OtakuBoards

Retri's Canvas

Retribution

It has been quite some time since I have been to the boards, 01-21-2006, at 01:09 AM, to be exact
I'd like to congratulate you on your promotion Retri.

I'll check up on the boards every week or so and post on your latest work, that is of course if you feel like making them.

Bottles: This is very nice. I love the water effect that you have made on the "glass" and how it looks like the bottles are actually full of some type of liquid, of course you could've just taken the bottles from an actual image and made a few adjustments. The grunge on the bottles or the displacement of them is very interesting. And the addition of a different colored bottle seems to add to the overall effect of, to me, individualism.

Although it has been quite some time since anyone has posted and I am re-opening a "dead" thread I believe it is appropriate.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]It's been a while since I've seen some of your work, however, I still adore your color schemes. The solid colors appear very vividly. Helping to contrast towards the beginning of the two bars where the colors fade and merge into one another. Also upon your use of the slanted direction of the yellow, blue, and white bars. The angle of which those colored bars and how they match up to the dashed lines help to further focus upon the center piece. I love you splatter, unlike many artist you've used it in moderation.

The text fits very well. Especially the effect of which you used on the lower most of the picture. The text is over lapping, but at the same time readable. The shades of pink used for the numerical two is befitting, matching with the bottom. The overlapping into splatter while other letters touch and become part of the empty spaces above it. Your placement of 'Pick It Up' is a good choice.

Getting down to being nit-picky. The small little area of where the light blue, white, and pink bothers me slightly in terms of design. Although I like the way the three come together, having them over lapping at the same point in the image goes a bit against some of the dashed lines. I'd like the image better if one of the merges started slightly later in the image, or was increased, preferably the top one.

Lovely job, Retribution.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]

Gorgeous.

I love the coordination of the spatters and coloured diagonal lines. I don't know why exactly, but the placement and the fact that there's two blue lines beside one yellow and one white, just draws me more towards it.

Also, I know noone else that can use colors as well as you. If I tried to use pink, blue, yellow, and white in a piece, I'd fail miserably.

I really don't have a whole lot of critique on this piece, seeing as some of the placements and such are the only things that irk me. And those are really just personal choice, and opinion.

So, all in all, I'd like to say that you are quite possibly the most talented artist ever to grace OB with your presence :D

Keep it up, you've got a career in the making here.

[/size]

[SIZE=1]I agree with the above ^

You have such a professional way of finishing your pictures I'm amazed that you've never been trained for something like this. I, like the others, adore the way you've made these colours fit together, especially because I'm a huge fan of contrasting and bright colours (which you've...probably figured out, haha). I have one problem: I had to squint to see that 'Pick it up' is what the main textual focus says. I know you wanted to have it so that there were no spaces left, but they seem a little [I]too[/I] close together, and blend in with the white of the background.

That's really the only problem I have with this piece, and it's pretty minor, because the first thing I think when I look at it is 'Wow, talent.'[/SIZE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Much props to my man's, Retribution. Keepin' it real in the '06. Holla at me, son.

But anyways. I do really like the piece. The color composition reminds me a bit of one of my drawings by the title of "Twelve Gauge Baby/Guess Who?" which I'm sure you remember. Heh. Very calm, Zen-like, but with enough interesting color to make it still pop. 'Kudos'... or whatever they say.

It would be awesome to see some more pieces like this. I look forward to the project this is for.

-[b] The Boss[/b]

(There... I posted like you said. Now tell your men to leave my family alone! Or I swear to Go- *static buzz*)[/color][/size]

I'm sorry I could not post a bit sooner but i've had some things going on.

Simply amazing, as always you add in the small details that really catch the eye and add so much overall. All of your pieces are very crisp and clean. The best part is that you never try and over do it, you just go with the flow. The colors blend quite well and the text fits. Although I dislike the fade on the left end, it almost fades into a blue and makes the flow cut off in a very abrupt way.

Overall it is very nice, but does have its "iffy" spots.

Great Work As Always :P

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Well what I like best is how you?ve combined colors that would normally clash when put together. I also like how it fades from the outside and then grows stronger in the middle of the piece. About the only thing I don?t like is part of the word pickitup. As the final letter p seems to vanish into the white line and splotches. Other than that, it looks great. ^_^ So what?s it for? If you don?t mind telling.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Thanks for all the love. :3

Here's a piece I did today. What's it missing? It feels like it needs another color in there, but I'm not sure how to do that. Comments are welcome!

[B]Note:[/B] Entrada is spanish, but "aolo" is just a fake word I made up.[/size]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/enao.jpg[/IMG]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]You're right. It is missing something. And unfortunately I can't pinpoint exactly what either, but it certainly isn't another colour.

I feel like there's too much empty space (the text in the background kind of blends together and just looks like a pretty background). And I don't like the box you have around [entrada aolo]. Try making the white part transparent. Maybe even take out the words completely and leave the four big letters.

If you don't want to take out the text, I'd try playing around with the placement a little (with and without the box). I'd suggest placing it (without the box) underneath ENAO and make it big enough so that it's the same width.

Other than that it's pretty cool, maybe not your best, but definitely nice to look at.[/FONT][/COLOR]

En Mi Opinion :P

It is nice..

You once told me not to use text to fill space.. And you did just that. Your main text is taking up space and takes away from the overall work. I'll agree with white on the box.

Not your best work but the Background is nice and the colors don't hurt the eye.

Pretty good.

Sorry for not posting, I took a long trip to Maine.

[size=1]Thanks for the comments. Here's a random logo I made tonight after about an hour's worth of tossing around typography designs. If you ask me it's rather boring, but I have trouble adding symbols/icons without it looking cheesy. Pointers welcome.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/echologo.jpg[/IMG]

Experimental photography ftw.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/webshotfour.jpg[/IMG][/size]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I really like the ECHO piece. The only problem I have is that for a logo, it's got too many colours. The rectangles are cool, but they might look better if they just went from white to the blue you have for Echo.

My other beef with this piece would be that you can't really read the blue writing at the bottom. Maybe just darken it a bit?

The picture one is kind of cool. I like how you got a picture of Alexander on the computer. Pretty cool idea. The top right square is also cool with the blurry numbers and whatnot. But the left squares are just kind of bland. Needs more text or something. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]