OtakuBoards

Most Annoying Video Game Character

liam mc

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Am I the only one here who doesn't find Navi from OOT to be overly annoying? Really, the "Hey! Look! Listen!" isn't all that bad of a voice clip (the Cucco sound byte while you're carrying one is way, way worse in my opinion), and unless you're extremely slow with things, you don't get all that many of her little reminders. Personally, I think her useful information about enemies more than makes up for any annoyance she might cause.

Which is more than can be said about Tatl, the fairy you get in Majora's Mask. I swear, most of what she has to say is either insults about Link's knowledge or overly obvious information that you don't need to be told. She's the one I want to stick in a bottle and toss into the Southern Swamp; I'll take Navi over Tatl any day.[/color][/QUOTE]

They're both annoying as hell. And I can't believe you don't like the Cucco sound byte! I hope I'm not the only one who think it's funny when Link grabs a Cucco, and it's flapping around everywhere and squawking. :animeshy:

And I completely forgot about Slippy. Saving him every five seconds gets old. I wonder if Fox ever feels like going after Slippy himself and gunning him down? I know I would.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Am I the only one here who doesn't find Navi from OOT to be overly annoying? Really, the "Hey! Look! Listen!" isn't all that bad of a voice clip (the Cucco sound byte while you're carrying one is way, way worse in my opinion), and unless you're extremely slow with things, you don't get all that many of her little reminders. Personally, I think her useful information about enemies more than makes up for any annoyance she might cause.

Which is more than can be said about Tatl, the fairy you get in Majora's Mask. I swear, most of what she has to say is either insults about Link's knowledge or overly obvious information that you don't need to be told. She's the one I want to stick in a bottle and toss into the Southern Swamp; I'll take Navi over Tatl any day.

Also, I found Rikku to be cute rather than annoying. Especially during the sequences when you first cross the Thunder Plains. That has to be one of my favorite parts of the game, watching Rikku and Auron interact. :animesmil[/color][/QUOTE]
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! Navi was helpful, and polite. Plus she didn't sound like a doorbell.

Tatil on the other hand, *shudder*.

Tatil was rude, insulting and he/she/it never stopped complainig about the surroundings. Tatil knew next to nothing about the enimies, while Navi knew almost everything.

in short, navi was helpful, tatil was not.

Navi was obnoxious as far as I was concerned. The shouts from her were entirely too constant, particularly if you don't want to focus on something long enough for her to say her spiel about it. It also effectively made me feel as though the game was holding my hand, which I don't really appreciate considering the game wasn't overly difficult.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Navi was obnoxious as far as I was concerned. The shouts from her were entirely too constant, particularly if you don't want to focus on something long enough for her to say her spiel about it. It also effectively made me feel as though the game was holding my hand, which I don't really appreciate considering the game wasn't overly difficult.[/quote]

True, but....

NAvi was at least polite, and could speak SOME form of english. Tatil just made doorbel noise and insulted you. I'm sure people don't buy games to be insulted, do they?

I think Tatl made sense in the context of the game. She didn't want to be on the adventure in the first place, she's already been portrayed as mischieveous and so forth. Tatl didn't bother me as much because she existed as more of a extra voice since Link never says anything. Navi did as well, in a way, but I found her more grating and her style was patronizing, in a way.

I can see why people would dislike either of them, though.

I found Raiden annoying. I just wanted to play as Snake, yet for whatever reason we're forced to play as "Jack the Ripper." Too bad you couldn't make Raiden shoot himself in the game, that would have been quite an innovation. We should've just been able to play as Pilskin instead of Raiden.

[quote name='Mitch']I found Raiden annoying. I just wanted to play as Snake, yet for whatever reason we're forced to play as "Jack the Ripper." Too bad you couldn't make Raiden shoot himself in the game, that would have been quite an innovation. We should've just been able to play as Pilskin instead of Raiden.[/quote]

I would have to agree. The whole whiny "Is my girlfriend real?" pussiness of Raiden just threw MGS2 down the toilet. The game would have been awesome if they had let us play as Snake all the way through, or do an alternative story mode as Pliskin/Snake. The relationship between Raiden and Solidus seemed like it was thrown together, and Kojima's attempt at ironic wit with the whole "U.S. soldiers called Japanese air planes 'Jacks'," and that such just did not fit. The story, also, would have been much more bearable if there wasn't the love triangle between Raiden, Rose, and Arsenal.

Thankfully, we got our retribution in Snake Eater when you [spoiler]are given the chance to kill Raikov[/spoiler] in just about any manner you choose, if you don't mind a brief Caution mode. But that still doesn't fully make up for the hours I had to watch his girly-*** cartwheel instead of an awesome crashing roll, or hear his high-pitched and confused voice instead of a gutteral grunt in reply to just about anything.

*shakes fist eastward at Japan*

huzzah. there are people who hate raiden.

absolutely no-one i know hates raiden, as most of them prefer him over snake.

raiden has to be the WORST thing to ever happen to the MGS series of games, and i took great pleasure in making pliskin shoot him (that was hilarious).

[color=#B0251E]Wow. I can't say that I really liked Raiden...but geeze people, chill. lol

I mean, there were things about MGS2 that I didn't particularly enjoy in general (some story aspects, the frequent codec interruptions at the start of the game and the ridiculously forced "love story"). But you know, it was a fun game in terms of gameplay. And that's what matters mostly...to me anyway.

My brother and I found Raiden oddly attractive, too. So maybe that could be considered some kind of compensation. Ahem, moving on...

One character who I never found annoying until Sonic Adventure was Amy. Does anyone else really dislike Amy in the newer games? Specifically, her voice and attitude.

I'm sorry, but she's a total cow. Not only is she outright rude to Sonic for no apparent reason, but she talks like an adolescent Rosanne Barr. Yuck.[/color]

Wow after reading all of your replies i feel like i can give some Sypathy to Tingle, erm, maybe not :devil:

Oh and Raiden from MGS2 i guess he was kind of annoying, but then again at least you got to use all of the cool weapons :animesmil

[QUOTE]One character who I never found annoying until Sonic Adventure was Amy. Does anyone else really dislike Amy in the newer games? Specifically, her voice and attitude.

I'm sorry, but she's a total cow. Not only is she outright rude to Sonic for no apparent reason, but she talks like an adolescent Rosanne Barr. Yuck. [/QUOTE]

spoken like a true gamer.

I'm ashamed to admit that in the older games i was an amy fan. (the poyo-poyo hammer gave me a nice break from jumping on people's heads! XD) but i's have to agree with james.

the reason is simple. SEGA are beginning to let their standards slip. SEGA were (some say still are) the kings of videogames. but some aspects of their latest games have been a little shabby.

anyone care to elaborate?

Guest shadowmatrix
Jinpachi Mishima of Tekken 5. The hardest final boss EVER in ANY game. he shoots an unblockable fireball that takes 75% of life. he has several stun moves. his moves take priority over yours. and he takes like half damage from every hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b]This one's easy--no contest--it's [u]Jester on Socom[/u]. [/b]

[b]That freakin' bastard is [i]always[/i] doing something retarded and screwing up the missions. [/b]

[b]You tell your team to stay put, and that jerk goes running out and gives away your position... or he runs right up to the C4 you've just set and blows himself to smithereens.[/b]

[b]It's always [i]something[/i] with that stupid clown ( *smirk*)... running into walls, firing his weapon when you're making an attempt at stealth, just generally being an idiotic bastard... and doing everything you need him NOT to do if you want to accomplish your mission.[/b]

[b]It's [i]beyond [/i]"most annoying" with Jester-- he straight up pisses me off. I'd like to go into the game and shoot him myself...[/b]

[b]Although... I would also like to make soup out of that irritating, stuffy-nosed ****ing turtle on Sly Cooper... [/b]

[b]But, no-- Jester wins the "Most Irritating Dumbass" award in the video game characters catagory-- hands down.[/b]

Well, I'll have to say not many characters annoy me. :) I like reseti, and blathes, tingle is just scary. o.O and navi never got to me. though for the person I am going to say does not annoy me to much. its just some stuff she does. >.> Daisy. from the mario bros. In mario kart DD, she passes you and screams " HI I'M DAISY" I mean how annoying can you get? O_O and just the way she acts. >.>

-Peach

[QUOTE=JuliasPeach]Well, I'll have to say not many characters annoy me. :) I like reseti, and blathes, tingle is just scary. o.O and navi never got to me. though for the person I am going to say does not annoy me to much. its just some stuff she does. >.> Daisy. from the mario bros. In mario kart DD, she passes you and screams " HI I'M DAISY" I mean how annoying can you get? O_O and just the way she acts. >.>

-Peach[/QUOTE]

[Color=DarkBlue][Size=1]Your just mad 'cuz she's muscling in on Peach's territory, lol.

In all I find the Chainsaw people from the Village in Resident Evil 4 annoying. They always pop up when you have no ammo, so you spend five minutes trying to get ammo to shoot them so you can reload and kill them.

Also, has no one mentioned the evil that is Toad? I mean, how can someone just stand there smiling the whole time? Gah, it's just wrong![/size][/color]

[quote name='elfpirate][b]This one's easy--no contest--it's [u]Jester on Socom[/u'].[/b][/quote]

I'm assuming you mean from SOCOM, and not SOCOM II, because in II, Jester rarely does anything. Even when the fire team is sighted, he doesn't make that much commotion, even with the "Fire At Will" command.

Boomer, on the other hand... God almighty what idiot did they base his AI off of? I have the entire team on standby and hold position when I'm waiting on a target to present itself, right? It's almost a habit to do so, that's how often I manage. I usually have the silenced M4A1 carbine or the M82A1, so anyone that steps out into my sights is not going to be happy. So what does this fool of a team member do? STRAFES RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME WHEN I SHOOT!

"Tango spotted, twelve o'clock high."

"No, j00 f00l!"

"AHHH, ARGH UHHH! *gurgle*"

"..."

[/rant]

Honestly though, SOCOM and SOCOM II are great. III looks even better. Don't knock it because maybe your game is slightly flawed or something. If Jester's moving about try reinforcing the commands. Use the "Goto" with your sights to specifically pinpoint Bravo at one area. And always keep them on the Hold Fire command unless you get in some serious trouble [like all members have red health indicators].

[QUOTE=Chaos]I'm assuming you mean from SOCOM, and not SOCOM II, because in II, Jester rarely does anything. Even when the fire team is sighted, he doesn't make that much commotion, even with the "Fire At Will" command.

Boomer, on the other hand... God almighty what idiot did they base his AI off of? I have the entire team on standby and hold position when I'm waiting on a target to present itself, right? It's almost a habit to do so, that's how often I manage. I usually have the silenced M4A1 carbine or the M82A1, so anyone that steps out into my sights is not going to be happy. So what does this fool of a team member do? STRAFES RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME WHEN I SHOOT!

"Tango spotted, twelve o'clock high."

"No, j00 f00l!"

"AHHH, ARGH UHHH! *gurgle*"

"..."

[/rant]

Honestly though, SOCOM and SOCOM II are great. III looks even better. Don't knock it because maybe your game is slightly flawed or something. If Jester's moving about try reinforcing the commands. Use the "Goto" with your sights to specifically pinpoint Bravo at one area. And always keep them on the Hold Fire command unless you get in some serious trouble [like all members have red health indicators].[/QUOTE][b]lmao-- yeah, I was talking about Socom 1... and I tried everything to keep that freakin' fool in line--ha ha... that's why he pisses me off so badly... because even that didn't work.[/b]

[b]And I agree- the games are great-- and Jester does follow commands better in II, but he's still kind of an idiot... or maybe I'm still holding a grudge from Socom 1...:animesmil [/b]

[QUOTE=triforcelad]I think the most annoying character is Cornel Campell from Metal Gear Solid 1.
"Press the action button to drop down!" (5 seconds later) "Press the action button to climb" What does he take Snake for, an idiot?[/QUOTE]
yes he does actually. those quotes are aimed at the beginner (i know, i didn't know they existed either!)

I hated Slippy I didn't just feel the need to shoot him, I did. It was the first thing I did when we came to a planet. His voice just grated my nerves. But no matter who much I hated him I hated that pig guy a lot more.

Tingle on the other hand I liked. When I talked to him it made me feel a lot better about myself, I kept telling myself at least I'm not him.

For the fairies, they both sucked. I wanted to catch them in a bottle and throw them to the bottom of an ocean.

I know this guy was mentioned like in the third or something post but I have to re say him.

The guildmaster from Fable is quite annoying. The ""your health is criticle"" when your already dead and back again gets on my nerves. He even says it after you heal with food. But the reason i dislike him so much is he reminds me of Obiwan from starwars...

I swear his voice would echo and id expect him to say "Use the force luke." Uh it drove me up the wall.

I thought the most annoying video game character was that dog in Clock Town in Majora's Mask. Not only did he bark incessantly, but he'd chase me when I was a Deku Scrub.

Then I turned into a Goron and threw him in a pool.

Hence why I now call him Jaws. :animeswea

geez, lots of people here busting on raiden from MGS, yeah, he kind of sucked, but as cool as snake is, in MGS3 his voice gets on my nerves more then anything, the game is alright, but the voice is trying so hard to sound cool, it just sounds retarded, he always holds his words to make them just a bit longer with his scratchy "I'm stealthy, and trying to be cooler then any other character ever" voice

[QUOTE=Erika][size=1][color=royalblue]
AND I HATE TINGLE. He's so ugly and just---YUCK. He's a damn oversized pickle with a beauty mark...a sack of lard crammed into a green body suit and a thong just isn't what should be in a [strike]Zelda game[/strike] any game at all. [/color][/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]HAHAHA!! I just loved Erika's description. I just found him to be extremely creepy which was probably why I found him annoying. No wait, maybe it was that silly 'song and dance' (OoT) he did whenever he'd blow his balloon back up. Ah, whatever I still found him annoying.

After spending the past hour reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion:

Navi and Tatl were both annoying. However, it would've been difficult not to make them so, since they were placed there to remind you to do things or tell you how to defeat most enemies effectively. However, Tatl was just plain rude. I hope they get rid of the fairies in the new LoZ game. If they don't it'll start the stereotype that fairies in LoZ know everything about every enemy, save for Ganondorf.

Slippy in Lylat Wars was a definite annoyance. Especially at one particular point where he'd be idiotic and get shot down crash landing onto a planet. So THEN you have to go out of your way onto that godforsaken place to save his stupid self. Although the other characters got it in the way often too. The entire game was somewhat annoying. Too easy and too dumbed down in general.

Amy in Sonic Adventures. I agree James, she was annoying. Thank goodness Sonic made a quick getaway as soon as possible. Her high squeaky voice, and "I'm sooooooooo cute I can make you sick" made me cringe.

Omochao too. Stupid blue robot flying thing in Sonic Adventures. A few times I got really annoyed, because you accidentally touch it and it flies around your head spewing all sorts of information in some silly voice, so then I end up grabbing it and throwing it at a nearby enemy. Which doesn't work mind you, because after that he complains about being hurt!! It's a vicious cycle.

Fortunately I haven't met some of the other annoying characters I've seen so amicably described. They sound bad enough to put me off the game completely.[/SIZE][/COLOR]