OtakuBoards

Super Smash Brothers. . ^_^

NorykoAngelcry

[color=indigo]Heh, I remember when I considered myself to be one of the best at the original SSB. (I'm kinda rusty now, having been playing SSBM instead of the original for so long now). Dang, I played the game a lot. Probably more than any other game. (That would really be saying something, if you knew just how much I played Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World, back when the SNES was only a couple years old). :) For SSB Melee, though, I'm definitely not one of the best. I'm pretty dang good, but I just haven't played enough yet. Every time I start playing it again I get better, just like I did with the original SSB, so it's just a matter of time, heh. I played the original from the time it came out to the time SSB Melee came out, off and on, and I was still developing new combos (gotta love how you can juggle people in the air with Link's light Up+A on the ground to get their percent up, before letting them have it with a smash attack, heh), so I expect it to be quite awhile before I reach my full potential. That, and I had more people to play with, for SSB. With SSBM, I usually just have to play against CPU players.

As for the characters I use the most, that'd have to be Link in both versions, second would be Pikachu in SSB, and Samus in SSBM, with probably Mario coming in at third in SSB, and Roy in SSBM. Heh, I remember one time when I was playing SSB on Pikachu, and I did a five minute match on Saffron City with three level nine CPU players. I only got knocked off once in he entire match, because they could barely ever hit me. I knew the CPU players' reactions to pretty much everything like the back of my hand, lol.

Ah, great memories... Makes me want to play SSBM... And I think I will, in a few minutes. :)[/color]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]I started with Pikachu on SSB because I was really, really into Pokemon at the time, and I just become quite good with him. My friend uses Fox all the time, and for me it's incredibly hard to hit him, let alone beat him. After playing with Pikachu, I could never get used to the slower characters in SSB like Link and I couldn't even use the insanely slow characters like DK.

I wish I could play now like I did when I first got SSB, as I never used the shield as I didn't know what button it was..[/b]

• 2 weeks later...
Ah. SSBM. My first game for the gamecube that I got. I've been playing it to this day, and got all 290 trophies just yesterday. Anyway, I like to use Roy because of his long reach, power, and the always fun to use counter. I'm also very good with Fox, Captian Falcon, Marth, Shiek, and Link. Judging by my expirience to the game, I can ocasionaly beat 3 lv. 9 comps all teamed against me. I also have 16 kills in cruel melee and a 100587 point record in classic mode with Captian Falcon. If anyone needs help on anything in the game feel free to pm me and I'll probably respond in a day or two(I can't use the internet or play games that much exept on weekends, because I have a Specialized high school test coming up).

[color=indigo]Speaking of getting all 290 trophies...I can't do it! I dunno why, but it just won't give me the Hammer Throw bonus, which is the only one that I need in order to get the Discun trophy, or whatever it's called. (The one that you get when you get all of the bonuses). I've dropped tons of Hammers, but it never gives me the stinking bonus! :mad:

Any advice? I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing has worked.[/color]

The hammer throw bonus is a very tricky one to get, and it took me numerous tries. Heres how i did it: To throw the hammer, you have to be in the air, not swining the hammer, while falling down. I sugust you go to the Brinstar level, jump into the acid, and get your character in that position. When your character is falling, right before s/he starts swinging again, press Z+Smash the control stick(in any direction), and your character should throw the hammer in the direction of the control stick. Note that if you fall in the acid and drop the hammer, that won't count as the acid made you drop the hammer, not you yourself. Also, you will need super precise timing to pull the throw off. I did it with Mario. I got myself launched into the air, and franticly smashed the control stick in any direction while pressing Z like a madman.

[size=1]I don't own this title, and that is probably due to the fact I don't own a Gamecube. :p But a close friend of mine does, and I play at his house all the time. I [b]love[/b] this game! :) I mainly play as Falco and my friend uses a slew of differen't people. He is best with Zelda/Sheike though, he can pull off some nice combos. Needless to say, since I first played him in March I have only beaten him a few times. :p[/size]

• 4 weeks later...
I played this game solidly for about six months. It's absolutely fantastic. The only gripe I have with it is that Mr Game and Watch and Dr. Mario were in it- Ridley would have been so much better to have in their place. That, and there was no Wolf O'Donnell. :bawl: Wolfie!

Anyway, I use Fox, Roy and Marth mostly, all of whom I'm unbeatable at (I wish). Well, I'm pretty darn good, anyway. My sister (21) is always Link, which means he's top of almost every ranking. Grrr...

I managed to delete all the secret characters once. I got all of them except Mewtwo and MGAW in a day, which kind of shows how easy it can be once you've got a little experience. Do you think they'll create an add-on or anything? More characters? More levels? I want more!

• 4 weeks later...
My main charecter is Link. I can't say I'm undefeated, cause when me and my friend (Who uses Roy)fight each other, it's awe inspiring. We fight on a team a lot, so we know each others moves really well. At my birthday party about a month ago, we had a Melee tourney. None of our other friends even stood a chance, and a couple of 'em have GameCube themselves. Of course, it was a little dissapointing when me and my friend had to fight each other in the semi-finals, and not the finals. Seriously, when we battle, our fights can go on for a half an hour. Most of the time I can beat him, but when I'm playing on a level I'm not familiar with, he usually beats me(By the way, my best stage is Hyrule Castle). Anyway, enough with my stories. I'm the kind of fighter whos MOST of the time goes right in there. But, when I start to take a lot of damage, I usually play conservative. Link is very strong, and his attacks are fairly quick. His only downside is, he's not that fast. But then again, who would be with all his weapons. All of his attacks have their own strenghts, and to win against the pros with Link, you have to strategize and plan on what time to use what attack. I'm a really good one-on-one fighter, and I'm also skilled in melee attacking as well. I'll also do whatever it takes to win, such as grabbing an enemy in mid-air, and dragging him down with me. If any of you ever face me in a fight, watch out, cuzz I've got mad skillz. lol

I love Mewtwo....

I'm pretty much undefeatible with him.

But my favorite, goes to Ness.

The reason I like Ness, is plainly because he's a schoolboy. Also he has sweat weapons. Like the bat for instance. The bat is awsome.

The reason I am so good with MewTwo, is plainly because of his attacks. His electric attck, well....it just kills everybody when I have the aim right.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I haven't got a Gamecube...Yet. I'm officially getting one at the end of January though. ^_^;; Luckily alot my mum and dads friends have Gamecubes, so I play SSBM when I'm dragged to their house. Although if I know they've got a Gamecube, I go willingly of course. ^___^

I'd say my faveourite is Kirby. His fire dash thing's good for knocking people back then using Final Cutter (I think it's called that) then turning into a block before they can get many counter hits in. Then when their back is turned, *shfwoomp* one sucker's power, in the bag. Meh, I'll be able to start getting better and use better tactics when I actually get it...

[color=indigo]Marth is decent, I think, but I just seem to do so much better on Roy. His attacks just seem more powerful, even if they are a tad bit slower. His B attack is a heck of a lot better, too, if you can charge it up a decent amount. That, and I like how you do more damage when you hit with the middle of Roy's sword, instead of the tip of Marth's.

I've been playing SSBM some more lately, and I've found my three best characters, without a doubt, are Link, Samus, and Ganondorf. When I play against three level 9 CPU player's, it's not even a challenge. I usually end up getting +8 or something, and they get -5, heh. Roy, I think, would be my fourth best character.

And is this just me, or does it seem like Luigi is the best character, when the CPU plays as him? Out of all the other characters, he seems like the hardest to beat when I set him to level 9. It's really weird, because he's about the only CPU character that can regularly get a positive score when I play with three level 9 CPUs.[/color]

I finally brought this game about 2 days ago. First I must say that I suck. I was never good at deep fighting games and my fighting skills are just average in this game. Anyway, since Roy and Marth are the current topic I found something that my prove challenging. I created a team battle: 1 human VS. 3 level 9 CPU fighters. Of those 3, I choose Roy, Marth and Young Link. The battle is a stock battle and my little bro (who is a way better fighter than I am) wanted to try out my newly assembled team. Well, let me just say it didn't look pretty.... The CPU tore him apart. He tried every character and he still couldn't beat it. He even told me that its harder than the Giga Bowser, Ganondorf, and Mewtwo battle. However just a few minutes ago he finally managed to win the match with Ganondorf but he turned the friendly fire on :-/ I wonder if anyone here can take on my team of swordsmen? :)

[b][color=003399]Ohh that's the one thing I hate, CPU characters with cloaking devices. The CPU obviously knows where it is, and there is no behaviour pattern to suggest otherwise. So whilst you can't see the CPU, it just beats you senseless up to a high percentage until the cloak runs out.

I've become a heck of a lot better with Falco recently. His jumps seem to be a bit less "floaty" than Foxs'.[/b][/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I beat that event match without too much trouble. I used lots and lots of Spin Attacks with Link, heheh. It also helps if you're good at spotting where they are, since you can kind of see them when they move.

What annoys me, is that the CPU characters know where you are when you have a Cloaking Device. I've stood, unmoving so it didn't even make that little flicker, all the way across the level from them and they still just went right to where I was and started hitting me.

That, and human players can tell where you are, too, because it always puts the little arrow that says "Jon" (the name that I use) above where I am. The only thing they're really good for is making it so you don't take damage while using one.[/color]