OtakuBoards

G4: waste or worth it?

Dragonboym2

I have a problem with Anime Unleashed since all they seem to play is GunGrave. It wouldn't be all that bad, but every time I decide to watch it, it's one of the same four episodes. They need to show some different stuff, and maybe show some anime during the day. They do really need to get rid of their car shows, no one turns on a video game channel to look at cars, seriously.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RiflesAtRecess, they only play one anime at a time on Anime Unleashed. Right now they are only showing Gungrave. Before that it was Read or Die and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. I think that they show the series several times before moving on. Since they show two episodes almost every night, the series goes by quickly, so it's not surprising that you keep seeing the same episodes. On Tuesday they're going to start showing the Last Exile.

I don't mind them keeping Street Fury and Formula D. Although I don't watch them, I know some people do. Just because it is no longer called G4TechTV doesn't mean they shouldn't have shows about technology.

Let's see...I like X-play. I dislike G4 though. I liked Techtv much better because well, I'm not so good with computers and I learned things from their help shows. Also back then Anime Unleashed played Crest of the Stars and Betterman and Last Exile. Not like now, as some of you pointed out. Now it only plays Gungrave. Must be trying to connect the whole video games to anime thing.

I've enjoyed X-play in all it's forms, like Extended Play and Gamespot. Adam= Funny even when dissing on games that I like. Morgan= Thank you so much that she likes rpgs. I was scared that they were going to drop X-play but they haven't, which is wonderful. If it wasn't for X-play and the hope of better anime I'd stop watching all together. I'm not expecting much from that awards show either, it will probably end up like the Spike TV ones. Ugh.

So to the point G4 didn't bring much to the table. I'm going to say it was a waste. Techtv was better before.

[quote name='Sage Kaley']I'm not expecting much from that awards show either, it will probably end up like the Spike TV ones. Ugh.[/quote]
G4's award show is slightly less commercial than SpikeTV's VGAs.

For example: While SpikeTV will announce the committee-selected winner of an award without so much as naming the other nominees (god, it felt like a massive pay-off fest), G4's winners are all fan-selected (they had a voting website up) and we know that there actually [i]were[/i] nominees.

[quote name='Dragonboym2'] but then I find out Wilmer Valdamira (Fez from "That '70's Show"), is hosting. I don't even think he's a gamer. That makes me sad.[/quote]
It's Valderrama. And you never know who is/isn't a gamer, these days. Is [i]Player$[/i] still on the air? Because that show could throw you a curve ball or two by showing you just how many celebrities play games.

Still, I think Hal Sparks and/or Aisha Tyler should've hosted. Admit it. You know they would rock.

I suppose I'm just scared from what I saw on Spike TV >_< I suppose though that I'll give it a shot. It would be interesting to see who wins what, though I wish I had known there was voting. Must not have heard that part during the X-play promos.

If the awards show turns out nice, it'd probably increase my liking of G4 too. A proper video games award show...sounds very nice.

I agree though with Hal Sparks as a host. I only know him from Queer as Folk and VH1 but he cracks me up.

[COLOR=Blue]Recently, G4TV didn't have anything that I was really interested in. Until recently. Next week, G4TV is talking about original games, one of which happens to be "Darkwatch." I was looking forward to this game for a long time, so I have much to say about it. I'm not sure if they are going to pick me this time, but I remain optomistic. I won't know for sure until next week. Wish me luck!

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

Man I saw gphoria and it was just total crap. Come on, Wilmer Vladeramma as host? Not only is he only funny as a foriegner, but from what I saw, he is definitely not a gamer. Also 99% of the guests' last played game was fricken Pac-Man. All the presenters were clueless like that too. Finallly, thier was way too many categories based off of sports games.

[COLOR=Blue]I was a little dissipointed with Gphoria myself. It just looked like to me that Hollywood is trying to milk gamer culture. They have basicly no idea what they are doing. Need I remind you that nearly every movie based on a game sucked?

The only people who were gamers on that show were the G4 hosts. Well, except for Hal Sparks, but you know what I mean.

And why did "Halo 2" win game of the year? I was expecting "God Of War", or "Resident Evil 4".

I'll also admit that there are a couple things that dissipointed me about G4TV. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great show, but there a few things they don't do anymore.
They don't do those one-minute sketches at the start of each show anymore.
They don't do host game challenges anymore. That's when they play for prizes for people online, and the loser gets a penelty. Such as, having a bucket of baked beans dumped on them, etc.
They don't do "home invasion" anymore either. Those were fun to watch. They would go to a persons house, and play for stuff. They'd put up something of theirs, and the player would as well. Laura would be going crazy going "Oh my God! You wear these!?" Or "Hey.. Look at what I found!" Etc.

Sad, huh?
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

GPhoria is voted for online by the fans. I was a little disappointed to see Halo 2 beat the likes of a game like Half-Life 2 or Resident Evil 4. However, that's G4's fanbase at work.

I did enjoy the Kratos/Oprah sketch. That was probably the highlight of the entire show. Oh, and Wilmer coming out attached to a katamari.

The sugar-glass bottles were a terrible gimmick, by the way.

[quote]GC sucks compared to the PS2 and XBOX[/quote]

It shouldn't matter what system it was on, Resident Evil 4 was far superior to any game this year. Halo 2 is good, but it is one of the most overrated games of all time. The weapon balance was off majorly, and spawn points and weapons mattered more then skill. It is just the fact that some many people bought the game due to hype.

Omg G4 is the best source too find out what games to buy and to see how people view them... Its always worth to watch information about the game before u play it because without the info u would be playing the crappiest game in a expensive price!

Well G4 isn't really the best source for game information. It certainly is a fun one sometimes but I find I like magazine sources better. OPM and EGM being my favs but ah well.

I don't think that I'd be buying crappy expensive games without G4 around ^^;; I think I'd be researching up coming games online or using magazines or something like that ^^

I'd miss X-Play though...(sighs) So let's hope that doesn't happen until X-Play comes out on DVD heh.

I am sad that at GPhoria some of the games that won...well it's not that they were awful just...not exactly what I would have thought would win. Ah well like Manic Webb said, that's the fanbase for ya. Still, I wasn't all pleased but what can you do? It's an awards show.

G4 has 4 great shows (X-Play, G4tv.com, Anime unleashed and AOTS), 2 okay ones ( FIlter and Judgement Day) and a bunch of crappy shows ( the whole whipset block, robot wars, Cheat, and pretty much any other show) Luckily they mostly show the good or great shows. I do, like everyone else, have to say the show was a huge disappointment. All the presenting guests obviously weren't gamers, Wilder Valderamma is a bad actor and was terrible as a host, The only good singer was the Bravery, and all the people who voted obviously knew nothing about games (when Halo wins anything aside from best FPS you know something is wrong, especially if it wins best soundtrack!). Next year get a guy who lives in his own basement to plan it, it will definitely be better then this year.

[quote name='Killer7']I do, like everyone else[/quote]
You obviously don't understand that not everyone thinks the way you do. In fact, most of your opinions on Gphoria were different from mine. It wasn't really a disappointment for me. How would you know if someone is a gamer or not? Do they walk differently or something? I actually thought that the Bravery messed up in their performance. I like the song, but the singer seemed to be losing his voice. Just because a lot of people like a game doesn't mean that they know nothing about games. Why don't you think that Halo 2 shouldn't have won best original soundtrack? The soundtrack fit perfectly with the game, and gave a more cinematic feel to it. The only award I don't think Halo 2 deserved was best boss battle. You weren't really fighting the Scarab, you were fighting the enemies onboard it. I didn't even consider it a boss battle. Not to mention that there are much tougher boss battles in the game, like the fight against Regret. That took me hours on Legendary difficulty. The Scarab battle took me less than ten minutes on Legendary. I enjoyed several of the sketches from the show, especially the Halo 2 online sketch with Papa Smuff (because it's sooo true).

[quote]You obviously don't understand that not everyone thinks the way you do.[/quote]

A forum like this is for expressing your opinion, and adding to a conversation, which I did. The skits were really funny though, even though the best ones took place in the pre and post shows, but whatever. By the way it did sound like he was losing his voice, but it was still better then the other 2 singers.

Taking away the whip set and barbed wire biscuit, that is basically every show. I used to like Cheat but they got rid of Cory Rouse for some reason, and Kristin Holt is just annoying (even though it probably is the writers fault). Basically if they can take away pretty much all thier shows not dealing with games, they will be good, aside from Anime unleashed of course.

[COLOR=Blue]This is very sad. G4TV has seemed to stop taking callers on their show, and I don't like the new tone they have took. Whatever happened to being a fun show? Why have they stopped taking callers? I feel that G4 has stopped caring about the fans these days. X-Play is still fun to watch, but G4TV was better in my opion because it gave the fans a voice. Now, it looks like that voice has been silenced. But I still am going to try to help get callers back on the show. Any one with me?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[quote]G4TV has seemed to stop taking callers on their show, and I don't like the new tone they have took.[/quote]

They do still take callers, they just haven't had any the past 2 weeks for some reason. I do agree with the change in style, I just started watching G4 again after about 1 year of not watching it, and this show and cheat are the only shows that have lost something. Cheat got rid of Cory Rouse, and got that anarexic girl who knows about as much about games as she does about Rocket science. G4 lost Scott Rubin and got that other guy who is about as dry as fried noodles (I know I am using alot of similes). Also they got rid of those cool little challenges at the end of the show.

[quote name='Killer7']They do still take callers, they just haven't had any the past 2 weeks for some reason. I do agree with the change in style, I just started watching G4 again after about 1 year of not watching it, and this show and cheat are the only shows that have lost something. Cheat got rid of Cory Rouse, and got that anarexic girl who knows about as much about games as she does about Rocket science. G4 lost Scott Rubin and got that other guy who is about as dry as fried noodles (I know I am using alot of similes). Also they got rid of those cool little challenges at the end of the show.[/quote]

[COLOR=Blue]Well I think your right in some cases. Kristin Holt has no idea what she is talking about. She's just on their because G4 is trying to get more noticed, so they got a girl from a reality show. I hate reality televison, I think it's uncreative.

I've watching for about a month, and no callers have been taken. I thought it was just because summer is slow for games, not many come out, and not many are that good. But they didn't take any callers during the episode where they talked about "Darkwatch" and "Geist." The show just isn't fun any more. But I do have theory. Recently they have been just talking to magazine publishers, creators, etc. And these guys aren't really people you can just talk to for two minutes and move on like callers. So they run out of time. But at least have the common curtosy to tell the people they picked as callers, that they will contact them next time.
What do you think?
Wait, never mind. They are just trying to do a new format. There will be callers, but not all of them will be veiwer reveiws.

WTF? "The Man Show" on G4?! I'm not kidding. They are going to start airing re-runs of "The Man Show" on G4 starting October tenth.
"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]