OtakuBoards

5 Most under rated and over rated bands or artists

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]We have favorite bands, but what about the most under and over rated bands and artists ever? And why.

My choices:

[b][center][u]]Underrated[/u][/center][/b]

1.) [b]The Ataris.[/b] They're not played on the radio and they're a really good band. They're music is more than decent and well...I really don't know what else to say about them.

2.) [b]Sugarland[/b] They're an up and coming country band with their debute album out, [b]faster than the speed of life[/b] I see great things happening.

3.) [b]Kittie[/b] Girl stuff at it's finest.

4.) [b]Christina Augulara[/b] Or however that's spelled. She gets a lot of crap for dressing badly and having alwful hair. But she's got a very good voice. Yeah, I know I'll get crap for that *sigh*

5.) [b]New Found Glory and Good Charlotte[/b] Everyone wants to give them crap because now they're popular and it's mostly with junior high kids. What most people fail to consider is that it took years to get where they are today. Yeah ok, so usually popular=overrated, but I don't think it is this time.

[b][center][u]]Overrated[/u][/center][/b]

1.) [b]Destiney's Child[/b] Yawn...it's getting boring. And I can't stand their new song 'Soldier'.

2.) [b]Nelly[/b] Ok, he was innovative with doing a duet with Tim McGraw, but every song is just over and over and over again.

3.) [b]Garth Brooks[/b] At least he finally retired...but God was he annoying.

4.) [b] Macy Gray[/b] I'm not sure what to say

5.) [b]Brittany Spears[/b] Maybe she should just go lay down. The only good song she ever had was Lucky back in 2001. and last summer instead of spending time with her fans at a summer camp she sponsors, she said she hurt her knee and wandered around with her curretnt husband KEvin Federline.

Well, those are my choices, let's see yours[/color]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I'm replying to this... are you trying to be like that CHW chick again?

Over
1. Mario-mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm yeah. That is an actual quote from one of his songs.
2.Ludacris- What the hell is he saying in his songs?
3. Destiny's child- Oh god. Just oh god.
4. jesse mccartney- you can either sing or act- not both.
5. Britney-I hate her songs, but if she keeps making videos like Toxic...this could change...not. Mute comes in handy, heh.

Under
1.Simple Plan-They really are one of the few young rock bands not saying "daddy didn't hit me" or something stupid like that.
2.Avril- She's 20, and she rights her own god damn music. Nuff said
3. blink 182- They are seriously funny.
4. My chemical romance-Really good songs for such a young steriotypical band.
5. Green Day- Billy Joe just wants to have fun.

Hmm interesting enough topic, i guess i'll put in my Two-Cents (though im going to limit myself to 3 in each catagory):

[U][B]Underrated:[/B][/U]

1. Metric - A Pop/Rock band out of canada that i heard about a couple summers ago. A very good band with a unique style of integrating synthesizers with an almost punk rock style of music that works really well. And the Vocalist (Emily Haines) has a very silky smooth voice. I've heard they've been on MTV2 a couple times, but i guess not enough people paid attention to them for their sound to catch on in the states. I've also seen them live once, they put on a great show and they're really good at improvising mid-song :eek:

2. Stereolab - This band has been around since the late 80s early 90s yet i still feel like im the only person who's ever heard of them. They're actually pretty popular in Europe & Japan, but I guess their sound never really caught on in America.

3. Elliot Smith - From my hometown of Portland, OR. this guy could play the best acoustic guitar that i have ever heard in my life, his songs were all really deep and filled with emotion (Needle In the Hay is still one of my favorites). though unfortunately before he found any major mainstream success, he took his own life on Oct 21, 2003. I hope you rest in peace Elliot Smith. :(

[U][B]Overrated:[/B][/U]

1. Linkin Park - these guys came out of nowhere in the late 90s and i have no idea why... Their high-pitched schrilly voices combined with over-the-top heavy metal guitars really is just annoying, i've heard so many of their songs yet they all sound completely the same to me. Rap/Rock has never sounded good to me and it never will.

2. Slipknot - not just slipknot, but all of these heavy-metal & and death-metal bands that keep popping up. They just use their "hardcore" images to sell albums but none of their songs end up meaning anything or being worth anything. Elliot Smith wrote a few songs about death as well, but his songs came from his soul and actual pain and anguish that he went through in his life. they actually meant something to his fans, but more importantly they meant something to him. Unlike bands like Slipknot or Mudvayne

3. Blink 182 - They're actually just the first band that came to mind, but this entire emo-punk rock revolution that has taken place over the past couple years is just way overrated. all of these bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, Simple plan. They all have these hardcore images that they front but all of their songs are just so fruity. It all appeals to Junior high & early high school kids who think they're oh-so jaded and have seen it all. Give me a break.

[size=1][b]Over Rated[/b]

[U]The Beatles[/U]
Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I don't think they're as good as a lot of people give them credit for. I myself am a bigger fan of ther boyband-ish era than that of their peacenik-ish one. My biggest problem with The Beatles was that [i]so[/i] many of their songs sound alike. They bore me :/

[U]Nirvana[/U]
Again, they are good, but no where as flawless as the world's made them seem. Maybe had Kurt not died they could have evolved into something a bit grander because they did have the potential. Ironically enough it's his death that made them the over rated band they are today.

[U]No Doubt[/U]
I've never liked No Doubt, mostly because I find her voice to be grating. It's so nasal my ears bleed. Not to mention her facial expressions...

[U]Evanescense[/U]
Every god damned hipster with smudged black eyeliner I come across is a die hard fan because they're sooo dark. This isn't Gothic music, kids. That it gets piled into the genre annoys me. She doesn't have a bad voice and the music in general isn't bad, but it's not amazing either.

[B]Under Rated[/B]

[U]The Sisters of Mercy[/U]
To me, The Sisters of Mercy is the quintisential gothic band and yet you come across very few people who know who they are. Andrew Eldritch has that deep hollow monotonous voice that's so key to a good dark and eerie song. Not to mention how incredibly danceable they are ^_^

[U]Hooverphonic[/U]
They were my first taste of trip-hop electronica, the only taste I cared for. The genre they're bunched into really serves them little justice. They're lyrics aren't too amazing because for the most part they repeat three or four lines over and over. It's their sound that's definately mesmorizing. It's ethereal and floaty.

[U]Jeff Buckley[/U]
Jeff Buckley is the deceased son of his deceased and well acclaimed singing father Tim Buckley. A lot of people thought he'd get off on his father's fame, but he had real talent. An amazing voice singing amazingly beautiful lyrics. He released one CD and proved everyone wrong. He drowned and was a great loss to popular music.

I can't think of anymore so I'll stop here.[/size]

[QUOTE=anatema][size=1][b]Over Rated[/b]

[U]The Sisters of Mercy[/U]
To me, The Sisters of Mercy is the quintisential gothic band and yet you come across very few people who know who they are. Andrew Eldritch has that deep hollow monotonous voice that's so key to a good dark and eerie song. Not to mention how incredibly danceable they are ^_^

[/QUOTE]
I know who they are!

I also have to agree with you on how every little over-eyelinerd-hottopic baggy bongage pant-bandshirted spookeh kid thinks that Evanescence, Blink-182, Good Charlotte etc. are the greatest things since sliced bread. I can't even tell the difference between Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and Sum-41 for goodness sakes.

Now for underrated bands.

45 Grave. Deathrock at its finest. Dinah Cancer is a great vocalist. Unfortunately they broke up in the early 90's due to the death of their guitarist. Dinah has done alot of other projects though, so its all good.

Siouxsie and the banshees. Another band where most people have no clue who they are. Great lyrics, Siouxsie is an awesome singer. They broke up too, but Siouxsie has a side project thing with her husband and former drummer of the Banshees, Budgie.

And finally, The Dresden Dolls. They are absolutely brilliant. One wouldn't think piano, drum and vocals would sound good togheter, but they do. Their songs vary in styles from the fast-tempo Girl Anachronism to the absolutely erie Missed Me. My goodness, they are such a good band to listen to. All of my friends who I've lent my cd to have absolutely loved them.

[quote name='instantramen14'] Good Charlotte etc. are the greatest things since sliced bread. I can't even tell the difference between Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and Sum-41 for goodness sakes.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I can, Good Charlotte's the one that's been around the longest and has more decent music an dactually writes their music. Nobody ever [i]really[/i] heard of them until Young and Hopeless came out in 2003 and that's when they suddenly became popular so now they're 'not punk'. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm 23 and I listen to Good Charlotte and NEw Found Glory. I bet nobody on here can actually name their first albums or tell me which track on New Found Glory's third album was also on their first.

I don't get why everyone has to suddenly sound all cool by liking their under appriciated bands (Deadsy, Sevendust, Third Estate, Death Piggy, 30 seconds to Mars ect.) and they deem everything that has a good record deal as sucky and poser. Face it, some day your other bands are going to be played on the radio and everyone else is going to like them too.

For the record I have never bought a band t-shirt and I only shop at Hottopic (even tho the Gap owns them!) for t-shirts or pants to go with what I've bought from Target, Wal*Mart, AE, Areopostale, Old NAvy or the Gap!) I listen to country music, Alvril Levign and Michelle Branch. And I like to watch Seseme street! :wigout:

Take it as you will,
Chibi Horsewoman[/color]

Have you ever thought that maybe people just plain do not like these groups? Every time I read an opinion like this from people here it's always to the effect of "people don't like it because they're just haters". The chances of it being that simple are in the minority.

I don't listen to Deadsy or 30 Seconds to Mars because I think it puts me in some cool group that listens to what someone else might consider "obscure" music. Hell, neither of them are really that obscure to begin with. Sevendust even less so. I personally enjoy Sum41 (who for the record started in 1996, just like Good Charlotte -- I don't see how long they've been around being a factor here). I don't care if I'm the guy who introduces people to new music or not. If I do, awesome, I hope they become fans and we have something new to talk about. It's not a matter of power, self gain or worth. I love music and I want people to share that.

I hate being pigeon-holed into stupid stereotypes like this. Theyare really no better or constructive or "right" than someone saying a band sucks because they "sold out" since they sold lots of albums or because they caught on. No, I'm not directly being named in these threads (who is?), but the general idea obviously encompasses me and other people here and that I know elsewhere. I don't appreciate it whatsoever and I'm sure they don't either. If fact, it just downright pisses me off.

I don't dislike Good Charlotte because they have done well. I dislike them because I think they have generic, trite sounding music with incredibly poor lyrics. I don't think you need to know a band's complete history to have an opinion of that type. This is just as ridiculous as telling someone they can't like the Ramones because they weren't around in their hey day. I wasn't around in Jim Morrison's or The Beatles years, so I can't like them as much or know as much about them because of it? Give me a break. No one can have all of that information, we might as well never talk about music or film or writing ever in that case.

Me not knowing what song appears on two of Newfound Glory's (I mostly just like them for that Cyndi Lauper cover) albums doesn't mean I don't have enough information to not be interested in them or dislike them. No one has time or patience to sit around figuring out every last bit about every last group out there. Conversely, I severely doubt many people can even tell me what songs were repeated on Deadsy's release of Commencement after originally appearing on their self titled album without hitting a search engine. Does that mean one can't like or dislike them anyway? No, of course not. I doubt many people can even name most of Macy Gray's songs either (many of which are very good). This can go on and on... yet it never proves a single damn thing in the process. People have to jump on at some time. If it's not during the band's debut, so what?

Deadsy had their time on the radio and they didn't catch on. I would have liked them to, but considering what style they play (and my disagreements with the single choices), it's understandable. 30 Seconds to Mars has really done nothing since their debut, but they are quite good and deserve some credit considering their main singer is the actor Jared Leto (these things rarely turn out well, I was happily surprised). Yet, if they did break out, why would I hate them? There are those who hate groups for selling out while not even knowing what "selling out" really means, but it's nowhere near the majority like people make it seem. A bunch of people on an internet forum don't speak for the general public, particularly one that appeals to a younger audience that likely hasn't had a chance to experience much of what's out there and are quick to say things.

If people disagree with me and think bands I don't like are the best thing since god, then whatever, that's their perrogative. Lots of bands I enjoy have done well, even moreso than any of these bands mentioned thus far. Good for them. The only thing that bothers me about a band breaking out is that ticket prices go up. I also enjoy lots of bands many other people tell me are terrible or make fun of. Who cares in that case either? I mean, sure, it bothers me and I wish people would be more open minded... but I enjoy it, that's all I really care about.

All of that, to me, is just some sort of reverse elitism that's really just as bad as normal elitism. Possibly even more so since normal elitists generally realize how they're acting most of the time on some level.

Anyway, I'm sorry to derail this thread, but that just annoyed the hell out of me. I don't particularly think any band shouldn't be in existance, no matter how much I dislike them. To that effect, I don't really feel comfortable sitting here and ranking overrated artists either. If they appeal to a group of people, then awesome, I'm glad they found something that gets their attention and people can identify with it (and yes, I know I write horrible comments about music I'm not into all the time, but it's tongue in cheek humor -- who knows how many people take it completely seriously).

Anyway, I'm done lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
UNDER-RATED (In no particular order):
1. Miss Dynamite: I love this girl. Her rhyming style is aggresive without getting all angry and gangster, and as a person she is very socially conscious regarding the music industry and political issues. She's not that bad of a singer either, but her approach is so hard hitting you really don't care that much about her voice (like on the song "Put Him Out")
2. Van Hunt: This guy is like Hendrix/Kravitz/D'Angelo put in a blender with a dash of Austin Powers flavor. I guess he's not really underrated as he is unknown, but
3. Tegan and Sara: I love the song "Walking With the Ghost". Their whole album (So Jealous) was this raw, free-spirited approach to rock. I'm not that much of a die hard fan, but the sound of the singer's voice is terrific.

As for over-rated:
50 Cent: His arrogance is getting on my nerves.
Cassidy: Anyone can be a rapper as long as you can rhyme to words together. A record deal should not be based on whether a person can use a thesaurus or talk rhyme party with Bacardi.
Chingy: Same as above.
Fabolous: See Cassidy.
Maroon 5: Joss Stone should have won best new artist. Adam Levine's voice is annoying, and is even worse live (like at the Grammys).
Bowling for Soup: They're not that special; It's the same old pop-punk stuff.

[B]Interesting things that have been said:[/B]

[QUOTE]blink 182- They are seriously funny. - Morpheus[/QUOTE]

Blink 182 is one of the most popular punk groups around, excepting that group of people that always has a problem with good music. How are they underrated?

[QUOTE]Blink 182 - They're actually just the first band that came to mind, but this entire emo-punk rock revolution that has taken place over the past couple years is just way overrated. all of these bands like Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, Simple plan. They all have these hardcore images that they front but all of their songs are just so fruity. It all appeals to Junior high & early high school kids who think they're oh-so jaded and have seen it all. Give me a break.- QuincyArcher[/QUOTE]

How are you even putting Blink 182 in the same category as Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne?? Blink has been around roughly TEN YEARS MORE and had to WORK for their acclaim. TEN YEARS BEFOREE= before the "emo punk rock revolution". They are a catalyst.

My list goes...

[U][B]OVERRATED[/B] [/U]

[B]Metallica[/B]- Let's face it, they may have started some big rock revolution a decade ago, but now they're just old men obsessed with money and their egos. That some kind of monster DVD is pretty much just Lars whining ON AND ON AND ON!

[B]Incubus[/B]- Their albums are starting to leave a taste in my mouth that rather resembles shoe leather. The single for an album will be good, and the rest of the songs will be a drum beat with one cord for 6 minutes. And the whole liberal politics thing is starting to get old.

[B]Nirvana[/B]- Or more accurately Kurt. Guys, he wasnt that great of a guitarist...

[B]Linkin Park[/B]- Im just tired of the image changing. They start off hybrid theory with a rock look, go to reanimation with an anime look, meteora is structured like a rap album, then they do that album with JayZ and lose the ROCK that used to be in their RAP ROCK. And they've been together for about 6 years and they've only put out two albums! (Remixes and Remakes and live versions dont count as new albums).

[U][B]UNDERRATTED[/B][/U]

[B]Flogging Molly[/B]- C'mon, who's crazy enough to turn down an Irish rock band?

[B]Coldplay [/B]- So what if they're really quiet and mellow? The stupid rap and punk only world needs some quiet now a' days.

[B]The Crystal Method[/B]- What makes me mad is that hardly anyone has heard of them and their music is played in every action movie ever made. Blade Trinity had two of their songs.

[B]Reel Big Fish[/B]- Rock for losers, basically. Rock with brass ensemble. Anyone who has seen WATERMAN flash movies has heard them.

[B]The Offspring[/B]- I live Offspring. I hate that everyone just went out and bought Splinter last year and put all the songs on deir wittew pwofiwes and xangas to make them look cool. The Offspring has been kicking *** since before many of us were born.

UNDERRATED:

[b]The Zutons:[/b] If you haven't heard the Zutons, you're probably not alone. I first saw them open up for The Killers and they had such a stage presence that they had everyone there clapping their hands and jumping on their feet. People loved them so much that when I saw them open up for Keane (I went to see The Zutons and NOT Keane even though they were ok), there were actually Zuton fans there.... which wasn't the case for The Killers. If you haven't heard the Zutons, go buy their album. It has gotten great reviews, and once you do that, go see them play live... SO F-ING GOOD! They'll be huge soon... so very huge...

[b]The Killers:[/b] I love The Killers... almost every song from their album is great. They are getting really big now, which i hope doesn't effect their great music. They are unique and produce a great upbeat sound for everyone to like.

[b]Breaking Benjamin:[/b] I own both their albums. Even though "So Cold" has been over played I still enjoy so many of their songs. I would love to see them live and I might this summer when they play Earthday Birthday here in Orlando.

[b]gODHEAD:[/b] Can't go wrong with a techno-rock mix band who was produced (and some songs written and played) by Marilyn Manson and Twiggy Ramirez and has big names like Wayne Static featured on great songs. If you haven't heard gODHEAD do yourself a huge favor and go get an album or download a song.

[b]Fischerspooner:[/b] ANother wondeful group. This group is so full of energy its unbelievable. I first saw them play on Last Call with Carson Daily and have loved them since. They have one albums (#1) out, and are currently planning on the release of their second (#2) sometime this year i believe. Their electronic sound is unlike any other. Wonderful....

[b]BT, Paul van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, etc etc:[/b] And any other trance/dance artist/DJ who's been creating great music for limited listeners, except the ones rollin on X, but they won't remember them anyway so it's a waste. Dance music just doesn't have any grounds in America quite yet and it sucks for great artists here.

I like My Chemical Romance too... very good...

OVERRATED:

[b]System of a Down:[/b] Look I know Serge had Opera singing lessons, but he's not singing opera now is he and if thats not a clue to how bad his voice is, you can just listen to any song of theirs... esspecially that new one... I loathe Serge, although besides him I don't mind the band all that much.

[b]Rap Music:[/b] I don't get it... I don't understand how there could be so many no name losers producing so much crap...

[b]Pop Music:[/b] Read above

I dunno what else. I'm picky....

Tony, you'll be glad to hear I'm going to see Danzig in concert on March 6th.

Danzig ... I have kind of stopped keeping up with the guy. Has some great older albums though (not even including the Misfits stuff). That could be a fun show, but the type of people that go to them always seem like something that would ruin it for me lol. Have fun.

[quote name='Transtic Nerve][b]gODHEAD:[/b'] Can't go wrong with a techno-rock mix band who was produced (and some songs written and played) by Marilyn Manson and Twiggy Ramirez and has big names like Wayne Static featured on great songs. If you haven't heard gODHEAD do yourself a huge favor and go get an album or download a song.[/quote]

There's only one song that was co-written by those two on 2000 Years of Human Error (the song is of the same name lol). I had noticed in the liner notes way back that one of the songs was written by "S. Putesky" though... I wonder if that is Scott Putesky who used to by Daisy Berkowitz way back in Manson's earlier years.

The producer was some other guy whose name I forget, though. Manson's Posthuman Records published the CD, but he didn't actually produce it. I remember reading something about how the band wasn't entirely happy with the producer because he kind of just made it his record instead of theirs, but they were happy with Manson and his hands off approach towards their music.

I never did get around to buying Evolver, but their earlier stuff is also great. They defintely are underrated.

Also, I somewhat agree with CHW's choice of The Ataris because I do feel they're quite a bit better than many similar bands out there... although I do not like their last album at all.

Offspring seems like a weird choice to me, but I guess it depends on ones age. They've been largely ignored the last several years, but I remember when they broke out before that. They were one of the most popular groups at my grade school... but I have to remember I live in a city, perhaps things just get played more around Chicago? I don't know lol.

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman]

Yeah, I'm 23 and I listen to Good Charlotte and NEw Found Glory. I bet nobody on here can actually name their first albums or tell me which track on New Found Glory's third album was also on their first.

[/QUOTE]

That brings me back to when I was in middle school and wore a NIN broken shirt to school and these kids kept asking me to name songs of the album (assuming I was just a poseur or whatever since Downward spiral was out then).

I think there are enough reasons why Good Charlotte is bad that I don't have to add mine.

[B]Overrated:[/B]

50 cent. I think they basically just dragged out someone with street cred and built an album around him. Seemed like he ascended on hype alone.

Green Day. The MTV world is all like "oh, now we think they are good again!" for some reason, but they don't sound much different than what they have always been doing. Not bad, but overrated.

Modest Mouse. Honestly this is my all time favorite band ever, so its kinda weird to say. The latest album is indeed great, but its not their best work. It feels weird to me for them to be popular because if it. I never really bought into some of the indie scene's complaints about their major label stuff being over-produced, but going back and listening to Building nothing out of something makes me realize that they lost something.

Interpol. Very generic, and to me they don't really add anything to music. Darlings of the semi-popular indie scene are definitely over-rated.

Bright Eyes. I have one album from bright eyes, and I think its all I will ever buy. Teen tirades about medications and girls were the specialty of Conor, but he never really evolved. The latest work is being praised so much, but I think its just people trying to sound cool by digging up indie bands and spotlighting them.
[B]
Underrated:[/B]

Children of Bodom. The metal scene shuns them becasue of their weird Doors-esque keyboards, but really its what sets them apart from the growling D-chord metal that gets boring fast.

Ratatat. Not so much well known, but people I share their album with should be falling in love with it but they are not. This is my ultimate subjective choice, but really whats wrong with you?

Modest Mouse. People who like Float on should realize that its the tip of the iceberg. Seriously prepare yourself because this band has a huge library of music now that is almost infallible. Pope-like if you will.

At the Drive in. So many people out to be pissed that this band broke up and spawned really bad "side projects". So many people should be pissed that we should go find them and make them live in a Real World TV show type experience until they get back together. Their final album was such a huge step that I hate them with passion for breaking up.

Franz Ferdinand. Not really overrated except in the sense that they spawned a movement where every other 80's new wave sounding brit pop band came out and overshadowed them. Be honest with yourselves, the Killers and Zutons are crap. Especially the Killers are so boring that I wonder why people like them. Just go out and buy an 80's collection from the TV infomercials and realize how useless they are. Wow, that sounded like it should have been in the over-rated column.

[QUOTE=Kazuko][size=1]
I was going to argue against your statement on The Killers, but then I saw you put Modest Mouse in both Underrated and Overrated, all because they became popular or something of that sort. I realized it was then useless to argue against you, because you would come up with more nonsensical BS. *Shrug*

[/Quote]

I realized that your reading comprehension is low, or that your perception is just clouded (jedi mind trick) so that you can just assume things, rather than try to understand what I was saying. It pisses me off to have you not even read my post and call it BS. Just give your list and don't comment on mine unless you actually read it please.

[color=#B0251E]I can only think of one suggestion at the moment.

[b]Underrated[/b]

[u]Marilyn Manson[/u]: Apart from all of the labels (ie: being a scapegoat and being called "Satanic"), I think the general populace is simply missing out. I think most agree (at least those who are aware of his music) that he has at least one or two songs that are going to appeal to almost anyone -- that is, if they give him the chance.

I really regard Manson as a unique artist at the moment, if only because he really keeps pushing both aesthetics and music (and keeping them relevant to one another), while simultaneously ensuring that both the aesthetics and the music are carefully considered and grounded with some sort of reason and premise.

Internal, external, contradiction and fusion...there's a lot there to consider. It's a shame most don't.[/color]

Overrated:

Gwen Stefani: Oh come on. All shes doing is ripping off perfectly good books and plays and turning them into..... whatever they are

Evanescence: I find them very annoying and they're music isn't really good.

New Found Glory: They're music isn't bad, but they singer has that high pitched squeaky voice that blocks the music from reaching you.

Hoobastank: Why was The Reason so popular? The guy sings some weird lyrics in a weird voice, and can;t seem to pronounce "reason"

Underrated

True punk music: No one seems to realize what true punk is. Music that involves saying stupid crap and playing weird music.

Amen: A great punk band with awesome lyrics and sweet drums.

Janes Addiction: I dont really like them, but they had plenty of talent, and the Perry Farrel had a great voice.

System of A Down: Great music, plenty of controversial topics, which I like. I also don't much like Serje's voice, but he is aiming for a more towards a metal audience.

Overrated:

Snoop Dogg: Somthing about a singer who sings about how much ***** he gets and gets number one hits, just pisses me off.

The Used: Somthing about them just bugs me.

Jimi Hendrix: Despite being a great guitarist, Jimi just doesn't have very good lyrics, yet everyone loved him.

Aqua: Oh jeus chirst, this band is so incredibly annoying it makes me want to rip out my eardrums everytime I hear them.

All of Newage Music: Despite being ok in its own rights, New Age Music just can't compare to the Rock classics of old. It's just not good!

Underrated:

Rush: An amazing band with a rather eccentric vocalist, which puts most people off. But if you can love Geddy's voice, then you'll find out just how amazing this band really is.

Sam Roberts: Frankly, I don't see how anyone can resist the overwhelming musical talent of Sam Roberts, but somhow they seem too.

Thats all I can think of right now.

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]First of all, I cannot believe some of the stuff I've seen here as for overrated. Sure Metallica is one of the most popular bands ever, but that's for a very good reason. They're probably the only band that has been able to slightly tweak their music bit by bit to stay popular, without it sucking. Their songs are extremely deep and I say James Hetfield is one of the best songwriters ever. They're definitely not obsessed with money. Trust me, they've already got more money then they'll ever be able to spend, and yet, they're still making music and touring. That should say something. And Slipknot? Sure they're very popular, but they are an extremely talented band, and they have very good lyrics too, not just some generic, "Kill, kill, kill, ****, kill, kill, kill, Satan, Anti-Christ, kill, kill, stuff." Also Jimi Hendrix (my idol). The fact that he WAS such a good guitarrist should be enough, but he was a great singer, and his lyrics were just as good as any other band of his time. Anyways, now that that's out of my system:

[U][B]Overrated[/B][/U]

1. Guns N Roses
I never even liked their music much. Appetite for Destruction was the only reason they became so popular, and that wasn't that great of an album. A few one hit wonders, and the rest of it sucked. And now there's Velvet Revolver, who I think sucks too. and is played on the radio way too much.

2. AC/DC
One of my favorite all-time bands, yet I still think they are way too popular. I never really liked them as much with Brian Johnson, I think their golden days were with the late, great Bon Scott, one of the greatest singers of all time. I think their best album was definitely Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, and I also think Back in Black is way too over hyped. But I still love you Angus. No, not really.

3. No Doubt
I think Gwen Stefani is a very talented singer, but just not a good band. A lot of their songs sound the same, and for some reason they just bore me. I think this band did have some great potential, if you hear their remake of "Oi to the World", you'll know what I mean. They could have been a great punk band, there is way too few good punk bands with a female singer.

4. Green Day
Way too popular. They owe most of their popularity to their near-perfect timing in a world where grunge was dying and it was time for something new. Almost every one of their songs sounds like another one of their songs, and most of their lyrics are stupid, some funny, but most stupid. I have to admit, they are the only band that could make a hit song about yo-yo's, or whackin off. (Longview!)

5. The Ramones
Geez, another band I really like. Well, I know they were the first punk band and all, so they were sorta revolutionary, but even if you're a diehard fan of them, you have to admit that all their songs sound the same.

6. Rancid
I don't really like them much anymore. They used to be better, but with age grew image, and I think they're a lot more "pop-ish" than they used to be. Plus it seems like they try way too hard on that voice, which definitely isn't natural.

7. Sex Pistols
I like them too, but they're still not that great of a band. Most of their popularity came more from what they did than the music they made. People just love the fact that they're all rebellious and violent and stuff, but their music just wasn't that great.

8. American Idols
What is it, like season 4? Ugh. Not one of them came out with a single good song, and not one of them deserves the popularity they get. Although, there is finally one cool singer this season, Bo Bice, and I'm totally rooting for him this year. He looks like a metalhead, and he's in some band, but he is an incredible singer.

[B][U]Underrated[/U][/B]

1. Led Zeppelin
I know they already are extremely popular, but I think they deserve even more. They set the stage for so many great bands, it was more thanks to them than any other band that Heavy Metal ever came to be. They have incredible lyrics, incredible riffs, they're just "classic" in every sense of the world.

2. Testament
One of the greatest metal bands EVER! I don't know much about them, but I know I love their music. Their older stuff is a lot more speed metal, with deeper singing, but their newer stuff is what I really love. I forget the name of their guitarrists name, Alex something, but ya, other than Kirk Hamett, he has the coolest solos. They are extremely underrated, and I'd say their best album is The Ritual.

3. Nine Inch Nails
Trent Reznor kicks ***! He's one of my most favorite singers, and their lyrics are awesome. They're pretty much one of those bands where you either hate them or love them. They're not very popular, but I'm sure most people have still heard stuff by them. (Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve.) My favorite songs by them are Piggy, Heresy, and Head Like A Hole.

4. The Distillers
Yay! Brody Dalle is like, my second favorite singer ever! This is the only band I can think of that totally rocks and has a female singer. She has a voice unlike any other singer you'll ever hear, male or female. It's a very powerful voice. Ya, they're just one of my favorite punk bands out there, and I think if more people heard hpw great they are, they could be the next big thang.

5. Juvenilia
Ya, dunno why I put this here. Juvenilia is the band I'm in, and obviously nobody's heard of us. But I wanna be mainstream! Remember this name, cause one day my band will be the biggest, best fricken metal band ever. I can dream.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]Underrated:[/B]

Queen: Infectious pop-rock with daring subject range and outstandingly innovative musicality. The real tragedy is that their most well-known songs are their least impressive, and famous only for their ability to provoke the unwashed masses into fits of rhythmic stamping and chanting.

Cream: Psychadelic blues featuring Eric Clapton and Jimmy Paige. Surely even my irredeemably tasteless generation can appreciate that dynamic combination.

The Zombies: One of the few great British Invasion rock bands, and one of fewer still to incorporate jazz beat and baseline into standards of the style.

The Eagles: Electrified country with more on its mind than lovelorn ballads, and more to offer than just Hotel California.

The Zutons: Thanks to Transtic Nerve's apt reccomendation, I can confirm that this group is both fantastic and severely underrated, and certainly not to be missed.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Palatino Linotype][U][B]Underrated:[/B][/U]

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by [B]MehrLicht[/B]
[I]Reel Big Fish- Rock for losers, basically. Rock with brass ensemble. Anyone who has seen WATERMAN flash movies has heard them.[/I][/QUOTE] Reel Big Fish sounds familiar...I've heard some of their songs that they did for DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball while watching my cousins play it. "I Want Your Girlfriend To Be My Girlfriend, Too" is an awesome song. "The Kids Don't Like It" is another great one.

[U]Evanescence:[/U] That girl's voice doesn't really match the sort of theme that they're going for. It sounds like a high school choir girl with a local band or something...

[U]Brittany Spears:[/U] Do I need words? Seriously, she can just go die...along with the president...I mean, I'm not the type of person to say that about people but man...

[U]Jennifer Lopez:[/U] Um...how many husbands in two years? Or was it one? Her voice is alright, but uh...she just took it way too far.

[U]The Simpson Sisters:[/U] Ashley seems like she fakes being stupid like her sister. It's trying too hard to the point where it's annoying. And if I could, and the law would allow me to, I would kill Jessica myself. Do I need a reason? No... :p [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Jung-Woo][COLOR=RoyalBlue] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][U][B]Underrated:[/B][/U]

Reel Big Fish sounds familiar...I've heard some of their songs that they did for DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball while watching my cousins play it. "I Want Your Girlfriend To Be My Girlfriend, Too" is an awesome song. "The Kids Don't Like It" is another great one.

[U]Evanescence:[/U] That girl's voice doesn't really match the sort of theme that they're going for. It sounds like a high school choir girl with a local band or something... :p [/FONT] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I really like their song Somebody hates me (reel big Fish) I heard it on an anime video that someone had done to clips from Trigun, funny stuff. Also I Hate you **** you leave me alone :animesmil

Oh and on the Evenescence note, did anyone notice that a few weeks ago at the Grammy's they were nominated for best [b][size=3][i]POP GROUP?[/B][/I][/SIZE] :bellylol: Take that. I mean yeah, I have the CD, but they're about as punk and my mother-in-law is a biker...and my mother-in-law is [i]not[/i] a biker.

Another underrated would be [b]Home Town News[/b] They're a country band that came out with [i]Good Bye 20's hello Mini-Van[/i] a few years ago. I haven't heard anything else from them, but the song was funny.

Oh and my cousin Adam's band. They're just underrated because nobody outside of people who have heard them play have heard of them. :D I think that should count.

Ashlee Simpson should just resign herself to playing back up to her sister and get over it. She's not pretty she has no talent and she had some pretty emberassing things happen to her.[/color]

[QUOTE]The Simpson Sisters: Ashley seems like she fakes being stupid like her sister. It's trying too hard to the point where it's annoying. And if I could, and the law would allow me to, I would kill Jessica myself. Do I need a reason? No...[/QUOTE]

I hate Ashley simpson. If it wasn't for her sister, who can actually hit a note..i'm sure everyone would see her as the nobody she really is. What annoys me the most, is the fact that she thinks she's "punk" lol. She wears a stupid punk tee, plays on a skating game in one of her retarded videos, and whadda know.. shes PUNK! haha, what an idiot!

[QUOTE=TOTALIMMORTAL]
[B][U]Underrated[/U][/B]

1. Led Zeppelin
[/QUOTE]
Under NO way is Led Zepplin UNDERrated.

[COLOR=DarkRed]That being said...
[B]
Overrated:[/B]

1) All rap music... that's pretty self explanitory, it sucks.
2) All teenie boper crap (Britany Spears, Simpson sisters, etc.)
3) All this stupid "pop punk" (Good Charollette, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, etc.)
4) Green Day, Marilyn Manson... i'll admit that they are overrated, but it doesn't change the fact that they are good!
5) Anything else that sucks...[B]

Underrated:[/B]

1) GOOD punk music (Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc. except for the Misfits... they arent underrated, but still very good.)
2) Most indie (Killers, Muse, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, Ima Robot, etc.)
3) Rush...
4) Miscellaneous (Presidents of the United States of America, Warp 11, etc.)
5) Most good music in general.

[B]*NOTE:[/B] Just because something is overrated does NOT mean that its bad... just look at Pink Floyd, or Jimi Hendrix! However overrated bands usually are bad... *cough, Blink-182, cough...[/COLOR]

[quote name='-tiGz-']I hate Ashley simpson. If it wasn't for her sister, who can actually hit a note..i'm sure everyone would see her as the nobody she really is. What annoys me the most, is the fact that she thinks she's "punk" lol. She wears a stupid punk tee, plays on a skating game in one of her retarded videos, and whadda know.. shes PUNK! haha, what an idiot![/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Ashlee Simpson is punk??? :eep: When did that happen? Of course, I have no idea what EMO means so maybe that's when Ashlee became punk.

I'm not sure what else to say.

[b]Overrrated[/b]

1.) GArth Brooks-An overweight man running around on stage in a cowboy hat. Need I say more?

2.) Lindsay Lohan-Stick to acting please

3.) Hillary and Hailey Duff- Just run off please, you're both 'So Yesturday'

4.) Kenny Chesney- Ok, I like some off his songs, but the one about kicking everyone's butt being the American way. Just what we need [i]another[/i] red neck out to impose the US on the rest of the world. In the words of a t-shirt: [spoiler]F.U. K.C.[/spoiler]

5.) Evenescence- Yeah, I guess Amy Lee is hot :animeswea and she can sing (I liked her duet with her boyfriend from Seether when they did Broken) but they haven't come out with a new album in a few years.

[b]underrated[/b]

1.) Country music- No real reason, I just like country music

2.) An army guy I know- He does have talent

3.) My cousin's band- They're underrated because no one has heard of them and good because I said so.

4.) Me- Well, I sing in the shower and no one has heard me sing so I'm underrated

5.) They Might Be Giants- They friggin' rock[/color]

Just because Ashley Simpson wears a few shirts and skates around doesn't make her a "punk". I've honestly never heard her directly say she was or even imply it. I don't know why people think image equals everything.

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]
[b]Overrrated[/b]

5.) Evenescence- Yeah, I guess Amy Lee is hot :animeswea and she can sing (I liked her duet with her boyfriend from Seether when they did Broken) but they haven't come out with a new album in a few years.
[/color][/QUOTE]

I agree they're rather overrated considering better bands have been doing this same sound for years upon years... but their main release came out in 2003 and they had a live album in 2004. They can't put something out every six months... I think that's a bit unfair, but yeah lol.

I don't quite get this Marilyn Manson "overrated" stuff. By who? The handful of fans that do like him? That can be said of [i]any[/i] group. Their albums sell around one to two million copies (and that's at best), the following isn't as massive as many people would lead you to believe. Considering what the band offers when someone bothers to look deeper into them, I don't really think they fit into that category at all.