OtakuBoards

What's it like being in High School??

Guest smoothlady15

[color=darkred]High school can be very draining, especially when your school goes by the "block system" and you change to a new 4 classes every quarter. =_=

As for Freshmen getting no respect, thats just a temperary thing. All the higher grades have said "I hate Freshmen" which really makes no sense since they all were once Freshmen as well. Oh well. It's just a thing the older students do. When you're a Sophmore you get to pick on the Freshmen, fun eh?

The only class that I'm worried about right now is my Geometry class. I have an A in it right now, but it's a very low one. The thing I hate most in school is getting a B. I have no idea why. When I get one I get angry at myself thinking that I could have done better.

The classes I enjoyed the most would have to be my Medieval Europe class, Spanish, Advanced Physical Science A and B, and my Art class. I have some really comical people in those classes. I like my Aerobics class to because for some reason Im the only one who thinks steps are fun.[/color]

It's trendy to be depressed/victimized/angsty these days, and it's pretty depressing in itself. I know so many people who go out of their respective ways to find some life-shattering problem too earn them pity/depth. It's very frustrating, especially when they're your close friends, who turn around and start spewing "anarchist/anti-conformist" filth at you all hours of the day. (MSN and the telephone really help them along with this.)

I enjoy all but one or two of my classes, have a wide range of friends, fair-weather or no, and my teachers aren't exactly Devil-incarnates, bar one. A lot of people seem to think just the opposite, however, and it drives me freaking [i]crazy[/i]. Especially when there is only the most abstract reasoning behind their accusations.

The one thing I really can't stand about the high-school environment is the fact that I get stuck sharing a classroom with abrasively stupid people. Art class is always a perfect example of this: it's hard to get anywhere when most people's only ability to critique is, "I hate it it is so ugly you're gay."
Also, I used the word "barbaric" to describe the way a figure was portrayed in an anti-fur-garments piece, and the whole class started laughing, because they were reminded of "Dave the Barbarian."

Consequentially, I am glad that I am taking no open-strand courses next year, bar one.

Aaaaaahh... (Sigh of relief, if you were wondering.)

Godel, you're in highschool?

Although I'm in Grade Twelve, I can only partially relate to most of the threaders. School is tiresome, stressful, and disgustingly painful. A study says that teenagers should be allowed to sleep in on the weekends because of all the time they spend awake during the week day.

At my school, homework is every day, all the time. You always have work to do. There's always an assignment on your lap and if you're done you can pick up the next one.

I can't wait to get out of high school, but I also don't want to leave it.
It gives me an excuse to see my friends every day, and a chance to express myself through projects. It also helps me improve my skills and knowledge, even if I have to "improve" in areas that I find useless or redundant.

[B]My main complaint with highschool[/B], and most schools in General, is that although they insist that they exist to teach, they force students to complete useless assignments that don't teach anything at all. If my teacher understands that I understand, why must I complete a five-hour unit on it that has no chance of flexibility or improvement in my creativitiy or knowledge.

-ArV

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]The one thing I really can't stand about the high-school environment is the fact that I get stuck sharing a classroom with abrasively stupid people. Art class is always a perfect example of this: it's hard to get anywhere when most people's only ability to critique is, "I hate it it is so ugly you're gay."
Also, I used the word "barbaric" to describe the way a figure was portrayed in an anti-fur-garments piece, and the whole class started laughing, because they were reminded of "Dave the Barbarian."[/QUOTE]

maybe its just me, but that seemed a bit stuck up? I understand because I have shared classes with people who well, aren't smart, but you can't expect to critique someone elses art and not expect them to the same to your's. So you used a longer word, did you really give a more detailed critique then the other person? No, they said they hated your's and you said you didn't like their's. Neither of you provided any information on how to better each others work in some way. The whole idea seems stuck-up, are you better then someone else because you use the word "barbaric" while critiqing art? And if these people are really "stupid", or your just smarter then them, then why did you take it upon yourself to critique their artwork, figured it would suck, since they're stupid right? Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing on you, I love having intelligent conversations and critiqing good artwork as much as the next guy. But because someone seems to be stupid, doesn't mean that they are, and life is hard enough without people thinking that they're better then you when they really have no idea what kind of person you are.

[quote name='x kakashi x']maybe its just me, but that seemed a bit stuck up? I understand because I have shared classes with people who well, aren't smart, but you can't expect to critique someone elses art and not expect them to the same to your's. So you used a longer word, did you really give a more detailed critique then the other person? No, they said they hated your's and you said you didn't like their's. Neither of you provided any information on how to better each others work in some way. The whole idea seems stuck-up, are you better then someone else because you use the word "barbaric" while critiqing art? And if these people are really "stupid", or your just smarter then them, then why did you take it upon yourself to critique their artwork, figured it would suck, since they're stupid right? Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing on you, I love having intelligent conversations and critiqing good artwork as much as the next guy. But because someone seems to be stupid, doesn't mean that they are, and life is hard enough without people thinking that they're better then you when they really have no idea what kind of person you are.[/quote]

If all you can take out of a Kahlo piece is, "I hate it it is so ugly you're gay," then you are stupid for all earthly purposes.

That aside, I agree with Arvie (No, [i]actually[/i], I've been in the seventh grade for the past three years, genius. -_-) and probably a lot of other contributors about the useless assignments thing: I've had French assignments that constituted nothing but applying pencil crayon to paper, and it's really just a waste of time/energy/trees. (No, it wasn't a colour by number or anything that involved French, itself.)
Also, a lot of teachers seem to enjoy assigning things without teaching the skills necessary. And then they give the same assignment the next year, acting all surprised when nobody's improved.

Then, you have the teachers who give tests before covering the goddam material, and I am left asking, "Why...? Just...why?"

Well it's been a while, but I hated High School. The problem was that when I started my family lived in Dallas Texas and I was attending one of the top 5 school districts in the entire US. *It was number 3 at the time* Then my family moved to Utah and the school sucked big time. I was so far ahead of the other students that at first my teachers assumed I was stupid and tried to put me in special education classes. I kept trying to explain to them that it was just [B]boring[/B] but they didn't think a mere High School student could possibly be smart enough to realize that their classes were lacking. It wasn't until one teacher got the bright idea to have me take an assesment test by the local college that they figured out I was already at a beginning college level. I still had to endure two years of classes that bored me to tears though. :animesigh Even the honors classes were boring. My mom tried to pull me out of High School and have me attend college but the schools insisted that I attend High School and wouldn't allow it. I was so glad to finally get to College. :animesmil

[QUOTE=Japan][COLOR=Navy]I could deal without all of the immaturity, drugs, sex, and drama in high school. I'm in my senior year and I can't wait to get out of there. I love the classes, don't get me wrong. I just hate the foul language, the sex, the drugs, and the smoking.

Kids smoke in the parking lot all the time, even though the parking lot is part of the campus and there is a rule of no drugs on school grounds. It just sickens me.

Another thing I hate...the immaturity. Here are people who get super depressed over getting dumped, cry because they accidently broke a nail, and complain all the time. There are also those that are loud, inconsiderate, and rude. They don't care about the people around them. They do what they want, regardless of the consequences that follow.

There are also those kind of people that are so called [I]light-switch[/I] friends. They are your friends one day, and they make you feel like absolute crap the next. I also have to deal with some other issues, like, right now, I feel like I'm being replaced and forgotten. If that's true, oh well. I don't really care all that much. I have my good friends and I'm happy to have them. I do agree that friends help you a lot when it comes to surviving in high school. Otherwise, high school would be a total depressing and lonely place.

On the positve side, there are a couple things I like. You get free text books and free classes. (college students, you know what I mean)

Another thing that's really entertaining are the fights that happen. They are often times really funny to watch. Mostly, because a lot of them are those weaklings...at my school anyways. They mostly just end up as chick aka cat fights, or a push and shove match.

What makes it even funnier is how it takes so long for the staff at my school to realize a fight is happening, and finally break it up.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree. I too am in my senior year. I have three classes at my high school then I goto a vocational school. I love my teachers at the HS, and my classes are easy, but its the people that annoy me. People are so immature its rediculous. In my Global Studies class I have alot of freshmen, and I can't stand them. I have nothing againt freshmen in general, these are simply immature ones. I'm stuck in small classes because I go at a slower learning pace than most people, not stupid, just slower, so I end up with alot of immature loud kids. I'm surprised at how well my teacher's stand it.

Alot of my friends are beginning to get on my nerves now too, I noticed this recently. There are three people I usually hang around with at school, and I'm pretty sure that after I graduate I'll never talk to them again.

I'm also so tired of the stupidity, and threats. Just last week we had atleast twenty cops at our school everyday because there was a threat of a shooting that was to occur on weds., Hitler's birthday and the anniversary of Columbine. They did catch the kid, and I guess he [i]was[/i] going to go through with it. He's a seniors drop out, and he wanted to come in and kill the teacher's that failed him and any kid who got in the way. Another example of immaturity..if your failed, usually its your own damn fault.

My vocational school isn't much better. I can't stand my teacher, and the students are no diffrent.

Anyway, enough of my babbling.

[quote name='Godelsensei']If all you can take out of a Kahlo piece is, "I hate it it is so ugly you're gay," then you are stupid for all earthly purposes.[/quote]

Well, I understand the points of both x kakashi x and Godelsensei. Sometimes I find people, not just at school, to be challenging to deal with. The stubborn, the ignorant, and the plain stupid do exist in more forms than one. I don't understand the reason a girl must walk around with her underwear showing under her kilt. I don't understand why certain students enjoy the misery of others' pain.

To counter this though, I try not to fall into their crowd, the cynical type of person that thinks their ***** don't stink. I understand my flaws and work hard at fixing them. At the same time I try not to take advantage of or offend others' through their faults. I don't think its necessary to start a war. Hate brings more hate. Anger yields more anger.

I think tolerence and patience have helped me cope with the existence of certain people.

[quote name='Godelsensei](No, [i]actually[/i'], I've been in the seventh grade for the past three years, genius. -_-)[/quote]

hey, don't blame me for my bad memory. blame my years as a sleep deprived child. i don't remember when we met, and i don't remember how long ago you were at that gifted school. so XP. ...i think i'm in grade twelve...

-ArV

Let's see, High School, weird place, bunch of ugly stupid kids, who dont know anything about life, until it's too late and they graduate from it. They wait until the very last moment to think about what they are going to do for the rest of their lives and they cram as much crap into their brains to get ready for it. Then when it finally come, they are sitting at home thinking what happened to all the fun.

Just kidding, High School is fun and enjoyable. You have all the coolest things happen to you there. You make new friends and you go to dances. Play in sports and you even get to get a Job and make some money of your own, then theres driving and getting you first or second or whatever boyfriend/girlfriend and go on dates. More time to try and think about what you are going to do when you grown up and also to stop and think about all the stuff you went through to get to the end. High School to me is a place where most of your memories happen. the good ones and you remeber all the things you did that you never thought you would do. Acomplish things and have fun. That's High School for me. :catgirl:

I would like to add or change what I said before about high school. High school is filled with people who love puttin others down. It's a warzone for teens.... Today I was walking through the halls and two guys went past me, pushed me into a wall and called me a bunch of names.That lowered my self esteem... I've always felt so happy when I'm at school with a bunch of friends but today it hurt to hear and know that others think negatively towards you..especially when you haven't done anything to them...or know them for that matter. Anyway...the school I'm at is just a warzone for kids.

[COLOR=Indigo]I'm finished with High school, but really liked it when I was there. I know, now it feels crappy to be in high school, but later on, you'd find yourself thinking about it, Reminicing about past things.

I loved being a loner. No one ****ed with me. (the stupid ones do, they usually get destroyed). I had gotten a FEW friends(by choice, I stuck to a few, I hated my school) , I still have them.

High School isn't so bad, college and the job afterward is when you'll get stressed out. (college is still fun an hell)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]High school, ne? Heh... it's alright. Lots more freedom then grade school and middle school. I mean... here, the teachers don't seem to care if you skip classes, but I don't skip much anymore. Skipping was my thing on Middle school... but in High school, I reccomend taking all your required credits as soon as possible for early graduation! ^.^

I'm having fun in H.S, but a bit more work and all that, but it's a little more layed back when it comes to having fun and all that. Just don't rush through it all! You'll find yourself missing it in the future![/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]As of right now I am a Junior in high school. First off, the kids in my school are, for the most part, ignorant/immature or too wrapped up in social groups that they can't find anything better to do than group others up and poke fun at them. There are basically 3 groups at school (I can see what they mean, but I'm one who hasn't relied on labels since my freshman year), the gangsters/wanna-be gangsters, alternative/goth and everyone else. There really aren't any nerd groups or anything like that, everyone just hangs out together.

At my school, the only people who really seem to mess with others are the prep-like girls (usually cheerleaders and whatnot). Don't get me wrong, there are still others that make fun of someone different than them, but the majority are those kind of people.

People are too high strung in HS, they get extremely upset over the littlest things which I can never see getting upset over. The smokers are just smokers, no one really cares if they smoke or not (w/the exception of the school of course); they just go to the restroom and smoke.

Overall I find my High School to be a rather fun place. The people are interesting and the fights and arguments are the things that keep you going after a half a day at school (because they're so stupid you just have to laugh and be in a good mood). The teachers, on the other hand, are a different story, but I won't get into that.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

well, as most people know, brains aren't done developing yet at the HS stage. Sometimes kids don't even realize what they're doing, and how greatly it affects people. Some people are scarred for life due to embarrasment or harassment from other people. At least thats what Dr. Phil says.

[quote name='x kakashi x']well, as most people know, brains aren't done developing yet at the HS stage. Sometimes kids don't even realize what they're doing, and how greatly it affects people. Some people are scarred for life due to embarrasment or harassment from other people. At least thats what Dr. Phil says.[/quote]

*nods* That man knows what he's talking about.

Basically High school was ment not only to fine tune your lessons already learnt, but to establish a stepping stone for your way to college...or at least that's what it's for now. Franckly, I don't think they're doing a good job, true you learn plenty of interesting things (also boring useless things) In high school, however, I think they are lacking when it comes to truely preparing you for higher education. Once they fix that...life will be good.

[color=darkviolet]Now that I'm re-reading this thread I'm realizing that I'm old and need a walker since my ten year reunion is in 4 years!

Ah, high school. I still can't say I miss it even though a lot of the rumors about me were pretty funny. Example: When I was a Sophomore there was a rumor going around that I was a lesbian while at the [i]exact[/i] same time there was one going around that I was trying to take some girl's boyfriend... Hmm, maybe neither one was true.

Sometimes I guess I wished I was popular, but that was only because I had an after school job at a local grocery store with a guy that [i]was[/i] popular and couldn't grasp the fact that after 2:15 PM school was out and the high school caste system didn't apply in the real world. Nope, some people are just so dumb that all that really exsists is their popularity and since he wouldn't leave me alone I went off on him and got fired. :mad:

But like I said at the beginning, my ten year reunion is in 2009 and I now have a beautiful baby girl and I'm married so it's time to forget what happened.... Unless I run into that cheerleader who just wouldn't leave me the hell alone.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Now that I'm re-reading this thread I'm realizing that I'm old and need a walker since my ten year reunion is in 4 years!

Ah, high school. I still can't say I miss it even though a lot of the rumors about me were pretty funny. Example: When I was a Sophomore there was a rumor going around that I was a lesbian while at the [i]exact[/i] same time there was one going around that I was trying to take some girl's boyfriend... Hmm, maybe neither one was true.

Sometimes I guess I wished I was popular, but that was only because I had an after school job at a local grocery store with a guy that [i]was[/i] popular and couldn't grasp the fact that after 2:15 PM school was out and the high school caste system didn't apply in the real world. Nope, some people are just so dumb that all that really exsists is their popularity and since he wouldn't leave me alone I went off on him and got fired. :mad:

But like I said at the beginning, my ten year reunion is in 2009 and I now have a beautiful baby girl and I'm married so it's time to forget what happened.... Unless I run into that cheerleader who just wouldn't leave me the hell alone.[/color][/QUOTE]

Heh if you do stuff a pom-pom down her gullet for meh! *Gelgoog hates cheerleaders....well Gelgoog hates cheer...so it's to be expected*

[quote name='Alchemist']High school is seriously overated. I am a freshman and got no respect, no respect at all. The other stupid freshman in my class go "haha lets go smoke weed and get drunk after class cause that the high school." Give me college please[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]This is just because your a freshman. It improves. I'm a Junior, Freshman year sucked, last year was... meh, and this year i recently stoped caring about EVERYTHING. School, friends, whatever, you name it i just dont care. It is better though.

The best thing i can think of to sum up high school is... "The best four years of life, and the worst four years of life." Simple as that. It holds some of my best and worst memories ever. I can tell you this much, i cant wait for this year to be over!

As for bullying, i must just have a good school, or something, because i'm always hearing about high schools being the most violent, or hurtful years. As much as i am sick of it (school), there isn't anyone who really bullys at my school. The most problems we have is with a few Freshman, who somehow got it into their heads that they were better than upperclassmen, but that's just a matter of respect. It's not like it matters anyway, because all the kids that act though could easily get their a**es beaten by any other kid. It's just that the rest of us have common sense.

Example: I was walking out of school one day, and there was some punk Freshman kid blocking the door. I kept walking towards him, because i wanted to leave, he didn't move, so i just pushed through him, and walked out. Then he actually gets pissed about it! He just doesn't know his place, so i figured he isn't even worth my time, kept walking and that's the end of that chapter. That's pretty much what the whole school is like, laid back. It's a pretty good environment actually. We absolutely DO NOT have anyone who will push someone up out of nowhere, and tell them they suck or something.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][CENTER]HHmmm...well...being out of high school for 2 years...now currently in college...I try and look back at the good ol' days.

I've been to a lot of diff. kinds of high schools...those in the city, suburban areas's, and even a private school (blah!). Everyone goes through their unique experiences in high school...whether you'r popular, looking down upon others...at the bottom of the food chain working your way up...or in the middle...walking on eggshells so you don't fail, or just simply coasting your way through. In the end...everything that happened in high school...all the drama, suspense, love, hate, discrimination, grades, social standing etc. etc. mean nothing.

As I said...we all go through different situations and feelings...but in the end...just depends on what you take from those experiences and how you grow. Cause that will determine your success in the outside world...or at college. You think high school is a battle ground now...wait till you try and get a job...where competition for work is everywhere...or at college where actually adults attend college, competative for good grades, drinking, sex, manipulation, competition times two...seriously.

It doesn't stop...this life is continuously testing and preparing us for the people that we're going to be for the rest of our lives. HIgh school...is a foundation...to learn what our convictions and beliefs are so that we can carry that over to our next stage in life. And the process continues...reminding and sharpening who we are.

What happens in high school...wont always be so...got so much of our lives to live...high schoo shouldn't define you...you make it what you want it to be...as in life in general I suppose.

Ah...sweeet memory lane. [/CENTER] [/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[color=darkviolet]I don't know why I'm posting in this thread again. I guess it's because high school doesn't last forever... unless you're an idiot.

Also because I ran into a girl I graduated with and hadn't seen since June '99. I got to tell her that I'm married with a kid, she got to tell me she was going on vacation. I guess it's true that what ever doesn't kill you leaves you in therapy-I mean makes you stronger![/color]

Ok, let me just state all the things about high school that I took notice of.

1. Yes, its very cliquey. There's no way that any one person can hope to crush a clique, its hard enough just to try to get along with people. Here's what I did. I did not center around anyone in high school. I didn't hang out wit hanyone for the first year, I just acted all by myself. By doing that, I was able to meditate on who I was wihout having someone find out for me. After you find yourself, branch out and be friendly to everyone who you can get along with regardless of their social standings. And if anyone looks at you differently or weird for that, screw them.

2. Yes, the homework is hard, but rejoice the fact that the homework is there to a. give you an understanding of the matierial, and b. to give your grade a good enough boost that you don't die if you screw up on a test. I'm a college student, and if I mess up at least one test, I have to spend the rest of the term playing catch-up from that point on, which gives me less time for anime, and that just sucks.
So be glad for the homework.

3. You may think differently, but once you graduate, you'll look back on your years and you will actually have learned from them, and that's coming from someone who wanted SOOOOOOO much to leave high school and go to college to escape from all the bakas there. (It's kinda pointless because there are bakas here too, and they drink more than the high schoolers, which makes them even worse.)

So that's my Dom-rant about high school.

[quote name='wrist cutter']That's because they're pussies and they probably had it coming anyway. Why are you taking advice from Dr. Phil anyway?[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Not necessarily. That's pretty cold don't you think? Some people just get buillied because they're different not because they bring it on themeselves.

Ah well, if you're scarred I say just go to therapy. If not just move on with your life, wait til your 10 year reunion and stick it to the man!

BTW, I like Dr. Phil.... Yeah I said it, I watch Dr. Phil, and Jerry Springer and Golden Girls![/color]