OtakuBoards

Retri's Canvas

Retribution

[color=indigo][font=tahoma]Hum, they look very--what's the word I'm looking for--professional, or promotional? Very clean and clear, all of them. There is, however, one I do not like.

Noin. I don't like this banner. It looks too cluttered and crammed. I think it would look better it it stuck with the theme you have going; face shots.

Other than that, looks pretty good. It's nice to see something different from your abstract work.[/color][/font]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will have to agree with Goddess the images are very clean and just look great. They are so simple and yet they are so effective. The characters are great quality and it really adds to the overall effect.

*Bows*

[SIZE=1]Hah. No need to bow, Ima. You're pretty dang good yourself.

On this next banner, I originally had the words "thigns fall apart," but decided it didn't look as good as what I have currently. All grunge brushes made by me. :p

[b]Apart[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/apart.jpg[/IMG]

Moving along, I tried to stick with the theme of splash images, and the minimalistic feel as far as typography goes. How'd it go?

[b]Ink[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/ink.jpg[/IMG]

Anyway, I hate the typogrpahy on this banner -- it looks too grainy in retrospect. But I'm proud -- I made these with BRUSH PRESETS. Not even my own custom brushes. Booyah!

[b]Stand Alone Complex[/b][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/standalonecomplex.jpg[/IMG]

[font=tahoma]I am going to say that I like the second one "Ink" the best. The clash of green and pink is perfect. The green isn't too over-powering, and the pink isn't too Barbie doll-esque. They balance each other out, and I've not seen pink and green balance out quite as beautiful as this one has. I don't know about the small font under "Ink"; "the primitive means of communication". It's a great phrase, but it just doesn't look right to me..perhaps cluttered, or too shadowing of the word "Ink".

Other than that little detail, the picture is wonderful. Absolutely gorgeous...*saves it* >.>[/font]

[SIZE=1]Sorry I havn't replied lately. Havn't been living my life as a fan girl lately. But I am back and I am tap tap tapping!

[B]Apart[/B]: Wow. I absolutely love this graphic. But there is one thing that kind of bothering me... the lighting effect you made on the sides. It may be me but it just kind of throws me off. I think you made a new layer and splashed some white on the sides, but very creative thought. It reminds me of Emma Full of Grace. God I love that movie...

[B]Ink[/B]: Heh. I don't know really what to say about this banner. It's something that I might do during a day of practice. Well I guess it is good since you made it with your own presets. Clicks for Retri! *click click*

[B]Stand Alone Complex[/B]: My favorite graphic you have done so far. This just reminds me of space and knowing that there is more to knoweledge. Or it can just be a bucket of paint that spilled on to the floor. Heh...[/SIZE]

Hmmm well Im at a loss of words since these banners/images are just so great. I mean the images flow so well I cannot say anything bad about these since it all just seems to be so perfect.

Apart: This gives me a sortof weird feeling when I look at it but its a good feeling. The colors are very cool and I really like how there are some lighted spots on this it captures the feeling that I get when I look at it perfectly the colors don't clash and it blends well. The text is placed perfectly and Font you used fits the image.

Ink: I liked this to an extent don't get me wrong its amazing but I really do not like pink and black in the same picture it just doesnt appeal to me. The image itself is made with great skill and If it werent for the colors I would love this

SAC: This is amazing I cannot believe I am seeing this with my own eyes. This is one of if not the best pieces of work I have ever been able to lay my eyes on. This is by far my favorite of all your work and It really shows how great you are as a artist. The colors are Simply amazing and they catch the eye. This piece is awsome

This really dose deserve a *Bow*

EDIT: I will finish the review once I get back sorry :P I am just getting out of traffic and im almost home so.

EDIT: Im at home and I finished. :P

[CENTER][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Alone-
I don't really like how it looks pinkish. It may have been more appealing (In my opinion) if it was... More brown. I love the font, and the white goes really weel with the pink-ish color. My only other problem with this one is that... There's not much to look at, really. It doesn't stand out as amazing.

Ink-
Much better than Alone, I think. The colors clash a bit, but it is a bit busier, more to look at. Also, the text is awesome. I've noticed in most of your works (I have many a time glance at your thread, yet never posted until today...) You tend to lean toward abstract works, mostly brushes and text. Occasionally you'll use different pictures, but overall you seem to enjoy making things from scratch. I salute your work. (Also, you are a texting MASTER!!! Where do you get your fonts, if you don't mind my asking?)

Stand Alone Complex-
*Stares in awe* That is the single most amazing work I've ever seen. You deserve another bow *Bows* You did all that, and the font you used is so simple... So common! How DO you do it?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1]All the fonts I used on these works, were default with Photoshop CS. Nothing I downloaded. But I do download a few here and there from [I][url]www.dafont.com[/url][/I]. Check it out sometime. I don't exactly know why some people were seeing "Ink" as green and pink. I intended it to be black and pink, and it came out as such. I have [I]no idea[/I] what's wrong with your computers.

Here's another one I cranked out tonight. BURNIN' THE MIDNIGHT OIL while talking to Domon. If you want to know exactly what 'Dada' means (yes, it has meaning), search on Google for 'Dada Revolution.' It actually does have to do with art. Haha. This project is oriented more towards typography being the meat of the art, not anything else. Something you'd see in a magazine or something...

[I]Final note: TWENTY TWO EFFING LAYERS ON THIS ONE. >_<[/I]

[b]Post-modernization[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/postmodern.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

Postmodernization:
Hey that one's interesting. I can't make out any words except "postmodernization" and "Kinetics of Love" But the jumbled layered kind of look is for some reason appealing. It's very abstract and newspaper-like except without that nasty grey paper and newspaper-ish smell. :animeswea
It looks clean cut like some of the other ones of your banners, or perhaps that's just because of the white and black type thing. I also like how you put gold in there, it goes with the whole image nicely.

Anyways, I'm looking through your art and have to say that they're very impressive. Keep up the good work.

[SIZE=1]I'm trying to expand my "style," I guess you could call it. I'm harkening back to the Futurist and Dada Revolutions of art back in the early 1900s. The very definition of art had to be changed, as artists began to come out with things never seen before. It was the precursor to postmodern art.

So here, I try my hand at this again.

[b]Minimalism[/b]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/minimalism.jpg[/IMG]
[B]
EDIT:[/B] I just saw Batman Begins, and it inspired me to do this next piece. I remember feeling alot like Batman did a few months ago.

[b]Knightfall[/b]
[IMG]http://img56.echo.cx/img56/4567/batman2un.jpg[/IMG]
[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hey Retri,

I like this new style that you are opening your eyes to. The simplicity of the use of typography is very appealing to me.

[B]Dada:[/B] I don?t really like this piece. I know the image you are trying to portray and from the way that you layered or ?over-cluttered? things, I believe you didn?t quite get the image you were looking for. I think just spacing the text out and not overlaying it over each other would have been a better idea. Still looks great to me, I couldn?t be able to do that.

[B]Minimalism:[/B] This piece is like eye candy. So simple and sophisticated, and I think you got this image right on the dot. The fading effect also and IMO you are really improving in this new style of yours.

[B]Knightfall:[/B] The colors on this piece are very dark and I like it. The only thing I dislike about this one is that the small text behind ?Strength Retribution?, It feels that it?s to dominate and maybe try some blending options or opacity changes.

Nice work and I hope you start to get this style down,
Sun[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Thanks, Sun.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about how I can make my art a bit more unique, and take a step away from the abstracts I've been doing. I hope you don't mind, Sean. I used your poem's title for my work... I'll edit it if you wish.

[b]Star Shot Down[/b]

[IMG]http://img127.echo.cx/img127/5324/ssd6fa.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Gosh, Retri! That is simply amazing!

It has yet to register in my mind how you can make something so simple look so nice. I just don't get it! The font and use of blue gradient is simply awesome. The attention to detail... The border. It all just [I]flows[/I].

The text is perfect. The glow matches the odd rectangles/squares perfectly. I don't think I'll ever understand how you got a bunch of blocks and some text to turn out this great. *Jelous*[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Retri, Retri, Retri.
Very very good. The only minor problem are the scanlines. Maybe make them a bit less prominant? Other then that, this has been your best "Dadaism" piece.

Keep up the great work and we needa make another collab sometime. Maybe of Catherine Zeta-Jones? Haha.

Peace,
Sun [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Rising Sun][COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Retri, Retri, Retri.
Very very good. The only minor problem are the scanlines. Maybe make them a bit less prominant? Other then that, this has been your best "Dadaism" piece.

Keep up the great work and we needa make another collab sometime. Maybe of Catherine Zeta-Jones? Haha.

Peace,
Sun [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]Thanks sakurasuka and Sun. I'm glad I have some positive feedback on these.

I don't know if I can take Zeta-Jones' stare long enough to work on the canvas with her. I'll think about it though. Haha.

Here's a farewell present to you all. Comment away and I'll read them when I get back. Yay!

[b]Geometry[/b]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/geo.jpg[/IMG]

[b]ATTENTION[/b] I'm not gonna be around for the next week, so don't be surrpised if this thread sinks to the lower regions of the Studio. Also, keep challenging other users through the Graphics Club, and feel free to post art in a separate thread (but specify you want GFX club to look at it, probably through notation in the title like "[GFX]." Later fellow artists. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]Geometry:[/B] The colors are amazing they are so beautiful and nice. They just look great. I get a good sense inside when I look at this image, blue is such a great and wonderful color. The overall image is so beautiful I really cannot explain how I feel about this piece :)

10/[b][I][U]10[/U][/I] [/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Thanks, Ima.

Here's another image, minimally modified, so hopefully you can see the end product, and not just a little bit of effort. It's about how man can create beautiful things now...

[b]sun.FLOWER[/b]
[IMG]http://img161.echo.cx/img161/1696/flowertech1cq.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Ima][SIZE=1]
10/[b][I][U]10[/U][/I] [/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=gray][size=1]*cough*

[b]Geometry[/b] is nice, but not perfect. Now it looks like the text is the main part of the banner. If it had been blended in more and a bit smaller I really think it would look better.
It's too busy, but also too plain. This is probably caused by all of the pixels. If they would be less dark, the banner would be less busy. In reaction, the background would look less plain aswell.
Last thing would be something really personal. I don't like the size of the banner. If the height would be cut down to 105 or 100, I myself think it looks much better.

Don't get me wrong. It's a really nice banner, but Ima ticked me off with his uber rating. A 7.5 out of 10 would be more in place.

[b]sun.FLOWER[/b]
Strong colours, the circles look really nice and the pixel numbers give a nice last thingy to it. Different from the rest of your work, but in a great way. If I'd rate graphics this would come near an 8.5/10 (be proud, I never rate and if I do, it's quite harsh ;P )[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]Thanks Boo-Boo Head. =p

Here's a fake CD case for a fake band. Sue me if the song titles/band name/CD title suck. I like it overall, so how about you?

[i]Stock: Iksela from deviantART[/i]

[b]SKYE[/b][/SIZE]
[IMG]http://img152.echo.cx/img152/7457/skyecd5bz.jpg[/IMG]

[font=tahoma]Ooh, looks like it could be a real band's CD cover. It has the smooth jazzy feel, like you would expect to put the disc in and be washed away into a summer night's breeze. The serenity and relaxation of the pic is so warm and subtle.

The only thing I'm going to comment on is the small font is a tad fuzzy. I'm sure you couldn't help that much. And I am not sure if I feel the "Skye" on the side...maybe if it were inverted. Meaning that when you read it from top to bottom, it would say "skye" rather than "eyks".

Other than that, looks really smooth. Makes me wish it were a real CD to grab up and listen to ^-^[/font]

[color=blue][size=1]Retri! I love them! Your last two pieces are great strides forwards from what you'd previously been doing (though it's all good, lol). It shows that you can make fantastic works without distorting or changing the original image too much. And the stocks are AMAZING. Really Retri. You've become my god. <3

[b]sun.FLOWER[/b] is wonderful because of its brilliant colors. It really pops out at you. The pixeled numbers are creative (in a sense), too. The circles work so well with the rest of the image. Gah.. I love it. [b]9/10[/b]

[b]SKYE[/b] is very nice, too. It looks like an actual CD case! Love the picture you used. ^_~ And actually, I think you did a great job with coming up with names. I'd never be able to think up any names [i]half[/i] that good, so don't go saying they suck. =P Gah.. So wonderful.. [b]9/10[/b]

The only reason I didn't give you "10/10" was because.. well, it's just impossible to be perfect. =P[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]Thankee Goddess & Kit-Kat. I was kinda gunning for that Jazzy feel, so I'm glad I acomplished that.

Anyway, I made another piece, but it's not very work intensive. It look me a good ten minutes of working, but that's not what took this so long. It was finding a picture of a nice-girl. Meaning fairly good looking, not looking like she's some prostitute, is in color, and gives you a warm vibe. On dA, most of the stock photos of women had panty shots and what-not, or girls looking slutty, naughty, mean, too sexy for their own good. I wanted a simple picture of a girl standing up, smiling at the camera gently, looking attractive. The one in the picture currently I had to rotate (she was laying down), and crop (she had stuff hanging out all over). But I made it [i]look[/i] like she was nice. Right?

This work is meant to be more of a statement than a masterpiece of mine. I wanted to show how sex-driven the world is today. My image searching on dA is a perfect example of that. Too much sex, not enough modesty. Enjoy.

[i]Stock on the left is from [URL=http://www.deviantart.com/view/12263339/][link][/URL], and the right picture is by earthtorachel of deviantART.[/i]

[b]THIS IS NOT BEAUTY[/b]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/beautyugly.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

[color=blue][size=1][b]THIS IS NOT BEAUTY[/b] is great. It really represents something that a lot of people can connect with and appreciate. Women who are "sexed up"- as is the girl in black in white, a.k.a. ugly- aren't always attractive. The way you did it is wonderful, and my only problem is the way you typed "ugly". The word looks a bit too flat (though you might have intended for it to be) for my taste. But other than that, it's great. ^_^ [b]9/10[/b]

Damnit, Retri.. Stop being so good. Dx[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]I'm not going to comment on all your pieces individually, because I'm lazy =D. But all of them are really good, and it's nice to see that you're branching out from the usual and testing your skills in other areas of graphic designs.

But my favourite out of your latest pieces is most definitely "This is not beauty".

Mostly because I totally agree with it, but I've been wanting to do a piece with that kind of emotion and statement behind it, I just couldn't find the right pictures :/

You done a gorgeous job, though, well done as always.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Jebus I had to DIG for this thread. I hope I don't ever let it die this much. But! I have da goodz! Okay, enough funny talk. It's been quite a while, and my mind has been split in a million directions working on several projects. The first one has been on my computer for several weeks now. I've been applying a filter, saving, the closing this one, so it's a culmination of different feelings and ideas. Thusly, it sucks. =p

[b]Color Block[/b]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/colors.jpg[/IMG]

[b]Ompalumpa. Biatch.[/b] -- This is my Otaku Graphica 2005 Round 2 submission. <3 it.
[CENTER][IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/chocfact.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[b]Power to the People -- Waxpanther Movement[/b] -- Boredom kills. Don't let it happen to you.
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/waxman.jpg[/IMG]

[b]Orange Sunset[/b] -- Possible layout for a future site of mine.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8526/layout2ak.jpg[/IMG]

[b]Blood on the Ground[/b] -- [i]I don't wanna talk to you anymore/ I'm afraid of what I might say/ I bite my tounge every time you come around/ cause blood in my mouth beats blood on the ground/ ~Incubus[/i]
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/clashcollage.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]