OtakuBoards

Anime sexism

Synical

Hee hee...yaoi :D :animeshy:

Anyways, on the topic of Anime being sexist, there are definately examples out there. One fo my favorite animes is [i]Slayers[/i], and it's really not sexist (unless you count Lina's constant complaints about being flat-chested as sexist). The main character, Lina Inverse, is a strong willed female, who doesn't take guff from anyone. Not all Anime is sexist, but there some that are, unfortunately. It's been said before, it all depends on the audience you are catering for.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...There are alot of animes out there and there are alot of different age groups that watch. Like some said certain animes are catered to certain viewers. Thats hardly a reason to say that animes are sexist. I'm not gay or anything but there are alot of animes out there that also have nice looking guys in them as well. Wearing bikinis or walking around with their shirt open and things of that nature, but you don't see us men complaining about it.

I just think there is somewhat of a balance of skin that is shown in animes. So there may be just a little bit more animes with busty women but those women don't any crap from any of the males in the anime. So its not like the women are helpless while they are flaunting their bodies. As far as video games go...their breasts aren't as big as some think. I mean to me they look like they're a decent size for the woman. I guess some say they are too big because they jiggle too much for some's taste. Mangas on the other hand are just animes in books so they would have to kinda go with what the anime has...right? Just my thought on it.

[quote name='ForgottenRaider']Is there a problem with limited sexism? In anime or the world.[/quote]

Come again? I'm sorry, but you seem to be questioning whether or not sexism is, in fact, [b]bad.[/b]

So, to answer your question, yes! there is. There is a problem with any amount of sexism, anywhere, at any time, for any reason.

[quote name='ForgottenRaider']Is there a problem with limited sexism? In anime or the world.[/quote]
Imagine not getting the job you want even though you're the best at it, because of discrimination.
Imagine not being paid how much you deserve, because of discrimination.
Imagine being beat up when you're nothing but friendly, because of discrimination.
Imagine people expecting certain things from you, because of discrimination.

Racism, Sexism, Age-ism, and any sort of discrimination is wrong, hurtful and morally injust.

Even if you haven't been discriminated against, try to have sympathy for those that have.
Not all women want to grow up to be home makers, and men shouldn't be expected to be "macho".

Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada
even if I am Canadian.

Ok, ignore that last paragraph (it's about racism), but yes, sexism is bad.

-ArV

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]Come again? I'm sorry, but you seem to be questioning whether or not sexism is, in fact, [b]bad.[/b]

So, to answer your question, yes! there is. There is a problem with any amount of sexism, anywhere, at any time, for any reason.[/QUOTE]
Well yes, I guess that is what I am questioning. I just stopped to think about it when I read the first post and was thinking what would happen if it didn't exist. And thinking about it in more detail I do not think I would like to live in a world with out it. Rejection and watching abuse in these forms seems to compele people to improve themselves, I like many people have been descriminated against and it has made me a better person - through the want to be better. The idea that this sort of thing is bad suggests that every one is/should be equal to start with and I seem to think that would be very boring.

It could just be a strange tangent that I've gone onto here. Though even watching sexism in anime, for example, compeles the (fe)male(s) watching to want to do some thing about it. Either be better than the portayed character or rise up against it.

I know saying a 'limited amount' in my first post suggests I know the thin line that shouldn't be crossed in this suggestion but I don't know it. Just a thought. :animeknow

[QUOTE=ForgottenRaider]Well yes, I guess that is what I am questioning. I just stopped to think about it when I read the first post and was thinking what would happen if it didn't exist. And thinking about it in more detail I do not think I would like to live in a world with out it. Rejection and watching abuse in these forms seems to compele people to improve themselves, I like many people have been descriminated against and it has made me a better person - through the want to be better. The idea that this sort of thing is bad suggests that every one is/should be equal to start with and I seem to think that would be very boring.

It could just be a strange tangent that I've gone onto here. Though even watching sexism in anime, for example, compeles the (fe)male(s) watching to want to do some thing about it. Either be better than the portayed character or rise up against it.

I know saying a 'limited amount' in my first post suggests I know the thin line that shouldn't be crossed in this suggestion but I don't know it. Just a thought. :animeknow[/QUOTE][b][color=darkgreen][/color][/b]
[b][color=darkgreen]Um...wow... that's one of the stupidest things that I've ever heard... not to sound like a jerk or anything... but really...[/color][/b]

[b][color=#006400][/color][/b]
[b][color=#006400]You seriously believe that sexism should exist in order to give women a reason to stand up against sexism?[/color][/b]

[b][color=#006400]Ok... so should we perpetuate racism so that minorities will do something about the way they are racially profiled? Or about the fact that they are denied the rights that every other citizen takes for granted?[/color][/b]

[b][color=#006400]"Limited amount", huh? lol -- Like what, exactly-- "You are second class to men" as opposed to "You are second-class to men and you have to look good accepting that fact"?[/color][/b]

[b][color=#006400]There should be no place for any kind of discrimination. Period.[/color][/b]

[quote name='ForgottenRaider']No further arguement.[/quote]
[b][color=darkgreen]I wasn't trying to shut down discussion, FR-- it just struck me as unbelieveable that anyone would defend sexism as being something "good" for the people who have been discriminated against.:animeswea [/color][/b]

[COLOR=blue]Dirt, why are you so darn rude? I don't see what the big problem was that you had to call ForgottenRider's post stupid.

To clarify what ForgottenRider was saying, he was going off on a philosophical tangent, explaining how adversity and inequality are the driving forces for a person to improve him/herself. If there is none of that, then a person tends to not care about self-improvement. That's why the cultural adaptation vs. evolutionary adaptation is still an ongoing debate.

While I certainly disagree with FR, I don't think it's a stupid argument.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][color=blue]Dirt, why are you so darn rude? I don't see what the big problem was that you had to call ForgottenRider's post stupid.

To clarify what ForgottenRider was saying, he was going off on a philosophical tangent, explaining how adversity and inequality are the driving forces for a person to improve him/herself. If there is none of that, then a person tends to not care about self-improvement. That's why the cultural adaptation vs. evolutionary adaptation is still an ongoing debate.

While I certainly disagree with FR, I don't think it's a stupid argument.[/color][/QUOTE]
[b]Wow... maybe I'm rude, too, because I was actually pleased that a male would realise what a..."stupid" thing that was to say. *flinches*[/b]

[b]Even if it's a debate at present, it doesn't automatically make it an intelligent debate.[/b]

[b]As a female, (yes, everyone, I AM female :animesigh lol ) I find it rather offensive for someone to say that I wouldn't bother to improve myself without the pressure of adversity to reconcile.[/b]

[b]And the way that it was put was that we should keep sexism alive so that we, as women, have something of a fire under our a**es to become something more than a weak-minded, boy-crazy, dependant housewife or something.[/b]

[b]It's not the sexism that makes us work hard to achieve-- women were always capable of doing that. Sexism is just an unnecessary damned obstacle that we run up against.[/b]

[b]If someone were to put a stone wall in your path, for instance-- sure, you'd have to work harder to be able to get over the wall. But that doesn't mean that the wall is necessary for you to have been on the path to begin with. You wouldn't say "Hey, look...someone put a wall in that path over there-- now I finally have the willpower and determination to take that path.[/b]

[b]Sexism doesn't help us. It hinders us. And I don't see how anyone can argue with that.[/b]

[quote name='elfpirate][b']Wow... maybe I'm rude, too, because I was actually pleased that a male would realise what a..."stupid" thing that was to say. *flinches*[/b][/quote][COLOR=blue]You have always been rude (among other things), and I find it increasingly annoying when I see one of your posts, but this time I'm going to say something.
[QUOTE][b]Even if it's a debate at present, it doesn't automatically make it an intelligent debate.[/b][/QUOTE] Well, certainly, everytime you post, that becomes more true.
[QUOTE][b]As a female, (yes, everyone, I AM female :animesigh lol ) I find it rather offensive for someone to say that I wouldn't bother to improve myself without the pressure of adversity to reconcile.[/b][/QUOTE] Congratulations, you are a female. You want me to throw confetti for you? Do you want more respect for being one? I'm sorry, but as someone who cares not for discrimination, your gender isn't going to make your opinion any more valid in my eyes. No double standards please.

Why did you bother to post just now? Why didn't you post earlier? I'll answer for you: because no one was disagreeing that sexism is bad - it was just implied. So you did nothing. Since it was just implied, [B]unchallenged[/B], you had no will to post. However, given the challenge, you now rose and posted.

The same can be said of all people. If you don't challenge them, they will sit idly by, wasting away.
[QUOTE][b]And the way that it was put was that we should keep sexism alive so that we, as women, have something of a fire under our a**es to become something more than a weak-minded, boy-crazy, dependant housewife or something.[/b][/QUOTE] So he voiced his opinion a bit strongly. That doesn't mean the meaning he was trying to convey was stupid. I'll agree that he said it without being politically correct. But seriously, I find all this politically correct garbage to be a waste of time, although with people like you around, it's a necessity.

And for the record, he did refer to both genders, not just females.
[QUOTE][b]If someone were to put a stone wall in your path, for instance-- sure, you'd have to work harder to be able to get over the wall. But that doesn't mean that the wall is necessary for you to have been on the path to begin with. You wouldn't say "Hey, look...someone put a wall in that path over there-- now I finally have the willpower and determination to take that path.[/b][/QUOTE]That analogy has absolutely no relevance to the topic at hand. It would work better if you could support your argument using why the person was travelling in the road in the first place. A stone wall would not be the cause for travelling. Tell me, elfpirate, do you wander around aimlessly, or do you go from point A to point B with a purpose in mind?
[QUOTE][b]Sexism doesn't help us. It hinders us. And I don't see how anyone can argue with that.[/b][/QUOTE]That's to be expected. If you don't know what you are arguing for or against, it does make it hard to understand the opposing side. Enjoy your dihydrogen oxide or whatever.[/COLOR]

I would just like to note two things. I have little time for political correctness and I am against sexism - at least while it exists. As I said in my last few posts I can personally see a need for it to exist though, and I have pointed out why I think this, but I do not know the extent that it should.

Thank you for the defence AzureWolf and for pointing out that I was just going out onto a tangent. Though I would like to, going against my last statement saying I wouldn't, add another question - and I'm sorry if it is my fault that this might go off topic. This time directed at elfpirate, just to help you or others to at least see this side of the coin - I am not asking you to agree.

I am interested in your wall idea - which I agree with. This can be extended back to portrayal in Anime and other areas of life assuming the wall is the act in question.

If some one puts a wall in your path instead of it just being an easy road, then to over come that wall would you not have, for one, the ability to know you can push yourself harder to find your abilities in scaling the wall and have the skill of climbing the wall for the next challenge that comes along?

Azurewolf was mad at Dirt for being rude and calling Rider's post stupid, and then continued to critque elfpirate's entire post with quite rude comments *confused*

anyway, I don't really think sexism is needed, or it helps to advance our society in any kind of way, I just don't like judgement, sexual or not, I don't believe its right to judge a person on anything other then the person themselves, man or women, its easy to designate between the two (hopefully), what really matters is what they think, their POV, and thinking of someone as less of as person just because they're the opposite sex of yourself, is just stupid

[QUOTE=x kakashi x]Azurewolf was mad at Dirt for being rude and calling Rider's post stupid, and then continued to critque elfpirate's entire post with quite rude comments *confused*

anyway, I don't really think sexism is needed, or it helps to advance our society in any kind of way, I just don't like judgement, sexual or not, I don't believe its right to judge a person on anything other then the person themselves, man or women, its easy to designate between the two (hopefully), what really matters is what they think, their POV, and thinking of someone as less of as person just because they're the opposite sex of yourself, is just stupid[/QUOTE]

I agree that sexism isn't needed to help advance our society, yet at the same time I can see why [COLOR=DarkRed]ForgottenRaider asked [/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]Is there a problem with limited sexism? In anime or the world.[/COLOR] Although this is a bit of a tangent, most christian societies that I am familiar with teach you as a child that adversity and challanges are how we grow and improve ourselves. I may not agree with it, but I know alot of us grew up being taught that we were suspose to have adversity and challanges. So I can definately see why one would think a certain amount of sexism or other form of discrimination is normal. I wish that weren't that case though as I find sexism very annoying. :animesigh

[quote name='Synical']Do you realise, that anime/manga mainly have women with boobs bigger than thier heads wearing skimpy bikinis (eg: love hina) or tight costumes? but you never see many blokes like that. Women are portraid in a slutty way, which is not how some live their lifestyle. If anyone disagrees with me, please say so.[/quote]

Just getting back to the original question (I hadn't really formed an answer before now!)

I'd agree with many that the style of animating girls as posted by Synical is not typical of all anime/manga - and while it may seem 'sexist' to some I feel that in most cases it's not designed to be.

As for the portrayal of characters, to me, each anime portrays a character in the most suited style aimed at the viewers they expect to watch it.

I enjoy anime that has the male as strong, dark, handsome and the protector of women - yes this is a stereotype but it doesn't make it wrong that I like it. Other people may think this portrayal of a male is wrong as not all man have to be strong and handsome and protecting to be good.

I think in the same way some anime are designed with girls that look or act a certain way to fit a stereotype that will attract certain viewers.

SunfallE makes a good point, I guess discrimination does have some kind of purpose, but is it really worth it? people overcome adversity, but at what cost? No offense to the African Americans of this forum, but everytime I see a black person, getting in trouble, or being blamed for something, whether he did it or not, he brings up slavery, and his ancestors hundreds of years ago. I mean c'mon, you weren't a slave, you weren't tortured, and I never tortured you. I get the blunt of your anger because people of my color enslaved your's hundreds of years ago.

I don't really think discrimination is worth the flak created by the subject.

What you bring up is double standards.You can find them pretty much anywhere,even(getting back to the subect)in anime. People complain about how sexist love anime is, but nobody brings up this fact: in Evangelion, while the women do provide fan service, you musn't forget that in that anime only women held authority positions, except for, of course the villains. Even Shinji is placed in a position where he is the stupidest and least tallented of group, who only is victorious in battle do to flukes or tragedies. You see what I mean? You are only looking at half of the picture. But , I'd have to agree that sex does sell,and in order for an anime to be a success, it needs fans, right? Aesthetically pleasing figures are a lot more likely to get an audience. Sure, a lot of it it is unnecessary, but some of it isn't.

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]I find it more offensive when properly-proportioned female characters are portrayed as having an inexplicable obsession with housework.

Tsunade has a formidable bust, but she's hardly a push-over. That's the distinction most people seem so unable to make: low-cut does not equal dis-empowering. In fact, the situation is frequently quite the opposite.
After all, Haruko is able to keep a household full of men at her beck and call while wandering about in an entire array of questionable outfits.[/QUOTE]

You have a point. The "housewife" sterotype is somewhat more sexist than a girl with a big rack and no brains. However, there are a lot of women in anime who are physically, mentally, or emotionally strong. (The girls of FMA are prime examples of this...and also don't underestimate the love interests of shônen heroes!)

hah, I never really thought of DBZ as a sexist anime, but I guess you could think of it that way if you look at Bulma. However, it does have females like 18, who are smart, witty, etc. As for Yu-Gi-Oh, I completely agree. Females are more or less useless in context to the show. The only women chracter that is mildly intriguing is Mai, and I kind of lost interest when the new season began and the voice actress had changed. The rest of the girls are well, boring.

[QUOTE=ladyarianrod]Here is a short list of some of the DBZ girls though-- with comments:

//snip//

Lunch/Kushami- Servile woman by day; vicious robber by night. She is a funny character, but she too is ogled by Roshi. Even though he's afraid of her 'evil side', she usually remains in her 50's houswife garb throughout the novel.
[/QUOTE]

Since when was she in Dragonball Z? She seemed to disappear after Dragon Ball. XD

Also have to remember that Japan itself is a sexist, chauvinistic country. Only recently have things been changing. Traditionally, men practically owned women like property and women are only meant to be "good wives".

Things [b]are[/b] starting to change, I hear, only very, very slowly.

-ArV