OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]BTW, the FF7 tech demo, that's in-game, right?[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

No one seems very positive as to what was actually rendered in real time on the PS3 at that conference anymore. The stuff they were able to control during the conference obviously was, but since then it's been revealed that much of what was shown was just pre-rendered CG that the PS3 would be capable of rendering in realtime (although I wonder how long it will take games to reach that quality).

So, while I don't think it's been said one way or the other about the FF7 tech demo, I'd probably put it in the CG video camp rather than realtime, personally. Not like it matters much anymore since they're not making it into a real game anyway, I guess.

Found this interesting:

[QUOTE] ...following the unveiling of the PlayStation 3, Factor 5 has decided to abandon both Nintendo and Microsoft, and develop games exclusively for Sony's next-generation console, the PlayStation 3. Eggebrecht told News.com that the power of the PlayStation 3 with its Cell CPU would "free our [Factor 5?s] development," and allow the company to create games that are closer to virtual reality.[/QUOTE]

That was somewhat unexpected, but it seemed fairly obvious that Factor 5 has been more concerned with how things look than anything else. After the last game they put out, I can't imagine even diehard Nintendo fans caring much... but you never know.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Sony's PlayStation 3 will not come packaged with a hard drive, reports the latest issue of Famitsu. While the machine comes with a 2.5-inch hard drive slot, consumers will be required to purchase and install the actual drive separately.

The news means that Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be the only one of the three next-generation consoles that will come with a hard drive. It comes with a detachable "outrigger" 20GB hard drive by default. Nintendo doesn't plan on the Revolution having a hard drive since the console uses 512MB of flash memory for data saving.

For Sony, offering the hard drive separately will cut costs for the PlayStation 3, which is expected to sell at around 44,800 yen ($410) in Japan according to a recent analysis by Merrill Lynch Japan Securities.

In recent interviews with the Japanese press, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said that he expects the initial capacity of the PS3's hard drive to be 80GB. While Sony hasn't released any figures on how much its hard drive is expected to be priced at, a 2.5-inch 80GB in the current Japanese market costs around an average of 20,000 yen ($180). Sony sells its 40GB hard drive (SCPH-20401) for the PlayStation 2 for 10,479 yen ($95).

Given Sony's past strategies, it is possible the company will offer a hard-drive-bundled PlayStation 3 as well as a standard edition. When Sony launched its PSP in Japan last December, the company offered the handheld machine in two packages: a normal edition priced at 19,800 yen ($179), and a "Value Pack" edition priced at 24,800 yen ($224), which came bundled with a number of accessories, including a 32MB Memory Stick Duo for saving game data. However, in America, the PSP Value Pack is the only option available.[/quote]

taken from [url='http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/01/news_6128501.html]Gamespot[/url]

From this article there is hope that consumers in America will get the hard drive as how in Japan they had the option of getting the PSP by itself or getting the bundle pack where here there was only the bundle pack. I hope they do include the hard drive here in America since I hate it when my memory card becomes corrupted or my sisters misplace it.

[color=#332E1D][font=franklin gothic medium]I'm not quite sure what they mean about the 512MB flash comment. It won't be external; it'll be on-board. So it's effectively the same as a hard drive. Although obviously Nintendo is going a different route than Microsoft, by allowing you to use SD cards.

I think Sony should do what Microsoft is doing - bundle a modest hard drive and allow people to buy several. The Xbox 360 portable/attachable hard drive is one of its best features I think. It's only 20GB, but that's more than enough for the average user - at least, to begin with. The fact that it's portable [i]and [/i]replacable is great.

Hopefully Sony gets it right. They didn't with PS2, in this respect.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
Well I'm not sure if some of you know this but I was watching tv just a few days ago ago and I was just channel flipping when I heard the ps3 dropped one of it's specs. I didn't catch which one but I know they did.

Oh and I know this doesn't deal with the discusion(sp?) right at this moment but where do you see the E3 press briefing video for the playstation 3? I haven't had a chance to see so it would be nice to.

[QUOTE=50 cent]Well I'm not sure if some of you know this but I was watching tv just a few days ago ago and I was just channel flipping when I heard the ps3 dropped one of it's specs. I didn't catch which one but I know they did.

Oh and I know this doesn't deal with the discusion(sp?) right at this moment but where do you see the E3 press briefing video for the playstation 3? I haven't had a chance to see so it would be nice to.[/QUOTE]
They dropped the router feature, didn't they? To be honest, I kind of want them to start dropping more of these extraneous features. I mean, it is kind of cool to run a game on two screens, but we do not need that at this point. I would rather have a $300 console without dual output than a $400 one that has it.

I want them to keep the hard drive, though (Don't care about the Linux support as much). If they're going to keep one "extra" feature, I want it to be the hard drive.

There are many things not very useful for PS3. It's stupid to use a 2.5 inch HDD when a 3.5 inch would make things cheaper and easier. Six USB ports? Four would be plenty.

Support for 7 controllers is going overboard. I can see where they are coming from with this combined with support for 2 HDTV's. But who In the world has 2 HDTV's close enough together to even try this?

Blue-Ray is interesting, but a write once disk is currently about $50, whereas a DVD is what, 10 cents? Why not make a game as huge as you want, put only a few levels on each DVD, and make a 6-disk set? You could produce about 80 6-dvd games for the price of 1 Blue-Ray game. Less cost means more profit.

[color=#332E1D][font=franklin gothic medium]The only major cost associated with Blu-ray is the actual purchase of capital equipment to handle manufacturing. Once a company has made that investment, I doubt that Blu-ray would be substantially more difficult or costly to deal with than DVD.

DVD is potentially worse if you're going to use six discs - not because of the added cost of the discs, but because of the unique packaging requirements. Also, there's the simple idea that not everyone is going to want to deal with a six disc game. This is particularly true if you consider that PS3 games will eventually regularly go over DVD spec (ie: regularly use more than 9GB or so). It's cumbersome.

The biggest issue I have with Blu-ray, from the consumer standpoint, is that they might be far more easy to damage than DVD, because of their more sensitive nature. Hopefully Sony will be able to do something about that.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Morpheus']Support for 7 controllers is going overboard. I can see where they are coming from with this combined with support for 2 HDTV's. But who In the world has 2 HDTV's close enough together to even try this?[/quote]I heard something one time about bluetooth being capable of connecting seven objects at once, which sort of explained the seven-controller bluetooth capabilities of PS3. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm thinking I am).

[quote]Blue-Ray is interesting, but a write once disk is currently about $50, whereas a DVD is what, 10 cents? Why not make a game as huge as you want, put only a few levels on each DVD, and make a 6-disk set? You could produce about 80 6-dvd games for the price of 1 Blue-Ray game. Less cost means more profit.[/QUOTE]That obviously wouldn't fly with streaming games like Grand Theft Auto, but with RPGs and most adventure games I wouldn't mind having four DVDs instead of one Blu-Ray. Of course, if they still sell new games for $50, I won't really care either way. I'm not too concerned about Sony's profit margin. :P

But it's an interesting idea, companies putting out multi-DVD games instead of individual Blu-Rays, at least until Blu-Ray prices come down a tad (if they really cost [i]that [/i]much to print.. I know they're more pricey, but $50 sounds like a lot).

$50 wasn't the cheapest, but was the average on Shopzilla. And that is just for a 23.3 GB Blue Ray. Sony has touted 60 GB.

[URL]http://www.shopzilla.com/12--Sony_PDDW023_23.3_GB_Write_once_Media_-_cat_id--438__prod_id--11697763__sort--6__start--10[/URL]

[color=#332e1d][font=franklin gothic medium]I guarantee you, next generation games will be more expensive regardless of medium. Whether or not the games arrive on DVDs or Blu-ray is largely irrelevant when it comes to cost. I also think that the source there is somewhat dubious.

Xbox 360 games are already marked as $5 to $10USD more than current Xbox software. The general price will rise across the board.

I'm interested to see if Revolution's games are more expenisve, though.[/font][/color]

[QUOTE=James][color=#332e1d][font=franklin gothic medium]I guarantee you, next generation games will be more expensive regardless of medium. Whether or not the games arrive on DVDs or Blu-ray is largely irrelevant when it comes to cost. I also think that the source there is somewhat dubious.

Xbox 360 games are already marked as $5 to $10USD more than current Xbox software. The general price will rise across the board.

I'm interested to see if Revolution's games are more expenisve, though.[/font][/color][/QUOTE]

Its funny, because games on the whole have been getting cheaper lately. A lot of games like ESPN sports and Katamari have been coming out at $20 which is like a godsend.

I wonder if we're heading to an era where games cost more or less depending on the game's budget? Final Fantasy 13 might cost $65 while some low rent RPG might be $40. I'm not happy at all about paying more than $50 for games, I'd rather they just made milder technological jumps and kept things at reasonable prices. I'm still more than happy with the graphics and performance of the PS2 games coming out.

I have a bad feeling about PS3, I'm excited about it, but it might just be its own downfall if all this price stuff gets out of hand like we're talking about.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]It's not the hardware that will push up prices, it's the game making itself. To make games it is increasinly requiring teams as large as or larger than those used on Hollywood blockbusters - it's part of the reason why so many smaller companies are being absorbed, or disappearing. There is no way they can afford to make a game up to most people's standards anymore.

I mean, look at it this way. In Mario you had a 2D scrolling bitmap for a background. The same person who did the foreground could construct the background. But with the jump to 3D, you not only have the foreground to worry about, but a 3D rendered background to contend with too. Therefore, because 3D is more time consuming, the person doing foreground can't possibly do the background as well. Ergo, you hire someone to construct the background. Up go prices.

It doesn't help that the average consumer is so used to small perks like that that they often write off games that don't have it (everyone's heard 'This game sucks cause it has bad graphics' at some point in their life). So it's really a lose lose situation. The industry has built up people's expectations for games, but is now having trouble fulfilling those same expectations because game development has become so expensive.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=satan665]Its funny, because games on the whole have been getting cheaper lately. A lot of games like ESPN sports and Katamari have been coming out at $20 which is like a godsend.

I wonder if we're heading to an era where games cost more or less depending on the game's budget? Final Fantasy 13 might cost $65 while some low rent RPG might be $40. I'm not happy at all about paying more than $50 for games, I'd rather they just made milder technological jumps and kept things at reasonable prices. I'm still more than happy with the graphics and performance of the PS2 games coming out.

I have a bad feeling about PS3, I'm excited about it, but it might just be its own downfall if all this price stuff gets out of hand like we're talking about.[/QUOTE]
[font=franklin gothic medium]It's difficult to say. What I can tell you is that the trend of higher prices has already begun - not in this generation, but in the next.

If you look at the listings for Xbox 360 launch software, you'll find that the retail price for these games is something like $5 to $10 higher than current generation games. And this is across the board, remember - it's not just one or two games.

In a sense, it's not something people haven't experienced. Some Nintendo 64 games were set at a higher price than others, but this was largely due to the variance in cartridge capacity at the time. Obviously with disc-based games, prices are more-or-less stable, except for certain circumstances that don't relate to storage medium at all (ie: budget-priced games that were much cheaper to make are also cheaper to buy).

So, what you'll find is that the general game price for next generation software might come in at $50 minimum, with most games arriving at, say, $55. "Bigger" or more high-priced games might arrive at $60 or $65.

I am interested in PlayStation 3, but I definitely have reservations about the general industry trends that are occurring right now. Konami have said that they'll put one or two big flagship games on each system. If you think about it, that's very different to what they're doing now - it essentially suggests an overall reduction in game production. Why a reduction? Because of massively-increased costs. It's going to be very difficult.

So far, PlayStation 3, like its predecessor, appears to be the least developer-friendly console. That didn't have much of an impact on Sony in the current generation because of their overall sales success. But it's a bigger problem next time 'round, largely because of stronger competition from Microsoft and Nintendo. Where MS and Nintendo are attempting to really make developer-friendliness a priority, Sony haven't really revealed anything so far that seems to alleviate matters.

This is especially true if you consider their technical demonstrations for PS3. Hideo Kojima basically said that if Sony are expecting that quality of graphics, he is worried that it might be hard for many developers to meet that target. I agree, but not because of some inherent difficulty of producing photorealistic graphics; the biggest problem will be the complex hardware and the middleware is going to be a big question.

So who knows. At the very least, this generation is going to be the first to put a really massive strain on the industry worldwide. Let's hope that Sony is going to present really strong and affordable middleware for game developers.[/font]

Well Well Well this is a very interesting topic and I can see all of you are way out of my league ya really know what?s going on. So anyways what I was going to say was, on the issue of graphics, the X BOX 360 seemed a lot more viable very smooth and believable. Yes I realized that the PS3 is VERY superior graphics wise the stuff they showed was amazing but I don?t know if I can believe that that is actual game play that was just too?good. It was flawless and the best I?ve ever seen but we?ll have to see if that?s actual game play before we know who wins graphics wise.
On another note I was very disappointed in Nintendo (understand first off thought that I am ever so slightly bias because the X Box has amazing graphics and Halo and the PS2 has a LARGE library of games and a lot of rpgs and Gamecube looks like a purple lunch boxes and has what may be the most ridiculous controller I?ve ever used it?s so uncomfortable. But then again I respect Nintendo for helping to mainstream Video Gaming in America and for Having the Zelda series and not selling it out. Anyways back to the matters at hand). If you remember, it?s been a while back now, but Nintendo said they where gonna have out the first console blaming the lack of initial success of the Gamecube on the fact that it was out last, way behind the other consoles. And so now that everyone else has told you ?everything?( yes I know they didn?t tell you everything but they sure told you a lot!) that Nintendo or more specifically the unveiler himself Satoru Iwata (President of Nintendo mind you) would just show there prototype machine. Ya after all this time a PROTOTYPE! Very disappointing but I suppose that?s there way of letting you know that yes Nintendo is still around and not putting all your eggs in one basket and so when they release actual Revolution stuff you?ll be so suppressed that you?ll forget about everyone else. Oh ya and before you start ?hating? or what every you kids are sayin these days (no I?m not one of the cool kids T_T) understand that I do not hate Nintendo I am just disappointed at there recent lack of force in the oncoming console wars. I mean ya can?t just take it as it comes Nintendo, Microsoft and, especially, Sony are very serious competitors!

• 3 weeks later...
Okay well seeing that this thread kinda, well died. I felt like posting again, and well I would like to know (if any of you know) where I could find a link or if you have one to the press briefing video for the ps3, I would like to see it.

Oh and I do agree with what the last poster said, the revolution does need to step it up a bit because they are dealing with some really big compitetors(sp?).

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Kni7es']Another interesting thing I found in the "Console Wars" was that the next-gen consoles would in fact switch rolls. By this, I mean where the PS2 was supposed to have more and better games to overcome the Xbox's superior hardware, the 360 is lined up to have the better games to overcome the PS3's superior hardware.[/quote]

There's not much of a switch in roles, really unless you want to say that Microsoft is releasing a weaker system first while Sony is releasing a more powerful one soon thereafter. But, even then you would be grasping at straws because it doesn't seem like there's a huge difference between the two in terms of power since they both hold advantages over one another. There won't be much of a noticeable difference between the two during the first few years of their lifespans--and even afterwards I doubt that the Playstation 3 will completely obliterate the 360. When third party developers created multi-platform games this generation, they were often very similar across all platforms. Despite the Xbox having a power advantage over the GameCube and the Playstation 2, it was rarely used. This is the same stuff we've been over before.

Sony's had the ability to attract third parties for years and Microsoft was able to enjoy great third party support with the Xbox. It'll be interesting to see how third parties react to all three systems this time around, considering the differences between them.

[quote]In the end, I'm a diehard Bungie fan, not a Microsoft fan. I hate Bill Gates' guts passionately, more than most of you, probably, but I'm still getting the 360 for my Halo 3. And yes, there will be a Halo 3, I was the guy 4 years ago no one listened to when Bungie started throwing out hints for Halo 2.[/QUOTE]

What a controversial statement! Halo 3! You don't say!

Yeah, Nostradamus, no one saw Halo 2 coming but you.

And you're right. I don't hate Bill Gates at all. I have no reason to.

• 6 months later...
[url]http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181503968[/url]

[url]http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ncl=http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/03/15/sony-playstation-delay-cz_km_0315playstation.html[/url]

[url]http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=335[/url]

The Playstation 3 has been delayed for six months. The release has been pushed to November because of copy protection issues for its DVD player and, (or) insufficient development kits. Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., attributed the revised scheduled to delays in standardization of the Blu-ray Disc format and to the inclusion of next-generation high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) specifications.

Wow. I really believe that this will make the race between Nintendo and Sony even closer. What do you think? Will this delay hurt or help Sony in the Next-Gen gaming wars? Will the Blu-ray help or hurt Sony?

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]It all depends.

If Sony uses this time to actually work out the bugs and make their consoles more durable than a wet paper bag, than this will probably help. If it comes out in November, than it'll still be new and exciting by Christmas, which will definatly boost sales.

However, if they screw everything up and launch a fault product, people will turn to the redily available Nintendo Revolution (Isn't that slated to release around the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong). The Revolution will doubtless be cheaper and, in my opinion at least, superior in terms of quality (see: not breaking every god damn time you spill a bottle of coke or shoot it with a shotgun or something...), and just generally more fun. If that is the case, the PS3 could flounder completely. But realistically, the whole thing hinges on wether people take to the new Nintendo controlers - because if they don't there won't be a contest.

And, like I said, I hope they took a lesson from Nintendo and make their product durable and reliable on launch, rather than just casually releasing new models the year after everyone hates them.[/COLOR][/FONT]

This is a good thing; They can Playtest it and do the proverbial "Ironing out the Wrinkles" before it's released. People may complain cause they think it'll mean that the 360 will ahve the edge but there is one thing........ "THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!"

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think this delay was inevitable. I don't even regard it as a delay as such - I think the Spring release originally announced was ridiculous and obviously not possible in the first place. lol

Even despite the Blu-ray issue, I seriously doubt that Sony would have had much software ready for a Spring launch. And I doubt that they'll have a huge amount ready for November - although hopefully more than they had with the PS2 launch.

All-in-all, I think this is good news for Sony. Better to get the product correct than to rush out a sub-standard machine. There are still many issues with PS3 (cost being the major factor), but at least now I think we're seeing Sony doing [i]something[/i] right with this thing.[/font]

i would have to agree with everyone, the design of the ps3 is pretty bad but as you know with the ps2 they made that slicker and more pleasing to the eyes (even though it took them a while). anyways personally i cant wait because i want to know how it is. :animesmil weeeee! :catgirl: ...... ill go now :animeshy:

[b]PS3[/b] [b]Official Thread [/b]
Pictures, specs, games, videos, FAQ, speculation and discussion of the Playstation 3.

[b][color=#FFCC33][size=17]NEWS[/size][/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]

? [url=http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/20/virtua-fighter-5-for-ps3-confirmed/][b]Virtua Fighter 5 for PS3 confirmed[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](1/21/06 @ joystiq.com)[/color]
? [url=http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/03/sony_says_no_ps3_announcement/][b]Sony: No PlayStation 3 announcement at CES 2006?[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](1/3/06 @ tgdaily.com)[/color]
? [url=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=30445&mode=thread&order=0][b]Sony Claims PS3 Still On Track For Spring 2006 Launch[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](12/9/05 @ Worthplaying.com)[/color]
? [url=http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3146281&did=1][b]J. Allard and Kaz Hirai discuss PS3, Xbox 360 and the next generation of consoles[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](12/14/05 @ 1UP.com)[/color]
? [url=http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/shadow-of-the-colossus/shadow-of-the-colossus-2-going-to-ps3-142380.php][b]Shadow of the Colossus 2 Going to PS3?[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](12/12/05 @ Kotaku.com / EGM)[/color]
? [url=http://www.betadot.com/sony-to-present-ps3-at-ces/2005-347/][b]Sony to Present PS3 at CES[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](12/2/05 @ 1UP.com)[/color]
? [url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/672/672359p1.html][b]Zero Point's Project IM - Movie & Screenshots[/b][/url] [color=#CCCCCC](11/29/05 @ IGN.com)[/color]

[b][color=#FFCC33][size=17]PICTURES[/size][/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]

[url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_14.jpg][img]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_14.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_15.jpg][img]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_15.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_17.jpg][img]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_17.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_16.jpg][img]http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050721/scei2_16.gif[/img][/url]
All 3 next to eachother, sexy white, and a better shot of the analog sticks which look a little shorter no?

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/e3-2005-playstation-3-pics-20050518113522253.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/bc786e51.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/e3-2005-playstation-3-pics-20050518113521550.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/e10034a5.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/e3-2005-playstation-3-pics-20050518113520847.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/25e32907.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img268.echo.cx/img268/6422/conceptcontroller0sg.jpg][img]http://img7.echo.cx/img7/3873/controllerthumb0ds.jpg[/img][/url]
Notice the small sign in the last picture above.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/6c5e5e2d.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/2d9c6258.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/4d10141c.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/a33a43d8.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/1ade001c.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/854390c8.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/3b6f54f7.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/9f889fa1.jpg[/img][/url]
3 different colors from the get go. Not too bad.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/765a323a.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/9ed38a73.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/7491157e.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/c071b704.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/7a6d253a.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/a328c91a.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/4257c511.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/ccffe017.jpg[/img][/url]
That's a lot of plugins.

[url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai03.jpg][img]http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai03.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai07.jpg][img]http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai07.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai05.jpg][img]http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai05.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai08.jpg][img]http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai08.gif[/img][/url]
Some shots from E3 (off Japanese website).

[url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050517/sce108.jpg][img]http://img128.echo.cx/img128/3238/thumb018zf.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050517/sce103.jpg][img]http://img46.echo.cx/img46/1967/thumb022gr.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050517/sce105.jpg][img]http://img46.echo.cx/img46/586/thumb034xl.jpg[/img][/url]
Notice the small (USB?) port in the back of the controller.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/ea27f12a.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/devkitth.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/f7bd7e19.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/rsxchipth.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/PSComparison2.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/Thumbs/contsizeth.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]1st Shot:[/b] Believed to be the (first) dev kits for the PS3; [b]2nd Shot:[/b] Believed to be the RSX chip; [b]3rd Shot:[/b] A diagram showing a [i]possible[/i] size comparison

[quote name='"Nephtes (who attended E3)"']...the PS3 controller is MUCH smaller than the pictures make it look to be. I do believe I could easily snap it in two while holding it gently in my hands.[/quote]

[b][color=#FFCC33][size=17]SPECS[/size][/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]

[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html]Tech Specs[/url]
[url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai02l.gif]Chart 1 (gif)[/url]
[url=http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0518/kaigai01l.gif]Chart 2 (gif)[/url]
[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614783p1.html]PS3 vs. 360[/url]
[url=http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_headline]PS3 vs. 360 - In depth[/url]

[b]Processor- Developed by IBM/ Toshiba/ Sony[/b]
- "Cell Processor" (234 Million transistors, 90nm)
- PowerPC--Base core 3.2GHz
- 7x SPE 3.2GHz
- 512KB L2 Cache
- 7x 256KB SRAM for SPE | Firm hardware level security
- 2.18 TeraFlops [color=#CCCCCC](My eyes! The flops they do nothing!)[/color]

[b]Graphics- Developed by Nvidia[/b]
- RSX "Reality Synthesizer" @550MHz (300 Million transistors, 90nm)
- 100 billion shader operations per second
- Multi-way parallel FP shader pipelines
- Independent Vertex/ Pixel Shaders
- Full HD Resolution: (2000x1000) 2x channels
- Up to 1080p (progressive)

[b]Memory[/b]
- 256MB XDR main RAM @3.2GHz
- 256MB GDDR3 V-RAM @700MHz
- Detachable 2.5" HDD slot

[b]Bandwith[/b]
- 25.6GBs XDR memory bandwith
- 22.4GBs V-RAM bandwith
- 20GBs(write) + 15GBs(read) for RSX
- 2.5GBs(write) + 2.5GBs(read) for SB

[b]Communication[/b]
- GigaBit Ethernet (External 1x, Internal 2x)
- Built in Wi-Fi 802.11 b l g
- Bluetooth (Up to 7 controllers)

[b]Disc Media[/b]
- Playstation | Playstation 2 | Playstation 3
- CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RWSACD, DualDisc
- SACD, DualDisc
- DVD-VIdeo, DVD-ROM, DVD-R
- DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW
- Blu-ray video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
- 2.5in removable Hard Drive (Unknown Size)

[b]Digital Media[/b]
- Digital Audio
- Digital Video
- Digital Photograph
- Computer Entertainment
- Video Communication
- Internet Access

[b]More Specifications[/b]
- USB 2.0 port (front 4x, rear 2x)
- Memory Stick, SD card slot 1x
- CompactFlash Slot 1x
- HDMI (Digital Audio/Video) output 2x
- AV Multi Output 1x
- Digital Audio Output (SPDIF) 1x

[b][color=#FFCC33][size=17]GAMES[/size][/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]
[list]? Tekken (working title) - [i]Namco[/i]
? Killzone (working title) - [i]Guerilla[/i]
? Vision Gran Turismo (working title) - [i]Polyphony Digital[/i]
? Motor Storm - [i]Evolution Studios[/i]
? Formula One (F1) -[i] Sony Liverpool[/i]
? Untitled Old West Game (Probably/Possibly Red Dead Revolver) - [i]Rockstar[/i]
? Ni-Oh (Oni) - [i]Koei[/i]
? Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World - [i]Bandai[/i]
? Devil May Cry 4 - [i]Capcom[/i]
? Metal Gear Solid 4 - [i]Kojima Productions[/i]
? EYEdentify Voice Recognition Game - [i]SCEA[/i]
? Fifth Phantom Saga - [i]Sega[/i]
? Heavenly Sword - [i]Ninja Theory[/i]
? Warhawk - [i]Incognito[/i]
? Killing Day - [i]Ubisoft[/i]
? Fight Night: Round 3 - [i]EA Sports[/i]
? The Darkness - [i]Magesco[/i]
? 6GUN II - [i]BattleBorne Entertainment[/i]
? Avalon - [i]Climax Studios[/i]
? Dark Sector - [i]Digital Extremes[/i]
? Final Fantasy PS3 (working title, likely XIII) - [i]Square Enix[/i]
? The Getaway PS3 (working title) - [i]SCE Studios Soho[/i]
? I-8 - [i]Insomniac Games[/i]
? Infraworld - [i]Quantic Dream[/i]
? Omikron 2 - [i]Quantic Dream[/i]
? Endless Saga - [i]Webzen[/i]
? Possession - [i]Blitz Games[/i]
? Project Delta - [i]Playlogic International[/i]
? ShadowClan - [i]Tiger Hill Entertainment[/i]
? Resident Evil 5 - [i]Capcom[/i]
? Lair - [i]Factor 4[/i]
? Genji - [i]Game Republic[/i]
? Project Force - [i]From Software[/i]
? L.A. Noire - [i]Team Bondi[/i]
? Untitled DC Comics MMORPG - [i]SCE[/i]
? Alan Wake - [i]Remedy[/i]
? Theseis - [i]Track7 Games[/i]
? Untitled Project - [i]Idea Factory[/i]
? Stranglehold - [i]Midway[/i][/list][b]Other titles confirmed for next-gen release but not necessarily for the PS3:[/b] [i]2 Days to Vegas, 211, Dirty Harry, Alan Wake, Indiana Jones, Metronome, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Project New Jersey, Psychopath, Section 8, Spider-Man 3, Stranglehold, Theseis, Tracer, Unreal Tournament 2007, WarDevil - Unleash the Beast Within, Untitled Epic Games Project, Untitled Spark Unlimited Project, Untitled tri-Crescendo Project and King Kong.[/i]

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/p-3.html]Games coverage @ Gamespot[/url]
[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/618/618430p1.html]Games coverage @ IGN[/url]

[b][color=#FFCC33]VIDEOS[/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=8347&type=mov]MGS4: Guns of the Patriots[/url]
[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6904&type=mov]Resident Evil 5[/url]
[url=http://ps3.ign.com/e3/2005/videos/]Over 30 PS3 videos @ IGN[/url]

[b][color=#FFCC33]FAQ[/color][/b] [color=#CCCCCC][/color]

[b]When is the system launching?[/b][list]Sony is currently quoting a Spring 2006 launch. Whether this is the timeframe for the Japanese launch only, the North American launch or a worldwide release is unknown. Sony's past products have been launched in Japan first, North America roughly six months later and then Europe and the rest of the world sometime thereafter.[/list][b]How much will the PlayStation 3 cost?[/b][list]Unknown at this point, though Sony guru Ken Kutaragi has stated that "It will be expensive" -- so it will almost certainly be more than the sweet-spot launch price of $299. In a recent interview with Japanese economic website Tokyo Keizai, Kutaragi said the company wants "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."[/list][b]What ports and external connections will the PlayStation 3 have?[/b][list]A whole crapload. There are six USB 2.0 ports, four on the front and two on the back. It has slots for Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards. There are also three wired gigabit Ethernet ports, an optical port for audio, a multi-AV connector and two HDMI ports.[/list][b]How is the new controller different from the PS2's Dual Shock 2 controller?[/b][list]Sony hasn't released a whole lot of information about the gamepad just yet, but as you can see in the photos, the layout of the button and analog sticks basically seems to be the same as the Dual Shock 2 (though the overall design is quite different). We do know that the default controllers for the PlayStation 3 will be wireless. They can be recharged via any USB port, including those on the system itself. Rather than using 2.4GHz RF signals, the controllers will employ Bluetooth 2.0 technology. PlayStation 3 will support up to seven players wirelessly.[/list][b]Will the current Dual Shock 2 controllers be compatible with the PlayStation 3?[/b][list]Not without some sort of adapter. Sony is no longer using the old controller ports and connectors, so the Dual Shock 2 simply won't be able to be plugged in. No official word has been given either way.[/list][b]Will the PlayStation 3 come equipped with a hard drive? How big will it be?[/b]
[list]Sony will make a hard drive available for the PlayStation 3, but it will be a separate add-on. It will be a 2.5" removable drive, allowing you to transport large files and swap it out for other drives for more space. Additionally, the drive will come with a version of Linux pre-installed, thereby making the PlayStation 3 a full-fledged PC as soon as the HD is installed.Sony has not yet announced a size for the drive, though it's basically hinted that it will increase the capacity of available drives for sale over time.[/list][b]What kind of disc drive will the system use?[/b][list]Sony announced some time ago that the PlayStation 3 will make use of Blu-ray technology. Sony and Toshiba had been in talks to combine the competing Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats into a single standard, though those talks have been disbanded. The drive itself will be slot-loading.[/list][b]What other sorts of storage options will be available?[/b][list]Memory Stick (standard and Duo), SD and CompactFlash. It's also likely (but unconfirmed) that the PlayStation 3 will further allow you to natively use USB flash drives.[/list][b]Who is supplying the hardware?[/b]
[list]IBM, Toshiba and Sony are supplying the Cell processors, while NVIDIA is handling the graphics processor.[/list][b]What sorts of video connections will be available?[/b][list]Composite, S-Video and component are all possible via AV cables, but for the best image quality possible the system also employs two built-in HDMI connections. The PlayStation 3 is capable of displaying two video feeds simultaneously via HDMI, though it's unknown if you can mix-and-match HDMI with a standard AV output.[/list][b]What sort of surround sound support will the PlayStation 3 have?[/b]
[list]For in-game audio, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS are all supported and processed by the Cell. Keep in mind, however, that since all the audio processing is done by the Cell, developers could use or create whatever audio codecs they desire.[/size][/list][b]What kind of audio connections will be available?[/b]
[list]Analog stereo and optical audio output.[/list][b]Will the PlayStation 3 have camera functionality?[/b]
[list]The PlayStation 3 will boast an HD IP (High-Definition Internet Protocol) Camera that's essentially the next generation of the EyeToy. The new camera will capture images that match the same screen output as the PlayStation 3 and will work off an Internet address so that it can be used anywhere in the world for use in independent web-cam broadcasts.[/list][b]What sort of network connections will be available? Does it feature WiFi?[/b]
[list]Yes, the system supports 802.11b/g. It also has three gigabit Ethernet ports.[/list][b]What titles are expected at launch?[/b][list]Launch details have not yet been revealed[/list][b]Will the PlayStation 3 use the same network setup as the PlayStation 2?[/b][list]No, Sony confirmed at an E3 2004 press conference that it is currently working towards a new universal networking hub, which in no uncertain terms is similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live. Specifics about how that network will work (outside of confirmed peer-to-peer in-game item swapping) are still unknown.[/list][b]Will it be backwards compatable?[/b]
[list]Yes. Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will be almost entirely compatible with PlayStation 2 and PSOne software. Games that do not work have not been disclosed.[/size][/list][b]Will PlayStation 3 be compatible with the PSP?[/b][list]Sony has stated on numerous occasions that its PlayStation Portable will connect to the PlayStation 3 via USB and wireless connections.[/list]

[b][color=#FFCC33]OTHER[/color][/b]

Oh yeah... And yes the [i]current[/i] Playstation 3 font is the Spiderman font, so there's no need to bring it up for the millionth time. This is quite the unfortunate event. Let's hope they change it back to the regular Playstation font we've grown to love.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/4f2fc3fe.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Magick0ne/Penny%20Arcade/PS3%20Thread/5cfc53a6.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...
Did anyone see the conference today? Sony announced that they will release two versions. One will have a 20 gig drive and will retail for $499; the other will have 60 gigs and retail for $599. This was pretty much expected by anyone who knew anything.

They also unveiled the Dual Shock 3 that has six degrees of motion-sensing movement. There's no acceleration. You can move it up and down, you have pitch and yaw and roll movement and it's wireless. It uses bluetooth technology but won't allow the full 3D movement that Nintendo's controller does. You'll just be tilting it. It seems somewhat awkward and unintuitive based on the Warhawk demonstration. The funniest part of all is that they claimed to be innovators because of this. Granted, the Wiimote is far more advanced and quite different in execution, but it's clear where they got the influence from. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hopefully we'll see some good uses come out of it at least.

Edit: Also there will be no vibration in the controller. But the big news is that from what I'm reading the basic package will also lack WiFi, HDMI, and there will be no memory stick slot. So, that basically makes the basic package very undesirable. Unlike the Xbox 360 core package, it can't be upgraded. So, if you buy the Playstation 3 core package and want premium features, it looks like you'll have to buy a new system. That's how I interpret it thus far.

[font=franklin gothic medium]I was really hoping for more. The games shown were mostly uninteresting, save for a few key titles.

The controller stuff...well, this is why Nintendo said they wanted to wait before they revealed the Wii controller. Now it's clear for all to see, lol. Sony's added this very basic functionality (while simultaneously removing force feedback) at the last minute...I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. It's certainly a very pale imitation of what Nintendo are doing.

In terms of the packages, I'm even disappointed there. The price is about as high as most were expecting but the "core package" comes without some absolutely critical features. It's not like they're even skipping on an add-on hard drive or something...they are really skipping critical components.

So far it seems that PS3 is just all over the place. Sony is very confused at the moment, lol.[/font]