OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

[QUOTE=NashvilleDream]As a side note:
One of my friends who is usually an exceedingly good source of right information, but also rather anti-PS said that the PS3s are overheating and not working anymore... does anyone know if that's true.[/QUOTE]

There could very well be the usual batch of defective consoles that'll be under a lot more light considering the limited release. The processor the PS3 uses runs extremely hot, so if the (bloomin' enormous!) fan was to be slightly misplaced or not working the console could easily fry eggs.

I wouldn't count on it being widespread as thermal problems would've been high on the testing list. Then again, I'd wouldn't put botching something else this year past Sony, either!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Red]There could very well be the usual batch of defective consoles that'll be under a lot more light considering the limited release. The processor the PS3 uses runs extremely hot, so if the (bloomin' enormous!) fan was to be slightly misplaced or not working the console could easily fry eggs.

I wouldn't count on it being widespread as thermal problems would've been high on the testing list. Then again, I'd wouldn't put botching something else this year past Sony, either![/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I'd say more than likely it's just a problem with a small patch of the first production run, I can't imagine Sony would risk the PS3's reputation by releasing an entire run of consoles with thermal problems. Wii is the media darling at the moment, so it would definitely not being in Sony's interests to make a screw up like that one.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I'd say more than likely it's just a problem with a small patch of the first production run, I can't imagine Sony would risk the PS3's reputation by releasing an entire run of consoles with thermal problems. Wii is the media darling at the moment, so it would definitely not being in Sony's interests to make a screw up like that one.[/SIZE][/quote]

Aye, that's true.

At the same time I doubt they wanted to be the ones who had to recall 10m potentially explosive batteries, or the company who took DRM too far via using rootkits, etc. Sony have made a right dog's dinner of their 2005/6 - which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if it went beyond a few of the consoles.

[QUOTE=Red]Aye, that's true.

At the same time I doubt they wanted to be the ones who had to recall 10m potentially explosive batteries, or the company who took DRM too far via using rootkits, etc. Sony have made a right dog's dinner of their 2005/6 - which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if it went beyond a few of the consoles.[/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Considering all the development/production issues with PS3, I will be surprised if we don't start seeing reports of significant issues with the first couple of batches. This certainly may not happen, but I just get the feeling that Sony has had its hand forced - it's been very rushed to get the system out on time. And being in that rush seems to be evident in the hardware.

That's partly why I'm waiting before I even think about buying one. I want to really see how things go for the next year or so, as they move into higher production numbers and we start seeing how the machine really performs in real-world circumstances.[/font]

Well people say it will have major problems first of all, all systems have problems when they are first released, my 360 broke down a little bit after I bought it, that's why when me and my brother both got a PS3 we sold them both, and second people say the blue ray is the major reason why it would have problems.

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]Actually, the PAL market is the world's fastest-growing market for videogames.

And within the next five to ten years, Europe is on track to become the world's largest gaming market - outstripping both Japan and the United States.

Europe is a good indicator of growth, especially when it comes to market expansion (ie: attracting new gamers).[/font][/QUOTE]

I just want to expand on this with some information from [URL]http://www.nintendo.co.uk[/URL]:

[quote]As the must-have product for the festive season Wii was an instant hit. Attracting vast crowds and selling out in stores all over Europe in just a matter of hours, a breathtaking [B]325,000 units were sold in the first two days making it the fastest selling home console in history[/B].

Demand for Wii has been so great that shops all over Europe had large queues forming outside for up to three days before the launch and hundreds of shops opened their doors at midnight on launch day to allow gamers to get their hands on Wii. After just one weekend on sale, shops across Europe sold out of Wii consoles and daily shipments are now arriving across Europe to replenish stock.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess proved to be a favourite for avid gamers, with 240,000 copies snapped up over launch weekend in Europe, representing 74% of all hardware purchasers. Wii Play was also a big hit with over 50% of people buying the game (which includes a Wii Remote) along with their Wii console.[/quote]

Also:

[quote]While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch, [B]Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week with 515,000 units sold across Europe last we[/B]ek, which is not only the highest week's sales since the console?s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo?s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe.[/quote]

I don't mean to convolute a Playstation 3 thread with Nintendo sales figures, but I think these numbers reinforce how important the market is in Europe and how Sony's late launch over there is probably going to cause them signficant problems this gen.

[quote name='James][font=arial']Considering all the development/production issues with PS3, I will be surprised if we don't start seeing reports of significant issues with the first couple of batches. This certainly may not happen, but I just get the feeling that Sony has had its hand forced - it's been very rushed to get the system out on time. And being in that rush seems to be evident in the hardware.[/quote]

Yep! One of the main things I've heard is creation & yield issues with that new blue laser they're using for blu-ray - makes me wonder if those problems will translate into something akin to the "disc read error" issues the PS2 faced.

[quote]That's partly why I'm waiting before I even think about buying one. I want to really see how things go for the next year or so, as they move into higher production numbers and we start seeing how the machine really performs in real-world circumstances.[/font][/QUOTE]

Same here, although if MGS4 was to become multi-platform I'd almost run out of reasons to get one. The most attractive point for me is being able to rip it to pieces and possibly use it for something else. Linux, maybe :D

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=Blue]We all now of thelatest problem sony has had to face. It's recent lose, was it's 'exclusives'. Devil May Cry 4, Ace Combat 6, etc, etc.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Devil may cry has now stretched to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Both consoles have the game set for a simutanious launch.

As for Ace Combat 6, I heard it isn't even for the PS3 now, it's for the Xbox 360.

So do you think the PS3 can survive with this onslught of brocken promises?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]For me, I don't.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]The PS3 is already failing in the great console war. With only a small shipmetn to the U.S, for such a large population? I mean come on, were they thinking straight?

Plus with the Wii having more sales than the PS3 and the 360 combined, the PS3 on't be bought massively.

I remember the PS2 had it's problems as well. Trying to find one, I found out they had to make more. It took a while, but I got one, and it was great.

But who knows about now. It could survive and become the greatest of the other 2, really it could. But I think that chance is pretty slim.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]What do you guys think? Will it survive, or will it fail? [/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]Personally, I've always seen the PS3 as a half-assed launch from the beggining. Saving their larger releases for the holiday rush against 360 is a foolish move considering they have more to lose, since Microsoft has had their system out long enough to establish their top titles already, their holiday titles add onto a plethora of big titles already where as the PS3 seeks to define itself with them.

I won't discuss the Wii, since they've been ahead for a while. Nintendo systems seem to have a way to keep appealing to their fans no matter what, though I personally believe the "wow factor" of the motion sensor will dissipate before long without a good amount of exclusive releases (which seem to be coming rather soon between May and June, Metroid Prime 3, MP8, etc) Though I also personally believe out of the 3 next gen downloadable content, the Wii virtual console is by far the best.

In any case, I've given the PS3 the benefit of the doubt many times. The future, however indeed looks bleak.

Another interesting tidbit while we're on the subject:

[quote=Emma Boyes, Gamespot UK]
[color=darkslateblue]
[i]One more platform-exclusive title may be going multiplatform, it has been revealed. The latest news appears to be that Square Enix's latest epic role-playing game, Final Fantasy XIII, may follow other titles--including Saints Row, Assassin's Creed, and Devil May Cry 4--that have now been announced as appearing on at least one other platform as well.

Sony Computer Entertainment France president Georges Fornay dropped the bombshell in an interview with French-language newspaper Les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace (subscription required). He said, "The development costs of games have exploded, and it has become more difficult to have exclusives, outside of our own games. But we have for launch day [in France] 30 games, including MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Virtua Fighter 5. Moreover, we are expecting 200 games [for the PS3] by the end of 2007...As far as Final Fantasy XIII goes, I can tell you that the exclusivity is in discussion."

Fornay went on to say that he believed that the PS3 would be particularly successful in France, and that there had been approximately 60,000 preorders made (compared to 40,000 made for the Xbox 360, and 75,000 for the Wii). France will be getting approximately 150,000 of the 1 million consoles allocated to PAL regions.

He also answered questions about backward compatibility for the next-gen console, responding to fears that the console would not support many PS2 titles without the Emotion Engine. Fornay said, "Now, if you ask me whether this was a blow to the launch, I would say that [Sony] would have done better to be sure that the console would be completely backward compatible before announcing it. But hey, when it becomes clear what the PS3 is capable of, gamers won't really fancy playing PS2 [games] anymore..."

Square Enix had not returned calls to comment as of press time.[/i]
[/quote][/color]
That's sure to get people talking.
[/FONT]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I disagree. PS3 may not dominate like PS2 did but it will still do well. With games like Home and LittleBigPlanet coming out there are still plenty of reasons to buy a PS3. Just not at the price it's currently selling at.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I disagree. PS3 may not dominate like PS2 did but it will still do well. With games like Home and LittleBigPlanet coming out there are still plenty of reasons to buy a PS3. Just not at the price it's currently selling at.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[font=tahoma]There is no denying the PS3 itself is a beautiful piece of machinery, even if you don't intend on playing a single game on it. But the price is definitly rediculous for any of it's features, that goes without saying. Sony is taking some pretty big hits though, not saying they are completely out of the mix yet...but 360 shows no signs of letting up (the original Xbox's mistake), and Wii's afforadable price and mid-year big name releases will be quite the combination to a system already leading ahead.

PS3 will need more then just a couple of games, IMO. But yes, most importantly a price drop.[/font]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]There is no denying the PS3 itself is a beautiful piece of machinery, even if you don't intend on playing a single game on it. But the price is definitly rediculous for any of it's features, that goes without saying. Sony is taking some pretty big hits though, not saying they are completely out of the mix yet...but 360 shows no signs of letting up (the original Xbox's mistake), and Wii's afforadable price and mid-year big name releases will be quite the combination to a system already leading ahead.

PS3 will need more then just a couple of games, IMO. But yes, most importantly a price drop.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]Usually the most pricy things aren't the best. So I agree.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]The Wii costs only $259.99. And it's really popular. After a year or so the price will go own and it probably will sell a lot more. It's just that way in our system.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

To be honest I don't really see where all the doom-saying is coming from, PC gamers such as myself have had to deal with losing exclusive titles for ages, Elder Scrolls Oblivion is just one of the most high profile ones.

At the end of the day multi-format is actually a good thing in my mind, at least from a consumers point of view. Nintendo fans were having strokes with Viewtiful Joe went from exclusive to multi-format and yet as anyone will tell you, the big N are still live and kicking despite overtly losing the last "console war". Multi-formatting makes games cheaper, as they can't be used to sell a particular console based on the awesomeness of the game.

I agree that Sony is in a troubled position due to ridiculously stupid marketing and PR strategies, a hefty price-tag both for the console and the games, and a barely mediocre line-up of the latter. That said, the thing with multi-format games has always been that the console that best converts the game will sell the most copies.

The PS3 is also miles more powerful than it's two rivals and that fact will probably show more clearly in time when some of Sony's biggest hitters, MGS4 for instance hit the shelves later this year. On top of all that, the PS3 was only released to Europe and Australia a matter of days ago, that's pretty much two more continents of consumers.[/size]

[quote name='ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=Blue']Usually the most pricey things aren't the best. So I agree.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Most decent PC gaming computers cost about twice as much as a PS3 and yet people keep shelling out to get them, or getting the upgrades to keep their own machines up to spec. Original cost is really only a relative thing compared to the long term life of the unit.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]
At the end of the day multi-format is actually a good thing in my mind, at least from a consumers point of view. [/size]
[/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]That's exactly it, from a consumer's POV. It could easily spell trouble if the price and convenience for a multi-platform big name were not in favor of the system. It wouldn't bother us, because so long as we get the game in a fashion that best benefits us we are content. Sony is going to have to appeal to to the consumer either in this form, which means lowering the price of their games or taking it a step further (where applicable) offer something special (i.e Knights of the Nine with Oblivion, despite the PC having the expansion out). The concept should be clear.

My attraction to the PS3 initially were due to it's big exlusives that I would gladly shell out the money for in order to play, mainly MGS4, FFXIII, Assassins Creed, DMC4, etc. Two of these titles have already been decided to be released multi-platform. So obviously, being a 360 owner it will be more convenient (and probably cheaper) to play these games on the 360. It would be considerably hard to find a reason to get a PS3 if even one of the other 2 (MGS and FF) go multi as well. But that's just my personal bias, I wanted a PS3 solely for specific games, where as i've always seen the 360 as a more reliable system for constant new releases of the obscure and popular kind. In the long run it's a stronger system in that aspect for me.

One way or another I'll probably find myself with a PS3 in the future, because I'm far too strong a Metal Gear Solid fan to miss out on 4, and the same goes for Final Fantasy with FFXIII. But aside from a few big releases, I don't see PS3 being reliable for the long term the way things stand at the moment. Sure, things can change...but the way things are now there is much that needs to be done in order to get to an ideal level. [/font]

[color=dimgray]I agree with BK here. At this point it does look rather bleak for Sony, but I've never been the type to count anybody down and out until the end. For me, like BKstyles, I don't really have any reason to get a Playstation 3 at it's current price. I mean there's MGS4, which could get more consoles to be sold and whatnot, but I won't buy a $500-$600 console for just 1 game.

And lets say Final Fantasy XIII actually do become a multi-platform release, I can't see Metal Gear Solid 4 holding up the Playstation 3 all by itself. Sure there's God of War 3 "supposedly" which I haven't even heard or read about. And then two other games White mentioned that I have no idea what they are. And then there's Heavenly Sword. Honestly, if they do ever come with a God of War 3, I think that would be the only game to actually help MGS4 keep sony in the running.[/color]

[quote name='Gavin']At the end of the day multi-format is actually a good thing in my mind, at least from a consumers point of view. Nintendo fans were having strokes with Viewtiful Joe went from exclusive to multi-format and yet as anyone will tell you, the big N are still live and kicking despite overtly losing the last "console war". Multi-formatting makes games cheaper, as they can't be used to sell a particular console based on the awesomeness of the game.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Multi-platform releases are definitely good for consumers, although I suppose it depends on the specifics (sometimes a game looks and functions better on the platform it was originally designed for - that is, if it's a port and not a "true" multi-platform release).

Having said that, I think that too many multi-platform releases is bad for the industry. In a way I think it's almost anti-competitive.[/font]

[quote name='Gavin']The PS3 is also miles more powerful than it's two rivals and that fact will probably show more clearly in time when some of Sony's biggest hitters, MGS4 for instance hit the shelves later this year. On top of all that, the PS3 was only released to Europe and Australia a matter of days ago, that's pretty much two more continents of consumers.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't know if I agree that PS3 is miles more powerful than its rivals, but I do agree that it's a bit far fetched to suggest that this system is going to be a failure.

In many ways, PS3 isn't a good move by Sony (from a business point of view). But the sales are looking good so far - not as good in some areas as people predicted and [i]better[/i] in other areas - and the release list is still pretty strong.

I think we'll have a better idea about where this system stands by this time in 2008.[/font]

[quote name='BKstyles']That's exactly it, from a consumer's POV. It could easily spell trouble if the price and convenience for a multi-platform big name were not in favor of the system. It wouldn't bother us, because so long as we get the game in a fashion that best benefits us we are content. Sony is going to have to appeal to to the consumer either in this form, which means lowering the price of their games or taking it a step further (where applicable) offer something special (i.e Knights of the Nine with Oblivion, despite the PC having the expansion out). The concept should be clear.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think this is absolutely true.

If every third party title were multi-platform, the differentiation between hardware platforms would be severely limited. In effect, first-party exclusives and price variations would become even more important.

At least Sony's first-party offerings are now pretty good. I think Sony's first-party stuff is definitely competitive with Nintendo and in some ways, superior to Microsoft's first-party offerings (particularly in terms of the quantity of high quality titles coming from first-party studios).[/font]

[quote name='BKstyles']My attraction to the PS3 initially were due to it's big exlusives that I would gladly shell out the money for in order to play, mainly MGS4, FFXIII, Assassins Creed, DMC4, etc. Two of these titles have already been decided to be released multi-platform. So obviously, being a 360 owner it will be more convenient (and probably cheaper) to play these games on the 360. It would be considerably hard to find a reason to get a PS3 if even one of the other 2 (MGS and FF) go multi as well. But that's just my personal bias, I wanted a PS3 solely for specific games, where as i've always seen the 360 as a more reliable system for constant new releases of the obscure and popular kind. In the long run it's a stronger system in that aspect for me. [/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, there are still a few exclusives that make PS3 attractive for me (at least when the price drops or there are [i]more[/i] great exclusives). But I don't think many of these exclusives will remain so forever.

At this stage I'm actually a lot happier with my Xbox 360. I can live without the few PS3-only games that may or may not end up being exclusive in the end anyway.

Still, as I keep saying - and as I stress everywhere - it's way too early to count [i]anyone[/i] out. If PS3 can continue its sales momentum (particularly in Europe), this will make a major difference to third party developers.[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[URL=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/779/779973p1.html]IGN Article[/URL]

[I][b]Sony Drops 20GB PS3 in States
Consumers favouring the high-end 60GB model, ten to one.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK[/b]
UK, April 12, 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment America has confirmed that its axing the $499 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 in favour of the far more popular 60GB model.

Although there are still 20GB versions available in stores, Sony won't be replacing them once stock runs out. "This is based purely on consumer and retailer demand, which favoured the ($599) 60GB model 10 to one," explained SCEA PR boss Dave Karraker.

For those existing 20GB PS3 owners, Karraker confirmed full PlayStation support will continue to be available. Furthermore, as is customary these days, Karraker also took the opportunity to take a swipe at Microsoft.

"Current 20GB consumers will still be 100% supported with software and services," he boasted, "since all PS3s have the same basic architecture. Unlike if Microsoft were to stop selling their Core system, which would allow publishers to actually use their hard drive for gaming purposes, leaving the Core user out in the cold." Oooh, get you.

The news is likely to be met with casual indifference in Europe, where the lower-end PS3 was never released.[/i]

Good news, perhaps, but it kills any plans of me waiting for a price drop to be even cheaper. :)

Aw crap, my fault Sephiroth, can you repost or re-edit your post again. I thought I clicked reply with a quote and instead clicked the edit function.

Wifi, that's being able to play games online right? I can't speak for everyone, but I'm one of those who don't play games online.

As far as your other question (which I edited by accident.... *curls in a corner*) I always thought the ps3 wasn't backwards compatable. (Since that's what I was always told) I never heard people talking about it's backwards compatability.

I have been looking at this for a while and I honestly want to ask if this console is even worth my time. I do not want a console that will burn out in 2 months as I have heard for the Xbox 360 Core system or whatever that was.

So basically, I just want to know if this is worth my time. Xbox 360 as well.

[QUOTE=Phenom]Aw crap, my fault Sephiroth, can you repost or re-edit your post again. I thought I clicked reply with a quote and instead clicked the edit function.

Wifi, that's being able to play games online right? I can't speak for everyone, but I'm one of those who don't play games online.

As far as your other question (which I edited by accident.... *curls in a corner*) I always thought the ps3 wasn't backwards compatable. (Since that's what I was always told) I never heard people talking about it's backwards compatability.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Wifi is being able to play games online wirelessly

The PS3 is backwards compatable with the PS2, though limited, not all games will work and there are websites scattered around that lists what games will and wont work

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a website that had a list of which Japanese PS2 games will work on a Japanese PS3, there are some Japanese PS2 game's I really want to get like Hokuto No Ken but need to find out if they will work on my PS3 before I order

Madhatter, I just wouldn't bother purchasing a 20GB model, you get a lot more space with the 60GB model as well as it being Wifi, you might not play games online now but in the future you might

As far as the PS3 goes I don't recommend people to buy one just yet, it's not the fact that they are expensive, there are just no good games out at the moment, and I doubt there will be any until winter this year, by then there will be christmas sales, so I would personally just wait
[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Snake'sLover18']yeah i think teh ps3 is pretty sweet but the problem is how pricey it is. and i am trying to save up for one. i am thinkin that i should wait a year or so untill they lower the price :animeswea[/quote]

It will be more than a year before PS3 drops its price.

And with the discontinuation of the 20GB model you are going to be waiting quite awhile for the PS3 to get cheaper.