OtakuBoards

Lost

Manic Webb

Wow. If there's anything in the 'Music, Movies, & TV' forum dying faster than the movie threads, it's the TV threads that basically go ignored. "Lost" is currently one of the highest rated, most talked about, and most watched shows on television. If this thread doesn't go anywhere, then we're definitely in one heck of a slow season.

So who watches "Lost"? What do you think of the show? Got any theories on the mysterious island? Remember to use spoiler tags.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]
Well, I've been a fan of Lost since day one, it's an incredible show. It's one of the only shows on TV at the moment that I can be enthraleld by, and be completely wrapped up in.

[spoiler] Locke being wheelchair-bound prior to landing on the island was a twist I never saw coming, I like surprises alot.[/spoiler]

So far, I've really become interested in Locke's backstory, and his involvement with whatever's on the island. It's clear that Locke knows way more than he is letting on, I'm very interested to see how [spoiler] the secret hatch he and Boone have been sneaking off to [/spoiler] pans out.

And I'm waiting for whatever that monster thing is on the island to be revealed, [spoiler] is it just the polar bears? What connection, based on Micael's backstory (just aired in NZ), does his son have to do with it? after all, he was reading a polar bear comic before one attacked him, and polar bears aren't exactly normal on a tropical island.[/spoiler]

Most interesting new show I've seen in a while, can't wait for the next ep.[/size]

[quote name='Zenju][size=1]And I'm waiting for whatever that monster thing is on the island to be revealed, [spoiler] is it just the polar bears? What connection, based on Micael's backstory (just aired in NZ), does his son have to do with it? after all, he was reading a polar bear comic before one attacked him, and polar bears aren't exactly normal on a tropical island.[/spoiler'][/size][/quote]
I doubt the monster is [spoiler]a polar bear. In fact, I was under the assumption Walt was creating the polar bears himself. If you pay attention to the flashback, Walt was reading a book about the birds of Australia right before one flew head-first into the glass door of his house.[/spoiler]

I want to know why Claire [spoiler]lost her memory after escaping from Ethan. The guy hanged and killed Charlie and can take out Jack with no problem. The idea that a pregnant woman can escape from him and lose her memory of ever meeting him? Plus he had scratches on his face, which means she probably put up a fight, but he didn't come after her until a day or two later. And let's not forget her flashback where the psychic told her there was something "blurry" about her baby.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Manic Webb]I doubt the monster is [spoiler]a polar bear. In fact, I was under the assumption Walt was creating the polar bears himself. If you pay attention to the flashback, Walt was reading a book about the birds of Australia right before one flew head-first into the glass door of his house.[/spoiler'] [/quote]
Yeah, that's what I was referring to, basically, [spoiler] Walt seems to have an ability, under stress, to create things out of his own mind, (eg, the polar bear right after he reads the polar bear comics, no polar bear to date since the comic was burned....) I presume then that the monster is either a polar bear, or somethign else that Walt has conjured up. And then there's the Locke connection. He's the only one that has seen the monster directly, so he knows what it is, and, to an extent, probably knows where it has come from. [/spoiler]

[quote]
I want to know why Claire [spoiler]lost her memory after escaping from Ethan. The guy hanged and killed Charlie and can take out Jack with no problem. The idea that a pregnant woman can escape from him and lose her memory of ever meeting him? Plus he had scratches on his face, which means she probably put up a fight, but he didn't come after her until a day or two later. And let's not forget her flashback where the psychic told her there was something "blurry" about her baby.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Well, weird things certainly do happen on this island [spoiler] so I wouldn't be surprised is Claire's baby has some kind of connection with the supernatural. What that blurry thing about Claire's baby is could be a plot point explored in future episodes. Claire will mopst probably give birth in the next season, I just hope they don't have her give birth to an alien or something stupid like that, lol. [/spoiler]

• 4 months later...
Wow, I'm pretty surprised at how little attention this thread got, especially considering how many people seem to like Lost. O_o;

Anyway, I never saw Lost on its initial run on television, but the rest of my family are massive fans of the show so we have the boxset. I decided to give the show a shot since I've heard tons of great things, and I'm completely addicted to it now. I love how the characters' pasts are interwoven so well with the main storylines. You know that this wasn't some random stroke of luck that these people crashed onto this island. This happened for a [i]reason[/i], and that's reflected well in the pasts of these characters, I think.

So far I would say my favorite character is a three-way tie between Charlie, Sawyer, and Locke. At the beginning it was Charlie pretty easily, but Sawyer and Locke have grown on me a ton. I liked Sawyer at the beginning, mostly because I think that the 'asshole sleazeball' is such a great character (if only to test the mettle of whatever characters have to deal with him or her), but I'm glad that Sawyer has been shown to be much deeper and more human than that. Plus, Josh Holloway is a fantastic actor... he's really brought Sawyer to life.

Locke I just love because he's so mystical and mysterious. Just the way he always has that knowing, bizarre grin on his face... so damn cool lol. He's probably the character that believes the most that everything that has happened to the castaways happened for a reason. Just about everything that Locke relates more to the island itself than actually attempting to get off of the island like everyone else. It's like he sees something on this island that's bigger than all of them, some grandiose reason for all of them to stay... which is pretty much why he hasn't contributed that much to the whole 'getting off of the island' effort.

Anyway, now that I've actually gone through the episodes, my sister has been discussing theories with me like crazy (I can tell she was just waiting for me to hurry up and get through the first season lol). I've got a couple to share right now...

We're both of the opinion that the monster on the island [spoiler]is a robot or something similar to that. Not merely because of the mechanical noises heard whenever a castaway is [i]really[/i] close to the monster, but because of the relation to the Dark Tower books, as well. One of the writers of Lost is a self-professed fan of Stephen King, and Lost has been littered with King references, especially in relation to the Dark tower novels (the obsession with numbers, Charlie's addiction to drugs and being caught in the bathroom with drugs by flight attendants, the mysterious beings that steal children, etc.).

In the third novel of the Dark Tower series, [i]The Waste Lands[/i], early on Eddie Dean runs into a large cyborg bear in the woods which attacks him. Susannah and Roland end up killing the bear, and Roland's explanation for the bear's existence is that it is one of the fabled Guardians that were meant to protect the twelve Portals that existed in Roland's world. In other words... a security system (as Rousseau referred to the monster as).[/spoiler] I think that this theory makes sense. I can't imagine what else the monster would be lol.

Last night my sister pitched the idea to me that [spoiler]the woman on the boat who accompanied the people who took Walt near the end of "Exodus" is Rousseau's daughter, Alex. Just a random thought, but I think that would make sense. The Others take Alex, and then they put her to work gathering more followers. I have no idea what the Others do with the babies, other than perhaps raising them to become their followers. Obviously children who end up on the island are of major importance, or else the Others wouldn't go after them. Maybe Alex and Aaron (Claire's baby) have the potential for psychic powers like Walt has?[/spoiler]

Just a couple of things I was thinking about. I'd like to hear other people's opinions on how plausible those theories might be! :)

My theories on the Monster changed dramatically when I witnessed [spoiler]the Black Smoke of Doom in the last few episodes. I always thought it was strange that-- whatever the monster was-- there was never a clear view of what was uprooting the trees. Then, sure enough, we see nothing but a puff of black smoke travelling all on its own. Whatever the monster is, it's very much mechanical, and it appears to live underground.[/spoiler]

From the moment I saw The Others, I knew [spoiler]the woman among them was Alex. The Crazy French Lady's daughter disappeared, what, 16 years ago? And there's a young woman on the other side of the island?[/spoiler] Speaking of "the other side of the island"...

[spoiler]I was amazed at how utterly huge that island was when Michael, Walt, Jin, and Sawyer were sailing away from it. You expect me to believe they drifted off to see for probably [b]hours[/b], and the island is still adjacent to them? That island must be huge. This ain't Gilligan's Island, here. It'd be completely impossible for something that big to not get mapped at some point.

This adds to a theory I heard that the island might be moving. It's a massive land mass, but it's unmapped. The tide came in by several feet one day, forcing everyone to move farther up the beach and inland. It's in the South Pacific, but there's a population of both boars and polar bears. Then again, Walt was creating the polar bears, so you never know.[/spoiler]

I was quite surprised to see [spoiler]Michelle Rodriguez show up in Jack's final flaskbacks as some woman named Ana-Lucia. Ana-Lucia said she was sitting toward the back of the plane... where Rose's husband was during the crash. Remember how Rose was so convinced that her husband the the tail-end of the plane survived in the first few episodes? Notice how Sawyer, Jin, and Michael are now stranded in waters on the other side of this huge island? Uh huh. We're gonna meet new people next season-- I know it.[/spoiler]

[size=1]
The first season of Lost just only [i]recently[/i] started here in the UK. I've known about it when it came out in the US thanks to a download-crazy friend who obsesses over the show and watches each show as soon as it's up, lol. He's a year ahead of everyone else here. I missed the first 2 episodes so I've decided to just rob the first season off my friend when he can be bothered to hook me up. Hate watching things partway in.

Soon I shall see what the fuss is all about *dun dun dunnn*[/size]

[QUOTE=Manic Webb][spoiler]I was amazed at how utterly huge that island was when Michael, Walt, Jin, and Sawyer were sailing away from it. You expect me to believe they drifted off to sea for probably [b]hours[/b], and the island is still adjacent to them? That island must be huge. This ain't Gilligan's Island, here. It'd be completely impossible for something that big to not get mapped at some point.

This adds to a theory I heard that the island might be moving. It's a massive land mass, but it's unmapped. The tide came in by several feet one day, forcing everyone to move farther up the beach and inland. It's in the South Pacific, but there's a population of both boars and polar bears. Then again, Walt was creating the polar bears, so you never know.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

That's an interesting theory, actually... I've been looking up a few theories myself, and I've not seen anyone mention that possibility. I think that would make sense, though. [spoiler]It would certainly explain the tide at the very least lol. That also would add much more to the whole mystical nature of the island... that it is able to move wherever it wants whenever it wants.[/spoiler]

And, yeah, [spoiler]I'm expecting more than a few new faces to show up, as well. I'm pretty sure that I heard that an actor who was previously on Oz is going to be appearing on Lost along with Michelle Rodriguez.[/spoiler]

You're in for a real treat, AJ. I'm always skeptical of ultra-popular stuff, because I always think that I'll end up disappointed, but Lost lives up to the hype and more. Plus, since you'll be so far ahead of everyone else in the UK, you'll be able to tease your friends with threats of letting loose spoilers. :)

I watched Lost pretty religiously on TV during its first run. The only one I haven't seen completely is the first one (I had no interest in it before it actually aired- my mom and brother were entranced by it, and I got sucked in as well).. We went out to get the box set today, but my mom decided that $45 at Suncoast was too expensive, so there is no sexy box in my posession yet.

I hear that you can see some interesting things in the background, if you watch it frame by frame. [spoiler]People on Penny Arcade forums were saying you could get a very close look at the monsters that attacked the plane if you slow it down a bit.[/spoiler] I doubt I'm going to take the time to do such things, but it would be interesting to see what they've left for the hardcore fans to uncover.

I really, really hope they will stop the show when it needs to end, and not milk it for years and years, crippling the show's awesomeness.

• 2 weeks later...
I know people had to have watched the season premiere last night, right?

I was honestly surprised at what was inside the hatch. [spoiler]I think that the ABC commericals showing the door with 'Quarantine' on it threw me off for some reason... I kept thinking that the beginning of the episode was some sort of flashback that was unrelated to the hatch. Oh well, shows how wrong I was, I guess. Mostly I'm wondering not only who exactly that guy is, but how he managed to get all of that crap down there without Rousseau noticing (that guy's talk with Jack couldn't have been more than a few years before the plane crash, so you know that Rousseau was on the island before he was). Or maybe all of that stuff was already down there and he just found it? Who knows. I'm probably way off the mark.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it was a good episode. Apparently it was the #1 prime time show last night, so that's cool. :)

[SIZE=1]My excitement in Lost kinda died out during the summer, but that Season Premiere sure got my excitement up again.

[spoiler]I never understood that guy in the stadium, but I guess they don't want you to know yet do they? The door with the 'Quarantine' sign is what got me. The numbers on the door too, how did it all get there? Find one answer and ten new questions pop up.[/spoiler]

This is a great show, probably one of the best I've seen in awhile.[/SIZE]

I love and hate Lost at the same time. I love the characters (especially Sawyer and Sayid) the overall storyline, but I hate the twists. They just seem to be trying so hard to make the watchers of the show LOST in the intricate plot.

I myself believe the secret to the entire show lies in the numbers that appear throughout the series.

My theory is that Lost is Survivor taken to the extreme. Two tribes trying to figure out what they need to do to get off the island.

• 1 month later...
Just one thing to say about tonight's episode: Wow.

It's a testament to how great Lost is that basically everyone online knew that [spoiler]Shannon[/spoiler] was going to die, and yet the show is still able to deliver a great shocker at the end. Tensions are going to be running mighty high down at the beach soon. :)

Does anyone else think that the Others set up what happened at the end of tonight's episode on purpose? Ana Lucia did say that they were very smart. I wouldn't put it past them to screw with everyone's heads like that.

I recently became a Lost fanatic since I bought a Ipod video and downloaded the entire first season onto it. I am hooked. My favorite episode so far has got to be The Walkabout. Locke's entire shorty was so heartfelt and powerful I nearly cried. I'm honestly shaking right now just thinking about his confrontation with the walkabout cordinator. God! I love it! I can't even put into words how much I love it.

Now, about tonights episode. Since I haven't caught up with all of seasons one and two. As a matter of fact, this was my first time watching Lost on TV. And I wasn't disappointed. But, since I haven't seen it before, and the pre-episode intro didn't explain about the others, so I was a little Lost myself. Tehe, bad pun. So, when you say the others, do you mean the other survivors, or the little evil children of the corn kids, whom I still don't understand.

[quote name='Outlaw']So, when you say the others, do you mean the other survivors, or the little evil children of the corn kids, whom I still don't understand.[/quote]
The evil people. They're not necessarily children, since we saw a group of adults [spoiler]kidnap Walt at the beginning of the seasons[/spoiler].

You know, I never for a moment knew that [spoiler]Shannon[/spoiler] was going to be the one to die. Then again, I avoid Lost spoilers like the plague. The death really upset me, since their flashbacks throughout the episode made them a much more interesting character. The backstory has such potential, and it seems like a waste to just drop them like that.

Then again, who says they're really dead? We only saw [spoiler]her get shot on the abdomen and fall down.[/spoiler] There's a chance Jack (with a little help from everybody's favorite nurse, Sun) could save both dying people in a coming episode. Sure, the previews hyped one of the crash survivors dying in this episode, but that could've easily been [spoiler]Cindy, the girl who was part of Ana-Lucia's group that disappeared while they were bringing Sawyer up the hill. Of course, I don't even remember what this Cindy girls looks like...[/spoiler]

Ok, so, first off, not a huge Tailies fan, but maybe thats just because I don't know them aswell. Actually, its not so much the tailies, but Anna Lucia in general. I just don't find her all that beleivable, considering how she acted when talking with Jack and all. I feel like her sudden bad-assness is just to forced. Plus I doubt [spoiler]she could really be flooring Sawyer with just one punch. Well, maybe if it was too the sholder, but thats only cause theres a big bullet sized hole in it.[/spoiler]

Ok, beyond that, I am really psyched for next weeks episode, because I love Saeede when he's on a mission, and hated him getting all lovey dovey with Shannon. For being a person willing to risk his life on several occations for that girl of his back home, he certainly forgot about her real quick. And hopefully we're finally going to get some good things happening, with [spoiler]Sun and Jin being reunited, and Rose and Bernie. Call me a big softy, but I nearly cried when we found out Bernie was alive.[/spoiler]

And now the big question is, with [spoiler]Echo and Locke now in the party, which one of them is going to be killed off? Because they can't have two hunter/killer badasses on the show.[/spoiler]

And finally, what the hell ever happened to Jack's father? I just watch The White Rabbit over again, the episode where Jack finds the caves while looking for his father on the island, and I never saw the body. Did he leave it in Australia? Did it come back to life? Was that really Jack's father walking around? And if so, is he an other now? DAMN YOU LINGERING QUESTIONS!

[color=navy]I added spoiler tags to your post. Because viewers in other parts of the world aren't completely caught up, I suggest you place all season-2 events in spoiler tags as well.
--Manic W.[/color]

[quote name='Outlaw']Ok, so, first off, not a huge Tailies fan, but maybe thats just because I don't know them aswell. Actually, its not so much the tailies, but Anna Lucia in general. I just don't find her all that beleivable, considering how she acted when talking with Jack and all. I feel like her sudden bad-assness is just to forced.[/quote]
Well, considering what happened to the Tailenders, I can believe it. The first group of survivors had it easy. On the first night, they heard the Security System, saw it snatch up the pilot, and dealt with nothing but internal problems for the next few weeks. Sayid had to go out of his way to find Danielle Rousseau, and it took a while for Ethan to show up and attack them. (If that was a spoiler for you, then I'm sorry. Those episodes aired in the US in 2004, and most international showings should've made it that far by now.)
On the other hand, [spoiler]the Tailenders got attacked by the Others on the first night. Ana-Lucia might not have been a very violent person at first, but watching her fellow survivors get plucked off one-by-one at night, plus figuring out one of the men she trusted (Goodwyn) was a traitor, must've hardened her up. We're looking at 48 straight days of her fighting for her life.[/spoiler]

[quote]because I love Saeede when he's on a mission[/quote]
Sayid, not Saeede. Just thought you'd like to know.

I did not see any of the first season but saw all o the second one and I love it. The backstpry of the tailenders was frikkin awesome. I gained a new respect for the kickass girl. I hated her at first for picking on my favorite charachter, swyer, but now I see why. Man, she really liked Goodwin too... the one thing I want to know is - what happened to Desmond? He told that other guy that he was hightailin it and ran off but to where?

And also, I love the fat guy (whats his name?). Hes so cool, just wants people to like him.

Sorry if I spoiled, I wouldn't know >_<

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm a little behind the times (which is to say that I just finished the pilot episode), but Lost seems like a very interesting show, and I'm looking forward to catching up with it on DVD. It comes across as being an odd crossbreed of a lot of earlier stuff... even so, it works pretty well on its own.

Also, [spoiler]OMGWTFPOLARBEAR!!11!!![/spoiler]

I had to do it. :animeblus

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Also, [spoiler]OMGWTFPOLARBEAR!!11!!![/spoiler]

I had to do it. :animeblus

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Get ready to do that a lot over the course of the first season. :p

Be sure to report your thoughts in this thread. It'll be fun to have some more reflection upon the first season of the show. :)

Anyway, last week's episode was really great. [spoiler]Ana Lucia's[/spoiler] flashback was good, and the ending was fantastic. [spoiler]I love a heartwarming reunion. And we'll get more Jin/Sun interaction! Man do those two ever rule.[/spoiler] I'm greatly looking to finally seeing [spoiler]just what the hell Kate did.[/spoiler]

And then six weeks without Lost!! Joy!! :(

EDIT: This post spoilered just in case Dagger wanders in and sees my post... I ruin future events for [i]nobody[/i]!!

[QUOTE=Outlaw]Ok, so, first off, not a huge Tailies fan, but maybe thats just because I don't know them aswell. Actually, its not so much the tailies, but Anna Lucia in general. I just don't find her all that beleivable, considering how she acted when talking with Jack and all. I feel like her sudden bad-assness is just to forced. Plus I doubt [spoiler]she could really be flooring Sawyer with just one punch. Well, maybe if it was too the sholder, but thats only cause theres a big bullet sized hole in it.[/spoiler
[/color][/QUOTE]

Ok Ok, I officially retract my statement. Ana Lucia is now a very beleiveable character. You see, my problem with allot of action hero type characters is their skill depsite lack of training. This is why I originally didn't believe Ana's character. I figured she was just some office 9-to-5-er. [spoiler]But the fact that she has had police training really helps her case.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

And I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I nearly cried when [spoiler]Bernie and Rose reconnected[/spoiler]. I've been waiting for that one moment for weeks, and it was so nice to finally see it happen.

And finally, yeah, a ****ing [spoiler]Polar Bear[/spoiler]. Just think about the balls the writers must have had to walk into the producer's office with that idea. I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

[spoiler]"Yeah, and on the second day...they get attacked by a polar bear."

"A What!?" the producers would respond.

"A.....polar bear"

"You mean a grizzly bear, or a black bear? Cause this is a tropical island."

"No, we mean polar bear. Like from the Arctic Circle."

"..........Alright, **** it, use a polar bear."[/spoiler]

[color=Blue][b]Edit:[/b]
[color=Black]So when does the season resume. Because I'm suffering from Lost withdrawl right now.[/color]

Please remember to use the edit button if you want to add more to your last post.
- Petie[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[color=darkred]I didn't like this show when it first aired a few months ago (lame-*** UK scheduling), but I recently borrowed a few episodes on DVD from one of my mates (only Season 1 -_-), out of interest, and I've found the show to be simply amazing. I actually get a buzz out of watching it, which hasn't happened in a long, long time. I think, for me, the most elegant thing about Lost is the way that so many enigmas have been set up, most of which lead to a totally new and different one ([spoiler]the hatch, quarantine, the numbers, etc.[/spoiler])

There's a load of inter-textual references in Lost as well. [spoiler]The crashed ship containing the dynamite was called the "Black Rock", which is interesting, because there was a film made some time ago (1955) aptly named "Bad day at Black Rock", which is basically about a ship, which crashes, but not just any ship; a slave ship... which is what the Black Rock in Lost appeared to be. The ship appears old, which would explain why it's so deep into the jungle on the island, as opposed to still being a wreck on the beach.[/spoiler]

And about these numbers... [spoiler]a friend of mine was telling me his theory on how the numbers are supposed to represent the seat numbers of certain passengers on the plane. Apparently Jack's and Ana Lucia's seat numbers are included in the combination.[/spoiler]

One more thing, though slightly irrelevant. My dodgy connections landed me a copy of the first episode of Season 2 today, and I swear to god, [spoiler]the dude in the hatch is Liquid Snake from MGS all over. He talks like him, looks like him, and spouts out the word "brother" like anything. When he had Locke at gun point, the way he revealed himself by calling Jack "brother" just had Liquid splodged all over. Again, inter-textuality, though this time to video games, even if that wasn't the intention.[/spoiler].

But yeah, awesome, awesome TV show.[/color]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred]One more thing, though slightly irrelevant. My dodgy connections landed me a copy of the first episode of Season 2 today, and I swear to god, [spoiler]the dude in the hatch is Liquid Snake from MGS all over. He talks like him, looks like him, and spouts out the word "brother" like anything. When he had Locke at gun point, the way he revealed himself by calling Jack "brother" just had Liquid splodged all over. Again, inter-textuality, though this time to video games, even if that wasn't the intention.[/spoiler'].[/color][/quote]

Haha, I never thought about that before - I can see some of the similarities, though lol. (Except that [spoiler]Desmond seems to have a much better tan than Liquid Snake.[/spoiler] :p) Just more reasons to like [spoiler]Desmond, though, I suppose.[/spoiler] I wish he were on the show more. :(

Good to see that you're liking Lost. The second season is just as good. :)

Anyway, I wish we didn't have to wait another week for the next episode - a Sawyer episode, even! Sawyer is definitely my favorite character on the show (though [spoiler]Mr. Eko[/spoiler] may have something to say about that by the end of the season), so I'm looking forward to the new episode very much. More insight into Sawyer's character can be nothing but awesome.