OtakuBoards

G4: waste or worth it?

Dragonboym2

I think there is quite a lot of negativity over the G4/ Tech TV merger. . .I can understand a little negativity about it, but I personally think people take it too far. I've been around with this channel since its days as just ZD TV, and then I was there when it became Tech TV. I've been watching it a long time. Although I scarcely watch TV, this is usually the channel I watch.

I will agree "Attack of the Show" isn't as good as "The Screensavers" with Pat and Leo was. I miss Pat and Leo, they made that show good. Anyway, "Attack of the Show" is still good from what I've seen.

Although a lot of the shows on G4 Tech TV aren't the greatest, there is still a lot of good stuff to watch to make up for this. I think we can all agree that Icons is a great show. I think X Play is also a great show. Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb make an excellent review crew, and their antics throughout the show make it worth watching. I remember when Morgan Webb first joined the show as co-host. It took her a while to warm to me, but now she is an integral part of the show.

I really enjoy Judgement Day/ Electric Playground. Both are good shows. So what if one guy seems like a hipster and the other like a raging egotist? It's interesting to see them react with one another, and it's nice to hear some good info on games.

Cinematech is pretty awesome as well. I like how they sometimes show some really old game trailers. . .it's interesting. It's just very artsy and visually stimulating, and I like that.

I can pass on G4TV.com, I never really got too much into that show.

Anyway, I think this channel is good. It's bad that a lot of good Tech TV shows were canned. . .but I suppose it can't be helped. Some sacrifices had to be made to do this channel. And even so, it's just nice to have a game dedicated to video games. . .it really shows how large of an industry they are becoming. This is the golden age of video games, or close to it, and there's a lot of money in it now. . .Anyway, I think you guys are too critical of this channel. It's not the best thing you'll ever see, but it's got some great shows and has some great moments that make it worth it. It can only go up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G4 is trash.The only good shows that they have are Icons, Filter, and Anime Unleashed. The rest of them are dumb shows divided between shows aimed at the average "hip" teen (which aren't the type of people that would watch a videogame channel anyways) sporting celebrity appearances and cute women (not that cute women are a bad thing), and shows with bad humor, interviews with boring people that nobody is going to care about, and bad reviews. Even X-Play, one of my old favorites, has gone straight to hell. Adam Sessler keeps it from turning into Judgement Day with Morgan Webb's rack, but without the ingenious review writers, its just not as funny as it used be.

Not even their forums are worth hanging around on anymore, what with the overly-tight rules and censorship. It used to be my internet hang out, but I left on account of stupid rules The strictest mods have been de-modded, but I know that they were just scapegoats. The problems lie with the administrators that make the rules. They're the ones that tell the mods to lock anything that critisizes G4, regardless of how well thought out or valid their points may be, or how well it was presented. And their also the ones always laying down new rules and making the place less fun.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]I missed out on alot of G4 lately because whenever I want to watch it, my dormates have the TV. They are always watching "the game" no matter which one it is. Baseball, football, anything with the word "Ball" in it. Not to mention the NOISE. They are to damn loud, and I can hear them from my room. Epspecially Bellany. Her voice can shatter an armored tank. I only got to watch G4 ONCE in the last few months. It was "G4TV" and it was a good epidsode, Laura, Tina, and Geoff were talking about the new PSP and "Devil May Cry 3". They said it was too hard. People said the same about "Jak II", and I beat that game. Laura said she wasn't a fan of DMC. What? Say it ain't so Laura. He's DANTE! He kicks ***!
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[Font=Garamond] [Color=Red]G4techTv is, for me, a mixed bag. X- play has gone to hell & a handbasket, we now have a complete rehash of Screensavers, and some of the most goddawful writing ever to grace television[Filter]. I've had to suffer through the displeasure of such shows like Cinematech & Cheat![Though the latter has been getting better, due to Cory's removal.] Atleast shows like Judgement Day & Electric Playground, which while similiar, are reasonably entertaining.

Even my once beloved X Play has been getting worse, & worse. Take their Shining Tears Review, for example - I outright dismissed their opininion. Honestly, when you're a show that reviews games, do you think it's smart to say a game's as bad as Filter's screenwriters, and not have any reasons to back it up? That's like answering my question with a, 'Well, it's bad'. I mean, after about 16 jokes said, with the message being, 'Yep, it's that bad.' You'd think everyone would get it. I'd just [I][B]love[/I][/B] to know what makes it bad..

Thankfully for me, they have programs such as 'Icons' & 'Anime Unleashed', which is far better than having to suffer through the horror that was 'Unscrewed'. Alas, I only watch about 6 shows of G4techtvs lineup, which is, frankly, quite sad. [/Font] [/Color]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]Next week is E3. I've heard lots of good things about htis year's E3, such as the PS3, and the XBOX 360. G4 had a contest to send in a tape to be a speical guest reporter with them at E3. I didn't have time to get a tape done. Well, there's next year.
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

Like most of the people posting here, I have my share of shows from G4TechTV that I watch (X-Play, Attack of the Show, Icons, G4TechTV) or can't watch anymore (Unscrewed). We have to take to consideration that shows come and go. It's a part of reality. We may not like the newcoming shows that pop up in G4TechTV but there will be people who love these shows. For example, I personally hate the Whip Set and Formula D Racing but I know that there's someone who's in love with it and can't get enough of it. So as a result, there's no solid answer as to whether G4TechTV is a waste or not. Some will still find a show that caters to what they want while others will walk away because the show (or shows) that appealed to them kicked the bucket.

[Font=Garamond] [COlor=red] Frankly, I feel there [i]is[/i] a solid answer regarding whether it is worth it or not. It depends on the persons range of taste, & tolerance for the said shows. And, I'm speaking in regards to this occasion - Mainly because given the broad range that people have, it's fundamentally impossible to come up with a definite answer for all. But, in this case, there is one. Granted, it all depends on a person's tastes, as I've stated repeatedly. That of which I'm not entirely sure of.

And, well, my views on the shows were posted a little while back, eh. [/Color] [/Font]

Let me rephrase what I said earlier. I meant there was no solid answer for the people as a whole due to the different levels of tolerance and taste (as you just mentioned). I never meant that there was no solid answer for each individual. My apologies. :animeswea

[COLOR=Blue]G4 just started it's coverage of E3. All I've seen so far was just a few people sitting around talking about new systems. The XBOX 360, Nintendo Revolution, GB Micro, and the PS3. They all look pretty good, and I'm looking forward to getting a PS3, but the GB Micro? Looks like I'd break the thing. Tina Wood was invited on stage to demonstrate "Nintendogs." And she did very well, but the other guys dog mounted hers. By accident? I think not. That was WRONG.

And now, the worst thing ever. G4 has had this thing going on the Tina and Morgan hate eachother. I've heard rumors that Tina thinks Morgan is a stuck up egomaniac, and Morgan thinks Tina is a spoiled brat. Regaurdless, they made this awful, awful, AWFUl bit where Tina and Morgan face-off in a race for the promotion of "Juiced." I hated it. (It burns. It burns.) It wasn't funny at all. It was just bad. SNL bad. Neither of them can act either. Carlito Carribian Cool is a better actor than them, and he's terrbile. I hope G4 never does that again. Has anyone seen it?
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

Their E3 coverage has been disappointing. I don't know why they didn't cover the press conferences directly. Tech TV used to air them as they happened live. What excuse does G4TV have? The fact that they didn't get to it till today is a let down.

A lot of what they have shown has been heavily edited too. Full trailers have been cut down pretty dramatically. The MGS4 video is a good example. They cut out probably 75% of it, getting rid of all its humor (it's a really funny video, I suggest downloading it). Not to mention the fact that the video says at the end that this does not represent what the game will look like and that it is rendered on the PS2. G4TV made no attempt to clarify that at all for some reason.

It's okay if you don't have the internet... but since we all do, I don't know why anyone would bother lol.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]Once again, E3 looked good, and rocked out. I wanted to go, but couldn't. Did anyone go?

There are minutes when I think that X-Play tries a little too hard. Like they now got a cast of characters like Jonny Exsteme, the X-Play ninjas, etc. Sure they can be funny, but somtimes they can just try to hard. Like the "Tina vs. Morgan" bit. God, that was awful! To those of you who haven't seen it, don't. It's hazardous to your health, like "Bad Dudes" or "Jaws: The Revenge." Has anyone seen that "Tina Vs. Morgan" bit?
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

To me, the shows have potential, but sometimes they jsut come across as stupid. The only one I really watch is X-Play. Though they joke too much sometimes (though they can be hilarious!!), underneath it all is a very informative - though I've heard a bit biased - review. It tells you a lot about the game.

As for shows like Filter, Attack of the Show, and Cheat! I find annoying. It's like, they've got the content that we want, but the writing is so annoying. At least X-Play jokes around WHILE talking about the game. With these other shows, a lot of the time I want to say, "Just shut up and get to the tech stuff you loudmouths." Especially Attack of the Show. They've got some good stuff, but they waste so much time with their stupid comments that I honestly don't give a darn about.

Personally, I think it's worth it. Ever since TechTV got bought out, it's just about exclusively Video Games. Which, though many hate it and I feel sorry for this, is best for me, cause I don't care much about tech gadgets that make my mouth water but I'll never be able to buy. Same reason I hate window shopping. :animesigh

I have officially decided that g4 is a bad, horrible thing. You see, where I live g4 is on normal cable, so everyone can see it, which leads to a lot of non gamers seeing it and getting their facts confused. The worst part, though, is when I sit down at the nerd table and everyone starts talking about games, but everything they say is something they heard on Xplay! You can't judge a game by what Xplay says!

There is another reason I don't like it. They show insane amounts of spoilers and you can't avoid it. I am REALLY dissapointed with the fact that I am playing Final Fantasy 7 fully knowing that [spoiler]Aeris is going to die on the first disk[/spoiler] and I happen to be around 20 minutes short of when its going to happen, so when I get there the shock everyone else felt when they got there will be wasted on me. Thanks a lot Filter!

Somebody mentioned that Adam Sessler is an overactor as of late. Let me ask you something: how easy do you think it is to convincingly deliver a bad comedy script? Trying to look and sound funny and when you know that the jokes suck? A lesser man would have fallen flat on his face a long time ago. Adam Sessler is the only thing keeping X-Play from turning into Judgement Day: Morgan Webb's Boobs Edition.

Speaking of Morgan, has anyone noticed that her looks have gone downhill lately? I was never one of her drooling fanboys, but she looks like a vampire as of late, and an unhealthy vampire at that.

Speaking of Morgan, has anyone noticed that her looks have gone downhill lately? I was never one of her drooling fanboys, but she looks like a vampire as of late, and an unhealthy vampire at that.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]You sure? She looks just as nice as allways if you ask me. But, it would be kind of funny if she bit into Sessler's neck, and sucked him dry. LOL. :)
[COLOR=Blue]
Huh? That's odd. For some reason, the last two posts on this thread are gone. I never touched them however, and they were not inapropriate either. This is strange. Can anyone help me out?[/COLOR]

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Thatoneodddude, hello are you not paying attention they let you know when a spoiler will happen. Also if it is an old game like ff7 than they aren't going to let you know there is a spoiler. Why you ask, well it's because it's a really old game now so mostly everyone who wants to play, has played it already. So get over it and most likely your not much of a gamer yourself if you don't know these things so you can call your self one of those nerds you speak of.

This was a simple case of people out side of geek culture thinking they know what viewers want and how they can make more money off it. Unfortunately it is not rare for this to happen to any large scale entertainment targeted at the computer loving world. It seems the only things that survive are independent groups like redvsblue, pure pwnage, ctrl alt del and the like.

[COLOR=Blue]This is a true story. Get this: The other day on the G4TV boards, on their weekly topic board, the hosts of G4TV were going to talk about the "Batman Begins" game. Of course being a gamer, a comic fan, and a Batman fan, I put in my two cents on the game. A week later, on the day of the episode, I rediscovered my screen name's mail icon thingie. I clicked on it, and there was a message from one of the show's producers. He said he liked what I had to say, and wanted to know if I wanted to be a caller on the show. Me? On TV?! I get to call in and talk to Geoff, Tina, and Laura?! Of course I'd be happy to. So I sent in a reply. BUT...it was too late. I found this message one day AFTER they record the show. I watched anyway, but it was painful. That could've been me. This will not happen again though. From now on, I'm going to pay better attention. Well, at least someone likes my writing.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Why does X-PLAY bomb on anime based games? Well, okay not many of those games are that good, but it's odd. Why do good animes get bad games?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorry to say it but...Waste. I loved tech tv but g4 is a steaming pile on a hot day. it's not even G4tech TV anymore and there are only 2 remaining shows X-Play and Anime Unleashed (oh what do i mean i should say Gungrave that's all it is, is Gungrave reruns 24/7) 3 remaining people from TTV Sarah Morgan and Adam everyone else was either fired or left because they didn't like the direction G4 was goin and i don't blame em. the only show i watch is X-Play and after Adam said he, jokingly of course, left i just about quit watching it.and there old shows that used to be ok such as filter for example it used to be cool and fun but now it's mtv! it's all about the latest clothing and accesories, honestly if G4 vanished off the face of the earth i can't say I'd complain. Sorry.

Did anyone catch the episode when David Thorpe of SomethingAwful pwned Attack of the Show? That was good. The funny thing was, the guys at the forums kept saying "Get your torrents ready, guys!" and then Kevin says it before the commercial leading up to the interview. David calls him Kenneth and then Ken... it's just really funny. They even put up a site based around the interview. I'm not willing to make a link to it either.Go Google the interview, it's really funny if you visit SomethingAwful.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]G-Foria, a video game award show is being aired next week, even thought it's been over for a couple weeks. At first, I thought that one or two of the hosts will be hosting, but then I find out Wilmer Valdamira (Fez from "That '70's Show"), is hosting. I don't even think he's a gamer. That makes me sad. :(

As for psuedo celebrity, the hosts of G4 are hanging out with some big names. Diane Mitosta has done bit parts in tv and movies (She was Fook Mi in "Goldmember", and has a small role in an upcoming movie "Memoirs of a Geisa."), and Kristin Holt I heard has been on (Shudder) "American Idol." I hate reallity TV. But everyone else, they have cult following. I think it should stay that way for them. So Laura, Morgan, Tina, Geoff, etc, can mow their lawns, flip someone off in traffic, get wasted at a bar, go to the movies, and not worry about causing a riot, or the paparatiz disguising themselves as bushes, or leaping out of trees to snap photos of them.
What do you guys think?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

Its alright.....but it could do better (much better) The programming is ok, but things like the racing show with that crazy black guy? (what does Drifting have to do with gaming?)

Also, they could improve the shows by actually talking about the games (like X-Play does) No one wants to talk about cars, or PCs. People just want GAMES.

Cinematech is ok, but it needs to be turned into something else or just get rid of.

Thats my take on it. (its a great channel and everything, but, needs improvement)

I think G4 has quite a chance at really suceeding. Over the past year it has really evolved into a much more professional network. I do feel some of the shows suck *cough* Street Fury and that English battlebots show *cough* but x-play and g4-tv are really good. If only they focused less on crappy high-budget games and focused more on games that don't suck, I would love the channel. Also an increased focus on anime would be nice. Other then that they are heading in a good direction.