OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

[SIZE=4]600[/SIZE]Dollars what the @#$! IS SONY THINKING. i've been a sony fan since the playstion or PS one which ever you want to call it and this is how they thank the fans of sony by bring out a system most normal people can't afford. i got my hand on the ps3's spec's and really you not paying for much more. i mean blue ray if you already have a dvd player why rebuy al the same movies again. in fact their a rumor not every movie will not even be blue ray compatible. plus the ps3 controller will no longer have a rumble feature. instead it will have a tilt feature that only work's with a few of it's games. so far the only redeeming thing most people talk about is the fact that it's part computer a [B]600 Dollar computer???[/B] but as sony said you not paying for price your paying for potential. :animeangr What a Crock no offence to anyone planing to buy one but i'll stick with my ps2 their are still alot great games for that and the price won't kill ya so pretty much all i have to say to all the people who are certain on buying a PS3 GOOD LUCK :wave: :confuse2:

...... Gee I wonder how much they'll sell a PS4 for :worried:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=AnimeHeroX][SIZE=4]600[/SIZE]Dollars what the @#$! IS SONY THINKING. i've been a sony fan since the playstion or PS one which ever you want to call it and this is how they thank the fans of sony by bring out a system most normal people can't afford. i got my hand on the ps3's spec's and really you not paying for much more. i mean blue ray if you already have a dvd player why rebuy al the same movies again. in fact their a rumor not every movie will not even be blue ray compatible. plus the ps3 controller will no longer have a rumble feature. instead it will have a tilt feature that only work's with a few of it's games. so far the only redeeming thing most people talk about is the fact that it's part computer a [B]600 Dollar computer???[/B] but as sony said you not paying for price your paying for potential. :animeangr What a Crock no offence to anyone planing to buy one but i'll stick with my ps2 their are still alot great games for that and the price won't kill ya so pretty much all i have to say to all the people who are certain on buying a PS3 GOOD LUCK :wave: :confuse2:

...... Gee I wonder how much they'll sell a PS4 for :worried:[/QUOTE]

:animestun
I bought my PS2, on hire purchase for around about that kind of price, and this is after they had been around for a little while. Around here, we're expecting PS3 prices to be upwards of about $1,200 and that's no typo. I guess it has something to do with how much your country's money is worth and all, but when I hear of a 600 dollar PS3 being chalked up as "exuberant." I don't know wether to laugh or cry!

Stick with your PS2, as I am most certainly going to do. Time and depreciation will do wonders for that price tag. :p

[quote name='AnimeHeroX][SIZE=4]600[/SIZE']Dollars what the @#$! IS SONY THINKING. [/quote]

well animehero, you have to take in what's going to power the machine.

- the [almighty] cell processor
- the graphics processor
- the physics engine
- the bluetooth connections
- etc.

what makes me think though is why dont they give people only one console? [60GB]

peace.

Leon.

Now: The Irony Of Dying On your Birthday
Artist: Senses Fail
Album: Let It Enfold You

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's still not really worth the money, unless you're a really hardcore gamer with a lot of cash. The technology doesn't particularly justify the price - especially if Blu-ray ends up with a sluggish start.

But Sony have suggested that they might end up making custom-built systems (to further confuse the issue, lol). Generally though, I think people are just going to have to wait until the price drops.

I bought PS2 on launch, but I won't be buying PS3 on launch. I doubt I'll buy it until at least the end of next year.[/font]

[color=darkred]The price is a major put-off, not just for those who are into the specifics of the PS2, and know all about its potential, but also for the casual gamers who are just looking for something to play. Regardless of who the target audience for the PS3 is, the price as it stands will definitely be an issue for some.

If I do ever get a PS3, the price will have to drop dramatically to what I would see as an affordable price for me. Though on the other hand, by the time the price does drop, I'll be able to judge whether it is actually worth getting. There's also the fact that not many of the launch games pique my interest to justify getting one right away, but the price is the main issue.[/color]

I will most likely buy PS3 when it has some great games for it that I really want (I'd imagine FF XIII and such), no sooner. I hope that the price has dropped by then (because there isn't any games to my liking revealed to be published alongside the console on the launch).

Before that, I'll settle with my PS2 with it's upcoming treats such as FF XII. ;D

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]As many people have probably said before, when I do get my own PS3, I'll have to wait until the price goes down because I'm he person that asks for donations from my parents! And I'm trying to be more responsible... I guess. :P

Anyways, I'm hoping that you'll be able to play PS and PS2 games on it because if it did, I would be able to sell my PS2 (though I don't want to.. ;-;) and then save money to buy it. It's more easier that way instead of having two of almost the same systems.

Although the only reason why I would like to get a PS3 is because of the FF games. I mean, Square Enix is following Sony and I love them so much, so yeah... I'll be like the cool people. XD[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Leon Fury]well animehero, you have to take in what's going to power the machine.

- the [almighty] cell processor
- the graphics processor
- the physics engine
- the bluetooth connections
- etc.

what makes me think though is why dont they give people only one console? [60GB]

peace.

Leon.

Now: The Irony Of Dying On your Birthday
Artist: Senses Fail
Album: Let It Enfold You[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's has all of those extra but do you still think that justifies a 600 dollar price tag. i mean think about when you were little would you ever think you'd pay that much for a gaming system? personally i'm from the SNES and Sega genesis decade so the highest i would ever go is $300 for any game system brand new. At least half the price of a PS3 and also think about this if the games aren't cheap either.so then alot of those features will go to waste. :rolleyes:

Take the X-BOX 360 i bet most of the people that bought the console off the bat couldn't buy a game for it right then and their they had to wait. and most of those launch titles weren't any good. especailly for the price of 60.00 bucks each now imagine how much PS3 games will cost off the bat sure you can buy the console for 600 dollars but could you afford alot of games for it then to. :blackeye: and trust me ive seen kids and parents wanting to punch themselves in the eye after seeing how much they spent.

Their was one thing that wasn't stated in the spec's manuel i found does anyone know if the Playstation 3 will be backwards compatible with old PS one and PS2 games?? cause what i also read and maybe a rumor from sony is that thing may not use CD rom games anymore and you might have to download andpay for the games like in x-box live service but i'm not sure that's it's a rumor. :animestun:

[color=red][b]Please do not double post. -Charles[/b][/color]

The Playstation 3 will be fully backwards compatible with the Playstation and Playstation 2. Although it won't use DVD or CD formats for its own games, it is still able to read those formats.

Also, expect games to cost about the same as Xbox 360 games.

In regards to whether the system is "worth it" or not, all I have to say is that from a technical point of view it probably is. But, the fact of the matter is that I really just want a game system and no game system is worth $600. Sure, Heavenly Sword looks cool, and I [I]really[/I] want to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I'll just stick with the Wii60 until the price comes down significantly. If MGS 4 ever comes to the 360 though, then the wait will be a lot easier.

I saw that heavenly sword movie and even though the system at that sale price will probraly tank. Heavenly sword looks awesome it would be great if they brought out a special PS2 version you know just for the people. that can't afford a PS3.

[quote name='Charles'] If MGS 4 ever comes to the 360 though, then the wait will be a lot easier.[/quote]

well Re5[Resident Evil V] has been announced for [U][B]BOTH[/B][/U] the Ps3 [B][U]AND[/B][/U] the x360. [this seemed relavent at the time]

I'm just waiting for heavenly sword to come out, which by some of my friends and the media are calling, the spritual successor to God Of War.

I'm also waiting for UT07, it looks pretty. I just hope gameplay will be the same.

[SIZE=1][one question though, is Atari or Midway publishing the game?][/SIZE]

I'm also hearing there is a wipeout game in the works.

.....if it comes to surface, that it is in development.....

it will be better than fatal inertia. [<- which I think is a ripoff of wipeout]

what still bugs me though is that killzone II trailer, actual gameplay or CGI cutscene?

But one of the rumours I really want to be confirmed as true is:

EA will be redoing the entire half life series for the Ps3.

if they are....*goes into excitement induced seizure* this will be the best EA published title since, burnout revenge.

there is also loose talk of another burnout game in the works for the Ps3.

dude. this will be the best computer / gaming console ever.

they also say that the Ps3 will run on Linux software. ^___^

Leon.

[quote name='Leon Fury]well Re5[Resident Evil V] has been announced for [U][B]BOTH[/B][/U] the Ps3 [B][U]AND[/B][/U'] the x360. [this seemed relavent at the time][/quote]

Well, yes, I know that but that doesn't mean anything. The Resident Evil series is developed by Capcom and has traditionally been multi-platform. The Metal Gear series has a multi-platform history, but it's a little more difficult to predict--especially considering the ending of the E3 trailer that really pandered to Sony at the end.

[quote]I'm just waiting for heavenly sword to come out, which by some of my friends and the media are calling, the spritual successor to God Of War. [/quote]

The spiritual successor to God of War is God of War 2. Heavenly Sword just seems to borrow heavily from God of War. They haven't really shown a lot so it's hard to say to what extent it borrows, but it's probably not a bad thing regardless. I like the mythos behind the game, with how the sword kills its handler--and how the main character is aware of this. Neat stuff.

[quote][SIZE=1][one question though, is Atari or Midway publishing the game?][/SIZE][quote]

Midway.

[quote]what still bugs me though is that killzone II trailer, actual gameplay or CGI cutscene?[/quote]

You have got to be kidding me. It's been known that it was CGI for a while now. Look how much stuff is going on at once and look at how real Playstation 3 games look.

[quote]there is also loose talk of another burnout game in the works for the Ps3.[/quote]

No big surprise; EA has basically made the series annual now, so Criterion has to keep cranking them out. And it won't be PS3 exclusive.

[quote name='AnimeHeroX']Yeah it's has all of those extra but do you still think that justifies a 600 dollar price tag. i mean think about when you were little would you ever think you'd pay that much for a gaming system? personally i'm from the SNES and Sega genesis decade so the highest i would ever go is $300 for any game system brand new. At least half the price of a PS3 and also think about this if the games aren't cheap either.so then alot of those features will go to waste.[/quote]

If you're 'from' the 16-bit era you may fondly recall the rather hilarious asking price of both the Saturn & the PSX. Over here it was £600 - more than the PS3 will be.

The price [i]is[/i] pretty much justified by the components inside the machine, Sony just made a boo-boo by going in the complete opposite direction to Nintendo & Microsoft. You might note Nintendo gave up trying to shove as much power into a machine as possible after the N64; MS never bothered doing it in the first place. Both have asked IBM (and other companies) to adapt existing technology for use in their machines, a very cost effective measure.

Blu-ray isn't even selling in volume yet, with Cell only being sold to enterprise and datacenters; so how can you possibly expect the console to even approach the prices offered by Ninty and Microsoft? The price will come down once the early adopters snap up enough units, until then Sony are probably trying to limit their losses, as it seems unlikely they'll break even on the PS3 initially.

[QUOTE=Red]If you're 'from' the 16-bit era you may fondly recall the rather hilarious asking price of both the Saturn & the PSX. Over here it was £600 - more than the PS3 will be.

The price [i]is[/i] pretty much justified by the components inside the machine, Sony just made a boo-boo by going in the complete opposite direction to Nintendo & Microsoft. You might note Nintendo gave up trying to shove as much power into a machine as possible after the N64; MS never bothered doing it in the first place. Both have asked IBM (and other companies) to adapt existing technology for use in their machines, a very cost effective measure.

Blu-ray isn't even selling in volume yet, with Cell only being sold to enterprise and datacenters; so how can you possibly expect the console to even approach the prices offered by Ninty and Microsoft? The price will come down once the early adopters snap up enough units, until then Sony are probably trying to limit their losses, as it seems unlikely they'll break even on the PS3 initially.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that see i don't live in england did you really pay 600 pounds for a saturn or platstation? and really sony could never justify the price for this thing. and as far as the sega genesis and snes era go's in the US they only got a high as 300 plus in some rare cases you got a free game with the console how come companies don't that anymore? it not like it would cost them to much.

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think that when you talk about price justification it depends on what angle you're mentioning. Yeah, Blu-ray is expensive and it makes sense that including it in PS3 would increase the price of the system.

But is that price justified to the consumer? I don't really believe so. Consumers don't care how much technology is packed into the box - asking them to pay for something intangible isn't going to make any sense to them. Consumers will only see value in that technology if it delivers something significantly different or better - and we have yet to see that.

It comes down to Sony wanting to shoehorn their own format into PS3, in an attempt to push Blu-ray into the market in place of HD-DVD. Unfortunately that has made the PlayStation 3 prohibitively expensive for most consumers, except the very small percentage who are early-adopters.

Perhaps Sony will cut the price in 2007, but who knows. It would have to be a significant price cut to make much of a difference to general consumers though.

PlayStation 2 and Saturn retailed for around $800AUD here. PlayStation 3 will retail for just over $1,000AUD here. That makes PlayStation 3 the most expensive new console in history; it is as expensive as a home computer. The lay audience probably isn't going to spend that much on a game console, especially when you consider that even $250USD is still considered too expensive for many non-gamers out there.[/font]

• 4 weeks later...
It looks like Sony may be stealing yet another idea; however, this time the theft was pretty much expected. According to EGM's Dan Hsu the Playstation 3 will be awarding their own version of Xbox 360 Achievements but will be calling them "entitlements."

For those of you unaware, "ahievements" are goals incorporated into Xbox 360 games that, once met, increase your profile's gamer score.

Also here is a link to a site that shows a size comparison between the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

[url]http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2006081195220737049&releaseId=20060314115917309058[/url]

• 1 month later...
[SIZE=1]For the love of all that is unloved, Sony are idiots. And annoying ones at that.

[URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm][B]European PS3 release date delayed...[/B][/URL]

Oh well, so much for a worldwide November release. Surely it's all but official at this stage that Sony are completely and totally useless. There's the 4-month-delayed EU release, and - apparently - they're only going to manage to dish out 400,000 PS3's for Autumn/Fall in the US.

Before this, I still had some hope for the PS3, but now there's no doubt about it. Nintendo are going to completely whoop them. Woo.[/SIZE]

[color=#8B0000]Haven't you gotten used to Europe getting screwed over and over when it comes to release dates yet? lol

As if having this news spread all over IGN.com and GameSpot wasn't enough, it was broadcasted on television news and managed to create much more of an uproar than Steve Irwin's death did.[/color]

[QUOTE=Dodeca][size=1]For the love of all that is unloved, Sony are idiots. And annoying ones at that.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm"][b]European PS3 release date delayed...[/b][/url]

Oh well, so much for a worldwide November release. Surely it's all but official at this stage that Sony are completely and totally useless. There's the 4-month-delayed EU release, and - apparently - they're only going to manage to dish out 400,000 PS3's for Autumn/Fall in the US.

Before this, I still had some hope for the PS3, but now there's no doubt about it. Nintendo are going to completely whoop them. Woo.[/size][/QUOTE] I think you're looking at this from quite the wrong point of view. Delaying the PS3's release date was probably the smartest and most benevolent thing Sony's done yet, and frankly, as an American, I'm quite jealous of your extended four PS3-free months.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, I havn't anything off this thread because truth be told, I'm not a huge PS3 fan (yes I know, smite me now) .... *is smote down*

Anyways, just thought I'd share some info with you - sorry if this has already been posted, like I said I havn't really read any of the past posts. Recently, I got a job at EB, and I have some stats for it's release date. Unless Sony changes the NA release date (highly doubted at this point), it will in fact be November 17tth (two days before the wii). However, the worst has yet to come. As I'm sure you all already know, only about 400 000 are being shipped to NA - this means that stores will be LUCKY if they recieve up to 10 consoles. I've been told that our EB is actually one of the top ones in Ontario, and we're only recieivng 6. Acording to my manager, thats more then most other retailers across NA - and yes, when I say that, I not only mean EB but EVERWHERE (I.e. futureshop, bestbuy, Game Stop, etc).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought you all deserved to know. Since no EB across NA will allow any PS3's to be pre-ordered by customers, this is what its going to come down to - At 8:30 in the morning on November 17th, we're going to pick 6 people at random out of the huge crowd and they're going to be the lucky recpients. My guess is that the same will be done across all of NA.

Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems as though Sony REALLY dropped the ball this time...

Yeah, that's pretty old news and most people here are Nintendo fanboys but I like having these threads kept as comprehensive as possible, so it is still a helpful post.

By the way, you Europeans should not be complaining. The Playstation 3 probably isn't launching until 2008 for me.

Hi I'm a n00b so this is my first post. Not that it's terribly important, anyway. as we all know Sony is evil, they currently own more controling shares of Hell than the devol. They've been stealing other companies concepts. Their concept for a motion sensitive controler even preceedes Sony's stealing it from Nintendo. In fact it was developed by pelican electronics years ago, you can check it out for yourself. And that control worked well, and even had a rumble fucntion!.

Also the 600 sounds great if you're into blue ray but as little as I care about blue ray it isn't a major selling point, unless of course sonny sweetens the deal by thowing in a hi def T.V. in the near future. Nitendo ()WNZ Them, Microsoft's360 will ()WN them with Bungie's Halo 3... the fact is, I'm saving my money for a console with more to offer for less money, and I don't just mean shiny graphics and disk space. Because all gamers truly care about... good gameplay. Some developers seem to forget that.

... That being said, I would love to see a new game in the Katamari franchise developed for the PS3 'cuz it would be HUGE!

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone's interested, here is an article on the features of Sony's online service:

[url]http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677[/url]

For those of you who are too lazy to read the article, here are some highlights:

[quote]Again, those familiar with Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 won't find this terribly surprising, but it's worth noting that the system does show you friend sign-ins and new messages received in overlays on top of the game you're currently playing - just little notification windows which pop up to tell you about something happening with your friends list. At present, however, there's no system for actually reading or responding to messages while you're still in the game, as the operating system doesn't take resources away from games in order to do that - however, according to Harrison, that functionality may well appear in an OS update, presumably based on whether users actually express a desire for it or not.[/quote]

[quote]Oh - and it's all free, too. The only place you'll be asked to fork over a penny is when you purchase something in the PlayStation Store - all of the online services, from sign-up right through to voice and video chat, are free, as is normal multiplayer gaming. There's no equivalent of the Xbox Live Gold account, where you're expected to pay extra for a further tier of services - the only things you'll pay money for are paid-for downloadable content, or subscriptions to premium services like massively multiplayer games.[/quote]

[quote]We're not going to talk in much depth about PlayStation Store, because what we saw was still undoubtedly being worked on frantically to prepare for the November launch. However, there are a few elements that it's worth talking about - the first of which is the Wallet, which lies at the heart of how you buy things on the Store. Unlike Nintendo and Microsoft's offerings, Sony doesn't hide the price of items behind an arbitrary "points" scheme - instead, everything simply lists a price in your local currency, so European types will see a Euro price, British people will see prices in Pounds Sterling, and so on.[/quote]

[quote]Alongside the free and paid-for game content, the store will also play host to a wide range of new titles developed specifically for download (the first of which, fl0w, was shown off at TGS - dozens more PlayStation Store exclusive titles are being worked on around the world thanks to an initiative which Sony launched at GDC last year) - and as Ken Kutaragi revealed at TGS last month, it'll also be possible to buy PSone and PS2 classics you missed out on, as well as a selection of PSP games, from the PlayStation Store, and download them directly to your PS3.[/quote]

[quote]Sony has some way to go before proving to people that it can do a comprehensive online gaming service. However, what we've seen is very promising. Account creation and management, buddy lists and various types of chat appear to be working just fine, the interface is simple and elegant, and the PlayStation Store, even at this early stage, looks like being one aspect of the service which will be a genuine improvement over Microsoft's offering, Xbox Live Marketplace - which is well-stocked, but has a terrible user interface that struggles to cope with the amount of content now available, and has only been marginally improved by recent updates.[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2] You know how you can store massive amounts of stuff [weather it be, photos, game save files, or music, etc] on the hard drive, I pose a inquiry:

If You Can Store Music On The Drive, Will It Be Availible To Play During a Game?

___

I mean could you think playing Resistance: Fall Of Man to Imagine By A Perfect Circle?

Or listening to The Prodigy's You'll Be Under My Wheels while driving in Need For Speed Carbon?

Or hearing Mr. Brightside [The Lindenburg Palace Remix] by The Killers, while play GTA IV?

*/rant*

- Fury[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]