OtakuBoards

Metal

Jake of Bodom

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Why yes, Jake, I have heard "Mother Earth" by Within Temptation. A THOUSAND CURSES UPON YOU for telling me about them! Now I cannot rest until I own every single one of their songs! AAARRGGGHH!

Great band, great band.

When it comes to bands with female vocalists.... hmm..... I would say Nightwish, because they're forkin' amazing, but now that I've heard Within Temptation, the seed of doubt has been planted in my think-meats. It is very much within my temptation ( :D I couldn't resist) to list them as the best female-vocalized band. Sinergy is also cool, but I like Nightwish's vocalist better.

You know what other band is great?

[b][SIZE=3]LUCA TURILLI[/SIZE][/b]

Luca Turilli is actually the lead guitarist for Rhapsody, but he's done some solo albums, and they are like Rhapsody times a GAZILLION. Check out "Legend of Steel" (I think is what it's called, or maybe Legion of Steel). I don't know what album it's off of, but it is absolutely fantabulous. Dang, there were some others, but they've slipped my mind. Ah well.

Keep it real, like [u][URL=http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sonataarctica/silence.html#2]Sonata Arctica[/URL][/COLOR][/u][COLOR=DarkSlateGray] does![/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love "Ancient Forest of the Elves" by Luca Turilli as well. It gets stuck in my head like no other! ARGH!

Yeah, I'd prolly have to go with Nightwish for the femme bans as well, but Within Temptation is prolly a close second.

[QUOTE]Keep it real, like Sonata Arctica does![/QUOTE]
LMFAO! I get it! Clever, Rhym. Very clever.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! You know, I'm glad you showed me the purity and classical influences of real metal. I found that video you told me about with the two people from the band Children of Bodom playing a Bach minuet on electric guitars.-10 out of 10 stars!
Have you heard of the Scandinavian metal band Gjesfor Tajsnier? Well they're a GREAT band who do redone versions of classical pieces whilst the whole band acts as the orchestra. They even played with North French Philharmonic Orchestra in a performance of [I]Carmen[/I]! The instruments in this band are two electric guitars, one bass guitar, one doulble-bass, one piano, one violin, and drums. But they regularly play with orchestras and choirs.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
I actually haven't heard of Gjesfor Tajsnier! I'll be sure to check them out, sounds like it's right up my alley. I'm glad you like true metal. The misconceptions regarding metal truly make me sad, but it makes us metalheads the few and the proud. Anytime you want some new bands to listen to, just PM me or ask on the thread.

By the way everyone, I've been getting quite obsessed with Folk Metal lately, so here's some highlights:

Finntroll (of course!)
Ensiferum
Korpiklaani
Elvenking
Cruachan
Turisas
Skyclad

Have fun, be folky, and STAY FUCl.<) \m/

The odd thing is... i thought I posted in here, but apparently I didn't.

I live in NC, so the local music is good enough, I don't delve into more well-known bands that much. I'll list a few that I like, although some of them might be more hardcore than metal:

[b]Norma Jean:[/b] Christian bands run rampant here, and this one is the biggest. There's not much to say about this band, other than they make good music and they really like to barbeque. I highly recommend "Liarsenic: Creating a Universe of Discourse" as a good song to start out with them.

[b]Between the Buried and Me:[/b] These guys are probably the second-most popular band in NC, this is one of those bands that at first makes you think "what the hell was that?" until you listen to them a few more times. If you haven't already heard it, listen to "Mordecai" or "Arsonist."

[b]He is Legend:[/b] Metal with an evident southern-rock flare to it. Not all of their songs could be classified as metal, but everything they do is amazing. Try "The Seduction," "You Sound Like a White Boy," and "Scram, Toots."

[b]Advent:[/b] These guys are a new band made up of members of Beloved and KILLWHITNEYDEAD. They've played one show so far and are playing again this Sunday at a local joint. If you want to get an idea of what they sound like, listen to Beloved new cd, without the singer...

There's more, but I don't have the time to continue. I'll post more later if you like what I put up there.

The new Norma Jean album was good, but a little discordant at times, at least for my taste. Between the Buried and Me is pretty cool, and they are definately doing their own thing, which is awesome. I'll definately check out Advent because KILLWHITNEYDEAD is awesome and apparently they share some band members. I've never heard of He is Legend, but I usually don't like Southern-fried music too much...

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']The new Norma Jean album was good, but a little discordant at times, at least for my taste. Between the Buried and Me is pretty cool, and they are definately doing their own thing, which is awesome. I'll definately check out Advent because KILLWHITNEYDEAD is awesome and apparently they share some band members. I've never heard of He is Legend, but I usually don't like Southern-fried music too much...[/quote]

Well as far as I know, Advent has only written a few songs and they haven't recorded anything nor put up a website. They are more like Beloved, it's the same band except the drummer/screamer from Beloved filled in the frontman/vocalist position and KWD's drummer joined them. KWD is great, if not insane and evil.

Here's a better idea of what He is Legend sounds like: The vocalist's voice sounds like a mix between KoRn's and Incubus's, he also screams and there's another screamer in the band. Most of the noise the instruments make is somewhere between rock and metal with a folksy sound thrown in. I don't really like that style either, but they're a great band and very fun to see live.

Slayer are American. And imo they're the best damn Metal band, ever O_O (let's just excuse their Undisputed Attitude cover album and God Hates Us All more nu-metally album). I think Death are American too. In which case they kick total ***. Chuck was easily one of my most favorite guitarists, where he lacks in vocal abilities he makes up for 10 fold in his guitarwork.

A few non American bands that kick *** are Dimmu Borgir (newer stuff, I don't care much for 'HARDCORE' Black Metal) and Children of Bodom. Bodom kick so much *** with their rapid fire riffing and crazily melodic guitar solos <333333

I'm not sure what the new band 'Demonoid' are but they're pretty good too =p

Death is ******* awesome, Bodom is quite possibly my favorite band ever, but I disagree with you completely on Slayer. I [I]loathe[/I] Slayer. I respect them, because if not for Slayer then most of what I listen to today wouldn't exist, but I think Slayer is annoying, image-obsessed, repetitive, and hugely overrated. But that's just me. I know TONS of people who love them.

But yeah, Death and Bodom rule. And I haven't gotten to Demonoid yet, but they've been on my To Listen To list for a while.

As for Dimmu Borgir, I like their mid-era the best. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia are incredible albums. I know that Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is a newer album, but the other two are mid-era. I think those albums exemplify how symphonic black metal should sound.

And speaking of symphonic black metal, have you ever heard of Anorexia Nervosa? Those kids are ******* kickass.

Nope, I've never listened to Anorexia Nervosa. But yeah I can see why some people would absolutley hate Slayer or regard them as a more nu-metal nowadays thanks to God Hates Us All. But you've really got to listen to their really older stuff (Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood, Haunting the Chapel, etc) in order to appreciate the once was awesomeness of Slayer.

As for Death, yeah brotha! I can't even begin to describe how much I love their Human album, good lord. It's like the most pulsating, riveting, somewhat off-beat but highly melodic Death Metal album I've ever listened to. I simply love the drums, especially in Suicide Machine where the drummer busts out into random drum rolls like every 10 seconds o____________o rofl. I love practically every Death album even though Chuck kicked like all of the band members in each album to get new ones, they still somewhat follow the same syle of Death that I've always loved (the rapidly changing tempos and sounds, the somewhat off-beat drumming, the bouncy and harsh bass playing, the way the two guitarists always play the same riff then one or the other breaks off for a moment to play another riff or goes into a crazily sophisticated and high pitched guitar solo). I never liked Chuck's voice much, but eh..it's grown on me and the rest of the music's so good if they didn't even have a lead singer I don't think I'd care o_o

Eh, my metalness stems from a love of hardcore. Since there is such a mixing of the two(ie: metalcore), especially with the modern portrait of hxc, most hardly discern the differences. Here's my list of favorite metal-something/something-core bands:

Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, the Chariot, Iron Maiden, He Is Legend, Underoath, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Hatebreed, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Symphony in Peril, Zao, Haste the Day, Killswitch Engage, Yesterdays Rising, Crown the Vulture, the Auburn System, I Killed the Prom Queen, Jesus Wept--that's enough.

-Justin

Heh, you live somewhere near me, Justin, I can tell.

I can't believe I forgot to list the Chariot, I saw them live last week and they put on a very funny show. Josh stopped the band in the middle of a song to say he "saved 15% or more on his car insurance by switching to Geico."

I'm happy to say that I've met up with Spencer of Underoath three times going to other band's shows. I guess whenver he isn't touring he comes to hang out at the place that started some of his success (Ace's Basement, NC).

Here's another popular NC band: Swift. These guys were basically my gateway drug into metal. Their lyrics are very easy to find yourself in (they're also easy to understand). Their drummer is the best producer in NC, Jamie King. He recorded He is Legend's first cd, KILLWHITNEYDEAD's cd's, and 2 of Bloodjinn's cd's.

Also, these guys aren't really metal, but hardcore, they're called Circle Takes the Square and they've been my favorite band since 2003. They manage to not really play heavy (most of the time, their guitars don't have the gain turned all the way up), but they're quite heavy. Everyone in the band is incredibly talented as musicians, writers, and their vocalist, Drew, is an amazing artist and he draws pictures for his own band and for their friends Kylesa.

That's all awesome guys, but please please PLEASE do me a HUGE favor and never, never, EVER, under ANY circumstances, associate Underoath with metal. Nothing against them (well, I hate them, but whatever), but they are in NO WAY metal. Not at all. No. In fact, they're not even hardcore. They're post-hardcore poppy stuff, whatever you want to call it. I love their message and all, but their music isn't metal.

And I really want to thank you guys for knowing that Hardcore isn't metal. Not enough people understand that.

And Justin, I think the best band you listed is As I Lay Dying. Their new disc is phenominal, and best of all, they've converted nearly entirely to pure melodic death metal! YES! Praise the lord!

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]That's all awesome guys, but please please PLEASE do me a HUGE favor and never, never, EVER, under ANY circumstances, associate Underoath with metal. Nothing against them (well, I hate them, but whatever), but they are in NO WAY metal. Not at all. No. In fact, they're not even hardcore. They're post-hardcore poppy stuff, whatever you want to call it. I love their message and all, but their music isn't metal.

And I really want to thank you guys for knowing that Hardcore isn't metal. Not enough people understand that.

And Justin, I think the best band you listed is As I Lay Dying. Their new disc is phenominal, and best of all, they've converted nearly entirely to pure melodic death metal! YES! Praise the lord![/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Concerning Norma Jean (which isn't mentioned in the above post, but one before it), if you're going to listen to them, listen to "Bless the Martyr Kiss the Child." This CD is absolutely amazing and contains their best song, which everyone seems to love, "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste." My god, the breakdowns in this song will shatter your heart as you listen, trust me. O' God the Aftermath really isn't Norma Jean as far as I'm concerned. It's not near as good as their previous album and I was kind of disappointed.

Concerning Underoath, I assume you're referring to "They're Only Chasing Safety," their latest CD. I say this because "The Changing of Times," their original CD contains almost no singing or "poppish" beats at all. Aside from tracks 1 and 5 I believe each song has rather good guitar and amazing high-pitched screaming. Really I don't know a band that contains as much high-pitched screams as Underoath. Maybe it's not your thing, and thats totally cool, but you can't classify all their music by the songs you've heard. They've changed and although I don't hate the new stuff, it's very different from the first album. Neither album is metal, however, and whoever said so just hasn't heard Underoath lol. The first album I would classify as Hardcore, and the second I would classify as Screamo, maybe Hardcore in certain areas. Something tells me the song you've heard most by Underoath is "Reinventing Your Exit," am I right?

As I Lay Dying is fantastic, by the way, and I'm wearing their shirt right now lol. I highly recommend Symphony In Peril to you Jake, if you havn't heard them as of yet, something tells me you'll like it. Your tastes are much more metal then my own, although we like a lot of the same bands. I assume you're not a big fan of From Autumn to Ashes, Hawthorne Heights, Silverstein? You don't seem to like Screamo much lol.[/SIZE]

Ah, Kamuro, yet again, you astound me with how you actually know what you're talking about! Thank you.

As for Underøath, I do realize how much they've changed. Their older stuff was way, WAY better (IMO). What happened to the breakdowns? Why did they murder their musical integrity? Why did they turn into a friggin' POP BAND?

Sorry. Anyway, I was referring to "They're Only Chasing Safety", and I do realize that the old stuff was way more 'hxc'. But either way, like you said, they aren't metal.

Symphony in Peril is alright, but I haven't heard enough of them to form a set-in-stone opinion.

And if you want bone-shattering, heart-crushing, heavy-as-your-fucl
And for high-pitched screams, try Converge. I don't like them at all, but their vocalist is like a fucl

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Ah, Kamuro, yet again, you astound me with how you actually know what you're talking about! Thank you.

As for Underøath, I do realize how much they've changed. Their older stuff was way, WAY better (IMO). What happened to the breakdowns? Why did they murder their musical integrity? Why did they turn into a friggin' POP BAND?

Sorry. Anyway, I was referring to "They're Only Chasing Safety", and I do realize that the old stuff was way more 'hxc'. But either way, like you said, they aren't metal.

Symphony in Peril is alright, but I haven't heard enough of them to form a set-in-stone opinion.

And if you want bone-shattering, heart-crushing, heavy-as-your-fucl
And for high-pitched screams, try Converge. I don't like them at all, but their vocalist is like a fucl
I've seen The Acacia Strain live a year or so ago. They're great, but I didn't like them enough to buy any of their cd's.

Also, Syphony in Peril has my recommendation, I've only heard four songs and I'm thinking about getting their cd (after I complete my Kylesa collection).

[SIZE=1]Well Jake, I'm not quite sure what happened to Underoath lol. They changed singers between the two albums so I'm assuming that had something to do with the change, but I can't really speak for the band. Some of the new stuff is great, but the older songs have a lot more feeling in them and the lyrics are much better (I think). Breakdowns are also absent more or less in "They're Only Chasing Safety," I was disappointed with a lot of the songs. However, I think the band meshes really well together, and although the type of music they make is not to your liking, they are good at what they do, so I give them respect best I can.

High-pitched screaming isn't rare to metal and genres of the sort, but good high-pitched screaming is hard to find lol. A lot of bands have 1 or 2 fantastic members that are overshadowed by the mediocrity of the rest of the band. I've heard some truly great screamers that just don't get the credit they deserve because the music just isn't good. I'm sure you'd agree that a band has to mesh well to produce music to the best of their ability. The members can't just go out on stage and do their own thing hoping for the best. A lot of high-pitched screamers join bands with old school guitar rifts and music thats all over the place that just degrades their voice to no end.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Arcacia Strain, they really do have good breakdowns. However, I'm old-fashioned and don't think I'll ever get over Norma Jean lol. They have a 15 minute song on the first album thats just amazing if you listen to the whole thing. I forget the name but after listening to the whole CD just after buying it I couldn't put it down. You know it's hard to change your mind after falling in love with a band lol. Same goes for Atreyu, they'll always have my recommendation. And Symphony In Peril, although new to my CD case, offers a lot to the metal listeners, I encourage all of you to buy it if you havn't already.[/SIZE]

Quick question, is hatebreed racist? I was on limewire just browsing and i saw their song Kill the Niggers, so i researched it on th internet and i get these conflicting reports of yea they are, and no they are not. So could one of u hatebreed listners tell me so i will have the facts, thanx.

Well, I checked around, and it looks like word out there is that there is actually no song by Hatebreed called "Kill the Niggers". I wouldn't believe it, either. Hatebreed is generally a band with very positive lyrics, and I can't see them ever releasing a song like that. Even if they did, I doubt the lyrics would actually have to do with murdering black people. I'm sure what you saw on Limewire was some jackass kid thinking it would be funny to put something up and say it was "Kill the Niggers" by "Hatebreed" to cause problems. I suggest you download the thing and see what it actually is. I bet money that it's either just another Hatebreed song or has nothing to do with Hatebreed altogether.

I was trying to find a song on LimeWire and it turned out that 400 people already had it... or so I thought. It was the title of the song I was looking for, but it wasn't the right song. I feel sorry for those 400 people.

As for high-pitched screamers, there's more in emo/screamo than there is in metal. If you're interested, check out The Sound of Animals Fighting. Odds are, you'll think they're weird, but you'll like them.

I've become friends with a metal band that has been causing a stir in the metal scene. They're called Sanctity, at first they sound more like mainstream metal, but then they get heavy. Another odd band for you to (find... and) try out.

When i finally got the d/l started i listend to it, though it was hard to make out the lyrics, whoever was singing it had a vocal sound like Zao, i never did hear tghe word ******, which is good. It did not sound like any hatebreed song so i doubt it was them.

Symphony In Peril is a band who's future I am very excited about. Shawn Jonas was a very good vocalist for that band (not so much for ZAO). He had a great stage presence and good vocals. However, he left the band now and is being replaced by John Pope formely of the band Narcissus. Narcissus was an amazing band, I suggest there final album [I]Crave and Collapse[/I] (one of my personal favourites) to anyone who likes the band Tool. It was really just a fantastic final album. However, they are one of the most underappreciated bands (in the last 5 years) I know of. Although, they haven't been together for 2 years now, so I don't think that will change anytime soon.