OtakuBoards

Anime Is Dying

Transmutation

As we've established anime is not dying.
You should feel lucky you have any anime on TV, in Australia we're very restricted on what we can view. Everyone here has to buy the DVD's to really watch it - and then we can't buy half as much as American's can. :animeangr (that anger is because we can't buy the stuff)

So now that little grumpiness is over....

There is plenty of wonderful anime out there and more is being made constantly. Of course some of it is rubbish - but only if you don't like that particularly style/story etc. The thing is, most anime needs to be bought, only a fraction is shown on TV even in the States. This is not a bad thing as it means more money for the studios to make more for us to see!

I also wanted to say Dagger you are far from alone! I, and most of my frieneds, actually prefer dubs to subs. Subs are good but they take concentration and I find I miss a lot of the animation because I'm too busy watching the words. So I go with the dub, accept that sometimes the meaning differs slightly to the original and take in the animation.

Guest Augurian
It's really a shame that here in the Netherlands, the anime that's on the TV are the US versions which have been dubbed for Dutch children here. But the silly thing is that people here wouldn't object to all the things which have been cut out for the people in the US. I would really like to see the original shows here... even if they're dubbed to Dutch.

[QUOTE=JenniKate]As we've established anime is not dying.
You should feel lucky you have any anime on TV, in Australia we're very restricted on what we can view. Everyone here has to buy the DVD's to really watch it - and then we can't buy half as much as American's can. :animeangr

So now that little grumpiness is over....

I also wanted to say Dagger you are far from alone! I, and most of my frieneds, actually prefer dubs to subs. Subs are good but they take concentration and I find I miss a lot of the animation because I'm too busy watching the words. So I go with the dub, accept that sometimes the meaning differs slightly to the original and take in the animation.[/QUOTE]

May I ask when this thread became a sub/dub debate? Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining too much but I thought that this was supposed to be on the status of anime.

anime is so popular right now compared to how it has ever been. I loved anime back in the late eighties and early nineties, but availabilty and cost made it unavailable to me, except for what i could see on tv, robotech and transformers and the like.

if you think anime is dieing, maybe your tastes are changing, because from what I see it is still going on quite strong.

only sad thing for me is I'm not living in the US anymore, and belgium has very little to offer in anime that isn't dubbed for the kids. (only problem there for me is the fact I don't speak dutch yet) (well and I do prefer subtitles, but that's another thread, lol)

so all you guys in the US, be happy for your choices, not everyone in the world is so lucky :p

though it's only human nature to want more than we already have, even if we have the world :animesigh

[quote name='kennet1977']May I ask when this thread became a sub/dub debate? Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining too much but I thought that this was supposed to be on the status of anime.[/quote]
A lot of people who posted earlier in the thread seemed to blame "dubbing companies" or "licensing companies" for what they perceived to be the poor state of anime, either on American television or in general. I sort of protested that, and one or two members responded to my comment.

Seeing how as JenniKate answered the original question, it's hardly fair (in my opinion) to imply that she ended up dragging the topic off on a tangent, or something to that effect. If the subject of subs vs. dubs came to dominate the entire discussion, then maybe a thread-split would be in order, but thus far that certainly hasn't happened.

~Dagger~

Guest Redfield
it's not that anime is dying....it's just that either

A)we get the short end of the stick,new anime comes out every week and Japan,the moment another series ends.Go to japan,you'll see several dozen anime in one day that you never knew exisisted till you saw it yourself

B)American dubbers destroy perfectly good anime and make it child friendly,which then completly destroys the anime,because scenes are cut out,the script is edited,and the editing job they do is horrible in some areas(covering a naked character with a poorly drawn bathing suit or a bush?come on now)

C)Voice actors in Japan show more feeling in the work they do,american dubber'd don't....

[QUOTE=Redfield]it's not that anime is dying....it's just that either

A)we get the short end of the stick,new anime comes out every week and Japan,the moment another series ends.Go to japan,you'll see several dozen anime in one day that you never knew exisisted till you saw it yourself

B)American dubbers destroy perfectly good anime and make it child friendly,which then completly destroys the anime,because scenes are cut out,the script is edited,and the editing job they do is horrible in some areas(covering a naked character with a poorly drawn bathing suit or a bush?come on now)

C)Voice actors in Japan show more feeling in the work they do,american dubber'd don't....[/QUOTE]

I don't quite agree with you on point C.
American dubbers can put just as much feeling in their work, if not more in some cases, then Japanese dubbers.
Also, There are Anime with crappy original vioce acting and a better American dub.

-Sanada

[quote name='malganis']ya but then we would have to go around are laws which is not easy to do and u know that i want new anime shows just as much as u do but the laws are killing us:animeangr[/quote][color=#503f86]malganis, please try and work on your post quality- this is incredibly hard to understand and incoherent, especially without full stops as divisions. Please use proper spelling (including typing words out in full) and grammar wherever possible. Not only does it make things nicer and easier to read, anything of too poor a quality will be deleted as spam, as per the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url].[/color]

Guest Magun
i agree almost all anime translated has been cut to make it worse omfg what has the world come to if they cut the good bits out of naruto ...........................[SIZE=4][COLOR=Red]I WILL KILL ALL OF THEM ALL WHO MUTILATE NARUTO WILL DIE WITH A GIANT LAZOR[/COLOR][/SIZE] :mad:

they should be ashamed of themselves its destroying the "art and culture" of anime
i dont mean to be blun but IT IS!!!!!!!

stupid americans!!!! no offence but they are the ones that sub them and cut them so sorry if i offended you but its the truth!!!!!

-------------------------------------
i think ive made my point

[COLOR=blue]I have to agree with Godel. I honestly have no clue nor any knowledge from which to extrapolate a conclusion from, but anime is not a perfect or enlightened form of entertainment. So, it's my opinion that when you have more of any form of entertainment, the percentage of quality entertainment remains constant. The more good shows you have, the much more bad ones you have.

Even if that's not the case (i.e., every anime is great), the anime series that are better than the others will create a standard that will make the others seem bad by comparison.

I think that made sense. O_o[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Magun]stupid americans!!!! no offence but they are the ones that sub them and cut them so sorry if i offended you but its the truth!!!!!
------------------------------------
i think ive made my point[/QUOTE]

I'm not offended, but people tend to forget that 99% of us Americans have absoutely no say what so ever in the sub or as to what is cut. Believe me you will find that most of us who love anime want to strangle them too. *sigh*

As for anime dying, well I'm old enough to remember how anime has gone from having a very small audience to having millions of fans. It's great to see that so many series are now coming to America. I also remember when what little anime seen on TV was nothing more than a few series that were majorly edited as well. Anime has grown exponentially here in America. We have gone from having only a few series available to having hundreds to choose from in the past 25 years.

[font=Verdana][size=2]I have to agree this year for anime did rock. Elfen Lied is easy one of my top 5 animes of all time (still need to see the 14th episode people are claiming came out) along with Bleech which was also an amazing series so far. Another would have to be Get Backers which got recently licensed and has an interesting plot that should get better when more DVD's come out. As for the shows being shown on TV, they are usually all mainstream anime and repeats of shows that have been shown numerous times on television. It seems that the companies don't seem to want to get away as much from the old stuff and instead stick with whats given them great ratings in the past. I feel I have no problem with this since everything in the world is about making the best marketing choices for a company, so why not what sticks best with them. Therefore, basically as of now I have only watched anime on TV during Saturdays and stick with getting the bulke of my anime from either d/l or buying DVD's.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]One thing i am waiting to see is the one anime series called Gnatz which caught my eye right away when i heard it was being licensed.[/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Magun]i agree almost all anime translated has been cut to make it worse omfg what has the world come to if they cut the good bits out of naruto ...........................[SIZE=4][COLOR=Red]I WILL KILL ALL OF THEM ALL WHO MUTILATE NARUTO WILL DIE WITH A GIANT LAZOR[/COLOR][/SIZE] :mad:

they should be ashamed of themselves its destroying the "art and culture" of anime
i dont mean to be blun but IT IS!!!!!!!

stupid americans!!!! no offence but they are the ones that sub them and cut them so sorry if i offended you but its the truth!!!!![/QUOTE]
Next time, please learn to spell before you start flaming an entire nation. :animesigh

On that note, your excessive smilies & long string of hypens were screwing up the alignment of the page, so I edited your reply to compensate for that. Honestly, your post is really pushing it in a number of regards--here at OB we try to encourage clear, coherent discussions, and so members are expected to adhere to the basic conventions of punctuation, grammar, etc.

It definitely helps if you're able to express your opinions calmly; making wild threats and using a ridiculous number of exclamation points won't exactly add weight to your argument. If you don't attempt to keep these things in mind, some of your future posts will almost certainly be deleted as spam.

EDIT: Oh, wait, this person is already banned. My bad. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]A lot of people who posted earlier in the thread seemed to blame "dubbing companies" or "licensing companies" for what they perceived to be the poor state of anime, either on American television or in general. I sort of protested that, and one or two members responded to my comment.

Seeing how as JenniKate answered the original question, it's hardly fair (in my opinion) to imply that she ended up dragging the topic off on a tangent, or something to that effect. If the subject of subs vs. dubs came to dominate the entire discussion, then maybe a thread-split would be in order, but thus far that certainly hasn't happened.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dagger for letting me know I wasn't trying to make it sound like I wasn't happy with what was posted. I am sorry if it seemed that way and sincerely didn't mean to imply that JenniKate was dragging the topic off on a tangent. Once again I would like to apologize if I ended up sounding like I was making any accusations.

Okay, first off to beat a dead horse even more. Anime is not dying, in actuality its thriving here. The only problem is that 4kids has been getting their hands on too many of the anime franchises and then they've been screwing the animes over royally with their evil dastardly editing, and I'm sorry their voice actors are below sub-par. I've watched a lot of Gundam and a majority was unedited. I haven't watched SEED except for the first five episodes and that's due to the fact that I'm getting the series on DVD and not relying on TOONAMI and plus I hate sitting through 10 minutes worth of commercials and only 5 minutes of show. But serioulsy, some series are better off being on DVD only, I mean Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta is out on DVD and its a good thing because Kill 'em all Tomino really has a rampage with killing people off and the last episode is pretty violent, so many horrible deaths. SEED has me wondering if Tomino didn't do some of the scripts, espeically with the way two characters die horribly!

But anyways, 4kids is the only company that should never do animes because they are getting too many for starters and then they butcher the stuff they have. Stuff done by ADV like RahXephon, Full Metal Panic, Evangelion are pretty good. That's all I have to say.