OtakuBoards

What was your first manga?

Filipinorocker1

What is the very first manga you ever read? Mine was Ragnarok. After reading that manga I just couldnt stop going into bookstores and looking at which manga looks interesting. Ever since then I started reading D.N. Angel, Escaflowne and Negima and I started buying anime magazines. Hah, I sound like an obsessed nerd. But im not. So just post you answer. :animesmil

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember what mine was XD;; but I think it was either Ghost in the Shell or Mai the Psychic Girl?

That was way back when manga was like almost $20 normally, instead of $9 T_T

And, randomly, the first raw Japanese manga I bought was either MPD Psycho or Slayers ^^;

I have so much manga now ^^; My bookshelf can't hold it all *shot dead*

I remember the first one I read quite well as it has only been a year. I was watching part of Yu-Gi-Oh and I just couldn't believe it was that stupid. Parts of it just made no sense to me, and since I couldn't get an un-edited version to watch I decided to try reading the Manga books. So I got the first three and I absoutely loved it! So naturally that got me thinking about other anime I had watched and now I have lots of manga books from different series. :animesmil

For me, it was the first volume of Vampire Princess Miyu. I wasn't that interested in the story, but I loved (and still love) Narumi Kakinouchi's character designs. Eventually I realized that I could just pick up an artbook and be done with it, so I never did buy later volumes of the series.

~Dagger~

I believe it was Appleseed. Before I really cared about Western comics I really got into the work of Masamune Shirow in particular. I wound up getting the trades of Appleseend and the data book.

If you've only seen that old animated version, don't hold it against the series. I really loved the characters and the situations. It really feels completely different in so many ways; even more than one might expect from an adaptation (even one that came while the series was still getting new issues).

I've still not seen that new CG version, but that's another story.

[color=#550000][font=tahoma]Ooh, Tony, I absolutely adore Masamune Shirow's style. Unfortunately, I haven't ran across any of his manga (that isn't hentai, and even so, I haven't seen that either).

My first manga would be Angel Sanctuary. I can't stress how obsessed I am with this manga. The art is beautiful, the story is spectacular, the characters are sexy, cool, and exciting. I've been collecting other mangas, but this is the one manga I've been devoted to keeping up with. It's pretty obvious that I'm obsessed when you look at myO or see my banners (when I have one) and my avatar. And if you ever talk to me online, I'm going to pretty much say that I will refer to AS [i]at least[/i] once, lol.

I can't help it, Yuki (Kaori Yuki) is an amazing artist and writer. I wish I had a way to contact her by letter. That would be like meeting a movie star or something.

Anyway, Angel Sanctuary was my first manga, and was quickly followed by The Demon Ororon (another manga I could go on and on about). Sadly, it was a really short series T_T But it's worth it, in my opinion. But if I were to suggest a first manga to anyone, Angel Sanctuary is where it's at.[/color][/font]

[color=darkblue]The very first manga that I ever read was the first volume of Ranma 1/2. A friend of mine had been ranting and raving about how funny it was, so I headed over to the library, and lo and behold, the first volume of it was in the graphic novel section. So I checked it out and fell in love with it. ^^ Of course, my tastes hae branched off a bit since then, but I'm still glad that's what I broke my gums on.[/color]

[quote name='Mad Hatter][color=#550000][font=tahoma]I can't help it, Yuki (Kaori Yuki) is an amazing artist and writer. I wish I had a way to contact her by letter. That would be like meeting a movie star or something.[/color'][/font][/quote]Not to get too far off-topic, but her other series and one-shots are also excellent. You should try to check out Count Cain (which is being released in the States as The Cain Saga; the first volume comes out this July), if you ever get the chance. God Child, the sequel to Count Cain, is going to start coming out around the same time.

~Dagger~

Guest Nita-Chan
The first manga I have ever read was Inuyasha. My friend let me borrow her's. I hated it.
But it did start my love for manga, so it was all right, I guess. ^^;

The first manga I ever read was Ceres;Celestial Legend. Ever since then, I couldn't put those books down!! I totally recommend that series!! It's soooooooo cool :animesmil !!!!!

I have very odd firsts....they are usually not the ones that people see first.

case in point: first anime: cowboy bebeop

And the same falls for manga. My first manga was given to me by a firend of mine and isn't very well known..
it is called "spiral into horror"

it is a scary manga with alot of disturbing graphics...but the plot drew me into it. It was done by the 4th manga and I knew that I liked mangas for some reason.

I then got into "the ring" manga that she gave me next. After that I decided to venture on it on my own and bought my first manga "inuyasha"...from there...I have really gone far to collect mangas.

[quote name='KONG342']my first manga was Samrai Deeper KYO i love this manga so much too. :cool: :drool:[/quote]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]A friend of mine loaned me that manga. First manga I read that the girl was SMART. I like the anime more. My first manga I read was Sailormoon because I fell in love with the manga art. Then Utena and then Fushigi Yugi.[/FONT][/COLOR] :animesmil

'Tis a tough question for myself, because I read about 20 different manga's when I started. I'd probably have to say...Argh...Either One Piece or Hikaru no Go. Not exactly sure which one, but it's one of them. It was back in 2003 to be certain. I wasn't much of an manga fan at first :animeswea . I remember getting translations of the HikaGo manga, and just sit there reading it without getting up. It was like a beautiful woman you couldn't stop looking at.

Ah...I only got into the anime/manga thing last November when I visited my cousin, the anime fanatic, so my first was Othello, which is still fairly new; there's only 3 volumes out in the US...the 4th comes out this month I believe...after that was Rurouni Kenshin, and it just went on from there :D

Guest Shadow Assassin
Deamon Ororon, A dramatic, Touching, deep story...with tons of blood, gore, and a good storyline. it touched me deeply, and ever since, i have been addicted to dramatic mangas.

Animes are very easy to find but when it comes to mangas, you have to show real effort in where i live so the first manga i got was (during a trip i made to germany) Neon Genesis Evangelion and i instantly loved it, in some ways it was better than the anime itself. The second one was the Yu-gi-oh which i bought for my brother, but i think the manga is much much better than the tv series, as i could not help myself but got bored while watching it.

The first manga I ever read was Di Gi Charat. ^^; Got 2 of those from my Aunt for Christmas one year. It was okay I guess but there are definately better mangas out there. (Like Fruits Basket! lol) After Di Gi Charat came Ceres: Celestial Legend, then Fruits Basket, then Reservoir Chronicle Tsubasa, Naruto, DNAngel, Alice 19th, Dragon Knights, Princess Ai, ok, I'll stop now, lol.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Garamond]Ah, My very first manga was Kare Kano. ((still wub it.)) I was lucky enough to run into a guy at the library who was an otaku and he helped me out. My intrests are alot broader now.[/FONT][/COLOR]