OtakuBoards

Are any out there any more???

Sea Of Chaos666

I was talking to some of my friends the other day and we met a guy who said he was a goth. Later that night I was thinking "He dosen't act goth.." I then called up my friend and asked her about it. Then we came to concluesions: There are no Goths around. Has anyone ever truly seen a goth around latley? Because I haven't!

Guest Alchemist
yea i see plenty all the time they are cool.

[color=#ff6600][size=1]Sepiroth, please put some more effort into your posts. This level of quality is unacceptable here. If you are going to post, please contribute something worthwhile to the conversation. -Lore[/size][/color]

[color=#B0251E]I don't get the whole stereotyping thing that American teens seem to do a lot. Who says that a "goth" needs to fit into a particular mould?

Isn't it okay just to wear the clothing style of your choice (whatever that might be) and still, you know, be an individual with your own behavior...rather than moulding it into some prescribed category?[/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I know plenty of people who, attitude wise, are more goth than anyone wearing ten pounds in chains around their legs. That isn't necessary.
But then again, what do you define as "goth"? are you talking about satanic devil worshipers or something?[/COLOR]

AH! no! groups are horrid to put people in. and there are so few "true goths" out there. if you go back to the victorian era and the first gothic era back in like, 1200, the style is quite different from the typical goth today. since gothicism involves the supernatural, some type of religion, and romanticism (among some other styles). an original goth is not really "moody" and "dark" and "depressed" or anything like that. goths are "plationic" in nature which is what the romanticism plays off of. gothicism was nearly a religion in and of itself. so, no, in the techinical term of a goth, there are so few left.

[quote name='zerolienna']AH! no! groups are horrid to put people in. and there are so few "true goths" out there. if you go back to the victorian era and the first gothic era back in like, 1200, the style is quite different from the typical goth today. since gothicism involves the supernatural, some type of religion, and romanticism (among some other styles). an original goth is not really "moody" and "dark" and "depressed" or anything like that. goths are "plationic" in nature which is what the romanticism plays off of. gothicism was nearly a religion in and of itself. so, no, in the techinical term of a goth, there are so few left.[/quote]

You got the whole Goth thing down cuz that's how most goths are. Some people Mistake Emo Goths for ture goth's, but goth's have a certian attitude to them. There are vary little Around where I live.

Goth is a label.
Labels are for soup cans.
Goths are soup cans!
Are YOU a soup can???

Seriosuly, trying to put someone in a precise group is just plain dumb. A lot of people don't fit any of them. Most people don't fit one completely.

In a related story, me, Ms. Bright and Happy Clothing, was sitting in Youth Group the other day. My bff was talking about stereotypes and the teens that "Wear baggy clothing and chains." And this other girl goes "You mean like Molly?" And I was just "ME?! I'm a goth? HA!" Sure, I was wearing black that day, but happy black! lol. People try to hard to fit me in a group. And wearing black isn't all there is to "goth." I'm so tired of teen stereotypes.

[quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1]I've seen people who [i]look to be[/i'] goths. Meaning the chain pants and all. I'm not exactly sure how a "true goth" would act though.[/SIZE][/quote]
[size=1][color=slategray]Chain pants??? I thought those were punks. *ponders for a moment* Most 'goths' wear black, and act depressed. Really, it is just a label.

I happen to be an American teen, and I happen to agree with James. I also realized something: someone should start changing the definitions of the labels. I mean, no one fits the descriptions anymore. I mean, a friend of mine: skater girl without a skateboard. But she doesn't ACT like a skatergirl. I don't fit a stereotype; I'm sometimes like a stupidly-silly-sweet person, but I am also very intelligent.

Seriously though: no one fits stereotypes anymore.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Mouse][size=1][color=slategray]I also realized something: someone should start changing the definitions of the labels. I mean, no one fits the descriptions anymore. I mean, a friend of mine: skater girl without a skateboard. But she doesn't ACT like a skatergirl. I don't fit a stereotype; I'm sometimes like a stupidly-silly-sweet person, but I am also very intelligent.

Seriously though: no one fits stereotypes anymore.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

There really is no reason to change them. They simply just should not be used. They're stereotypes for a reason, they embody the most extreme example and most people have [i]never[/i] fit neatly into them.

I don't label people, and i don't like anyone who labels or is judgemental about anyone else.

[quote]Most 'goths' wear black, and act depressed. Really, it is just a label.[/quote]
Lol, this is what most people [i]think[/i] goths are. I wear black clothes, i wear eyeliner.. believe it or not, i wear black nailpolish from time to time too! I aint a "goth".

[size=1][quote name='Mouse']I mean, a friend of mine: skater girl without a skateboard. But she doesn't ACT like a skatergirl.[/quote]So, if she doesn't actually skate, and doesn't 'act' how a skatergirl stereotype is supposed to act, then [b]what is it that makes her a skatergirl[/b]?

You're not making sense, lol.

As for stereotypes, particularly those of goths...meh. Sometimes America[nism] just blows me away. The sheer folly of thought exhibited by many American teenagers is worrying. America tends to exhibit some of the more extreme tendencies of the human race, and I think these stereotypes are a perfect example. In the race to push everyone into an easily understandable box [otherwise a useful tool in society] American teenagers have transformed themselves into mindless drones, acting out their alleged 'roles' in how they fit into their 'unique' teen sub-culture.

Amusingly enough, this doesn't apply to every single American teen, but is the common [b]stereotypical[/b] image of them. The irony![/size]

Guest Death Rose
Yeah we have some around here which is just me and my 5 friends the other one's are just emo goths. ( i can act happy around other people but that just cause i don't want poeple to ask me why im sad (i hate when poeple do that i mean come on just leave me alone i'll make it ok on my own) And you can' defind us by the pants and chains there are other thing to like music and what we like and don't like and some times style (im just wondering if you think ture goth is like the guys you see in the movies with that white crap on there face (You know what now that i think about it no ones a ture goth where just poeple can't you just leave us alone :sob sob: not j/k) Ok then i think i sould stop .bye

[quote name='Generic NPC #3]There really is no reason to change them. They simply just should not be used. They're stereotypes for a reason, they embody the most extreme example and most people have [i]never[/i'] fit neatly into them.[/quote]
[size=1][color=slategray]I understand that. I don't even know, truly, what the definition of any stereotype is - except mabe jock. xD But my point is, IF we are going to continue using stereotypes, we need to make them so it actually makes sense.

Meh, Baron, that's exactly what I meant. Everyone calls her skatergirl, but is she really?[/size][/color]

We have genuine goths in our small lovely town. In fact two gothic themed stores opened called Spellbound and The Annex both selling a variety of superstitious items related to witchcraft along with spellbooks and the likes along with items related to the worshipping of the devil so I would have to say that's as genuinely gothic as you could get

The idea of a typical "goth" is a pretty global stereotype. I don't know why people are continuously pinning it simply on American youth. There are just as many stereotypes in ever single area of the world, even if they happen to be different ones. The idea of a majority of American teens buying into these ideas unquestionably is an assumed stereotype itself.

[COLOR=#004a6f]Funny how the "Gothic" stereotype goes completely against what the Gothic period was about: Light!

Gothic Cathedrals were designed to let in as much light as possible with their beautiful stained-glass windows. Just because they have gargoyles "protecting" them, the term [I]gothic[/I] suddenly has to do with the darkness?

Therefore, I don't call people who dress in black, paint their faces white, and wear black lipstick, eyeshadow, and nail-polish "Goths". More like "anti-goths". Not all "anti-goths" act depressed and stuff, and some are pretty happy and jumpy and all those other giddy things, which makes me wonder, "Okay, why dress like that? What point are you trying to get across to me? You dress in a strange, intimidating, and (in my point of view) a frightening manner, yet at the same type, you don't want people labeling you? What is your purpose?"

My sister used to work downtown and she had to take the bus home late at night. While my sister was waiting at the bus stop, this creepy girl dressed in a long black robe with a hood (which she had up), walks (more like, "glides") past her, all the while, smiling in a creepy manner, without blinking. And then a few minutes later she would "glide" past her again, that creepy smile still pasted on her face. Did I mention she had her face painted ghost-white, creepy makeup included?

Honestly, what point are these freaks, yes, FREAKS, trying to get across? Stop wasting your life and do something productive for once.[/COLOR]

[size=1][quote name='Generic']The idea of a typical "goth" is a pretty global stereotype. I don't know why people are continuously pinning it simply on American youth. There are just as many stereotypes in ever single area of the world, even if they happen to be different ones. The idea of a majority of American teens buying into these ideas unquestionably is an assumed stereotype itself.[/quote] Yeah, but I'd wager that the whole 'goth' stereotype probably started in America. And spread. As things from America usually do. I admitted in my post that the stereotypical American kid was a stereotype in itself, but I stand by the fact that [stereotypically] Americans take it to the extremes, full on discriminating against people not in their own special, tiny niche.[/size]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']Honestly, what point are these freaks, yes, FREAKS, trying to get across? Stop wasting your life and do something productive for once.[/COLOR][/quote]

For current purposes, being "Goth" is pretty much a form of dress.

How can you automatically assume some one is a "FREAK" and "wasting their life", just because they enjoy wearing heavy eye-makeup and fancy dresses/boots/cloaks/whatever at the same time?
It sounds like a comment sprung from fear, if you ask me.

Most people who're into the whole "Goth" get-up just seem enjoy the attention it wins them. It can also be a very chic, elegant look, if done right; some of the dresses I've seen both Goth guys [i]and[/i] ladies wearing are simply [i]gorgeous[/i].

Often, the look is accompanied by an angsty, irritating attitude, especially among teenagers, but just a while ago, my mother and I were given directions by a very charming couple with [dyed-]black hair, clothing, and boots when we were not sure where the entrance to this one subway station was.

[color=crimson]I mainly see pseudo-thugs and preps around here. It must not be dreary or sad enough to spawn emo-kids and goths. I'm not really sure who would want to be any of those stereotypes entirely- each of them is irritating or silly in their own right.

I'm not really sure how America [or our evil cultural blight that is coming to eat your countries' crappy culture] got involved in this, haha. I guess people in other places on this Earth aren't taking as many drugs as everyone around here seems to be.

Oh well.[/color]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]
Honestly, what point are these freaks, yes, FREAKS, trying to get across? Stop wasting your life and do something productive for once.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I take that kinda as afensive....I had a friend (Who is dead now from Cancer..) Who was goth, and she was one of my best friends. Then again I geuss that's your opinion. But, after that I have not seen anyone who to me could lable them selfs as a goth. I also wear all black, almost all the time But hey! I ain't goth.

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]So, if she doesn't actually skate, and doesn't 'act' how a skatergirl stereotype is supposed to act, then [b]what is it that makes her a skatergirl[/b]?

You're not making sense, lol.

As for stereotypes, particularly those of goths...meh. Sometimes America[nism] just blows me away. The sheer folly of thought exhibited by many American teenagers is worrying. America tends to exhibit some of the more extreme tendencies of the human race, and I think these stereotypes are a perfect example. In the race to push everyone into an easily understandable box [otherwise a useful tool in society] American teenagers have transformed themselves into mindless drones, acting out their alleged 'roles' in how they fit into their 'unique' teen sub-culture.

Amusingly enough, this doesn't apply to every single American teen, but is the common [b]stereotypical[/b] image [/size][/QUOTE]

Who says only American Teens have stereotypes? I mean seriously, there are different kinds of stereoptypes all around the world, its not just America. It's not just teenagers either, Adults judge as well. Stereotypes will always be around, but yea I choose not to label people. I know plenty of gothic people and for me that just means all they wear is black. Thats all Gothic really is, just because your gothic, doesn't mean you have to whorship the devil. I hate how people assume that, that isnt what a "True" goth is. There is no such thing as a "True" goth. Nothing is wrong with being Gothic either.

[size=1][color=slategray]Funny thing is, people who dress up in the whole black and chains thing and call themselves Goths, aren't. As people before me have said, people are taking the name and using it for a type of fashion. There is so much more to it than the way you dress. But, honestly, you shouldn't wear certain things to win you a title. Because, if you do that, [I]you are just like everyone else[/I]. You are not unique if you do this, and I think people should go out there and make up their own style to fit themselves, not go into HotTopic and get a few things and say, "Oh, now I'm Punk/Goth."

Actually, the real Goths are probably people who wouldn't even call themselves Gothic. They don't care about titles, and they shouldn't. People say that being "Gothic" is all about the clunky boots and "piss-off" attitude, but, that is just an empty shell stereotype.
Goths were actually known for their love for art. Normally seen jotting down some poem, or sketching something. True, they normally moved toward darker clothing, but they were also known for wearing quite a bit of white too, and other asortments of colors. And they apprieciated nature and the night, sometimes being in the religion known as Wicca or other forms of this religion. And I'm sure all of their attitudes varied. There was also a great apprietiation for music, of all types I'm sure. I think what was favored was a mix between rock/metal and yes, [B]classical music[/B].
But, when people saw the clothes and music, you can see why that would so quickly speed up into an empty stereotype. It was different, new, cool to a lot of people. But now, basically no one that wears that stuff evens knows what a "Goth" is. So, now it's not different, and it's depressing to see people think they are so cool, strutting around in that stuff... especially when they have no clue how this "culture", if you can call it that, was in the past. Sure does make me sad.

And that is my point...>>[/color][/size]