OtakuBoards

Most Disapointing Anime

Aerain

[COLOR=Navy]If you leave Naraku and Keiko out of InuYasha, you wouldn't really have a plot now would you?

For me, the only disappointment I've had was the Metropolis movie. It wasn't very good in my opinion, and it didn't quite fit my tastes.[/COLOR]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original Mobile Suit Gundam. I didn't expect to love it or anything, because I'm not a huge Gundam fan. However, i figured it had to be an extraordinary series, if it could spawn so many spin-offs.

Well, shows what I know. It was crap.

Anime like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are true works of art in my opinion. Sometimes, however, I find the most popular anime that everyone (people who probably have never read a manga before) to be the most disappointing. For example (and remember, this is just in my opinion), Inuyasha has gotten old and repetitive for me. It seems the series just simply never ends... A lot of fan girls I know are complete fanatics of Inuyasha though. I also find that any Dragonball series, Poke'mon, or Yu-Gi-Oh, gives the general public the wrong idea about what Anime really is. There are so many good anime out there if you just look for it...

[quote name='Aerain']If you were to ask me, I would definitively say Berserk, I thought it was the best anime ever until episode 23 but after then, it gets really bad: the ending leaves you speechless, it's horribly confusing and wierd, on top of that it leaves you wanting for more, not because it's good but you really want to know how the guy's is going to be saved, because things looks really desesperate. Anyway, I don't plan on reading the manga to get the rest of the story but I hope they're going to end the show and maybe put a better opening song.[/quote]

So very right, but the ending of Wolf's Rain wasn't all that bad, sad themes ease my pain :animecry: :animesigh ;) :animeknow :animenose The nose bleed one was for no reason my friend wanted me to put that one on there.

[quote name='marking time']This was the climax of the series and to call it a disapointment is very very sad. I feel the disapointment came when the fans could not get over the creator's ending the series the way he felt it should and, making him create a movie that leaves more unanswered questions than answers. Yes the movie is good too but its sad that it was done as revenge for all the death threats and complaint letters Anno recieved. Let the genius do his work he knew what he was doing and the movie is nothing but revenge for hate mail.[/quote]

Sorry that I didn't believe Anno was God. I never realized that every choice he made was the right one. Never mind the fact the last two episodes were boring, flat, annoying, and represent everything negative anyone had to say about the series, if Anno said it was the real ending it [I]must[/I] be good. You must pity me and my foolish concepts of personal opinion.

Its a tie between Excel Saga and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I'd heard nothing but great things about Excel Saga. It was apparantly one of the greatest non-stop laugh fests ever. When I finally get around to watching it, I don't find myself amused. On the controary, I find myself very annoyed by the loud-mouthed blond girl on the screen. "Meat! Meat! Meat! Meat! Get back here you doggy treat!" That was the first time in a long time that I'd rolled my eyes involuntarily. While the annoyance died down by the third episode, I still wasn't laughing non-stop. It gave me a couple chuckles, but not the full-hearted laugh-so-hard-that-I-tear-up comedy that I'd been promised. Maybe some day I'll watch the rest of the series out of curiousity, but I doubt that it will ever be high on my priority list.

Its a similar story with GitS:SAC. I'd heard that GitS was violent, fast paced, and deep... my favorite kind of anime. While the episodes have gotten better somewhat, the first ten episodes or so always been me on the verge of sleep.Even now that its fast paced enough to keep me conscious, the show fails to be really gripping. I'm still going to check out the first movie though, because I've been heard a lot GitS fans complaining about the same thing.

Other let-downs were Record or Loddoss War (typical D$D story) and the endings to Neon Genesis Evangelion and Berserk. (but those last two are still my favorite anime series)

[QUOTE]Sorry that I didn't believe Anno was God. I never realized that every choice he made was the right one. Never mind the fact the last two episodes were boring, flat, annoying, and represent everything negative anyone had to say about the series, if Anno said it was the real ending it must be good. You must pity me and my foolish concepts of personal opinion.[/QUOTE]

Its Just my Opinion too. no hard feelings. I Personally like the last two episodes others may not. It was my bad to go off like that.

[COLOR=#FF5646][SIZE=1][quote name='CB Shin']Sometimes, however, I find the most popular anime that everyone (people who probably have never read a manga before) to be the most disappointing.[/quote]Probably 'cause its "greatness" rides on popularity alone. If it can't measure up to the amount of hype it received, it will truly be a disappointing anime. Blame it on publicity.

Most disappointing anime? Hmm... [b]Wolf's Rain[/b].
It looks so pretty but the pacing bored me to tears. The first few episodes looked promising; a story about [SPOILER]wolves, Paradise and flowers[/SPOILER] intrigued me (sorry if that didn't deserve a spoiler tag). Halfway through I realized that the only thing that was keeping me from dropping the anime was its pretty colors. *daze* [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I know alot of you guys don't like Inuyasha but it still stands as my fave anime. But anyway, I think the most disappointing anime for me would be....Milk Chan, man did it suck, my friend loves it, for some reason, but I hate it.

I know most people would shoot me for saying this, but compairing it to the Manga, Inuyasha was a major letdown. Also, Trigun starts off slow but gradually gets better as it develops further. I hate the way that the series ended though.

yeah! go inuaysha! whoo! *high fives with kaisha* the reason it's so long is more for the characters than the actual storyline. Anyways, Rumiko Takahashi is pretty much famous for her ability to stretch events. i absolutely LOVE the romance though. there's not so much in inuyasha, but i love the romance in Ranma 1/2 whatever there is left in between the fight scenes.

but i really really enjoy spiral and gundam seed.

hmm... the most disappointing anime for me would be... i can't think of one off the top of my head... lemme think a sec... er, nothing

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I guss I would say Yu-Gi-Oh. The very first episodes shown were great, but as the show progressed, the animation got worse. Then it got to where all they talked about was destiny/fate, and it just got boring. I don't hate it because the first episodes (2nd series) were good. The manga was also much better. I was dissapointed with the anime, though. :(

[quote name='marking time']Its Just my Opinion too. no hard feelings. I Personally like the last two episodes others may not. It was my bad to go off like that.[/quote]

It's OK. I was just being sarcastic in that post. I just have a different (and common) opinion from yours and you saying it was "the climax of the series" seemed to null out the greatness of everything else the show had to offer and I was making an exaggerated claim to show how rediculous you sounded. I might have come off a bit mean, though. Sorry if that was so.

Biggest dissappointment? I hate to have tomatoes thrown at me by fangirls, but Gravitation. It had every single gay stereotype and cliché on the books, and I wanted to ask Shûichi where the hell his balls had gone off to, and Yuki...I was mad at him for being an insensitive bastard and basically beating on Shu.

Two guys in love are NOT LIKE THAT, people! Jeez! (But then again, I'm pretty jaded when it comes to the whole of the yaoi genre.) :animesigh

[color=#9933ff]Dragonboym2: Blegh G-Gundam could have been better, but it turned out really cheezy, almost Yu-Gi-Oh ish (I haven't given hope on it because someone told me the actual storyline un-dubbed is better. But that's also a biased opinion from that person).

EVA Unit 100: I concur with you on Wolf's Rain. I saw that it was made by the creators of Cowboy Bebop, and I thought I was going to be good, and I ended up saying "what the hell went wrong?" It was just... O_o;;; I mean, I can even argue most of the episodes were alright, but that ending was just so retarded.

Kawaii Seth: I resisted watching it at first, and a while ago, I was like "What? It's still on CN?" and then I did a little bit of digging and realized how friggin' long the thing is. It's not particularly exciting, either (I don't really know what the plot line is or what's going on - it's rather disorienting when you watch on and off). It's also really sad that CN is in season 4 out of SEVEN. v_v Or that there [b]are[/b] seven seasons. ><

Whatever the heck that Read or Die thing that was aired on CN around Halloween/Christmas (bah, I forget when it was) was disappointing.

Not that I had heard rave reviews about it or anything, but it just wasn't good, to me. I bet if I saw it subbed, it would be decent, maybe even good. I started zoning out after the first half hour because the dubbed voice of the main character was so [i]whiny[/i]. There's a big difference between high pitched (Jpns version), and WHINY (dubbed). I remember wanting to rip my hair out.

Incidentally, I swear to god that the American VA of that girl was the one with the photographic memory in that episode of FullMetal Alchemist.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie']EVA Unit 100: I concur with you on Wolf's Rain. I saw that it was made by the creators of Cowboy Bebop, and I thought I was going to be good...[/quote]
For something that really feels like it came from "the creators of Cowboy Bebop," try Samurai Champloo. Marketing Wolf's Rain as such is rather misleading, to say the least; the main creative talents behind Bebop had nothing to do with WR.

[quote]Incidentally, I swear to god that the American VA of that girl was the one with the photographic memory in that episode of FullMetal Alchemist.[/QUOTE]
Nah, FUNimation and Manga Ent. use different dubbing studios. But I agree that the characters are definitely very similar--I immediately thought of Yomiko when I saw the girl in FMA.

~Dagger~

Guest kyo_sohma_lover
wolf rain i didnt get the ending and every one was like reborn and i wasd strange i dont get things well oh and wich hunter robin she ened up dieing i think :animecry:

original post by sakura
[COLOR=Green]I]Well, I'm gonna say Trigun. I don't particularly ENJOY mangas about guns anyway, but everyone RAVED about it, and I was sorely dissapointed. I dunno, I only saw 3 episodes and read 2 chapters of the manga, maybe it gets better. Dunno, don't care. My boyfriend loves it, though, but he loves anything with violence. He's got that kinda psyco-evil thing goin' on lately...

Also, I think Chobits (One of my favorite mangas) is starting to get fairly repetative... But how much can you do in a world with humanoid computers and a super-genious-chobit? Alright, I revise that...

Later!
_Sakura_[[/COLOR]

Trigun!? TRIGUN!? Granted the manga wasn't as good as the show, the show was awesome. You need to see more than 2 episodes of it. Thats like only watching 3 minutes of FLCL and trying to give it a good review. ANY WAY, I think definitely Candidate for Goddess was one of the saddest anime experiences. IT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN ENDING!!! It started out good but what happened at the end?

[QUOTE=Dagger]Nah, FUNimation and Manga Ent. use different dubbing studios. But I agree that the characters are definitely very similar--I immediately thought of Yomiko when I saw the girl in FMA.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a parody of Yomiko. It would make sense; obviously they needed to put in a crapload of comedy into the episodes (I think it was like 9-18 or something) to get you through after the sad fate of Nina (which still makes me sad sometimes :animecry: ) and into the nightmareish state the show is going through now and from what I can tell will last a very long time (I've heard that episode 25 is actually more depressing than the Nina episode, if that is scientifically plausable).

[color=#9933ff]You could be right. I watched last night (today's?) episode of FMA, which has a brief appearance of that girl, and she sounds just like Yomiko. And she has glasses that look like her, and, of course, she loved to read. XD

Dagger: With samurai Champloo airing next month, on AS, I'll get to watch it. Yay! ^_^[/color]

I didn't like Dragon Ball Z that much. It seemed that like the fights lasted for 3-4 episodes and in my opinnion, it didn't have much of a storyline (or perhaps I didn't like the story too much). Also, I thought Blood : The Last Vampire was a major disappointment as well since the movie was too short and the main character didn't had much time for character development.