OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]lol @ John&RaR.

Alright, my friend that works at EBGames just told me yesterday that ontop of the 15 Wii's they allowed to be pre-ordered there will be 35 others available on launch day for those who didn't pre-order. So, I should be okay.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#4B0082]I figured that would happen. My local GameStop only had eight Wii pre-orders, which I knew couldn't be the total they'd get in at launch. Even if places don't do any more pre-orders I expect I'll be able to find a Wii somewhere in town without too much trouble.[/color]

I've never pre-ordered any gaming system.. I just go to the store a few hours before it opens, and have always gotten whatever system I was going for (N64, Gamecube, Nintendo Gameboy Advance)... so, why break from tradition. I usually just grab a friend with as little of a life as I have on that particular day (read: nothing to do that night), and we bounce to a local Target, and hit them up when they open.

Now, for the price, and the buzz, I'm expecting maybe a few more people there then the whole event probably calls for, but, meh.. I'm ok with that. Gives me a chance to enjoy some cool morning air ^_^

Anyways, I just hope I have enough cash to blow on all the addons that I'm sure I'll be all too happy to purchase. As for the games, Gamefly exists for a reason, so I will probably just pick up Zelda to start things off.

Best of luck to everyone who's going to pick one up~

Aaron..

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Oh I know. But I'm sure they'll have more than 10 consoles. Even if they have just one extra, it'll be enough since my brother is first in line. And if not I'm sure the Best Buy next door will have some. :)

I have to admit, though, I'm still nervous. Not having a pre-order doesn't guarantee I will get one so I'm a little bit anxious.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Also, there are three new Wii Experience videos at Wii.com.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Pre orders really mean zip nowadays though; just like what happened with the 360. I mean i do it anyway but having a preorder shouldnt calm your nervousness.

I remember Gamestop where i am was suppossed to get 40 360's since thats how many were pre ordered.

They got 8.

They were pissed, they refunded alot of money on launch day.

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Nintendo has a brand new Wii website located [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/]here[/url]. A few interesting things there.

[B]Release dates:[/B]
The Forecast Channel - 12.20.2006
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - 1.15.2007
Wii Play - 1.15.2007
The News Channel - 1.27.2007

But yeah, there's lots of neat stuff on the site. Check it out![/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=arial]Wii comes out on December 7th here (before Europe, amazingly enough) and I've already pre-ordered it.

Pre-ordering definitely has its advantages. Apart from (generally) guaranteeing a console, you also have the chance to start paying it off in advance. I've been putting more money onto my pre-order whenever I visit the EB Games where I reserved it. So when I finally go to pick it up, I should easily be able to buy another controller set (remote and nunchuk), Zelda and maybe another game as well.

Keep those impressions coming in, guys![/font]

[color=dimgray] As a heads up for anyone who wants a Wii but missed it November 19, Best Buy will be receiving 10-20 consoles and selling it this Sunday, and EB Games' shipment is selling Friday Morning.

It's not official or anything, but for now it's pretty much taken as true. [/color]

[color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Well as you play (insert Wii game here) and you swing your remote is there really a limit? You could be sitting in a chair just giving the controler a light flick of the wrist or you could be up and make a simple game feel like you are really playing ing. Yet as you do this, is there really a limit on how hard you can play?

[URL=http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/]Yes there is[/URL] My friend showed me this site today and after seeing how many problems that the Wii has caused (Be it that this people were flinging their Wimotes at very high speeds), is there any thoughs of showing restraint when you play? Some of these people have broken labtops, Televisions, and even windows. After seeing this it really makes me think of being more careful when I actuall get my Wii, and not go swinging it around like a madman with it.

Any thoughs?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Book Antiqua][QUOTE=Ikillion][color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
[URL=http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/]Yes there is[/URL] My friend showed me this site today and after seeing how many problems that the Wii has caused (Be it that this people were flinging their Wimotes at very high speeds), is there any thoughs of showing restraint when you play? Some of these people have broken labtops, Televisions, and even windows. After seeing this it really makes me think of being more careful when I actuall get my Wii, and not go swinging it around like a madman with it.

Any thoughs?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh! It could have flew into somebody's eye!

But, I say God speed to anyone or any electronics in the room while I play it. I don't have a Wii, but I'm sure my brother will get one by his next birthday.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][quote name='James][font=arial']I am amazed that this is even a problem. Are people putting butter in their palms before playing or something? lol[/font][/quote]

Thats just the thing, I really don't think its that much of a problem, its more along the lines of people who are just really...stupid. I mean its one thing to be moving around with the Wiimote as if you are playing the game in real life. However, its another thing to be completly out of control and swing the Wiimote at like.."Mach 1" Don't take it so seriously though, I just happened to come upon it and just found it funny in a bad way. When I get my Wii I will probably have my Labtop closed so this doesnt happen.

I really feel sorry for the guy who got his hand caught in the celing fan playing Bowling on Wii sports though ._.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][color=#d2b43b][size=1][font=Trebuchet MS][url="http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/"]Yes there is[/url] My friend showed me this site today and after seeing how many problems that the Wii has caused (Be it that this people were flinging their Wimotes at very high speeds), is there any thoughs of showing restraint when you play? Some of these people have broken labtops, Televisions, and even windows. After seeing this it really makes me think of being more careful when I actuall get my Wii, and not go swinging it around like a madman with it.

Any thoughs?[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE] Geez, and I thought including a wrist strap on the Wiimote seemed like a little too [i]much[/i] safety precaution. What the hell else do these dolts need, Krazy Glue?

[quote name='John]Geez, and I thought including a wrist strap on the Wiimote seemed like a little too [i]much[/i'] safety precaution. What the hell else do these dolts need, Krazy Glue?[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Laugh it up all you want! But it [i]will[/i] happen to you. It happened to me. The day after launch.

I (thankfully) had my Wii Strap attached and wrapped as tightly around my wrist as possible while playing baseball. I swung just a little to hard and next thing I know the strap is on my wrist but it's not attached to anything. The Wii Remote had flung right into the wall beside me, but didn't take any damage.

It's cool, though. Nintendo is sending me a new wrist strap. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

So, I laugh about these stories where people let fly their Wii-motes, and they crash into their television.. Honestly, my friends and I have gone to town on the actions involved with playing Wii Sports, never once having an incident, so.. I scoffed that this was actually listed as a problem..

That is, till I took it to a friends house, during an after-Thanksgiving Dinner party.. My buddy Paul was playing around with Tennis, and he just went to town swinging it around. Well, one particular time, it flew out of his hand, the strap broke (seriously, he was flailing around like a newborn baby that needs his bottle) and it flew into the wall.. After it hit the wall, it took a bounce towards the front door, hit my buddies dog in the back of the head, and skidded to a halt near the front door. It was.. an interesting experience, luckily, no broken TV or Wii-mote.

Plus, I gotta get a new strap now -_-
(btw, my 6 year old Nephew has NOT had a problem with letting go of the controller, and he's played it much longer then my 26yr old buddy Paul.. just saying)

I find these stories also slightly hilarious; We are talking about people swinging the wii-motes around at high speeds and are lucky that they haven't knocked someones block off yet. If they don't want to cause any expensive damage then they should just calm the (expelitivly deleted) down.

Like others here, I don't think I really started taking that "weak strap" thing seriously until I read some of these posts. :o I haven't had a problem, but then I don't think the controller has slipped out of my hand yet. Something to be extra careful about, I suppose.. However, I did slightly chip it in a couple places when I was bowling in Wii Sports, forgetting that there was a column behind me. Everyone should be cautious about how much these wiimotes will probably take quite a beating in years to come, and how in a few months we won't even care. lol

In other news, I'm very happy with my Wii so far! I picked it up at around 9 on launch day and have been [strike]playing it[/strike] wanting to play it ever since. :D Nah, I have had a lot of time to play some Wii Sports and Zelda so far, and actually ran through the packaged batteries after around 30-35 hours. You can't turn the remote on or off, so that can be frustrating at times, but it doesn't take too long to go off by itself if you leave it sitting there. Of course, you can save battery life by lowering the volume on the remote and turning off the vibrate, though I can't part with the vibrate after going so long with only wavebirds, and the lower volume seems to sacrifice sound quality.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play at all this week save an hour Monday night, mainly because finals are coming up so teachers are pushing the final workload. It's so frustrating, because I'm on the third doungen in Zelda and I want to plaaaayyyy! ;_;

The two games that I have played so far are Wii Sports (obviously) and Zelda, though technically I do own Red Steel as well. After hearing bad reviews, I told myself I would wait to open it until I played it somewhere else, and if I didn't like it I could just go back and exchange it for another game. I haven't gotten the chance to play it anywhere, however, and any secondary games I've been considering seem to be based more on taste than something like Zelda that people really have to get. Not that I expected another Zelda, but if you guys have suggestions I'd love to hear them.

One thing I've been thinking about is just turning it back in for store credit and waiting until another game comes out that I do want. In addition, I was going to sell my GameCube and some old games that I've gone through lately and believe to be of no lasting value to me. I bet the amount I can get for a GameCube, even one in good condition, has gone down a lot, right? Even so, I would like some money towards Brawl when that comes out, which I saw on 1up should be [strike]February[/strike] June 1st, and I was planning on accumulating four controllers by then too.

I like the way the Wii has done things so far. In terms to hardware, I like the controller set-up, being able to turn on and off the system by the remote, the retro system design, the design of the stand and how well it compliments the system, and the self-loading disc tray, to name a few. And in terms of software, the Mii is cool, and so are the Wii channels in general, also the classic games for download, the hard drive, etc.

Once again, yeah, I'm pretty satisfied so far.

[font=arial]Well, Wii launched in Australia yesterday and I was there to pick one up. I played it for a few hours last night and I thought I'd provide my general impressions here (especially for those in Australia or Europe who haven't bought one yet).

[b]Hardware:[/b] I was very impressed by the overall hardware quality - the system is tiny, quiet and it looks great. The controllers are just the right size and weight and I found it easy to access all buttons and so on.

The actual interface is nicer to use than I thought it would be, too. In the screenshots everything looks very large and basic - and it is - but when you use it this all makes sense. Navigation is really easy and the way the controller interacts with the menu is fantastic (vibrations when you hover over keys on the keyboard and the "click" sound coming out of the remote when you enter information). It does really feel engaging.

[b]Wii Sports:[/b] This package is even better than I thought it would be. And that really comes down to the accuracy and comfort of the Wii Remote. Even boxing, which seems to be considered the worst of the bunch, is still pretty good (although it definitely gives you a workout!)

I think my favourite so far is definitely tennis though...the sheer accuracy of the Remote is brilliant and the variety in swings works really well. Not being able to actually move your character is a non-issue; I think the game works [i]better[/i] when you only have to focus on your swings.

I still haven't played all the games on Wii Sports, but so far it's looking very good. It's a great demonstration of the Wii technology.

[b]Wii Play:[/b] This software came with the extra Wii Remote that I bought and it's proven to be almost as good (in some cases better) than Wii Sports. What's good about Wii Play is that it's engaging, but you don't need to spend hours on it - it's easy to play in short bursts, which is especially good when you have limited free time. People who work long hours are going to be better suited to this type of software, I think.

I haven't yet unlocked all of the games, but Ping Pong, Table Hockey and Pool really stand out for me. The only thing I don't like is that you can't really choose which ball to hit in Pool; the cue basically sits where it wants and you are only responsible for the power of the shot. At least this aspect works flawlessly. And Table Hockey is wonderful...it's very Galaxy Wars in terms of visuals and it reponds to movement and twisting of the Remote. The "new Duck Hunt" is also great - especially so with two players.

[b]Zelda:[/b] I was going to save the best for last, but unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to play Zelda. I played for a very short time and I'm still in Ordon Village.

I will say two things though. One, I'm thusfar having no controller issues (though I acknowledge that I haven't yet begun swordfighting) and two, the beginning of the game is obviously fairly slow - I don't think I can make a judgement on this title until I've played significantly more of it.[/font]

[color=dimgray] Oh, Wii. Why are you so damn hard to find.

I'm really glad to here that Wii is doing so well in sales. People in my area are still sleeping at major retailers whenever a shipment is due, so I haven't been to get one yet. >_> Fortunately, my sister lives in Manhatten and I'm asking her to try and get one from the Nintendo World Store. :]

I never expected the Wii to have this much hype/demand (which was possible stupid of me), but I hope it has lasting power, too. [/color]

I'm proud to say that I am one of the 26 people in my tiny town who was able to get a Wii even though I had to stand in line since 5:00AM to get one. I will never to that again. EVER. It was so miserable out in the cold.

It was certainly worth it, though. Playing the Wii was the most fun that I've ever had playing a video game! 'specially Wii tennis. Yeah, it looks cheap and stupid but all the moving around that you have to do really gets you into it. I also got Zelda but I haven't beaten it yet because I procrastinate. It's a pretty good game so far!

As far as complaints go, I'd say the only thing that my brother constantly complains about is the sensor. On zelda the wii remote is used to control the direction of arrows, boomerang, etc. but sometimes it'll stray off to the side and get "stuck". My brother will shake the remote to try and get the sensor to pick it up but it doesn't always work. Eventually he'll have to re-adjust the sensor or himself in order for it to pick it up. Maybe its just him and the way he has his arm facing, I don't know.

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]
I never expected the Wii to have this much hype/demand (which was possible stupid of me), but I hope it has lasting power, too. [/color][/QUOTE]

I thought it'd be the PS3 for sure, but I guess that shows how stupid I was. Those things are harder to come by than... well, anything! I mean, unless you plan on spending two (or more) car payments on one off of ebay. I think a lot of people have given up hope on trying to get one and went with the Wii instead.

[quote name='James][font=arial']Well, Wii launched in Australia yesterday and I was there to pick one up. I played it for a few hours last night and I thought I'd provide my general impressions here (especially for those in Australia or Europe who haven't bought one yet).[/font][/quote]

When you got yours did you cradle it for about five minutes and then rub it up against your face repeatedly? Not that I did that or anything.

[quote name='Charles']When you got yours did you cradle it for about five minutes and then rub it up against your face repeatedly? Not that I did that or anything.[/quote]

[font=arial]My siblings were all in the room when I took it out of the packaging. When I held it up, [i]everyone[/i] said "wow" and commented on how tiny the system looked (especially sitting near the Xbox 360).

Also, as a side note to all of this, my dad was in a motor bike accident several years ago and he has only ever been able to use one hand. He used to be able to play NES with one hand (he'd sit the controller flat on his thigh and play that way - I don't know how it was comfortable, but he could do it).

Ever since the newer controllers came out, he could never use them. So you can imagine the frustration - he was a big Zelda and Mario fan and after SNES, he could no longer play these games. So he missed Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, etc.

But two nights ago, he played several rounds of Wii Tennis with me and he [i]loved[/i] it. He was so excited that he can actually play a new game system now.

Sure, he still can't play Zelda because it requires two hands...but still, he'll be able to actually play various Wii games with us, where he couldn't before. So I thought that was nice.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=arial']Sure, he still can't play Zelda because it requires two hands...but still, he'll be able to actually play various Wii games with us, where he couldn't before. So I thought that was nice.[/font][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]The last game my dad even tried with my brother and I before Wii Sports was some baseball game for the Super NES. Now he's bootin' up the Wii when nobody is even home and goes bowling for an hour or two by himself. I was shocked and overjoyed.

Also, my friend has also decided that he's going to buy himself a Wiimote to keep at my house just so we can play simultaneously. He doesn't even own a Wii![/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]The last game my dad even tried with my brother and I before Wii Sports was some baseball game for the Super NES. Now he's bootin' up the Wii when nobody is even home and goes bowling for an hour or two by himself. I was shocked and overjoyed.

Also, my friend has also decided that he's going to buy himself a Wiimote to keep at my house just so we can play simultaneously. He doesn't even own a Wii![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]I don't know if it will end up being the case, but Xbox 360 had the most successful launch of any console in Australia. Apparently Wii is about to break that record.

I've been to several retailers who have already said "Wii has sold out everywhere - it's really good to see Nintendo back in the game."

When you consider that it was sold out in Japan as well...I think this all bodes well for the system. Now I just need to wait patiently for Mario![/font]