OtakuBoards

What box sets of TV shows do you have, and why did you buy them?

Morpheus

Hm. I have the first five seasons of The Simpsons, Volume One of Family Guy, Season One of Futurama, Seasons One and Two of Ren and Stimpy, Volume Four of Remastered Robotech, Season One of Dead Like Me and Season One of Twin Peaks.

I guess the most obvious reason is that I can now watch these shows as a I please with no real interuptions. I don't even have Cartoon Network right now, so Family Guy and Futurama aren't even an option. I don't think anyone even shows Twin Peaks, Robotech or Ren and Stimpy anymore.

Plus it's nice to see these shows uncut. It's surprising how much is removed from a typical Simpsons episode when it's syndicated, simply to stuff in more commercial time. There are entire scenes on those sets that I've never even seen thanks to syndication. With Ren and Stimpy, some of the shows were edited before they even aired and can only be seen completely on the set.

I don't have Showtime either, so the box set is the only way I can easily watch Dead Like Me... lol

Box sets are great, I love being able to watch an entire season of a program, or the entire series, all at once. Nothing like a good marathon of a great show! I have dozens of anime box sets but I am going to limit my list to my non-anime boxed sets.

[B]CSI:[/B] (DVD) I have both Vegas and Miami. I am collecting them as they are being released for sale. I love this show. I love watching the way the characters solve these interesting crimes. I think the graphic nature of the show lends more realism to the series. Absolutely love this show.

[B]Twin Peaks:[/B] (VHS) Some of you guys may be too young to remember this bizarre TV show from the early 90's. It is the brain child of director David Lynch (Wild at Heart, Lost Highway). It takes place in a little town in Washington state. In one episode they actually mention the name of my little Washington hometown! A mix of a murder mystery and the supernatural. This show is a cult classic. It's a bit off the beaten path.

[B]Monty Python's Flying Circus:[/B](VHS) Ask me about any Python skit and I can probably quote it to you. For fellow Python fans you can understand the great joy a marathon of episodes can do for you. Absolutely great comedy, I never get tired of it. "Dinsdale?!"

Edit: Note to Tony, Robotech is now being shown on the Anime Network. Of course the Anime Network is not readly available to the masses. As for Twin Peaks, I have never seen it on tv since the original airing back in the early 90's. Glad to find another Twin Peaks fan! ^_^

I only own the Back to the Future Boxset, it's only the trilogy but I guess that counts as a boxset.

I was given it at Christmas, 2003, and I was extremely happy. Even though I really wanted it, I would've never purchased it because I couldn't resist the lure of a game or something. Kind of weird seeing how it is cheaper than a game.

I love this trilogy to death. One of those films where you wish you were in Marty McFly's shoes, or that you could've played his role.

Guest dear_die-ary
Let's see... I have Invader Zim, and Batman Beyond DVDs. I have the Batman and the Nija Turtals(the real ones) movies in box sets but I'm not sure if that counts 'cause they're not a tv show.

[color=indigo]I was going to start this post off stating how I don?t really buy boxed sets I just tend to get them as gifts. However, I realized that in my hay day I bought quite a few anime sets and since they came in collector?s boxes I guess I should consider them boxed sets.

[b]Non-Anime Series[/b]- All of these were gifts and, fortunately, I really enjoy all of the shows.

- Family Guy Vol. 1 and 2- I really enjoy Family Guy, I think it is smart, funny and vulgar, but, since it is in constant rerun on Cartoon Network the only reason to buy this would be for the deleted scenes and the episode ?When You Wish Upon a Weinstein?.

- Neverwhere- I got this out of the blue for Christmas and I still have not gotten a chance to watch it. If it is anything like the novel (which was actually an extrapolation of the BBC series) I am sure it will be quite good.

- The Simpsons (Seasons 1-5)- My Grandmother buys these and sends them to me whenever they are released. Yeah, my granny rocks, she even bought me a pair of Homer Simpson head slippers. I don?t have the heart (or the conscious) to tell her I already have every episode of every season up to 2002 on VHS (gotta love ebay).

- Futurama Volumes 1 & 2- Oh, I am a liar. I did buy the Futurama DVDs for myself because they are just too cool for words. Hopefully I can get Volume 3 & 4 next week when I get paid.

[b]Anime Series[/b]- I am not going into any explanation on most of these because I bought most of these just too initially watch the series.

- Hellsing
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop- I could do without all of the other anime sets that I have with the exception of this one.
- Vandread (Stage 1 & 2)
- Noir
- Berserk
- Record of Lodoss War
- Neon Genesis Evangelion

Anyway, that is my collection of boxed sets. To be honest most of them are very un-used and just tend to collect dust. Maybe when they make the iPod large enough for mass DVD storage I can compile them all into a 5? by 2? piece of plastic and silicon.[/color]

[color=darkviolet]Oh where do I begin?

[b]Jem and the Holograms first and second season[/b]-I bought this partially because I had a $25 gift card for Media Play. Other than that I bought it because I liked the show as a kid.

Ok other than that I don't have any American TV box sets.
But I have anime boxed sets up the wazoo (does anyone know what a wahzoo is? Or how it's spelled since I just spelled it two different ways?)

[b]SailorMoon seasons one and two[/b] Simply because sailor moon was my first anime. I really wanted to see it raw (of course it had subtitles, but can you blame me?)

[b]Princess 9[/b]- Lincoln loves me

[b] Trigun[/b] Lincoln was introduced to this one by me and he liked it so he bought it.

[b]Crest of the Stars[/b]-Lincoln wanted it

[b]Kare Kano/ His and Hers Circumstances[/b] Lincoln wanted it

[b]Outlaw Star[/b] Lincoln wanted it

[b]Idol Key...or maybe it's Metal Idol Key[/b]-Lincoln saw it and thought it could be interesting.

[b]Angelic Layer[/b] Lincoln heard it was good.

[b]Fushigi Yugi[/b]-Lincoln Loves me very much

[b]Ayashi no ceres or Ceres the Celestial Legend[/b]-Lincoln loves me very very much

[b]Vandread.[/b]-Lincoln thing

I think that might be all, but I'l have to get back to you on that.[/color]

[QUOTE=Panda]
[B]Monty Python's Flying Circus:[/B](VHS) Ask me about any Python skit and I can probably quote it to you. For fellow Python fans you can understand the great joy a marathon of episodes can do for you. Absolutely great comedy, I never get tired of it. "Dinsdale?!"

[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]How about "The Ministry of Silly Walks"?

I got off my duff and bought Family Guy Vol. 2. I am now allowed to die happily. Family Guy has to be the most re-watchable show ever, 'except for Python. I just don't get how every Family Guy episode is as fesh and good smelling as the first time I saw it. :love:

Band of Brothers...wow...holy s**t.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Reading these makes my own box sets seems rather meagre, but I suppose it doesn't really matter if you enjoy them.

[b]Transformers G1 - Seasons 1 & 2:[/b] One of, if not my favourite show growing up this was just something I had to have when I saw them in for sale. I'm thinking of buying Seasons 3 & 4 as they come in a box set together, but honestly I never really like 3 & 4 so I'd only be buying them to complete the set.

[b]Andromeda Season 1:[/b] Love the series, easily the Great Bird's best work [sorry to all ST fans who are now hounding for my blood], it's too hard to pick a favourite character from the crew as they're all just great. Since the series is now playing on Sky One [UK] in the mornings there's no real point in going out and buying the rest of the Season Box Sets.

That?s it for me, I probably should have a look and see if I can get some other series off Amazon for a few euro cheaper, maybe pick up the Sopranos or something.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Bump bump bump bump bump...bump bump.

I bought the Season Two and Season Three boxsets of Futurama this morning. Season Two has some nice standout episodes along with a couple of meh episodes, and Season Three has the strongest collection of episodes in the series (Season Four isn't [i]that[/i] far behind it, though...hope I can pick that up soon). I watched Season Two most of today, and it was a lot of fun.

For anyone who is a fan of Futurama, get these sets not only for the opportunity to watch this genius series whenever you feel like it, but buy them for the fantastic commentary tracks on each episode. There's not really that much left to learn about each of the episodes in the series (at least, I was aware of most of what was being talked about). The commentaries are great not because of the insight you get on Futurama (though that's nice), but because everyone is just having a ton of fun, being generally hilarious, and it's just completely infectious. I could be in the most depressed mood ever in the history of the world, and I'd literally be grinning from ear to ear after watching a couple of Futurama commentaries.

So, yeah, giving the choice between learning a few new things about the series, and being completely entertained, I'd choose the latter every time. The Futurama commentaries are entertaining as hell, and worth buying the DVDs for alone, in my opinion.

Man, do I ever love this show. :D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Panda][B]Twin Peaks:[/B'] (VHS) Some of you guys may be too young to remember this bizarre TV show from the early 90's. It is the brain child of director David Lynch (Wild at Heart, Lost Highway). It takes place in a little town in Washington state. In one episode they actually mention the name of my little Washington hometown! A mix of a murder mystery and the supernatural. This show is a cult classic. It's a bit off the beaten path.[/quote]

I was going to write something about how much I'm annoyed that Season 2 is STILL not on DVD... but if you have the tapes you probably have the complete series, I'd imagine?

The Season One DVDs are from back in 2001 and are quite good considering. I just wish things would speed up on Two... Even if that means releasing it in two chunks lol.

Anyway, I'm glad to see someone else here is into the show. It's one of my favorites.

I recently bought the complete series of [b]Cedric the Entertainer Presents[/b]. I remember catching the pilot episode when it first aired, and one other episode before Fox cancelled it during its first season. It was a very funny sketch comedy show, and it even had a chorus-line of dancing women to introduce it every episode. Who does that anymore? Apparently no one, because this show was cancelled. Some of the characters from this show are great, though. I love the hateful, insulting cafeteria lady; and Raj, the news reporter who's always dying of heat stroke. He even let a few comedians go in front of the audience and do their own original stand-up or sketch routines.

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]
[b]SailorMoon seasons one and two[/b] Simply because sailor moon was my first anime. I really wanted to see it raw (of course it had subtitles, but can you blame me?)[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Where did you find those? I've been looking for the original uncut subtitled episodes of Sailor Moon for quite sometime. I haven't researched seriously, but I would love to have them. So yeah.

The only boxed set that I own is [b]The OC: Season One[/b]. And apparently I am way cooler than everyone here because I own it or something. O_o As for anime series, I own the entire Fushigi Yugi collection, but I bought each volume INDIVIDUALLY for over a year, ALL on VHS, and so technically it's not a boxed set. But it is the whole series, including the OVAs.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]Where did you find those? I've been looking for the original uncut subtitled episodes of Sailor Moon for quite sometime. I haven't researched seriously, but I would love to have them. So yeah.[/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I found them at best buy. for some reason the 2nd seson cost more than the first even though they cut and episode in the second one.[/color]

If we're talking non-anime, i own:
-[B]Band of Brothers[/B] (all 10 episodes in Metal Collectors box)
-[B]Strangers with Candy[/B] (seasons 1, 2 & 3)
-[B]The Upright Citizens Brigade[/B] (Only season 1 was ever released :animecry: )
-[B]Family Guy[/B] (seasons 1, 2 & 3)
-[B]Sealab 2021[/B] (seasons 1 & 2)

If we are including anime:
-[B]Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum[/B] (only up to vol. 5 released)
-[B]Mahoromatic[/B] (complete)
-[B]Azumanga Daioh[/B] (complete)
-[B]FLCL[/B] (complete)
-[B]Last Exile[/B] (complete)
-[B]Chobits[/B] (complete)
-[B]Ai Yori Aoshi & Enishi[/B] (complete)
-[B]Love Hina[/B] (complete)
-[B]Samurai Champloo[/B] (only volume 1 so far)
-[B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] (complete)
-[B]Fruits Basket[/B] (purchased box earlier today, only have vol. 1)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Manic Webb]I recently bought the complete series of [b]Cedric the Entertainer Presents[/b']. I remember catching the pilot episode when it first aired, and one other episode before Fox cancelled it during its first season. [/quote]

I can't exactly remember, because I've seen Cedric the Entertainer all over TV, but I think I've seen this. The one sketch I can remember, was hilarious. Cedric was a waiter in a 50s themed diner, and the manager kept telling him to make sure he stayed with the 50s theme. So when a black couple came in, he moved them to the back and called the coloured folk.

It was brilliant.

Either way, I own In Living Color Vol. 1, Spawn, Clerks, and Family Guy Vol. 1.

In Living Color is probably the most criminally underrated shows ever. It was a sketch show in the early ninetys. It's probably most know for the Mo' Money movie, since it's a spin-off of the skit. Check it out, it's on par with early SNL as far as quality.

Spawn and Clerks just happened because they were so cheap. And Family Guy Vol. 1 was a gift for Christmas, and what a gift it was.

• 2 weeks later...
[b]Though I'm usually more into film than television, I do own a couple boxed sets of good old fashioned TV programs.[/b]

[b]1)[u] The A-team [/u](1st season)-- because I was feelin' the jazz, sucka...[/b]

[b]2) [u]Dragonball[/u]-- because it's a classic, enjoyable anime...[/b]

[b]3) [u]Ren and Stimpy[/u]-- because you gotta love the twisted, stupid humor o' that cat an' dog duo...[/b]

[b]4) [u]Ghost In The Shell[/u] (SAC)-- because... i like it...and that chic is so...*purr*:tasty: [/b]

[b]5)[u] Band of Brothers[/u]-- because it is quite simply one of the best series to ever be made, and because it [i]IS[/i] the best war series ever created, and I'm a sucker for those...[/b]

[b]I probably have more than that lying around somewhere... under all those films and video games...:animeshy: [/b]

Guest fr4anceschats
[FONT=Verdana][B]i have the [U]degrassi: the next generation season 1 box set[/U] and [U]malcolm in the middle box set.[/U]
i have malcolm because i saw it at walmart and it is an ok show
i got degrassi:TNG season 1 becauz it is the best show in the world!!! if u want...ui can get it at walmart. :D [/B] [/FONT]

hmm.. I used to own twin peaks on vhs...sadly I lost it in my divorce :'( I loved twin peaks soooooo much when it was on TV... and the day after it aired my best friend and I would talk about it every chance we got between classes!! :) One day I'll own it again, mwahh haa haaaa!!!

sadly I don't own any tv series at the moment... but I have a lot I would like to buy :greedy:

Stargate SG1 - all seasons, just because I like the beauty of the show and well MacGuyver...er I mean Richard Dean Anderson isn't too bad either ;)
Xena - all seasons, because I love the storylines and costumes and just coolness of it
Herculese - all seasons, same reason as Xena
CSI - any season, because it's amazing how they can solve those crimes with just a speck of dust!!
Law and order - any season, original, SVU, or Criminal intent. I love the main characters, how the interact with each other, and how realistic it seems.
Futurama, Simpsons, South Park... I want em all cause I like em :)
there's probably more... I think I like TV a little too much...lol

one day a money blizzard will come my way and I'll have all I want, lol.

as far as anime, I have Neon Genesis Evangelion, Crest of the stars, Fruits Basket, Orphen, Blueseed and Sorcerer Hunters complete. (also have about 1/2 of Ruroni Kenshin) hmm.. think I might watch a few eps of sorcerer hunters today... haven't watched it for a while. I won't even list the sets I'd like to own, as well, the list would be waaaay to long.

I also have a few TV mini series on dvd. Dune, Children of Dune, and Rose Red. I bought them cause I liked em.

I have Trigun set-huge trigun fan thats why i got it, FAmily guy first set of dvd will get 2nd soon-for $20 i had to buy it, umm the whole ninja scroll series- :D love ninja scroll the movie so thought it would be as good, not really but it was coo, south park season 1-wish i didnt, and arrested devolpment season 1-great show. My favorite has to be arrested development hilarious.