OtakuBoards

What was your first manga?

Filipinorocker1

My first manga was a comic style version of Cardcaptor Sakura. It was in a actual comic book style and not graphic novel. I was digging through the local comic book store at the mall, trying to find some rare Sonic when I saw what I reconigized as anime style art. I also found Miracle Twins that day but the art of Cardcaptor Sakura was so cute, I bought every issue they had there. This was a few years ago by the way.

I continued to buy the comic style for some time and also bought Metabots, Cowboy Bebop and something else (drawing a blank). I mainly focused on Sakura though. The art was great, the characters were so cute and who doesn't love Sakura? I fell in love with the 'magical girl' concept. The tarot cards were so interesting too, they were their own people really. Oh yes, this was also my first dose of shounen-ai too. I was fairly new to anime back then too, having only seen Tenchi Muyo and Sailor Moon (and Mon Colle Knights but no one remembers them). So all this seemed so new and different to me. I was drawn to it. Clamp compacted a lot of cliches into it but it was new to me and I loved it.

So yes, it was the cute magical girl that made me fall in love with manga and anime in general. To this day I still love Cardcaptor Sakura the best.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sister Red and Cowboy Bebop. I loved the anime Cowboy Bebop so I started reading that, also I saw sister Red in a bookstore for really cheap so I picked it up and liked it. I am just starting out with manga, so I haven't had a chance to read much else yet.

[quote name='Killer7']Sister Red and Cowboy Bebop. I loved the anime Cowboy Bebop so I started reading that, also I saw sister Red in a bookstore for really cheap so I picked it up and liked it. I am just starting out with manga, so I haven't had a chance to read much else yet.[/quote]
If you're into ninja's or awesome fighting I highly recommend you get Naruto.

My first manga might had been Tokyopop's release of Gundam Wing in comic book form. That, or the Pokemon comics.

But, if I remember clearly, I never read the Gundum comics with I got them. Only after I found them when I moved. My dad had gotten them for my birthday at his friend's comic store.

I ate the Pokemon ones up though. The story was closer to the games, so I was sorta confused when I first started to read them. My dad also got them from his friend's comic store, but he reserved them for me and got them with his stuff.

I never knew they were manga when I was a kid though. I was just, "COOL, POKEMON COMICS."

But, I have to say my manga collection has grown alot since those days.

[quote name='Filipinorocker1']What is the very first manga you ever read? Mine was Ragnarok. After reading that manga I just couldnt stop going into bookstores and looking at which manga looks interesting. Ever since then I started reading D.N. Angel, Escaflowne and Negima and I started buying anime magazines. Hah, I sound like an obsessed nerd. But im not. So just post you answer. :animesmil[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid] I don't remember. It's been so long since I started reading them. It might have been Gundam Wing. I have a friend who is obsessed with it and I think she showed me her first. I really don't remember. ^_^ But I know that the first managa I really loved was Fruits Basket. Pleasant waves!!!![/COLOR]

My first manga was the tenth volume of the No Need for Tenchi series, Mother Planet. I remember I was nearly dancing around out of happiness in the store cause I was in the Tenchi craze back then. Since then I discovered more manga titles and now have a collection building in my small bookcase. But I'll always remember No Need for Tenchi as my first manga.

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
mine was really the old pokemon mangas when i was a little kid. i didnt really know it was manga i thought it was a pokemon coloringing/comic book! XD i count my first manga to be the first naruto volume, cuz i actually knew it was manga then!oh no wait..i forgot, my first was shonen jump no. 8 !!!!sorry i keep getting mixed up

[quote name='Filipinorocker1']What is the very first manga you ever read? Mine was Ragnarok. After reading that manga I just couldnt stop going into bookstores and looking at which manga looks interesting. Ever since then I started reading D.N. Angel, Escaflowne and Negima and I started buying anime magazines. Hah, I sound like an obsessed nerd. But im not. So just post you answer. :animesmil[/quote]
I think mine was one of the sailor moon books but i'm not sure. I know that when i started up again after like 2 years it was the first volume of Princess Ai. It's really good. I think i like toyko popbooks better and their site rocks.

hmm... my first manga I bought was InuYasha. I was trying to look for a later episode, but I never finished the collection of IY since they were too close alike. One of my school friends told me about Toyko Mew Mew and said that I should read it. She then gave it to me and then later on the 2 and 3 volumes, but it took me forever to get 4-7, but I got them all on the same day so it was a good cause to wait for the books ^_^ so yeah, Tokyo Mew Mew was my first manga.

Well my first Manga book was Rurouni Kenshin. My friend Lynn introduced me to the show and I wondered if the books are like it. I collected 1 then 3-6. I already read the second one and it is pretty good. I hope I can get number 10 soon

Guest chaseotaku
my first manga was dragon ball in 1999 or so i remember now i own more than 2000dolars worth and the peopleat the local comicbook store lostworld of wonders know me by name demo ive allways loved anime really as long as ive known call me otaku but my life was literaly saved by anime if i hadnt had it im sure i wouldve killed myself in 4th grade im all beter now tho^_^

Guest Sorceress_Tala
[FONT=Century Gothic]well my very first manga book was card captors then i heard about Chobits from then on i started collecting them but right now i'm a saiyuki and d.n.angel fanatic right now[COLOR=Magenta]undefined[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed][QUOTE=flynfreako]the first manga i ever read/bought was dragon knights.

it's kinda funny and has great art, but it's really not worth the 20 some volumes it is >.<[/QUOTE]
I bought the first volume a few years back mainly because of the cover art :animeswea .... it isn't the best manga (it does have good art), but it's what got me addicted, so I decided to collect the whole series. Yea.... that was before they decided to release 20+ volumes.... :animenose

Right now, my manga collection is pushing 70 volumes. I still swear Dragon Knights makes up the bulk of it.... all 18 volumes so far. XD

(Me and my emotional attachments... :rolleyes:)[/COLOR]

Guest LianaBazooka
The first manga I ever read was the FLCL manga, which I borrowed from my friend Mallory. I liked the raw style of it. Storywise, it is less hidden by extra tidbits, but I like the layers of the show's plotline.