OtakuBoards

Nerds, Goths, Punks, The Popular Kids, etc... What do you fall in?

Shadow Blade

[SIZE=4][COLOR=SlateGray][FONT=Chiller]In this thread you could talk about which sterotype rules your school, or which type you think you fall in, or what do you think about them (Nerds, Geeks, Weirdos, Punk, Goth, Popular Kids........etc.)

As for my high school, there's mainly Goths, Punks, Nerds, Popular Kids, and of course the Jocks. I don't have anything against the sterotypes, and I think that without them high school would suck, because they actually make highschool life more fun. Especially with all the unique people and their own theories. However I don't like the jocks, the popular kids, posers, and thug-want-to-be's. Why? may you ask, well because:

1.) Jocks always have to show off with their athletic abilities, plus I find them to be
reatoo into themselves.
2.) Popular Kids are most likely the solo caretakers of the school (in short the
school is their property- or so they think).They got the right to judge to people - or so they believe. Three words, Annoying Snobby Brats. Teachers love them . majority of them are boy-crazy/ girl-crazy ( can't seem to control their hormones)
3.) Posers are the sort of people that keep on evolving constantly which gets
annoying. Ex. 1st their punk, then they are a jock, and then their goth, then all
of a sudden their cowboys! The word, Loyal isn't in their vocab.
4.) Thug-want-to-be's have some special connection with posers for reason

So once again:
"In this thread you could talk about which sterotype rules your school, or which type you think you fall in, or what do you think about them (Nerds, Geeks, Weirdos, Punk, Goth, Popular Kids........etc.)" [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]hmm...I think I'm classified as a drawer or artist if anything. Contraband calls me a dork, but only because I'm secretary of Band at South. I think I'm a music lover then again I don't classify myself as anything personally. I'm just about everything that makes me me. But I understand about those people who feel the "need" to be classified. It's weird and both sad to me that they feel they need to do that. I think the people who are constantly switching their appareal get on my nerves the most though. Goths are okay people. Sometimes I find myself laughing with them and relating. I like the non-snobby popular kids, otherwise they can't be just as annoying. The remedial people can be fun, but I enjoy the company of nature the most. People are nice, but they can be so noisy sometimes. :animeswea [/FONT] [/COLOR]

The popular girls at my school are smart and the goths are stupid. People are messed up in my school. If you like anime, you are a loser, but if you are in some kind of sport of academic thing you are not, even if you still like anime. Jocks are smart because they have to keep their GPA high so they can't get kicked of any team.
To tell you the truth I really don't know where I fall in category. I mean, I'm an artist, poet, musician, also captain of the academic team at school and also play on the girl's varsity softball and golf team. I also like to surf and I'm a bit of a nerd at times so I don't know where I fall, some people call me an emo, some call me punk. What do you think?

[color=darkviolet]I'm not really sure since I'm not in school anymore.

I can tell you that when I was in school it was the 'preps' and other cheerful people that ruled the school. But that was back in the 90's when po music was BSB, and 98 degrees and Nsync.

However, I was not in that group. I don't even think any of my friends were really in a group except for my friend Amanda who was a 'punky goth' chick when the trend was just starting (circa 1998-1999) She's also a bit artsy and pot head as well. I dopn't think thew kids who like country music in western NYS have a group.

I have no idea who it is now. But at my ex-husband's cousin's school I think it's the artsy types. Probably because she attends School of the Arts in our city. It's more the 'punkish' people there. I think it depends on which school you go to because her sister's private catholic school (which of course requires uniforms) And their brother's school group is mainly hi hop as well :animesigh , he goes to a publicc school in the inner city that requires uniforms (go figure).

I could tell you what the main group in the Army on Ft Hood is, but I don't know everyone there[/color]

lets see what am I? Hm....I guess i would be an outcast, rejected by everyone and not fiting in anywhere. Kind of fun though, everyone at my school fears me. Yes! power! Muhahahahahahaha! (Sorry i have issues ^.^) Oh yea I'm a weirdo too. Can't forget something like that! :animesmil

Well, In my town there are: Wannabe skaters, cowboys (rednecks), the hip-hop kids (I absolutely detest them), jocks (we don't have a football team, so they all play basketball), and a grand total of 4 punks, me being one of them. I have to say I hate them all. And 97 percent of them hate me, so it's a-okay.

During my school years, I typically isolated myself for the first few months, then, as I obsereved who to make friends with and who not to, I was probably labeled an outsider or an outcast, except I wasn't cast out by anyone but myself. Let me see if I can remeber the stereotypse...
Of course, there where goths, but it seemed to me many goths were the attitude, rebelers, so matbe these two were fused at my school. Then there were the jocks, but al the ones I know seemed friendly.However, I could NOT stand the popular people. Ever. The moment I identified them, I immediatly avoided them, and some had even become bitter enemies with me. They are incredibly shallow, and if you happen to meet them, just smile and nod your head. Before I offend anyone, remeber these are stereotypse, and not nessecairly you if you fell or fall under one.
The other one I can think of is the class clown, who, no matter what they did, I just couldn't seem to befriend them.
Thats my take on it, anyway.

I fall in between of a goth and nerd. I'm basically one of those kids that are called the next school shooter. You probably don't want to hear about that anyway, as I'm not really like that. I'm atheist, so I'm automatically outcasted from everyone else, I live in the bible (which also means wiccan) belt. I detest the rednecks (sorry if you are one) for basically being as dumb as a rock, but still think they're better than everyone because they can bench their car. I also have a hatred against those city kids (get ready for a black stereotype) who basically only think about themselves, talk unreasonably loud, and just run you over in the hallways.

Oh, and I guess I should add what type of goth I am, I fence, I write, I paint, and I go to local underground metal/hardcore shows every Friday or Saturday. No one calls me emo, even though I like most of the genre. There's a lot of us though, unlike most schools.

Guest Lucifers Wife
[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Comic Sans MS]i think i have been called everything under the sun expted jock and popular ^^;; but than again why would i want to be them?

hmm im called a goth and a punk alot just becuse i whare black alot than i get called a geek becuse i pass every thing and im called a loner and drugy (i dont know why i might look hi?)

but thats not the point students souldnt put lables on one another it hurts thare fellings and what not...

i wonder who started the whole lable system i sould go give them a swift kick lol

[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=CowTipper]
Losers. What more is there to say? They are losers. I'm not exaggerating, they are LOSERS. They have NO friends, not even with each other. [/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR="#993366"][b]Ummm...isn't that a bit too harsh? "Loser" I don't think qualifies as a right way to say someone with no friends. Loser according to the dictionary means One that fails consistently especially a person with poor skills. I don't see anything in there about friendship as part of the solution. Will a friend get you a job? Will a friend pay for college? I didn't think so. Plus people are so willing to judge that just if someone doesn't have friends at their school doesn't mean they don't have friends somewhere else.

Anyways back to the subject. I hate to label. And yes it was done in my old highschool. We had our hicks, goths/punks, skaters, preps, populars, jocks, nerds, mexicans, honor students and outcast group. I hung out with all of these people and including the outcast group which in reality, were not really outcasts lol I guess I would have been considered an outcast if people saw where I sat, but I knew EVERYONE. I was friends with atleast four people from each table including the mexican one (its not racists they really did only allow their race to sit there, except me and few others). Our school got so into cliches that the school decided to make a school holiday where you sit at a different table for the day. Did most of us try it? not all of us. But it did make us aware of what we were doing.

I never had a label. And I never want one. I never even want to label myself something either because I feel stupid when I do. Hopefully when I go to college, all this nonsense with the preps and other labels will die completely. It gets tiring because where I live, everything even online is like a popularity contest. That's sad. And whats more sad is that we have to have this discussion about it. But I know these stereotypes will be around forever, so I'll just have to ignore them.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/b]

[SIZE=1]I'm a part-time nerd, and part-time neutral. While I'm not always in a set clique, I tend to hang out with the honors students, which mainly consist of white and asian folk, as my own race seems to be too caught up to get to the top.[/rant]

Yeah, I'm not a really big nerd -- the fat ones in the AV club with glasses and sweaty and don't talk to girls. I just do well in school, and as a result hang out with those who share my common goals. Some [most, perhaps?] of the asians at my school are really, really cliquey and try to shun outsiders, with a few exceptions. Usually I don't care, but sometimes it bugs me.[/SIZE]

[color=sienna][size=1]

I'm a popular guy, in the sense that alot of people from a wide variety of cliques, know who I am. In school, I hang out with a group of guys of varied backgrounds who all have different tastes. My closest friends, whom I hang out with the most with, are a group of 'different' people to say the least. There's no word really describe what we all are.

One of the group wears Rainbow (the namebrand) Sandals and Plays Tennis. Another has all the Insane Clown Posse CD's and lives in a trailer. One skateboards and has really long hair, and loves C.K.Y. I have friend, whom we effectionally call "The Goat" (a beastiality joke) who is possibly the biggest redneck in the world. Another of the group is a HUGE video gamer (Final Fantasy Freak) and works out everyday. One of 'em is a chunky honors student who loves the WWE and video games. And I am a hip hop (*glares a Goldscorpion* fearfully*), dancing, video game playing, anime loving, martial artist who is half Greek. On common ground, we all love "Family Guy" and "Chappelle's Show"... heh.

To say the least, we're an unorthodox little gang. And thats just the core members. We all branch out into other groups, and have friends in other cliques, many of whom we also share. Since me and my girlfriend sit together all the time at gatherings, our groups also meld. Her friends are goal oriented preps (whom I have no problem with).

I guess I fall into the 'popular' (to a certain extent) in-between guy.[/color][/size]

I am not about to sit here in catogorize my entire high school of about 2500 people into difference descriptive categories and subcategories. (One) Because I am not even in high school anymore, so I no longer really even care, and (Two) because there are too many, and if I looked even further, people will fit into more than one category.

But seriously, in a school of 2500 people, think about a personality someone can have, and we had at least one person matching the description. There was no "dominant" culture. And *GASP* people made friends with other social groups! Punks were friends with preps. Republicans were friends with Democrats. Homosexuals were friends with bi/homo/transexuals. "Popular" were friends with the "losers." Brainiacs were friends with the numbskulls.

As grueling as that high school sometimes got, I am in no doubt that it is definitely one of the best in the state. Maybe not academically (though we are known for our English/Journalism departments), but in terms of putting your child into a diverse atmosphere and exposing him or her to just about everything, you are not really going to find that anywhere else.

I think stereotypes are funny.

I especially love how people who condone stereotypes can hardly ever categorize themselves unless they call themselves "outsiders" or "different" somehow.

In this thread, there was only one person that didn't considered their self to be either gothic (the latest trend apparently) or uncategorizable. And he didn't even create categories, he just described his interests.

Why do you think you can't label yourself like you do others? [B]Because you KNOW you're HUMAN and you can't be described by just a single word.[/B] Why not show respect for others and accept they're human and uncategorizable too?

Guh.

Ok, so I hate stereotypes. Sue me.
I just don't see how propagating stereotypes gets you anywhere.

-ArV

You forgot a few other common groups.

Preps: These might be considered the "norm". If the popular kids and pop culture are the leaders, these guys are the followers. They're like a mix between the popular kids that you described and posers. The average stupid guys that everybody that doesn't fall into their group hates.

Mall Rats: You know the girl that walks through the mall with her friends, having the world's most incoherent "conversations", and won't even wait for her friends to stop talking before she pipes up? And then when you walk past their group, you can tell that there's probably a grand total of 50 I.Q. points between them? Yeah. They could be considered preps, but they're even more annoying than the average prep and therefor deserve their own group.

Minority Fanatics: "Beaner" Mexicans, "black power" black guys, "Asian pride" Asian guys, and the like. These suckers refuse to hang out with anybody but people of their race and are often truly hateful of other races. (as in they'd assualt them for being white, black, or whatever) We have a lot of Mexicans around here that fall into this catagory...

Jocks: People that are seriously involved in one sport or another, be it basketball, skateboarding, or something else. My experiences with them tells me that they're usually more laid back during social situations than others.

Geek: A technology and videogame loving person that usually hates physical activity. Most are fairly smart in acedemics, though not so smart on the social ground.

Nerds: The more extreme geek. Where as geeks are still at a point where they can function normally with society when the need arises, nerds are at a level where they can no longer be considered anywhere near normal. They've usually got a huge collection for some sort of geeky hobby (figures, posters, comics, etc), and enjoy things such as programming and cosplaying. I've noticed that a lot of these guys are extreme liberals... possibly the stupidest and most unrealistic group around next to extreme patriots. (Violence doesn't solve anything... that's a giant load of ********... history will tell you otherwise, as will that time that you or your friend gave up their lunch because the school bully wanted it)

As for me, I guess that I'm a geek. I don't really like any sports, and I usually hate people. (though I'm nice enough when I'm around them) My hobbies include surfing the internet and playing videogames. Also, most of the television that I watch is anime. But while I'm a geek, I happen to be on the good side of a lot of the legit cool guys in town. I very rarely had to deal with the antagonizing that a lot of my geekier friends had to put up with. And whenever I did, it never lasted long.

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Amusing.

I think those who categorize THEMSELVES have every right to do so, but please stop categorizing other people, because they just think the same about you. Stop the vicious circle, people!

Anyway, I know I am stereotyped by my friends as popular, since I can talk to anyone and make friends. I don't think of myself like that, because I have so many other aspects. I love skateboarding, Manga, drawing, Shakespeare, music (Punk and Rock... Some metal.), Martial Arts (Only one more belt 'till black!), my job, my guitar, hanging out with my guyfriends and girlfriends, and the like. I have no personal stereotype. My closest would be Punk, or... Popular? That doesn't really describe me at all, though... Gah, what's the point.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

The funny thing is that if you actually look at it, most people do fit one stereotype or another. Of course they've all got their individual querks and personalities, but as far the general outlines for those stereotypes, you might be surprised if you looked... (certain types of people associate themselves with certain hobbies and groups)

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=1]I don't really care about streotypes. I treat all people the same. No special treatments/worshipping for popular people. No mistreatment for nerds/losers/whatever you call them. That's probably why my friends fall under different streotypes and I think it's good.

Don't annoy me and I'll treat you just fine. :catgirl: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=hotpink]I fall under weird in my school. Everyone knows me because i have all the information on just about everthing and I just know everyone by name. I also am the punk/christian at least that is what i have been called before. I just have my looks. I kindave have this personality that draws youin or makes you run away screaming. I just am that person sits in a corner and draws picture or is on the computer.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2]I have to say I fall in a lot of different types.

Some consider me popular, what I mean is a can talk to anyone and hold a conversation with just about everyone.

I've been called goth, because of my black hair and some of the stuff I read. I guess being called creepy counts, right?

And I can't forget my straight detention slips. Seriously I've had detention almost every day since school started. I don't know how many times I've been suspended, yet somehow I keep going back.

Well, I guess thats about it. People, label me what you want, I don't care.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well...if I were to classify my grade,this is how it would work.I will also give an example of a female and male specimen of each group,if possible.

Prep:Shes (and a few hes) that dress in Hollister,American Eagle,Abercrombie and Fitch,Pac-Sun and others.Girls often have the name of one of the many stores plastered all over their clothes.Guys are a little more subtle,but you can tell.
The girls shirts are often tiny,tight and sometimes see-through.Their skirts are too short,and they often wear flip flops or (in my opinion) ugly kicks or slips,whatever you call them.Except for one exception in my school whom we call Miss Katie Sprang.She insists on wearing these horrible crocheted booties that even an 85 year old women in her right mind wouldn't wear.

There are different breeds of prep.Hardcore preps are as discribed above.Wanna-be preps are also as above,but no one cares about them.Or they laugh at how they aren't as "preppy" as them.And there are the "comfy preps" that are infesting my school currently.Girls wear grey sweatpants over boxers,letting their boxers hang out in a masculine fashion.They also wear too-small shirts from old baseball teams and etc that they picked up from their local thrift store over a white t-shirt.Yeah.Preps make up the main population of out school.
Hardcore Prep:Brittany Lauson and Mitch Jones
Wanna-be Preps:Laura Westfall and no guys
Comfy Preps: (Two girls this time) Carly Shaw and Katie Sprang

Normal/Sporty:No one is my grade is a jock.Its sorta hard to be,since our sports teams suvk.So yeah.But people dress sporty with teams they are on outside of school t-shirts and Street Ball (a local basketball tournament) t-shirts.
Examples:Matt "Ernie" Ernst and Emily Christopher

Punk/Goth:I can count all the punk/goth people in the entire school on one hand,both tops.Seriously though,most of them are posers.
Punks:Chelsea St.Peter and Ayla Klockzien

Skaters:Mostly guys,except for a few girls.What else can I say?They always wear skate shoes and skate brand shirts etc.The girls are mostly going out with them and wear their shoes.
Skaters: David Rudie and Evan Ramsey
Girlfriends:Shelby Wollerman and Gabby Lauver

Everyone else:This is me and other people.We don't really fit into a group.

In my case,I love people.I want to be friends with everyone,or at least try to get along with them.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo]I'm grateful not to fall into any of these chatacteristics. Punk, goth, "thug", popularity, Nerd, I fall into none of these groups. I'm a loner who has friends. Can anyone tell me what category that falls in?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][QUOTE=Bloodseeker]
Nerds: The more extreme geek. Where as geeks are still at a point where they can function normally with society when the need arises, nerds are at a level where they can no longer be considered anywhere near normal. They've usually got a huge collection for some sort of geeky hobby (figures, posters, comics, etc), and enjoy things such as programming and cosplaying.[/QUOTE]

Hey I collect comics and posters and have cosplayed from time to time and I still function as a productive member of society thank you very much. True I can be considered somewhat excentric at times but I'm not some kind of weasle-like recluse with buck teeth and bad sinuses ¬_¬.

Just an example of how stereotypes can be wrong.[/SIZE][/COLOR]