OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

Well, the speculation is over; Nintendo has finally unveiled its next generation system in line with Microsoft's and Sony's announcements. Here are some images:

[url]http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897379&type=lg[/url]

[url]http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897381&type=lg[/url]

[url]http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897375&type=lg[/url]

Here are its list of features:

[list]The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it's displayed vertically or horizontally. [/list]

[list]Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more ... [/list]

[list]The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).[/list]

[list]Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.[/list]

[list]Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content. [/list]

[list]The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible. [/list]

[list]The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.[/list]

[list]Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo(R) Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. [/list]

[list]Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.[/list]

So, according to the information released, the Revolution is supposed to fit anywhere and bring together new games and old while giving people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. So, the revoultionary aspect is that it opens the world of video games to everyone.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Got some more pics at different angles.

The design isn't really anything special to me. Just a glossy black rectangle but I really want to know wat the controller will look like. But so far the PS3 and Revolution have blown the XBOX 360 out of the water. I'm looking forward to the retro downladble games. I might just get the revolution before the PS3.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I just finishe dwatching the press conference, and Im frikkin ECSTATIC! WOW! Not only does that thing look sweet, but it can play any console game! Also, my money is on a DS player similar to the GBA one. Wow. Im amazed. I can't wait to see what new characheters they bring to the table, and I can see myself playing Super Smash Bros online (for FREE) for hours on end. Screw 360, screw 3, I just want 2.

I'm not impressed by the appearance of the Revolution. Nintendo's system has always looked different from the others, but this solid black, sleek diesign reminds me of the redesigned playstation. Where is the color like in the Gamecube and the N64; every other system has turned white, but yet the Revolution loses it color and changes balck. They even sold out and went online like all the other systems. I keep on hearing that the main hit with the Revolution is going to be its new simple controller, but they still keeping it on the hush (touchscreen).

I'm going to buy all three systems, but I'm waiting on the summer price cut for the Revolution. I also want to know are these two attached pictures the actual systems (the PS3 and the XBox 360) or just a possible design?

[color=#4B0082]I like the design, myself. Nice and compact; about the size of an external DVD drive, looks like. Though I do prefer top-loading drives, I trust Nintendo's hardware enough that I'm not afraid of the self-loading drive scratching up my discs when they're inserted/ejected.

As for color, black is fine with me. Personally, I think the white of the PS3 and Xbox 360 is kind of ugly. I'll take black, gray, or some other color over white any day. Though I think this is kind of irrelevant, considering they're showing a variety of colors -- black is just all we've gotten pictures of so far. No doubt there will be at least a couple colors to choose from come launch day.

About the controller, I'm really curious about its design. Perhaps tomorrow, when E3 actually opens, we'll get a look at it. But considering how the Revolution is backwards compatible with GCN games, and will also be able to play downloadable N64/SNES/NES games, I doubt it's going to be [i]too[/i] drastic a change from the GCN controller. I'm guessing it will be new things added to the old, since it still has to work with all those old games, rather than a complete overhaul.

And speaking of which, that part still has me giddy with excitement. There's a lot of old Nintendo games that I've missed out on for one reason or another, so being able to go back and play them on the Revolution will be absolutely wonderful. And it sees like Nintendo is really going all out with online features this generation, so I can't help but wonder what else they have up their sleeve.[/color]

[quote name='Charles']So, according to the information released, the Revolution is supposed to fit anywhere and bring together new games and old while giving people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. So, the revoultionary aspect is that it opens the world of video games to everyone.[/quote][color=#737373]Nah, that isn't the revolutionary aspect. Nintendo revealed very little about the system at E3.

The revolutionary aspect comes in two forms; the controller and something else. The latter was hinted at, but not revealed.

Anyway, the design looks great, but it's only a prototype. Much like the DS prototype we saw at last year's E3, it is not final. The final version of Revolution will be even smaller, according to Nintendo.

Hells Fire, how on earth have Nintendo sold out by going online? That's ridiculous. If you pay attention to what they are saying, they don't intend to mimmick the online services of competitors - they intend to bring a fresh online system to the mix, with Wi-Fi being the core component. Revolution's wireless features go well beyond its no-line access.

Additionally, forget [i]all [/i]those rumors you heard about the controller. Just wait and see. It won't hurt. ~_^

In regards to controllers, the Revolution controller won't need to be similar to the GCN design. GameCube pads can connect directly to Revolution via a hidden area. See the link below:

[img]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2005/revo/large_img/revo_7l.jpg[/img]

Also, Hells Fire...those pictures in your post are indeed the final systems. PS3 may undergo some slight revisions, but that's pretty much it. Xbox 360's design is finalized. The only full-on "concept" we've seen so far is Revolution; Nintendo will unveil the final form during the year.
[/color]

I'm excited that the revolutionary aspect hasn't been revealed yet then; the fact that everyone has access to an entire history of Nintendo classics seems awesome enough to me. Also, the size of the console itself is even revolutionary. I prefer its simple, compact design over the PS3 and Xbox 360. rBut, if there's more--then that definitely peaks my interest even more. I assumed that the controller wouldn't be such a big deal other than the gyro technology. So, that should be interesting as well.

As for selling out by going online--what a silly criticism. I know James already argued against it but I think that taking the leap into online gaming was a necessity for Nintendo. They've taken heavy criticism for not giving gamers access to online multiplayer on the GameCube. So, if they decided to forsake such a fundamental part of modern gaming for a system they're calling the Revolution (at least for now)--then that'd be ironic to say the least.

Just a quick question or two from me.

Since I really haven't heard otherwise, Revolution has become the official name now, right? I don't think they've ever taken on their code name before, so I'm curious.

About these downloadable online games from previous systems, are all of them available free of charge? If so, there's no doubt that I'll be buying the system opening day.

Oh, and these other revolutions, with the controller and "other thing." When are we supposed to hear about these?

EDIT: How much do you know that you're not telling us, James? :p

[color=#737373]Revolution is still a code name, according to Nintendo. "Nintendo DS" was actually the codename for DS; Nintendo felt it was a good name and decided to keep it. Although it's possible that they will keep "Revolution" as the name, I doubt it. Revolution, as a word, describes an event rather than an object. So I suspect that Nintendo may have something else planned. But either way, we'll see how it goes; hopefully they won't take too long to say more about it.

As for downloadable games; I expect that you will pay for them. Nintendo said that people can use the online network to "purchase" any previous Nintendo game, which will be playable on Revolution. When you consider that many of these games are no longer in distribution at all, that's pretty good. I would not expect these games to come at full cost, of course. We'd probably be talking varying amounts depending on the type of game you're downloading, but I can't imagine these games costing more than pocket change.

In regard to controller and other things, I'm really not sure when we'll hear about them. Either Nintendo will wait for a big multi-company event (such as Tokyo Game Show), or they will hold their own. Some rumors suggest that Nintendo may be holding Space World this year, even though they haven't for the last two years. So who knows; it's a possibility. At the very least, they might have another media conference to share details. Or they will hold a summit. At this point it's anyone's guess really.

Satoru Iwata said that it's not [i]what [/i]you play, but [i]how [/i]you play, in reference to what makes Revolution so different. Part of that obviously revolves around the controller, which is going to be significantly different from anything people have been using up until this point. The second major aspect of Revolution is a bit more murky; it apparently partly relates to the interaction between console, television and internet. Satoru Iwata said that one of the new advancements in Revolution has "no direct bearing on gameplay", meaning that this other aspect is not directly related to the controller/input device.

Of course, [i]what [/i]you play is still a major part of the system. Examples like Nintendogs and Electroplankton are indicative of Revolution's philosophy as well as DS's philosophy; offering "hardcore games" (ie: Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy) while also offering new types of games in genres that haven't been experienced yet (ie: "media art" software such as Electroplankton).

That doesn't shed a whole lot more light on it, but it may at least get your imagination going. :animeblus [/color]

[COLOR=DimGray]Okay, so that looks really cool, and the whole 'revolutionary' aspect of downloading via Wi-Fi is really nice, and the system in and of itself looks very cool, sleek, and sexy. However, I'm not sold on any of the new systems yet, because a system lives or dies based on its games, and that's why I'm leaning toward Revolution in this upcoming '2nd Generation War' because of the fact that I can download, and have on my Revolution at any time, every Zelda Game ever made...Man, think of it. I haven't seen a lot of gameplay for any games on any of the new consoles, and that's understandable, because release is still a while off. However, I stumbled over something in EGM that I found very interesting about Nintendo (it's related to the whole 'console war' thing, and I really think it ties in well with everyone saying that the PS3's going to crush Nintendo and Microsoft.) I don't have the exact quote here, but it was from the newest issue, in the interview with Reggie-Fils Aime, about the Revolution and the Successor to gameboy (still has yet to be seen...) Anyway, it amounts to the fact that Nintendo will always be there, even if they play second fiddle to Sony or Microsoft. I just really like that, because I think that it's really uncouth and really just...stupid, of Sony or Microsoft to try and destroy gaming corporations (like Sega...) It's like this stupid machismo thing with those guys, that its a contest to shatter the third person in the arena at the time.

But I'm getting off topic. I'm looking forward to this next generation (even though my wallet is currently preparing for its walk down the green mile, aka the Electronics Section) I bought the Gamcube first in the last slew of the Next Generation Consoles, and, unless something really changes my mind, I'm going to probably buy the Revolution first in this slew of Next-Next Generation Consoles. [/COLOR]

I was going to comment on the idea of downloading games being the "revolutionary" feature because, if you watch the conference, it's very obviously not what they're referring to. That's been taken care of since I last read this.

That aspect does interest me. Xbox Arcade was a slightly similar idea, in a sense. People could download random little games. Of course, MS doesn't have access to Super Mario Bros. or whatever else, so Nintendo's idea trumps that automatically. I imagine any charge would be incredibly minimal, as James says. In many cases, I'd not expect over a few dollars for even the biggest titles on N64, honestly, considering it's basically just a ROM download.

Overall, the Revolution really is still an enigma, honestly. We really do not know much more about it beyond concepts. Most of the specs weren't revealed, the system shown isn't the final design, the name isn't final, we saw no controller, we don't know what the "unique" aspect of it is that Nintendo feels it can do better than PS3 and 360. That leaves us with very little.

It's a shame more wasn't shown about it. At first I found myself somewhat bitter about that, but now my brain just focuses on the fact that [I]only [/I]Nintendo talked of existing, current platforms. MS didn't. Sony didn't either, aside from showing a new FFXII trailer. The fact that they didn't somewhat bothers me, especially considering 360 is coming out so soon after the original. I feel somewhat burned by that as an Xbox owner, especially since they don't even have their backwards compatibility ideas finalized.

Regardless, the ideas of innovation and saving the industry somewhat fall flat when juxtaposed with talk of four upcoming Mario spin-offs. Considering we don't know what these games are going to look like or what exactly Nintendo is so damn confident about with this (even still) leaves me hopeful. This isn't the time to show it off, I guess.

The comments that have me most hopeful are from Square Enix, surprisingly. While I don't know that I care much about them making a new FF Chronicles game for the system using wi-fi, the comment gives the vague idea that they know a hell of a lot more about it than any of us even remotely do.

There really is very little Nintendo has to do to make their fans happy and win over some new people. A lot of it involves online versions of their existing properties, obviously. An online Revolution Pokemon game would be a strong release. The already announced Super Smash Brothers title for the system is huge as well, considering Melee is still the best selling GCN title. I guess I just have to have some faith and hope they actually do these things people want. It's possible.

And really, I look at MS's press conference and think to myself "Is this why I play games?" For me, the answer is no. I don't want a device that lets me buy music and videos and play them or know what I'm watching on TV or god knows what else. I don't want to pay some random idiot physical, spendable money for a design they made for my virtual skateboard.

I want to play video games. Consoles are slowly turning into entertainment PCs, not video game platforms. The fact that Nintendo is the only company stressing this idea of "Hey, this thing is about games!" makes me somewhat scared for the future.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']I want to play video games. Consoles are slowly turning into entertainment PCs, not video game platforms. The fact that Nintendo is the only company stressing this idea of "Hey, this thing is about games!" makes me somewhat scared for the future.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Wow, i was thinking the very same thing. X-box, especialy the new 360, and PS3 are looking to be pretty much computers designed solely for video games. Kind of like Alienware, but to an even greater extreme (and cheaper). I have friends that are already talking about hacking the new X-box with an OS. Unfortunately, that'e why so many people don't like Nintendo. I've heard all too often, "does Game Cube play CD's or DVD's? NO, it sucks." WTF!? It's one of the companies that are still making video game systems, meant for video games (as crazy as that concept is).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Ok after wathcing the Nintendo press confrence I've really felt left cheated. I still think that the Revolution has the Xbox 360 beaten but they could have done a little more for presentation. That was the time that Nntendo had to show everyone that they weren't gonna be left behind this generation and that they were taking the gaming indusry back but instead they did nothing.

They didn't show any feature for the Revolution except telling us that all of the older Nintendo generation games were gonna be available for download. They could have showed us how that was gonna work or something but they lefy us hanging and guessing how it would work. Next they hardly even powered up the system. He pluged it up and that was that. No on screen visuals, like the start up logo or even the menu screen.

Now the worst thing about this is that they showed no controller. That's the main thing that everyone has been guessing and getting excited about but they show us nothing. they might just be trying to keep us guessing but, come on Nintendo you want us to buy all this stuff but you ain't showin us nothin. Nintendo needs to come out of the closet with the Revolutionand don't pull any last minute chqnges. I love my Nintendo but their some of their uniqueness and secretiveness is gonna put a end to them.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#737373]I can't tell you how many times people have said that Nintendo is going to bite the dust in whatever generation. The same thing happened with GameCube; "Nintendo's focus on games-only will be the death of them", "having only four face buttons will alienate developers" and so on.

The primary reason that I reject such comments is because they are inaccurate. The GameCube business was solid and I don't doubt that the Revolution business will also be solid.

Also, don't forget one important thing. Nintendo first unveiled GameCube at Space World in the year 2000, around one year before the machine was scheduled to launch. Space World is at the end of the year - it was the first time we saw the system, heard the name and saw video demonstrations.

Think about what we have seen so far with Revolution. Revolution is due to launch in either mid or late 2006, yet we're already getting some details this early. Nintendo have said that the console we saw was a concept; they explained some more details, but they are holding the most important aspects of the system close to their chest at the moment. That shouldn't come as a particularly huge surprise; I am sure that we'll hear more in a matter of months.

Don't forget that there's still a while to go before these systems hit store shelves. Microsoft can afford to show more of their console largely because it's coming out in only a few months.

The focus of this year's E3 conference for Nintendo was DS Wi-Fi services.

So yeah, of course, I'd love to have seen more of Revolution. But just because they didn't show more at this one conference doesn't mean I'm ready to throw my hands up and declare them dead or something. That reaction just ignores too much.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I was also a bit disappointed that more of the Revolution wasn't shown, but like James was saying, it's not really all that surprising. Its launch is still a good ways off, whereas DS online play is coming this year. It makes sense that they'd focus more on the DS than the Revolution.

Really though, do you think showing the full, finished product off later than the PS3 will really effect sales? Once people see the final version, they're not going to be griping about not seeing it earlier. They're just going to know that they want it, same as they'll want the PS3. The launch dates are far enough off at this point that whether we see it a few months earlier or later won't make a difference.[/color]

[QUOTE=Purple Haze] Next they hardly even powered up the system. He pluged it up and that was that. No on screen visuals, like the start up logo or even the menu screen.

Now the worst thing about this is that they showed no controller. That's the main thing that everyone has been guessing and getting excited about but they show us nothing. they might just be trying to keep us guessing but, come on Nintendo you want us to buy all this stuff but you ain't showin us nothin. Nintendo needs to come out of the closet with the Revolutionand don't pull any last minute chqnges. I love my Nintendo but their some of their uniqueness and secretiveness is gonna put a end to them.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Powering on the system means nothing. It's over a year away, and they aren't done with it.

Some people forget that E3 isn't the only gaming event. TGS is another place where nintendo likes to reveal things. Microsoft and Sony will have only games for that show. Everything else was told now.

Uniqueness is what makes a console survive. Would you buy two consoles that were identical?

[size=1]
Hey has anyone here seen that fan-made Revolution 'Brain' controller trailer? It's slightly over 6 minutes long and looked so legit, lol. Had me fooled until I saw an article on it being fake about half an hour later..

[b]EDIT:[/b] So it [i]was[/i] just me then that fell for it, lol.. you guys lie through your teeth so bad ;p[/size]

I don't know why anyone would think that video was real lol. It was interesting, but it was also incredibly weird and the character designs were really off (not to mention their animation). To me it really smacked of amateur animation design right off the bat.

[color=#737373]I thought that video sucked, to be honest. lol

The design for the console was pretty awful and unrealistic and the "in-game" footage didn't look authentic in any sense. I mean, yeah, it wouldn't be easy to make; I think it's great in that sense. But in terms of being authentic? I wouldn't say it came across that way at all.[/color]

Guest juzzam
I was wondering, with the downloaded retro games where will you save them?
Maybe Nintendo are thinking of putting a HDD in the revolution.

[color=#737373]You'll save them on 512MB flash memory. I believe that Revolution will actually contain that memory internally (like a HDD).

Revolution will be compatible with various forms of flash memory, however. So you'll be able to go out and buy a 128MB (or as high as you want) flash card and save your files as well as your retro software.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy][B]I use to hate Nintendo fanboys/girls but I still in some ways, I have lost some of that hatefuliness because NIntendo absolutly sucked at E3. But there was only one reason Nintendo didn't suck, the new gameboy. The Revolution doesn't even have a controller yet, I piety you guys, for having a so far behind company in the gaming next-gen consoles.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Jin][COLOR=Navy][B]I use to hate Nintendo fanboys/girls but I still in some ways, I have lost some of that hatefuliness because NIntendo absolutly sucked at E3. But there was only one reason Nintendo didn't suck, the new gameboy. The Revolution doesn't even have a controller yet, I piety you guys, for having a so far behind company in the gaming next-gen consoles.[/B'][/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm not sure where to start with what's wrong with this. First off the new Gameboy was at the bottom of the chain, nothing more than a very small remake that i have absolutely no interest in.

Just because Nintendo hasn't released a controller to the public yet doesn't mean they don't have one, and definately doesn't mean they suck. It's just Nintendos way, they ussually don't reveal very much on many of their work until shortly before it comes out, which is actually a smart move, because it both keeps the customers guessing at what is to come, and it avoids unkept promises (Peter Molyneux comes to mind). Infact, Nintendo Revolution seems to be the most promising new system yet.

Your post was also very broad and generalistic. I like Nintendo very much, and have for some time. This doesn't mean all i want is Nintendo, i also have a PS2 and X-box. Simply liking Nintendo doesn't make someone limited to Nintendo (aside from the fact that Nintendo is quite good, and makes many excellent titles that are exclusive to their systems).[/COLOR]

[B]I think the free online play will have a major influence on sales. [/B] (of course they will add to there considerable fortune by selling us emu versions of Super mario / Monkey ball etc) the price point of the revolution will also be a major factor - it alwasy is. And who's is betting it's the cheapest on the market?- It alwasy is.

As Nintendo are a games company not a Technology (Sony) or software company (Microsoft) i can't wait to own another one of there machines, the only thing i'm undecided about is which of the other two to buy as well, i know the Sony machine will be cooler under my TV but the usefullness of media centre is an advantage. Ahh the fun of the fare....

With the large amounts of data that will be going through the servers of online companies I can't see the possibility of online play being free. The only free service will be XBOX Live Gold, Which you cannot play games with.