sat up in bed. She sighed.

"Just a dream."

She felt a breeze and turned to see her window open.

"Strange, it wasn't open before..."

She shut the window and turned around.

She screamed.

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][color=black][b]Yo-ho.[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=2]Pirate Bruce wasn?t happy. He hadn?t filled his quota of plank walkers, and Captain O?Scruffy was about to check the numbers. So when the captain went into his cabin below deck, Pirate Bruce did what any other pirate would do.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][font=Trebuchet MS][size=2]That night, Captain O?Scruffy noticed a strangely smaller crew aboard than when they set off.[/size][/font][/font]

[center][b]Hot Hot Heat[/b][/center]

The sun was so hot it made her skin itch. All around her there was absolutely nothing and the canteen loosely hanging at her side had been empty for a while now. She tilted her head up, the sky was cloudless and she thought she saw a vulture slowly circling around her. She was lost.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Pretty cool idea, I must say. Here goes nothing...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]He loves me not?[/B]

She clutched the crimson rose tightly in one hand. The note read, [I]I?m sorry[/I].

?He loves me, he loves me not??

Petals dropped to the kitchen floor.

?You fool. You let him in again.?

Tighter, now. Thorns pierced flesh.

A bare stem, a bloody palm; beauty marred by grief again. [I]Sorry[/I] wasn't good enough anymore.[/COLOR]

Fuck Me Fabio

'Mmm... what is this?' she asked. 'It's delicious!'

He grinned. 'Guess.'

The woman pursed her nose and analyzed the tastes in her mouth.

'It's butter! You fed me butter! You're trying to make me fat! AREN'T YOU?'

He grinned again and showed her the tub.

'Oh my,' she gasped. 'I can't believe it's not butter.'