OtakuBoards

Favorite Bands (Threads merged.)

Guest Atticus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are in no particular order, but Im listing them.

[b]1.[/b] Linkin Park

I've liked LP since they began. The second CD wasn't as good as the first, but they're CD is just so... addicting.

[b]2.[/b] Disturbed

I like the idea of a metal band that isn't all about death, and the lead singer has a cool voice.

[b]3.[/b] Slipknot

I also like the idea of a metal band that IS all about death!

[b]4.[/b] Green Day

I met them when I was 3, and have loved their music ever since. I like their old music more.

[b]5.[/b] System Of A Down

My mom is obsessed with this band so I HAVE to like them.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Okay, I really hope someone has mentioned at least [I]one[/I] of these bands I'm about to mention.

[U]Top o' The List[/U]

[B]Dream Theater[/B]-Probably the band I'm most dedicated to, and it is not hard at all to see why. Reeling riffs and fantastic fills are the least of the great things they have. Then again, I'm more of a "technical" lover of music myself, with odd time signatures instead of these boring, predictable beats these modern bands have. It's better to stay hooked to the music, not knowing what will happen next, than listen to a beat you can easily air-drum to when you've never even heard the song before. (It happened to me numerous times) I guess I just like not knowing where the hell "Count One" is.

[B]Liquid Tension Experiment[/B]-Second band I'm most dedicated to-[B]Dream Theater's[/B] brother. This is the result when [B]LaBrie[/B] doesn't sing, and [B]Myung[/B] is replaced with [B]Tony Levin[/B]. But that doesn't make these guys any less awesome. Without lyrics, they just have to concentrate on making a meaning to their music, to create a mood. Such compositions, like [I]When the Water Breaks[/I], or [I]Biaxident[/I] are examples of that. There has been arguements over which is better, [B]Dream Theater[/B] or [B]Liquid Tension[/B], with some of my friends, and it's going half and half. The great benefit of [B]Liquid Tension[/B], is that [B]Jordan Ruddess [/B] is now a permanent keyboard player for [B]Dream Theater[/B]. So great, so unknown...

[B]Symphony X[/B]-The schizophrenic [B]Dream Theater[/B]. Dear God, they are awesome, not as top of the charts as [B]Dream Theater[/B] for me, but still in the "Gods" section. Hell, their drumset even slightly resembles [B]Portnoy's[/B]. It reminds me of [B]Dream Theater[/B] so much, with the odd time signatures and [I]mind-blowing[/I] riffs... But!! The greatest exception! The [B][I][U]singing[/U][/I][/B]. It... is horrible. I'm sorry, he does have his moments, but he overdoes the [I]vibrato[/I] and sounds like he came out of [B]Nepalm Death[/B] or [B]Metallica[/B]. Other than that, I love these guys. Definately one of my favourites.

[B]The Beatles[/B]-[B]Billy Shears [/B] will ream me for this, but this is a different kind of love. This isn't the "technical, genius odd time signatures" love, this is "simple greatness" love. [B]The Beatles[/B] are simply the greatest influence of a band on this planet. And I know everyone will agre to that. What more is there? [I]They're the Beatles![/I]

[B]Rush[/B]-Need I say more?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Grammar Panzer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]
[B]Dream Theater[/B]-

[B]Rush[/B]-Need I say more?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I know I have a cd of Dream Theater somewhere in the merged cd book of the Crisler family's music library but I'll be damned if I can find it tonight... which is kind of a bad thing because now I want to listen to them and see if they really are any good even though it's not my type of music.

As for Rush. My husband has every cd of theirs ever made...he even made an MP3 of their songs. I can't listen to them for too long since every song starts to merge together after a while. But hey to each their own, right?[/color]

In no particular order.

1) Cold

This band....all I can really say is just wow. I am talking mostly about their CD Year of the Spider. The songs are plain amazing. Songs such as Remedy, Cure my Tragedy and Wasted year are just plain amazing times ten, heh. So many memories to that CD. I am sure others who know about this memories feel the same as me, that they will be memories never forgotten.

2) AFI

I've liked this band for a good three to four years now. I didn't get into them right away like many people who like them, but I eventually came around. The older CDs are much, much better than Sing the Sorrow, but I still love Sing the Sorrow nonetheless. Heh, I remember my friend would always look at me like :o when I listened to them at my house when he was over, and now he loves them the same, if not more than me.

3) Linkin Park

Been a fan since their first CD came out. I must have gotten it about a week, maybe a little more, after it first hit shelves in my Best Buy. I walked into Best Buy and was looking at the CDs and thought the little booklet thing looked pretty cool, and bought it, heh. Fell in love right away. In the End, Crawling, and Papercut are great songs. Meteora is just as great. Numb and From the Inside got me hooked on the CD right away. My only gripes are their Reanimation CD and the CD with Jay Z. I just plain don't like either of them, heh.

I know it says five, but every band after those three are just ammassed as one big group. heh.

Favorite bands eh? don't get me started on this topic.... i'll try to be brief anyway.

#5) [B]Menomena[/B]

Local band from my hometown, first heard of them when they were the opening band at a concert i went to a while ago, their performance was so amazing that i even forgot who it was that they opened for. [B]Recommended songs:[/B] Cough Coughing, E. Is Stable, Trigga Hiccups, The Monkey's Back.

#4) [B]Mogwai[/B]

Very mellow rock band, they use very little to no vocals at all and are purely electric guitar & drums with some synth. Excellent music for falling asleep to or just wanting to relax to. [B]Recommended songs:[/B] Burn Girl Prom Queen, Close Encounters, Ex-Cowboy, Stanley Kubrick

#3) [B]Minus The Bear[/B]

Was introduced to this band fairly recently, unlike the first two, this is a fairly upbeat pop/rock band that probably has the most original sound and best use of electric guitar that i've heard (aside from my #1 band) [B]Recommended songs:[/B] Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco Twister, Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!, Hey Wanna Throw Up?

#2) [B]Stereolab[/B]

This band is the best thing to come out of France since..... well this band is the best thing to come out of France ever to put it bluntly. Its hard to label Stereolab under any genre because once you think you've got them tagged, you here another song that completely blows you away. But for the most part I guess they fall under the catagories of Techno/Electronica/Pop/Rock/Soft Rock. [B]Recommended Songs:[/B] Cybele's Reverie (my all time favorite song), Captain Easychord, Hallucinex, Tickertape of the Unconscious, Too many songs too name...

#1) [B]Radiohead[/B]

[Quote]Originally Posted by [B]Mitch[/B] :
If you're a fan of the band, then you know what I feel. I've listened to pretty much every song of theirs, and like each one in its own way.[/Quote]
Couldn't have said it better myself, ever since the release of [I]The Bends[/I] back in '95 i've been madly in love with Radiohead, the first song I ever heard by Radiohead was 'Just (You Do It To Yourself)' off that album and when i heard that song i had to track down that band and buy the album. Every single one of their albums is superb with it's own unique style and sound. Every single one of their songs is amazing and obviously born from extremely deep thoughts and raw emotions... unlike most of the cookie cutter/assembly line/mass produced punk, rap/rock, heavy metal/hate rock bands i see so many of and hear so many of these days. Radiohead is easily the greatest band of all time. period. [B]Recommended songs:[/B] Radiohead has no bad songs, i recommend them all.

[QUOTE=Grammar Panzer][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]
[B]Symphony X[/B]-The schizophrenic [B]Dream Theater[/B]. Dear God, they are awesome, not as top of the charts as [B]Dream Theater[/B] for me, but still in the "Gods" section. Hell, their drumset even slightly resembles [B]Portnoy's[/B]. It reminds me of [B]Dream Theater[/B] so much, with the odd time signatures and [I]mind-blowing[/I] riffs... But!! The greatest exception! The [B][I][U]singing[/U][/I][/B]. It... is horrible. I'm sorry, he does have his moments, but he overdoes the [I]vibrato[/I] and sounds like he came out of [B]Nepalm Death[/B] or [B]Metallica[/B]. Other than that, I love these guys. Definately one of my favourites.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I realize this is your opinion on Symphony X. but I never personally found his voice to be all that annoying, in fact I thought he had a great voice. Maybe I'm just used to the whole high falsettos (such as Blind Guardian, Rhapsody and Helloween) in power metal singing because I've been listening to it so much. (Though Symphony X is really more so Progressive Metal then Power.) I prefer the new singer (Russell Allen) to the old one (Rod Tyler) though. His voice just seems to fit better into the music they are trying to create. Also this band is basically gods in their genre, I mean I idolize Michael Romeo?s guitar playing. It blows every other band that I?ve listened to away. He is on my top five list of best guitar players in music.[/size]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]My Top 5 Favorite bands. I prefer Black Metal but will post one band for each category that I like.

Old Man's Child: Nice mix of Synth's and Organ's. Ireally like the voice too.Lyrics are full of hatred and they are also very deep. this is true Black Metal.

Napalm Death: this is really good Death Metal/Grindcore. Very good guitar Solo's. Lyrics somewhat weird but still a very good band.

Murderdolls: Nice mix of Punk-ish Vocals and Old School guitar solo's. Very funny Lyrics as well.

His Infernal Majesty (HIM): Nice blend of Metal beats and Love Lyrics. This band is very good. I really like how the mix lots of things together to bring a very good style of Metal.

Metallica: I like Metallica. they are a very good. this is what true Heavy Metal should sound like. [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]well those are some bands I like. I prefer Black Metal over everything else but I still like other bands from different catagories[/FONT].[/COLOR]

1. Thousand Foot Krutch

I got to see them in concert this summer!

Favorite songs:

Bounce
Puppet
Rawkfist
Quicken
Faith, Love, and Happiness

2. The Beatles.

See Ozy Jones' post for the explanation.

Favorite songs:

Blackbird
Only a Northern Song
Hey Bulldog
Goodnight
Taxman

I could go on forever but there's not enough room.

3. The Monkees

Another great 60's band with their own tv show.

Favorite songs:

Auntie Grizelda
Mary Mary
Alvin
Circle Sky
Listen to the band

4. Superchic[k]

Almost got to seem them in concert. I was however able to get their autographs

Favorite songs:

Hero (Red Pill Mix)
Princes and Frogs (Underdog Mix)
One Girl Revolution (Battle Mix)
Me Against the World
Stand Up (Mob Action Mix)

5. The Orchestra that does the LoTR soundtracks.

They're all so beautiful.

Steward of Gondor
Into the West

Out of all the bands I listen to, Sonic Youth is my favorite. Their sound is kind of hard to describe. A lot of critics like to compare them to The Velvet Underground, but I can't really comment on that, since I honestly don't have that much experience with The Velvet Underground. It's a pretty big compliment, though, since I always see The Velvet Underground held in a pretty high regard.

Sonic Youth is known as one of the forerunners of alternative rock (along with other bands like my second favorite group, Pixies), though their sound is radically different than any other alternative group I've ever heard. Sonic Youth is really experimental with their music, and they use a lot of distortion and crazy feedback with their guitars. They're a bit more "mainstream" now, but only in the sense that they're a bit easier to get into now. The mainstreaming process really hasn't affected their songmaking that much, really.

Sonic Youth have been making fantastic albums for over twenty years now, and frankly, I still think that they have a lot left in them. Their latest album, [i]Sonic Nurse[/i], was a really solid album, and definitely hangs with the other albums they've made.

If anyone would like to get a handle on their music, there's really no better place to go than their official site. They have a bunch of [b][url=http://www.sonicyouth.com/mp3/index.html]mp3s[/b][/url] available on their site, and some of their more popular songs are available on there, along with some fantastic cover songs (Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick", The Carpenters' "Superstar" and The New York Dolls' "Personality Crisis" among them). Their [b][url=http://www.sonicyouth.com/videos/index.html]music videos[/b][/url] are well worth looking at, as well, but if you don't have broadband, then you might as well not bother.

Anyway, I hope some people who've never listened to Sonic Youth before give them a shot. The more fans they have, the better. :)

Guest strangedrugs
oy... it's really hard for me to pick a top five rock bands/artists... buuuut...

1. David Bowie [all-time favourite EVER]
2. Malice Mizer
3. Miyavi
4. Dir en grey
5. eh... toughie.. either L'Arc~en~Ciel, HYDE, or Gazette... or Moi dix Mois...>.>;;;

Guest CaramelGhost
My favorite bands...

1. Nightwish:
Slaying the Dreamer
End of All Hope
Live to Tell the Tale
The Siren
Heck, I love ALL of their music.

2. Love Spirals Downwards
Sideways Forest
Amarillo
Welcome Christmas

3. Dead Can Dance
Cantara
Saltarello

4. London After Midnight
Kiss
HATE!
Where Good Girls Go To Die
Carry On...Screaming(Ruins)
Shatter (All My Dead Friends)
The Bondage Song
Letter to God

5. Rasputina
How We Quit the Forest
Dwarfstar

6. AFI
Malleus Maleficarum
Girls Not Grey
All of it...

I'd have to say it's in that particular order, too.

• 2 weeks later...
My favourite bands change often ^^'
I listen mostly to Emo/Punk/Hardcore Punk now and these bands are great:

1. Finch
Can't really describe the style, it's just different, and it's great music.
The lyrics aren't simple love songs, they are deep. Finch singer, Nate can really pull anything off with his voice and make it sound great at that.
Recommended Song: Grey Matter.

2. Funeral For A Friend.
Just Emo wouldn't say enough.
Great band with great lyrics. Great to listen to when you're feeling down, great to listen to when feeling happy ^^
Recommended Song: Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings.

3. Boy Sets Fire.
The first Hardcore Punk band I've heard. If you want real punk, like bashing the government and such, listen to BSF. In almost all their lyrics they're bashing stuff like, exploiting the poor, priveledges for the rich, it's just great stuff to listen to.
Recommended Song: Release The Dogs.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Ryan][size=1]

1.) Marilyn Manson
2.) Relient K

Pretty big gap in there. Satanic to Christian Punk. o.O;
[/size][/QUOTE]
I'd hardly call Manson Satanic, lol. His music is about problems in society, mainly. And he happens to see Christianity as the perpetrator as most of those problems, thusly he attacks it, lol.

For me, I love KoRn (miss you Head ;-; ), Manson, David Bowie, Hilltop Hoods and Jack Off Jill. At the moment, I'm also on an Apocalypse Hoboken kick too, thanks to Tony, lol. I tend to enjoy anything with a good, upbeat tempo, lol.

Jesus this thread is ancient. My first reply is almost redundant, lol[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

1. No Doubt
I love No Doubt. I wish they'd go back to the Tragic Kingdom Era, because since Rock Steady, they have totally left the ska punk thing behind for a electronic pop-rock sound. Regardless anything they make is good enough for me. Gwen's side project was incredible; I loved every single song on that album, although she got a little carried away with the Harajuku girls (so did I).

2. The Sounds
The Sounds rock my world. There's really not much else I can say. They got some crap for giving solos to synth player. but it's nice to find something other than the over-played pop/rock poster bands of the radio.

3. The Fugees
I'm not sure whether they're really a band, but Wyclef plays guitar so that's gotta count for something. Lauryn is probably my favorite female MC next to Missy Elliot, because of her insane delivery. Any version of the song Vocab showcases this. I've heard they're going to try working on a new album once Lauryn finishes her second solo record (FINALLY!) I've been waiting for years. I got a little worried after the mess of her MTV unplugged, but now that she's worked with Kanye, and after I found a possible track listing of the CD (appearences by Kelis, Beyonce & Fugees), I'm on the edge of my seat. She filmed a music video in august, but Sony appearantly is waiting to release the album.

[SIZE=1]Heh, I like a whole lot of genres, including rap, R&B, hip-hop, rock, and metal. It's kinda weird. xD

-My Chemical Romance
I'm not okay (I promise)

-Maroon 5
Harder to breath
This love
She will be loved
Sunday morning

-Good Charlotte
I just wanna live
The chronicles of life and death
Predictable

-Fountains of Wayne
Stacy's Mom

-The Killers
Somebody told me
Mr. Brightside

-Sum 41
Hell song

-The Used
All that I've got

-Jimy Eat World
Work

-D12
My band

Knowing me, I'm [i]positive[/i] I've forgoten some bands...[/SIZE]

Fav bands: Slipknot, Blink182 (who've sadly split up!!), The Used, My Chemical Romance, New Found Glory.

Amongst many others: [I]korn..machine head..killswitch engage..rage..SOAD..murderdolls. .hatebreed..velvet revolver..yellowcard..AC/DC..Bow lin 4 soup..foo fighters..green day..guns n roses..linkin park..lost prophets..nirvana..story of the year..AFI..Simple Plan, etc. [/I]

I could go on forever!

[COLOR=DarkRed]There are so many great band out there! I find it extremely difficult to limit my fav bands, but ill give it a shot...

1) Pink Floyd- hands down, the greatest band in the history of mankind! :animesmil
This is where it gets difficult, so to save me some time from sorting out, i'll just list some of the good ones.

Led Zep, AC/DC, QUEEN, Aerosmith, Rush, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedey's, Black Flag, Korn, Marily Manson, RAGE!!!, Slipknot, White Zombie, really there are TONS!

Looking at some other people's, i think most people here have the potential for better music tastes, but really need to explore more. It reminds me of ME several years ago, which is why i hate it so much... Linkin Park is an OK band at best, [I]but best band ever?[/I] Not at all... I (and my friends) have a HUGE selection of music, and wide range of tastes, so PLEASE talk to me if you ever want to know about new bands in any genre (of rock). I'm always happy to give my expertise. :cool: [/COLOR]

Count Down Of My Top 15, Reasons given for the top 5.

15. John Cougar Mellancamp

14. Rush

13. The Eagles

12. Led Zeppelin

11. ACDC

10. Utada Hikaru

9. The Who

8. Linkin Park

7. Tom Petty

6. The Rolling Stones

5. Fleetwood Mac-

Stevie Nicks, greatest female vocalist of all time, + my ultimate guitar hero, Linsay Buckingham has to equal something special, and it sure does. The songs they wrote, especially on Rumours ('77? or '75?) seem to be the soundtrack of my life. Amazing quality, urgency, and balance on every single track.

4. Relient K-

Christian Rock has come a long way over the past few years, and RK proves it. The quality of their music is on par with legends such as Deep Purple, and contemporaries such as Linkin Park. The depth of their faith and sincerity is simply inspiring. A good half hour with the Relient K boys has my soul feeling clean and my mind refreshed.

3. Doobie Brothers-

What can I say of the Brotherhood a la Joint that hasn't been said already? Fantastic songs straight from a high heart would brighten even the most evil goth's day. Long Train Running is especially awesome, some of you should download it, culture up, you know?

2. Styx-

I have only heard one Styx song in my entire life, so it may seem absurd for them to be my alltime no. 2, but believe me, Come Sail Away is the kind of song that is just... timeless. Come Sail Away...Come Sail Away With Me... from ashes to glorious hope, this is among the finest songs ever written.

Number One. Unus. Uno. Big Kahuna:

[b]Foreigner[/b]

Lou Graham is a beast, no to ways about it. Urgent, Double Vision, Hot Blooded, Woman in Black, Cold as Ice, Juke Box Hero, I Want to Know What Love Is, Feels Like the First Time, Long Long Way From Home, Blue Morning, Waiting For A Girl Like You, I'm Gonna Win.... the top however many that was of my favorite songs. It might be a guy thing, but Foreigner makes me feel like a beast in a field of ants, gives me confidence that I would have trouble finding, and is generally kick ***.

This is the rock group who nearly single-handedly revived rock and defeated disco. Foreigner told the world that rock wasn't dead, and the world listened.

TOP 10 SONGS (Excluding Foreigner, because it would be totally filled otherwise)

10. Piano Man
9. Love The One You're With
8. Miss American Pie
7. Kashmir
6. Big Love
5. Rhiannon
4. For the Moments I Feel Faint
3. Come Sail Away
2. What A Lucky Man He Was
1. Life Is A Highway

[b]I love so many different kinds of music...[/b]

[b]But let's just go with the ones that are permanently installed in my sound system...[/b]

[b][u]Mutiny-[/u] some wonderful pirate-style celtic punk from Sydney-- this band has the most astoundingly talented musicians and lyricists I've ever heard. They've got it all...[/b]

[b][u]Dolomites-[/u] another great pirate/celtic/punk band-- Lobotomy Bay is one o' me fave's...[/b]

[b][u]Flogging Molly-[/u] c'mon-- it's Irish, it's punk, it's oi, and [i]Matt Hensley[/i] is in the band. Freakin' Matt Hensley-- one of the coolest, most talented, down-to-earth and genuinely nice professional skateboarders to ever ride the earth...[/b]
[b][/b]
[b][u]Dropkick Murphys-[/u] nearly perfect Irish punk/oi ... gotta love the oi bands...[/b]

[b][u]Filth[/u]- good West Coast crustcore[/b]

[b][u]Blatz-[/u] same as above but even better cuz they've got two chicks in the band that make me laugh[/b]

[b][u]Dirt-[/u] some great music to be pissed off to-- hardcore punk w/ both male and female vocalists[/b]
[b][/b]
[b][u]Garmonbozia[/u]- a wonderfully original sound mixing hardcore punk with violin and 'cello... plus they're my friends[/b]

[b][u]Sofa Kingdom[/u]- amazing musical talent. They will soon be signed, I'm sure. If you like Blink 182, Sublime, or Operation Ivy, then you'd like these guys.[/b]
[b]They are pretty close friends of mine... I've known them since they were like 13 or 14 or something...[/b]

[b][u]Operation Ivy[/u]- some of the best punk rock that was ever made-- an oldie but a goodie[/b]

[b][u]Against Me[/u]- very original sound- love 'em[/b]

[b][u]Swingin' Utters-[/u] yeah, you guessed it- more punk-- and they execute their celtic punk songs quite nicely...[/b]

[b][u]Taj Mahal-[/u] not only does he make some of the best blues around, but he's from my home-state of HI:animesmil [/b]
[b][/b]
[b][u]Keb Mo-[/u] excellent blues...[/b]

[b][u]Stevie Ray Vaughn[/u]- he is (was:animecry: ) the master... for real...[/b]

[b]There are way too many great bands out there to list them all...:( [/b]