OtakuBoards

Animes that aren't well known 2!

Rick Hunter

Nausicaa is coming out on DVD in February. So hopefully that will give more people (including myself!) a chance to see it. I very much enjoyed reading the manga, so I can only presume that the movie is excellent.

[b]Kino's Journey[/b] (Kino no Tabi) isn't exactly rare--it was made in 2003, after all, and the entire series was recently released by ADV. For all I know, it could also be running on The Anime Network. Yet despite being a pretty new show, Kino's Journey is undeservedly obscure. It's one of the most original, profound and disturbing anime ever made, period. Kino's Journey is also a good example of an anime that wouldn't work nearly as well if it were live-action rather than animated.

Most would say that Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are the anime that make the most of the episodic format, but in my opinion Kino's Journey blows both of these shows out of the water. It is beautiful and haunting, with airtight writing. Not a minute of any episode is ever wasted. For the series which it aspires to be, Kino's Journey is practically perfect.

~Dagger~

I don't have too much time to make a long drawn out post. But here's actually a Nadesico ova spin-off that I'm sure not many people have seen since it hasn't been released in the US to my knowledge as of yet but. The title is called Gekiganger 3, yeah it's actually an anime ova of the anime that was featured in the Nadesico show that Akito always cheerished. :cool:

i saw a rare anime, on G4( a videogame channel) really late at night. i dont remember what its called, but it was about these two kids that were twins and they few in this army with airplanes with no wings.... it had to be the most bizzare animes out there, yet it was pleasinlingly fun to watch. i hope i catch it again some time!!!! :D

[SIZE=1]some ones that seem pretty unknown and how i felt about them... if i remember them lol
[B]dual: parallel adventure[/B], mechs and um food (not off to a great start x_x)
[B]tenamonya voyagers[/B], three random people thrown together for 6 episodes and left just as easily...
[B]iria: zeriam the animation[/B], this one i really liked actually, it was short yes, but it was good, like an extended movie, iria had a hot outfit, she fought, and had to[SPOILER] kill a seemingly invinicble creature that creeped me out big time [/SPOILER]
[B]starship girl yamamoto yohko[/B], i really wish there had been more than 6 episodes of this one too, it just sorta leaves you [SPOILER] hanging with an almost romantic moment between oppisite camps... [/SPOILER]
[B]haunted junction[/B], oh geez i only watched a few episodes of this, and i couldnt bear it lol, no one is missing out here
[B]assemble inserte[/B], what like two episodes? a girl who wants to be an idol but she has superhuman stregnth?? okay... thats all i remember
[B]jubei-chan[/B], a quirky one but definately worth watching. she gets a mystical eyepatch and well you should watch for yourself on the rest. otherwise the quirks involve sketchy drawings of nonmain characters who actually say stuff like "it was so unimportant for us to be in the scene they didnt even draw us well"
[B]knights of ramune[/B], oh man i honestly cant remember this one at all, but i know i have seen it, its written on my list -_-;;;
[B]shemantic princess[/B], dagger says this one a lot, and ill just agree with her points on it lol, the only thing i didnt like was her hair, it was gigantic like izumi emi from tenjou tenge (just off balanced, couldnt get used to the look) however when she transforms, she looks sugoi sugoi!!
[B]puni puni poemi[/B], oh man never ever watch this unless you are over 17. oh geez like a two episode spoof on all magical girl series. in order to transform she has to like rip the bones from a fish and it turns into her fish wand, oh man *shakes head* thats what i get for getting anime from a 25 year old guy.....
[B]tenjou tenge[/B], i noticed that barely anyone posted on this one, but i really enjoyed it, should read my post there if you are so inclined, so i dont repeat myself.
phew this has to be like the longest post for me ever, i need a breather to see if i can remember any more.
[/SIZE]

Robotech and Macross are great! I even have the rare RPG of Robotech, for all generations, including Robotech II: The Sentinels. Macross is just as brillent. I'm still looking for "Do you Remember Love?" Does anyone know where I can find it? Also, how about I show great to respect to anime legend Captain Harlock? Many fans have heard of him, but havn't seen him in action. I urge them to look at "The Harlock Saga" and "Space Pirate Captian Herlock: Outside Legend Endless Oddessy." And his guest shots in other works, like the clsasic "Galaxy Exspress 999." He was really cool in that.

"Under my flag I live, and I live in freedom."-Harlock

Mike

[QUOTE=Dragonboym2]I'm still looking for "Do you Remember Love?" Does anyone know where I can find it?
[/QUOTE]

Well it hasn't been released in America "uncut" legally yet, the current vhs version Clash of the Bioronoids is actually a severly cut up version of the film in english dub and the it is currently out of print. But if your really desperate like I was to get this on dvd. You can try any of the online sites that sell region 0 dvds. Almost garanteed that you will find it on one of those sites with decent subs.

In regards to Robotech II: The Sentinels.....I ironically didn't meantion it as being rare since Harmony Gold actually made it....with the help of Japanese studio though it's.....really hard to consider it an anime. Though I do find it a classic too bad it wasn't finished.

So, has anyone here seen [b]Brigadoon[/b]? I'm about twelve episodes into the series, and so far it's rather impressive. The animation is excellent, and the artwork is pretty unique--detailed and interesting, but with a very stylized, cartoonish look to it. Though this show has some top-notch mecha-ish battles, the characters are also appealing and well-developed. I especially like the wood-working uncle (he seems like he'd fit in perfectly with the cast of Maison Ikkoku, haha) and Melan Blue.

Given the visual quality of Brigadoon, and the fact that it has a strong story and is relatively action-packed, I'm just surprised that I had heard so little about it before I bought the DVDs.

A couple of other anime which appear to go unnoticed--

Boys Over Flowers [Hana Yori Dango]
Zetsuai & Bronze
Kurogane Communication
Project Arms

~Dagger~

I was at a freinds house, and a friend of his brought "Do You Remember Love?" englished subbed with him on VHS. It was great. But I have no idea where he got it. Does anyone know? And Minmay had a GOOD singing voice in it. Didn't make me want to bash her over the head with a crowbar when she sang. My friend thinks that Roy's [spoiler]death in DYRL was much cooler than his death by internel bleeding in Robotech/Macross. Also, does Rick know that Miriya shot up Roy's VF causing the wound? It would be a tough blow to find out that the wife of your best freind killed your "older brother."[/spoiler]

In regards to the Macross DYRL question region 0 dvd sellers only which is usually online would have it. It was never released in the U.S.A. despite the series being released by Animego. As for Brigadoon I've only seen a bit of it but from what I saw it was really impressive. Here's another anime that I don't think anyone really meationed here at and if if they did my apologies. It's been getting less and less play these days, Fruits Baskets. I'm going to post a list of animes from 70s during the weekend to see if anyone remembers them I just don't have enough time to right now...

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2]There's an unfathomable amount of rare anime that could be added to this category, but here's a few:[/B][/I]

[list=1]
[*]3x3 Eyes - not as rare, but rarely discussed from what I've seen
[*]Serial Experiments Lain
[*]Ojamajo Doremi - one I gave those years back when the first of this thread was created
[*]Neo Ranga
[*]Seraphim Call
[*]Kaleido Star
[/list]
[B][I]The list could go on for a while...[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/COLOR]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Right, the list could go on forever, until everyone lists anime series that everyone knows about, alongside ones that are a disgrace to the medium.

I always thought the incentive of this thread was to list [B]good[/B] anime series that aren't well known, rather than any anime you can find in a list or database. [B]Serial Experiments Lain[/B] is SO known. I really have to argue about some of the anime series that were brought up, as I think people are starting to put in just any anime they like, regardless of how well-known it is.

Just to build on [B]Greenwood[/B], the DVDs have the neatest thing (yeah, I bought it after being inspired by this thread - no, I haven't watched the rest of the series). There's a three-part reunion thing where the voice actors start back up a Greenwood radio show. It's quite funny and amusing, haha.

As for [B]Iria[/B], I remember that being like the first controversial anime for me (how sad is that?!). I mean, look at her: tightly clad clothes, and then the scene with the breasts. I was shocked they could do such things, haha. But overall, the series was an interesting trek into the Sci-Fi universe. I don't remember any specifics, aside from how depressing the atmosphere was. I recommend it, heh, but it's nothing spectacular.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Im not sure if too many know about Knig of Bandit Jing , (Im sure some ppl have ) but any ways I love it & I wish theyd play it on CN . :cool:

I know ppl must know of this too , but still some ppl dont know about Lian ( Truely a sicic thriller ) & thats a good one . :cool:

Another sici thriller not well known is Kinos Journey , ppl would love this too if only they knew . :cool:

But all the Animes Iv listed arent as rare as the others posted so sorry if you v heard of them b4 & its nothin new . :sleep:

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Welcome to OtakuBoards, ziopheth. Please be aware that copious use of abbreviations is strongly discouraged at OB- anything too spammy will be deleted. Please be sure to look over the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] for further information. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Guest Alpha no Kaze
Ah! Kino's Journey, you beat me to the punch, atop the Internal Combustion Companion Hermes, Kino rides, a drifter... Such an awesome anime, such an awesome anime... I saw the D.V.D. Box set in Coconuts a while back but didn't have enough to get it, I went back, and someone lifted it...

But back to the anime... I am absolutley enthralled by the opening theme song, "All the Way" By [i]Sin[/i], although I can't seem to find it anywhere, the animation is wonderful, and for such a good anime, it should've been aired in the U.S. Unfortunatley some of the things got kinda gorey...

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I really wish people knew about [B]Black Jack[/B]. It was created by Tezuka Osamu, who, I think, is the man behind Astro Boy. It kind of bums me out that this 6-part OVA series doesn't have much recognition.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashe is a pretty unknown anime as well where I live, but it is going to ir on G4TechTV in about a week, so it may get the popularity it deserves.

Another one is Some Day Dreamer, a multipart OVA my friend said was pretty good and unknown.

-the one and only[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Alpha no Kaze
Abenoboshi also aired on the anime network on demand in the U.S. I loved that anime too, especially, once again, the main theme, "Treat or Goblin" By... I can't remember...

Zeta Gundam was just realeased a couple months ago. However, it was realeased in a ten volume box set only. It comes with a poster, and six collectable pencil sharpeners of certain mobile suits used in the anime. As for the Zeta Gundam movie, I heard it's going to be a trilligy ala what they did with the first one. I don't know which ones next, but I hope it's Gundam ZZ. All those Transformers series. Wow. Does anyone know if/when Voltron is coming out on DVD? I miss Voltron. Well, we still got the comic book, right? It's a great comic, but it's more grown up than the show was. Check it out, it's that good.
Has anyone seen "Mazinger Z" or as it was called here in the '80's "Tranzor Z"? That was a good show, with old school super-robots. There's a what if story out called "Mazinkaiser". It's very old school meets new school. It's very good.

"ROCKET PUUUNNNNCH!"-Mazinger Z

"FORM..BLAZING SWORD!"-Voltron

Yakitate Japan!! is about baking bread in down town tokyo, i read about that. Has anyone heard of comic party i have just bought it in english on ebay, we don't get much anime in England. But the one that we have had in england at the moment are that might be rare are..

Big O
Ravemaster
Flint time detective
Shinzo

[COLOR=#503F86]The 'rarest' one in that list is probably Shinzo if only because it was shown at such a silly time (and with good reason, I think); but bearing in mind the programmes the UK channels get are basically controlled by whatever shows the US companies buy up, the chances are anything shown in the UK will already have been seen many times in the US and Japan. They used to show Cowboy bebop, now the most 'respectable' anime aired is Outlaw Star (i.e. has not been butchered by dub companies and/or isn't directly aimed at kids).

The only exceptions would be the ones they [i]used[/i] to show late at night on the Sci-Fi channel. I was really annoyed I missed [b]Roujin Z[/b], as I'd heard it was pretty good, and sounded interesting.

I'm really not a fan of old, obscure animes. I watched [b]Megazone 13[/b] and [b]The Winds of Amnesia[/b] and wasn't very impressed. Macross Plus was very very good, but that's not really unknown. Aside from that, the most enjoyable non-mainstream anime I've seen (and that isn't saying a great deal) has been [b]Blue Gender[/b], but even then that had a decent run in the US...[/COLOR]

Alot of people I know and met have not seen the original Gundam, or liked it. That makes me sad. :( What's wrong with it? I think it's great! I asked why not, and most people said that the animation was too old, the mobile suits aren't as amazing, and none of the boys are attractive. It dosn't matter that the animation is old. I still like Speed Racer, and that was WAY before Gundam. I love the characters, they are very interesting, and complex. And the mobile suits are very cool to me. They aren't as powerful as the new ones yes, but still, it's great to watch. Oh, BTW, there is a little mall in Porter Square where I live, and it's mostly Japanese. There is a store there called Kotobokiya, and I get my pocky there. I once went there in my Goku outfit, and no one regonized me. :confused: . So I went up to the clerks and said "Hey, do you know who I am?" They looked confused. "No, we don't know you." "Hey, you know who I am right?" "No..." I sighed. "I'm Goku." Then they regonized me. "OH..OHHHH..Son Goku! You're Son Goku!" One of them shook my hand. Now they know me. :) Also, I met a guy who is a big Gundam fan (the older ones), and he was amazed at the information I had. His face lit up when I mentioned Harlock. "Harlock? You know Harlock?" He asked. "Oh yeah." I said. " I love Matsumoto's work." And he went "I watched Harlock, when I this small!" "He's got a new series out. It's very good." I said. Very nice, huh?

Mike

[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86]

The only exceptions would be the ones they [i]used[/i] to show late at night on the Sci-Fi channel. I was really annoyed I missed [b]Roujin Z[/b], as I'd heard it was pretty good, and sounded interesting.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Roujin Z is actually a really underated anime, the english dub is actually pretty decent along with an interesting look into what happens to us when we get old. It use to be really easy to find on tv or watch but as the years have passed it becomes rare to find even on dvd, or vhs. If it actually hadn't been for the Scifi channel chances are I would of never been exposed to it. But if you do actually manage to find a copy watch it you'll love it.

As for the Original Gundam comment, that's actually fair from being really rare, Gundam was only rare in the US up until Recently....and even then anyone at least knows something about the original show if not the story itself the Characters of Char and Amaro who basically are the basis for characters in all the various gundam shows out there.