OtakuBoards

Guild Wars

Drix D'Zanth

I've wanted to play the game for a long time now, but never really got to buying it. Now that I have a new computer and extra money, I need some help on deciding.

Which chapter should I get? I know I can play both independently, but if I buy Fractions, will I be able to transfer my character to Prophecies?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Meggido']I have a friend who started a assassin. My first reaction was to laugh when he commented that he died way too easily. have you tried a ritualist yet Desi?[/quote][color=#4B0082]Heh, I wonder if he was trying to play it like a warrior. That's one surefire way to get slaughtered as an assassin. So far I've played for about 10 hours, I think, and have died 28 times. Compared to others in my guild, I'm doing pretty good.

And I played a ritualist during the preview event. It was fun, but it was odd. Definitely unlike any of the other casters. After I get a ways with my assassin, I might start a rit in my other slot. Or if not then, I'll probably buy an extra character slot once that option is available and start one.[/color]

[quote name='Ayokano']Which chapter should I get? I know I can play both independently, but if I buy Fractions, will I be able to transfer my character to Prophecies?[/quote][color=#4B0082]If you get Factions you'll have access to Cantha and all eight professions, but you won't be able to access Tyria at all. In order to start new characters in Tyria or travel there with Canthan characters you'd have to buy Prophecies as well and add its access key to your account.

It doesn't matter what order you buy the chapters in, so you can just choose whichever looks more interesting to you. Though you should be aware that you can't start assassins or ritualists in Tyria, so if you want to play one of those, you'll need to get Factions.[/color]

Is Guild Wars a good game? I looked at it in Gamestop but I didn't really get a chance to LOOK at it, you know? Like, what is it about? Is it kind of like WoW with quests and stuff and not all the Night Elves, Orcs, Trolls, Undead, Gnomes, Taurens, and Dwarfs? Or what? I'm really interested. :catgirl:

[color=#4B0082]If you're looking for an overview of the storyline, the game's [url=http://www.guildwars.com/][u]website[/u][/url] has most of the lore and whatnot that comes in the game's intruction manual. There's also a lot of info on what the gameplay is like. So, if you're interested, I'd say to poke around there and see if you like what you see.

Though as of yet the site seems to be somewhat lacking in lore/information about Guild Wars Factions compared to the wealth of information on Prophecies. They do have a [url=http://www.guildwars.com/support/faq/guildwarsfactions-faq.php][u]Factions FAQ[/u][/url] with some information, but mostly in relation to people who already have Prophecies buying Factions.

If you're still wondering about anything not covered on the site, I can probably give you more information on whatever it is.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Besides me and Meggido here, I see Boo online a fair bit, though he's on the European servers now. He has Factions and has made a ritualist. Alex (aka Brasil) is also still active. He followed me over to Fifteen Over Fifty about a week ago, and his collector's edition of Factions should be arriving in a couple days.

Unfortunately, I don't really see any of the other OB people online anymore. I thought that maybe Factions would rekindle some interest, but nothing as of yet. :animesigh[/color]

I'm still playing the original as I don't have the money for factions. I'm also not on overly much at the moment due to RL stuff. But I'm on occasionally.

Edit: Actually have the money for factions now and should be getting it within the week. Only just defeated Glint in prophecies though.

Wow Factions is addictive. Got collector's edition a few days ago, and I've already been automatically-logged off it after playing 6 hours straight a few times. The problem is that I'm newb so my character still sucks :(

[color=#4B0082]The game won't kick you for playing too long. It gives little notices for each hour you've been playing, but some people in my guild have gotten that up to 12+ hours without getting kicked from the game. (Some of that was AFK time, but still.) And I've gotten up to 5 hours myself, with little to no AFK time. I think you just got connection errors.

But yes, Factions has also sucked me in just like Prophecies did. I've already logged around 80 hours on Chloe, my assassin, plus a good while spent exploring on my monk to get the 100% exploration title. (I got it yesterday, by the way. ^_^) Chloe is close to the end of the game now and I'm currently working on getting enough amber for a set of 15k Kurzick armor for her.[/color]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I didn't buy factions yet, I planned too but unfortunately I grew bored of GW and waiting (even though I did get to try out the Assasin and Ritualist classes out a bit) and went over to WOW. Yes I know, but I wanted to get my character up to par when the expansion comes out. When I reach a certain level, I expect when I get bored of WOW, I'll eventually go back to GW again. One thing is for certain, the graphics in guild wars is impressive. While the graphics of Guild Wars is stunning, I think it does lack a certain player economy.

Unfortunately there, I have found no roleplaying or met anyone to really play with. I mostly stayed for Kabuki Troupe which is now practically dead. However, I'm re-thinking of getting the factions just to see the new land. I'm kind of hesitant because I haven't been playing in so long, I'm sure to die over a 1000x. It'll be like starting all over again. But I suppose I shouldn't be complaining, after all that's suppose to be the fun part right?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1]Everyone's here to help you get back up :P With factions, you don't leave the newbie part forever. That means that level 20s can just go help out level 2s.

I got bored of GW aswell a few months ago, but I made a new character and I liked it much better. Whee.

Just a question to anyone who knows... Is it true that you get a minipet after a year of playing Guild Wars? Somebody told me that. I'm not sure why I would want a passive thing following me around, but I still wondered :P[/size]

[color=#4B0082]Yes, on the anniversary of a character's creation, a birthday present appears in their inventory. Opening it (with a double click) will give you a random mini-pet. For more information, take a look at the [url=http://www.guildwars.com/events/ingame/birthdaypresents.php][u]Birthday Presents[/u][/url] page on GuildWars.com.

I'll be getting one in about a month, and another a couple weeks after that, on Arik and Amelia. I'm hoping for a mini Burning Titan for Amelia, and maybe a Fungal Wallow for Arik. The rest don't interest me overly much, however, so I'll be willing to trade if I don't get a titan.[/color]

ACtually I think I got a miniature from getting the Guild Wars: Factions collector's edition. I mean it's got to be no where near the first birthday of my main Salmac Neirat but early in playing Factions I got a message saying I could recieve a special bonus item. It was a green miniature and it looks like a chinese dragon of sorts.

Oh and QKT is practically dead now. As far as I know I'm like the only one in there that still plays and I'm considering joining another guild now.

That mini pet is so cool. Mine's a small chinese-style dragon aswell. Does everyone who got the Collector's Edition get the same pet?

Stupid college revision work. It's been 3 days since I last played GWF because of all the work I've been putting into my exams next week :animesigh

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, everyone who has the collector's edition gets a mini Kuunavang. (Isn't she just the [url=http://guildwars.com/gallery/screenshots/factions/gw147.php][u]cutest[/u][/url]? . . . I meant the dragon, I swear. ;)) It isn't available as one of the standard birthday present ones, so it's unique to the collector's edition. Which also means that you'll still get one of the others when a character turns one year old.[/color]

[SIZE=1]yay. Yes she is very cute....i mean the dragon aswell, obviously... :animenose

Anyone else just reached the mainland? I got there a few days ago. I was level 17. I formed a party of 7 henchmen - they're all level 20 by this point. My first battle in the mainland we faught about 2 or 3 groups of Jade Warriors. I got completely [b]owned[/b] :animecry: and none of my party were reviving me.

The moral of the stroy? AI henchmen make good team mates as long as you stay alive[/SIZE]

[size=1]Jade Brotherhood are really [i]too[/i] strong for henchmen. ArenaNet hates Humanity, I'm sure of it. Am Fah are really weak, though.

Now once more to the topic of the mini pets: they appear when carrying an item with you or something?[/size]

[SIZE=1]I just bought Guild Wars Factions today and made myself an Elementalist by the name of Salath Desriel. He's orange, and you'll usually find him dancing in the European server >_>

Just thought I'd make my introduction to this thread, as I'll be trying to keep an eye on it. ^_^[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]Jade Brotherhood are one of the most dangerous things I've encountered in Factions while playing with henchies. And there's a very simple reason for that: Henchies get owned by AoE damage, and Jades do lots of AoE. The healer henchies just can't keep up, but if you're even half way decent as a monk, you can keep them alive fine. Trying to use henchies against them on my assassin was hell, but when I brought my monk over from Tyria, I breezed right through them.

There are a couple tips I can offer, though, for making them easier. First, you [i]always[/i] want to take the mages out first. They use Dragon Stomp and Double Dragon, which can decimate your henchies in no time at all if left unchecked. Next you should kill the ritualists, as they can do pretty nasty damage as well as heal a bit. Once you've killed them off, you can take your pick between the mesmers and knights, depending on which happen to be causing the most damage. I usually go for the mesmers first because they're easy to take down, but three knights all focusing their attacks is a force to be reckoned with.

As for mini-pets, they're an item that you keep in your inventory, and I think you can set whether or not they'll follow you while you're outside town. I know you can only have one following you at a time.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Thanks for the advice Desbreko. Managed to get past the Jade Brotherhood quite quickly after that :) but now the problem is the first mission of the mainland. And the problem is The Afflicted. They in themselves arent that dangerous, its just how many there are. I think last 2 or 3 times I tried it, I got 60% Death Penalty within the first 15 minutes. I need some real players to help with getting it done - the AI henchmen are useless for it. they never concentrate their attacks. Anyone on the OB who haven't done that mission yet want to try together?

Concerning Mini-Pets, some my consider them to be a waste of inventory space as they don't really do anything and you can only show them off to your party out of a town or outpost, but they're so cute![/SIZE]

That first mission was a pain. I only finished it recently and only got a single sword rank. Originally I did it with henchmen and couldn't get past the second room of waves. Not because of death penalty but because the other group (usually all henchmen) would let Mhenlo die. I somehow got into a group and got through it but only with a single sword rank. It would be difficult to get Master rank as it's a timed mission for that aspect and it took my group 32mins. Story starts to get pretty cool from that point though.

[color=#4B0082]Vizunah Square is quite the pain to do with all henchies. Just the sheer number of explosions going off from the afflicted dying can take them down. Something that will help more than probably anything else, though, is if you can get a minion master necro--heck, even two, there's so many corpses--in your group. A pack of ten or twenty bone fiends will both cause a lot of damage as well as take a lot of damage in your place.

Oh, and to get the henchies to focus their attacks, you can call targets (Ctrl+Space to call and attack or Ctrl+Shift+Space to just call) and then they'll focus on whatever you call. It can take a bit to get used to calling targets even though there's no other humans in the party, but it helps a lot.

Tips for fighting the afflicted in Vizunah Square:

[list]
[*]Take out ritualists first, because they can resurrect with Flesh of My Flesh. Despite what you might think, the monks aren't actually much of a bother compared to the rits and elementalists.
[*]The eles use Mind Burn and Lightning Orb for some nasty spike damage, as well as Lava Arrows for AoE, so kill them after the rits. Next take down the monks, then the assassins, then warriors, then rangers, then mesmers.
[*]Bring the earth henchie and he'll use Ward Against Melee, which will really cut down on the amount of damage you'll take from the wars and assassins, making them not as much of a threat.
[*]The more powerful an afflicted is, the more damage its explosion will cause, so if you're playing a melee class--especially an assassin--back off before killing an afflicted boss and let the ranged classes finish it off.
[*]Don't stray too far from Togo and Mhenlo during battle. Henchie monks can only heal if they're in range and they will follow you out of range if you go too far.
[/list][/color]

Scribes have said "And in the world of Tyria, there walked a familiar former Site Administrator-turned-Warrior..."

[center][url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9052/charles7cn.png[/img][/url]
[/center]

"After my OtakuBoards career, I moved through cyberspace into the world of Guild Wars" quod he.

[color=#4B0082]Heh, that's pretty awesome. The resemblance is crazy. Though I wonder if that also goes for the nipple? . . .

I guess I should get a shot of my new warrior (Edward Montblanc has returned!) up here. He's just in the standard canthan style armor, though, so no nipple this time around. And he's using hammers this time, which have been fun so far. After playing a ranger and using a composite/longbow a lot, I've kind of gotten used to a slower attack speed, and there's just something satisfying about beating things down with a huge hammer.

Probably not a lot of people would think of a hammer warrior as a tank, considering you've got no shield, but through the magic of, well, earth magic, I've been making it work. With Armor of Earth and "Watch Yourself!" I've been doing pretty good at soaking up damage while at the same time putting the beat down with knockdowns and Aftershock. It's a fun combo, though if the going gets tough and I need to seriously tank, I'll probably be playing around with sword builds as well.

Oh, and if anyone is still on Shing Jea Island and wants some help, Eddie and Smurf's ritualist both just got to the Zen Daijun mission earlier today. I'm avoiding the quest Captured Son for now, since I'm trying to get the Survivor title on Eddie (which requires you get to level 20 with zero deaths), but I can help out with everything else on the island. Just give me a holler if you see me in game.[/color]