OtakuBoards

Favorite Final Boss in an RPG?

Guest Kaise

[color=darkred]At the risk of sounding ultra-cliche, my favourite final boss in any RPG is Bizzarro Sephiroth, Safer Sephiroth being a close second.

There's just something about this fight that clicks with me. From the moment I first saw Bizzarro I was kind of surprised at his appearance, because both forms looked nothing like the actual Sephiroth we see in-game. What I love about this battle is the timelessness of it, because I don't think I've so far come across a more entertaining boss battle than Bizzarro. I found myself fighting him in many different ways, from using no materia to standard default weapons, or with materia that put me at a miserable disadvantage... anything that would make it more challenging for me. I guess the same could go for Safer too, but I don't think anything could top Bizzarro's Supernova.

Other battles come to mind too, from other games, but they just don't do it for me. Many of today's boss battles seem to me merely like extensions of random field battles, with an extra catch involved to put you at a disadvantage which causes the fight to take longer. The final battle in Golden Sun comes to mind. Now that was just frustrating, and no where near fun.[/color]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']I guess the same could go for Safer too, but I don't think anything could top Bizzarro's Supernova.[/color][/quote][color=#4B0082]I think you've got those two mixed up. Safer Sephiroth -- the second, "one winged angel" form -- is the one that uses Supernova. Bizarro Sephiroth is the first form, where you (usually) have to split your group into multiple parties to fight it, and doesn't use Supernova.[/color]

The favorite final boss fight of mine would have to be in Star Ocean Till the End of Time. That game was great, it always threw an interesting character at you all the time. The bosses always looked great too. But at the end, [spoiler] when you go into the hall with all the clocks, and then you have to fight The Creator, its just amazing. He was so hard for me to beat, i had to go back and level up more and more, and by then i had some pretty neat attacks. I knew though, with Albel, Fayt, and Cliff, i could woop his butt. It was such fun.[/spoiler] And i liked the fact it was real time. fun stuff...

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I must agree with GatoGaming, Kuja off of FF9 is also an amzing boss. I think the gameplay and the plots in FF9 are so well designed and the fact that when Kuja appears the resulting earthquake blocking off many towns was very witty. This way you could only train instead of going back and trying to buy all the best items.

[spoiler] However, Kuja is not actually the final bos. Once you get the Gold chocobo you can go up to the sky garden and fight Ozma, the almost impossible to beat boss. -.- He can use holy and everytime he does something it confuses or kills one of your people. I still haven't beat him even with holy-absorbing armor! Damn you Ozma! DAMN YOU![/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I would have to say Seproith from Final Fantasy 7 because he was once a good guy then he found out what he really was and became this bad ***** guy. He really is awesome, but I think that final fantasy is just plan awesome to begin with.

I would have to say the coolest boss in an RPG for me was Luca Blight. For one he was genuinly an insane beast, as displayed earlier in the game when [spoiler]he made the villagers oink like pigs then slaughtered them anyway. This is after he set up the war to look like the Highland was betrayed. Even cooler about this character is that you fight him halfway through the game. Where as in most RPGs you go through the entire game before you can finally fight the main Boss, Luca comes after you early in your building of your castle. It was the only game I played where they showed you what could happen afterwards when Jowy aligned himself with Highland and refused to surrender. That showed truly how a war could happen.[/spoiler] Thats probably why I like Suikoden better a lot is because its more about war than the end of the world like most RPG's.

I'd have to say the last boss in Star Ocean: Till the end of time, was probably the best one. Knowing that you and your entire team is strong enough to take on the person who created your universe is kinda exciting(not counting the fact it could disapear the second you win)

Now that I think about it everytime I fought him Marage or Cliff always got in the last hit.

Guest Chioh
Reading this thread, I realised: I need to play more RPGs. Well, of the few I have played, I feel Corbenik was my favorite boss. Like the creator of this thread said, he (or it, whatever) just doesnt come out of the blue, [spoiler] but is part of the wave, so you expect it eventually. Although what I dont like is how he/it takes forever to beat because he has three different phases, and you dont have data drain. But to be honest, I dont think it was the fight that made it/him my favorite boss. I think it was the meaning behind it all, how Elk finally came around and Aura sacraficed herself. I really did not see it coming. [/spoiler] What makes this my favorite final boss is probably the meaning and sacrafice (for those who dont want to read the spoiler.)

But reading the other posts, I really want to play Chrono Trigger and Golden Sun and such.

[quote name='Lostcause]The favorite final boss fight of mine would have to be in Star Ocean Till the End of Time. That game was great, it always threw an interesting character at you all the time. The bosses always looked great too. But at the end, [spoiler] when you go into the hall with all the clocks, and then you have to fight The Creator, its just amazing. He was so hard for me to beat, i had to go back and level up more and more, and by then i had some pretty neat attacks. I knew though, with Albel, Fayt, and Cliff, i could woop his butt. It was such fun.[/spoiler'] And i liked the fact it was real time. fun stuff...[/quote]

Luther from star ocean did surprise me. Before all the bosses in the game we're a pretty easy kill but the second version of Luther devastated me.[spoiler] His attack Insanity Prelude was amazingly efficient in destroying you're team. The hand like wings made him look awesome too! He's insane but he's got to be the best. The other bosses didn't prepare you for Luther's second stage.[/spoiler] Luther is the best final boss.

• 2 weeks later...
Melbu Frahma from Legend of Dragoon...I just really enjoyed fighting this ever changing boss. He took forever to beat, and when you finally destroy him...It's so satisfying.^^

I also enjoyed fighting Sephiroth, and Ultimecia in Final Fantasy 7 and 8, so I suppose they are 2nd and 3rd on my rather close list of favorite final bosses.

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Gah, when I look at this thread, I see some real RPG playing people, and those people who stray off from the RPGs and just say "Hey, Final Fantasy was RPG! I love [insert blank here]" Sorry to say, but I hate the Final Fantasy RPG series, because of how blown up some of them are. Final Fantasy isn't the only RPG out there, and some people really don't know this. (Note: Sorry if I sound like i'm flaming, i'll get to the point now >_>)

Well, some of my favorite RPG final bosses include, yes, When Saturos and Menardi fused into that dragon in Golden Sun, (Took me 4 tries. Bring it on n00bs.)

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but [COLOR=Black]Mithos[/COLOR] from Tales of Symphonia.
I mean, that was just a really good game. It was so well integrated in the story, and everything blended together nicely. It wasn't one of those predictible stories, it had you guessing till the end.

Also, Fire Emblem really [I]was[/I] technically an RPG. I loved that, and I loved the Sacred Stones too. Both of them were great.

.....I miss my RPGs! :animedepr [/FONT][/SIZE]

Hmmmmm....tricky tricky tricky. I would probably have to say Sephiroth...but not the Sephiroth from FFVII (*Gasp!*). I really liked the sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts. Just the sheer adrenaline that the fight gave you was just amazing...or was it just me. Also, my 17 year old sister was the first to experience it (she loves Disney to an obsessive amount...loser), and when Sephiroth came up to the plate, she was KO'd in about 3 seconds. Made me laugh. Anyway, I loved it for the due fact that I finally got to beat the second place finisher for this thread in a 3D arena...which was kick***.

• 4 years later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Hmm, bit of a toughie. Inclined towards [spoiler]Master Li[/spoiler] from Bioware's Jade Empire, if only because he's a gigantic Magnificent Bastard who entirely lives up to his title of the Glorious Strategist. [spoiler]Saren[/spoiler] from Mass Effect would also get a mention but I usually [spoiler]convince him to end it all in the opening dialogue[/spoiler] which makes the final fight against [spoiler]resurrected-Saren[/spoiler] less epic feeling. [/size][/font]

This would be a lot different if it were final boss in general instead of a specific genre. Especially since I've not completed a lot of RPGs. (everytime I think of RPG I think of the rocket instead of the whole role play game lol) I guess if I had to choose it would either be Sephiroth or Xemnas. While I'm not a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts games (anymore, unless they get rid of Sora) it's pretty hard for me to say I didn't enjoy that battle, although I could've done away with the [spoiler]thousand lasers[/spoiler]. Sephiroth on the other hand, well, he's Sephiroth... Nah, I just like that [spoiler]he don't attack and I get to do Omnislash[/spoiler].

[b]I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned before, but I'm playing Persona 3 for the first time thanks to P3P and even though I haven't reached it yet, I've heard that [spoiler] (going to spoiler tag it just in case, even though I'm not mentioning names,) the final boss in this game has about 14 forms and on top of that a friend of yours warns you repeatedly that she is undefeatable![/spoiler]

I have a month in in game time to train to fight the boss, and even that seems like it might not be enough time. I'm scared! :blink:

EDIT: It was tough, but I beat the boss. :biggrin: [/b] Edited by Lilt

Mine would have to be Luther from [b]Star Ocean: Till the End of Time[/b]. The whole story was amazing with that great twist! Luther owned me multiple times because I just refused to level up in that game. I was so weak. :sweatdrop:

Another one of my favorite bosses is [spoiler]Mithos[/spoiler] from [b]Tales of Symphonia[/b]. he wasn't too tricky, but not to hard to beat either. When he kept busting out with more forms I was like WTF?! And also he was pretty damn cute.

[color=indigo]I really enjoyed the [spoiler]Barthandelus/Orphan[/spoiler] battle at the end of FFXIII. Sure, the big baddie isn't the strongest villain in the game (like all of the more recent FF games, their are "special" monsters to fight) nor are they as coll and iconic as Sephiroth. However, I do feel that this pairing was the hardest to defeat in the FF series simply because you were limited to how much you could power up before hand. Due to a lack of power-ups you really had to form a multi-tiered strategy when dealing with the bosses. When to launch you medics, synergists, and sentinels were key to defeating the bosses, both of which had one-punch knockout power.[/color].