OtakuBoards

Guild Wars

Drix D'Zanth

[font=arial]Well, I'm late to the party (as is often the case these days), but I finally purchased Guild Wars: Nightfall. I was lucky because despite my lateness, I still managed to snag a Collector's Edition version.

At first I was a bit hesitant to go ahead with Nightfall, because I've barely played Factions. But having said that, I didn't want to miss the Collector's Edition and I figure I can always go back and play through Factions when I want to - the ability to seamlessly move between games is really good in that sense.

I have to say though, even early on, I'm enjoying Nightfall much more than Factions. The Hero system is something I've been asking for for a long time now - I'm sure some of you will remember the amount of times I used to whine that we couldn't command NPCs to resurrect us in battle...especially when the healer would go off and do something illogical (like fighting a group of enemies on their own instead of resurrecting the human players immediately). It's nice to have some serious control over allies now. It's also nice to have NPCs who are significantly more effective than henchmen in general.

I'm assuming some of you guys have already finished Nightfall. I've chosen a Paragon for the game and I'm wondering if anyone has any general tips about Paragons. Also, what is your favourite profession in Nightfall (out of the new professions, that is)?[/font]

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font=arial]I've just taken on a second profession and I'm still going on the first island. I've had the chance to play a fair bit today, so I'm clearing out a lot of quests. Anyone can feel free to join me if you see me online. :catgirl: [/font]

• 2 weeks later...
Not feeling my new NF Ele so far, and I accidentally selected Ranger for my secondary, so I'm thinking I might remake the character. Plus, my original idea for E/P and They're On Fire! wouldn't have worked, because ToF is linked to Leadership, the paragon's primary attribute, which means it'll suck majorly on an E/P.

So yeah. My ele is only level 5, so I could probably run around with you guys a bit. I'm hoping I get some really fun ele spells soon. Otherwise I'm going to be bored, heh.

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I bought Nightfall at release, but with my net connection out for two weeks my new paragon is still only level 7. We should meet up and storm the newbie island together.[/color][/quote]

[font=arial]Sounds good. I haven't played for a week or so, but my character is somewhere around Level 10 I think. Hopefully I'll see you on there soon![/font]

[color=#4B0082]So I played Mirelle (my paragon) for eight hours straight on Saturday. I think having my net connection down, and then being busy and not having any time to play once it was back, kind of sent me into withdrawal. It felt so good to sit down and not care about the hours passing. :catgirl:

I'm at Blacktide Den, the third mission, now. Mirelle is level 14, I think it is, and I've been gathering a few more heroes. I got an ele for one of them and now I'm managing three heroes as well as myself. (It's annoying, but he doesn't seem to want to use both Elemental Attunement and Fire Attunement at the same time, so I have to do it for him.) When I stop and actually think about everything I'm doing--spear attacks, untargeted shouts/chants, targeting party members for Mending Refrain, targeting and using three heroes' skills--it seems completely crazy, but I think I'm getting pretty good at it. Being a paragon and mainly sitting back and shouting also makes it easier, since I'm not having to be as active with my own targeting and attacks.

I can't wait to get farther into the game (and off newbie island). Nightfall looks like it's going to be really awesome.[/color]

[font=arial]Hopefully I will get some time to sit down with the game this weekend as well - my P/N still hasn't reached First Spear, although I've been clearing out all of the quests thusfar. Hopefully I'll be able to join you in the coming days, Des.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Neil might want that . . . if he used tactics. [/color][/quote]

Holy Hell, someone remembered who I am...

Hello, everyone. Work and school aside, and a new computer, and not being able to find my GW CD for three months, I am finally re(re-re-re) installing the game and might even [b]play[/b] it sometime this decade.

...Horrah, just in time to shell out another fifty bucks for another expansion...

Not like I need my paycheck anyway, with cell phones, rent, and electricity bills.

...Screw it. I can finally rebuild my Pike from Priston Tale.

Here's to the fun. *drinks some eggnog*

[spoiler]Someone shout at me sometime in-game. Demos Huragesh is still active, as should Amatros of the Pyre. I forget what my little midget of an Assassin is named, but he just might be axed in favor of some spear-stabbing goodness.[/spoiler]

For future reference, if you just Google "guild wars client", you'll be given a link to the official download. As long as you have an account, you can log in and play as if you had the CD. You can access the expansions through it too.

So you won't need the CD to re-install or anything else.

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, you can just go to [url]www.guildwars.com[/url] and they have a big "Download the Client" button on the front page. No CDs required but it [i]is[/i] a huge-*** download, especially if you're on 56k. And then there's tons of crap to stream each time you load a new zone, too.

Oh, and it looks like [url=http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646706][u]GameStop[/u][/url] still has Nightfall on sale for $25, at least online.

I'll keep an eye out for you in game, Neil. If you do get Nightfall I can bring one of my characters through along with you.[/color]

• 7 months later...
[SIZE="1"]Yeah, thread necromancy is an evil thing. I know. :animesmil

Anyway, after Jamie brought it up in a conversation last night, I reinstalled Guild Wars earlier this evening and finally got onto Guild Wars Prophecies a few minutes ago, and I have to admit I was utterly overwhelmed by the scope of it. Besides barely believing I was able to download everything in a relatively quick time, I felt totally out of my depth and hadn't a clue of what I was supposed to do aside from run towards the large green thing on the map.

[[B]Edit[/b]] Might as well add my character's details.

Alexander Corvidae
Warrior Level 1
European Server[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Ya know. I've really been thinking about re-installing Guild Wars. I don't have any of the expansions or nuffin' but I have the base game and I love it but I don't know how much I'd play it considering I play WoW.
Get WoW all of you. Now.

Oh, right, sorry. This is a Guild Wars thread.

Anyway, I never ever got a character to level 20. I know I had like a few level 10s. My favorite spec being Elementalist/Necromancer and Warrior/Necromancer. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I guess I'm not the only one who recently re-installed Guild Wars. My main is still the same (Petie of Ascalon, Level 19 Warrior/Ranger) though, like silpheedpilot, WoW occupies most of my computer based game time.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I really have to re-compile my list of online names/friend codes for the sticky now that I'm thinking about it.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Joe, Petie, I can't believe you play that bloated, swelled, mess of a game.

I've recently started playing GW again.

My main character is a N/X, Jade Ashland. Though she isn't quite my main character, per se, these days. She's just my oldest current character. Certainly not my first, though.

I'm on my Paragon (Czenzi Ormonde) or Warrior (Duncan Peter Hall) the most, I think. I occasionally hop on my Ranger, Mila Ashland, and my Assassin, Arianna Starr. I have a Ritualist, but I only use him to farm these days. Sucks how hard they nerfed the class.

[color=#4B0082]I still play occasionally, though not nearly as much as I used to. I've kind of gotten bored with the game since I don't have much left that I care to do until Eye of the North is released.

My main character is still Arik Desbreko and you can see my full list on my [url=http://www.wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Desbreko][u]GW Wiki user page[/u][/url]. Give me a holler on AIM if you see me online and want to do something in game. I have leet skillz so just ask if you need help with a mission or something. :cool:

I'm on the American servers but we can meet in international districts if needed.[/color]

[size=1]Since a week I have my internet back, finally. This also means I'll occasionally show my face in Guild Wars. When it comes to healing I'm quite good, so if you ever need help with anything, just yell. Just don't ask me if I can come to places in Nightfall, because I can't and I doubt that I'll soon be able too as I don't want to spend money on it. I might get GW:EN, though. The increased map of Tyria caught my eye.

My Monk is named [b]Sylvia Esterbeek[/b]. If you'd asked me a year before I would've also offered you my running skills, but since ANet nerfed the running with Nightfall, I can't do much good. W/Mo can't cut it anymore at Droknar's, though I got reasonably far. :P[/size]

[SIZE="1"]Shouldn't that be l33t 5k1llz Des ? Or is my l33t speak off again. :animesmil

Anyway met up with Alex (and Boo) yesterday evening in the International District and had some party fun, though mostly it just involved me running after Alex while he exclaimed how easily things come back and then killing a bunch of stuff.

I'll almost certainly get Eye of the North when it comes out, and hopefully get a better idea of how the play the game seeing as a few of my fellow OBers will be around. But crap to the fact it comes out two days before I return for senior year.

Just out of curiosity what would people recommend as the secondary class for a warrior ? I've no real idea in my own head, so I'm open to any suggestions. [/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
[color=#4B0082]I never got why people clamored to get the tormented weapons. The shield is probably the best of them but, honestly, I think they're all pretty ugly. Dark and twisted might match my personality but I don't want it to match my appearance too. ;)

On my warrior I use Sunspear armor dyed silver, a Dual Winged Axe, and a Jaquii's Aegis (diamond aegis skin dyed silver). Though I'm hoping GWEN will add a warrior armor set that looks better than Sunspear when you dye it silver. All of the Prophecies, Factions, and most of Nightfall sets are too dark and the design of the Sunspear set doesn't quite do it for me.

Speaking of Eye of the North, is anyone else here buying it? I got my access key last night in the GW online store, though I haven't actually been able to play it yet, other than what I did in the early access preview, since we had to wait till midnight. Over the coming weeks I'm going to be playing through it along with the guild and alliance I'm in but if anyone else wants to join me, just send me a whisper; my main character is Arik Desbreko.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I looked around and couldn't find anything about that error code. Does it say anything else when it gives you the error or is it just the number?

In other news, I'm loving the new skill sets that they've given the henchmen in GWEN. Being able to have two decent warriors, a warder elementalist, and a decent protection monk as henchies frees up my hero slots so I can bring both minion master and Spiteful Spirit necromancers plus a Barage/Go for the Eyes ranger/paragon. And then I play a Light of Deliverance healing monk as the last party member (Mhenlo can also fill this spot if you're not a monk), of course. I haven't found anything yet that I can't just roll through with this party setup.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Depending on the severity of my work load from high school, I may pick up Eye of the North next Friday. I've not done any research on it, but is GW:EN mostly for high level characters, or is anyone else going to go with a new character off the bat ?[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Depending on the severity of my work load from high school, I may pick up Eye of the North next Friday. I've not done any research on it, but is GW:EN mostly for high level characters, or is anyone else going to go with a new character off the bat ?[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]In fact, it's [i]only[/i] for level 20 characters, if I recall correctly. :p[/size]