OtakuBoards

Guild Wars

Drix D'Zanth

[color=#4B0082]I suppose that had something to do with my choosing necro as my ranger's secondary. ... But mainly it was just because I didn't have any other characters with necro primary or secondary, and I thought death magic would work well with ranger. So far I'm finding I'm right, as sitting back and shooting things while sending minions to fight up close, or setting off putrid explosions, is a lot of fun.

Arik and Amelia are still my two favorites, though. Healing and burning -- how can you go wrong?[/color]

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=teal]For your first character, I'd say that an Elementalist would be the easiest to understand and control. It seems that's what many people go for when they first get Guild Wars. It's really a choice you'll have to think about and see what you'd be more comfortable in playing. A Warrior would be good too. You do more hand-to-hand combat, and you don't have to worry about conjuring up too many spells, magic, and the like.

It's all about personal preference. They're all easy to use/understand..and besides, you have all of us to help you out ^_^[/color]

[quote name='Roflocopter']Please do not ignore this post.... -.-[/quote]
o_0??

[quote]Ok i just got GW and I wanted to know what the most user friendly class was. Could someone please tell me?[/QUOTE]
Well...thing is, there's really no class like that. I mean, each class has their own strengths and weaknesses. One player will do better with Ranger than another will, and another player could do better with a Mesmer than with a Warrior.

So...to answer your question, there really isn't the "most user friendly class." I suppose there are some that are easier than others, but that's largely due to individual playstyles rather than ease of professions, I think.

If I had to break it down into total simplistic, black and white terms, though? Either Elementalists or Warriors. It seems that they're the "more accessible" classes from the beginning. All the other classes require much more advanced tactics to be as successful, I think.

Mesmers need to stay on their toes completely and read the entire battlefield all the time.

Rangers need faster reflexes than most to be able to lay down suppression fire--you could say Rangers are good containment fighters.

Necromancers have lots of Hexes to throw around and kind of behave like Mesmers do. Speaking from personal experience, Necromancers and Mesmers are the two deadliest, most dangerous classes in the game when played well. They can obliterate just about anything except other Necros and Mesmers of a similar skill level.

Monks, well...a lousy Monk is going to doom a team, so I'm not sure if brand spanking new players should necessarily go with Monk.

So...yeah. I don't fully believe everything I've written here, because it's much more complicated than my summation above. But for the purposes of the question...yeah. heh

[color=#4B0082]I'd have to agree that warrior and elementalist are probably the two easiest classes to start out with. Both have the same depth as the other classes, but it's pretty easy to just hack away at things or toss spells around and still do okay. Playing a ranger, or mesmer, or necro, things are more complicated right from the start. And monk ... yes, an unskilled monk will indeed doom a group. So unless you really want to do healing and you know your place in a party (i.e. you stay with the group, don't aggro, and focus on healing), or unless you mainly just want to do smiting, I wouldn't really recommend it for a first character.

But still, it mainly just comes down to preference. What you think you'd enjoy, and what you think you'd be good at. Myself, I did actually start out with a monk for my first character and I did fine, but I've always enjoyed playing healer roles, so it came pretty easy for me. If you have any preference, I'd say just go with that, then learn as you go. You may not be the greatest player for a while, but chances are, you'll enjoy the game more if you're playing a role you actually want to play, rather than playing something just because it's easy.[/color]

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I started out as an Elementalist/Mesmer. I've always liked being able to summon lightning, and blitzkrieg wind spells. Mesmer abilities also let you interrupt, and spike* other players.
[i]*"spike", in this context means that when someone casts a spell, that spell fails miserably, and that character takes a chunk-o'-damage. I.E. as a 'consequence' I place on him.[/i]

My second character is a Ranger/Necromancer. That's gonna be fun. And my character after that's gonna have a Necro. primary of some sort.

It's really all about playing style, as all have said. If you like the hack-'n-slash, go Warrior. Spells, pick one of any 4 mage classes. There's no Jack-Of-All-Trades in this game. You need a good team to suppliment your own strengths, and fill-in others' weaknesses.
An Aeromancer's not gonna have those high-fire skills, but a Pyromancer won't be able to cast Lightning on someone, around a huge Redwood. At the same time, someone geared toward attacking and "nuking" skills won't have the slots open for healing stuff [i](if they're even available)[/i].
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hey everybody, i just joined the Quantum Kabuki Troupe a few days ago, i was invited when i was a low lvl character in pre-searing and i grouped with Annie's Ranger. Anyways i guess you can say i'm a noob,cause i haven't played Guild Wars for that long, my highest level Character is a lvl8 monk/elementalist named Callaran Peaceheart. Everybody is pretty nice in the guild, so thats something i'm happy about. Thats pretty much all i have to say, so i guess i'll go play Guild Wars now :p

Hmm, well it looks like I've fixed the problem which made it impossible for me to even access OB almost all the time, so that's good.

Anyway, I've now effectively finished the game with Seth, so I'll probably start focusing more on PvP with him. And I started a new character a few days back, an Elementalist by the name of Miss Thistle, whom I should really get past Pre-Searing soon. And on an un-related note, it'd be great if we could get a get a group together who've got to the Temple of the Ages and try out the Underworld or the Fissure of Woe. Apparently they're both quite the large challenge.

Oh, and congratulations on the victory in the second Guild Vs Guild battle, which raised our Rating to 1,040! I missed it though, as I couldn't connect to Guild Wars for some reason, otherwise I would've been there. Oh, well. :(

You guys need to get it out there when you're going to do Guild vs. Guild stuff so people liike myself can join in. I've not been frequenting the game lately, so it'd be nice to be told when such a thing is happening either here on OB or by any other means of communication that's possible. . .AIM, etc., etc. That way if I'm around when it's happening I can join in, you know?

Most of every time I see you online, you're always idling or away, or both. Maybe you should make yourself more available :p I <3 you, you know this. But seriously, whenever I'm not in-game, you're available..and when I'm in game, you're not XD Otherwise, I'd ask you to jump in with us. If you're up for it later on tonight, give me a holler, I'd like to do a battle again.

Oh, and welcome to the OB, Scott!

Figured it may be fun to post particular character builds here, let people know what we're thinking, what types of strategies we're using. Here's a build I designed the other day. Mostly, it's an anti-caster build, but it can also serve to severely punish melee fighters.

The Edge is a really useful program in mapping out builds. Very comprehensive stuff.

[quote]The Edge - Guild Wars Utility
[url]http://www.sovereignlegion.com/downloads/theedge.htm[/url]

Class: Necromancer / Mesmer

Attributes: (cost) '+' indicates Rune attributes
Soul Reaping: 5+1 (15)
Blood Magic: 9+3 (48)
Curses: 10+3 (61)
Death Magic: 5 (15)
Domination Magic: 10 (61)

Total attribute points used: 200/200

Skills: [Attribute] (Energy, Cast Time, Recharge TIme)
1) Vampiric Gaze [Blood Magic] (10,1,5) Spell: Steal 52 health from target foe.[Ascalon City (Sir Bertran) Quest: Necromancer Test]

2) Life Siphon [Blood Magic] (10,2,2) Hex: For 22 seconds, target suffers health degeneration of 3, and you gain health regeneration of 3.[Ascalon City (Sir Bertran) Quest: The Stolen Artifact]

3) Well of the Profane [Death Magic] (25,3,10) Spell: Exploit nearest corpse to create a well of the profane at its location. For 12 seconds, foes in that area are stripped of all enchantments and cannot be the target of further enchantments. (50% failure chance with Death Magic 4 or less.)[Droknar's Forge (Bartoch) Quest: The Misplaced Sword (Heroes Audience)]

4) Empathy [Domination Magic] (10,2,10) Hex: For 16 seconds, whenever target foe attacks, that foe takes 21 damage.[Ascalon City (Sir Bertran) Quest: Mesmer Test]

5) Spiteful Spirit [Curses] (15,2,10) Hex: For 19 seconds, whenever target foe attacks or uses a skill, Spiteful Spirit deals 31 shadow damage to that foe and all adjacent foes. This is an elite skill[Boss: Night Spinechill (Talus Chute), Ceru Gloomrunner (Iron Mines of Moladune), Shadowlord Vogris (Fissure of Woe)]

6) Mark of Subversion [Blood Magic] (10,2,30) Hex: For 9 seconds, the next time target foe casts a spell on an ally, the spell fails and you steal 76 health from that foe.[Ice Tooth Cave (Marna)]

7) Backfire [Domination Magic] (15,3,20) Hex: For 10 seconds, whenever target foe casts a spell, that foe takes 105 damage.[Ascalon City (Sir Bertran)]

8) Shame [Domination Magic] (10,2,30) Hex: For 8 seconds, the next time target foe casts a spell on an ally, the spell fails, you steal 11 energy from that foe, and Shame ends.[Ascalon Settlement (Captain Greywind)][/quote]

[CENTER][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/PurpleFire/yazela.jpg[/img]
[SIZE=1][i]Tired of savaging goods? Wish you could get the materials you need without traveling?
Well your worries have been solved![/i]
[b]Keep noticed for updates[/b]

:: In Stock ::
[COLOR=Orange][u]Common Goods[/u][/COLOR]
Shells - 40
Plant Fibers - 8
Iron Ingots - 23
Piles of Glittering Dust - 42
Bones - 48
Granite Slabs - 6

[COLOR=Green][u]Rare Materials[/u][/COLOR]
Roll of Parchment - 1
Bolt of Silk - 2
Steel Ingot - 1
Fur Square - 1

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][u]Other Items[/u][/COLOR]
[b]Dyes :[/b]
Red 1
Yellow 1
Purple 1
[b]Upgrade Components[/b]
Hammer Grip
[COLOR=Deepskyblue] Unidentified[/COLOR]
Axe Grip
[COLOR=Deepskyblue] Unidentified[/COLOR]
Rune
[COLOR=Deepskyblue]Unidentified[/COLOR]

I'm very willing to take special orders and if your looking for something that I do not hold in possession with me at the moment, I'm willing to get it for you. All that I ask is that you please not re-sell the items and use it for your own benefit and that you are also a part of the guild. Send /whisper to [b]Yazela Dubrin[/b]. Can't wait to hear from you! [/SIZE][/CENTER]

hey all, finally got Cal to lvl 12, and i also started on my two new alts,Skadi the Necro/monk and my new W/R. Well i came here to say welcome to the guild Neil! i'm sure you've already grouped with much of our members, including me, and i hope you have a fun time in the QKT!

[color=gray][size=1]Okay lads I have some runes, dyes and more stuff which I'll put up now, but first I have an iny tiny request. Stuff in the forge is rediculously expensive in my eyes, so I'm now collecting linen (for sacred, wanderer's is ugly >>) and cloth for equipment. Unless someone ofcourse has a better idea.

[b]Merchant Boo[/b]

[u][i]Minor Runes[/i][/u]

[list]Warrior, Minor Hammer Mastery[/list]
[list]Ranger, Minor Wilderness Survival[/list]
[list]Mesmer, Minor Inspiration Magic[/list]

[u][i]Major Runes[/i][/u]

[list]Mesmer, Major Illusion Magic[/list]

[u][i]Superior[/i][/u]

[list]Mesmer, Superior Inspiration Magic[/list]

[u][i]Dyes[/i][/u]

[list][color=green]Green[/color][/list]
[list][color=orange]Orange[/color][/list]

[u][i]Upgrade Components[/i][/u]

[list]Bowgrip of Marksmanship - [i]Marksmanship +1 (11% chance while using skills)[/i][/list]

[i][u]Materials[/u][/i] (they're quite lame, but I'll put them up anyway)

[list][b]43[/b] shells[/list]
[list][b]1[/b] bolt of silk[/list]
[list][b]19[/b] Piles of Glittering Dust[/list]
[list][b]117[/b] Bones[/list]

That's all for today.[/color][/size]

[color=#4B0082]I have tons of common materials if anyone needs stuff for armor. I currently have...

639 Bolts of Cloth
672 Bones
050 Feathers
201 Piles of Glittering Dust
210 Granite Slabs
437 Iron Ingots
173 Plant Fibers
248 Shells
737 Tanned Hide Squares
561 Wood Planks

I also have some rare materials, but I still have three more characters to buy armor for, so I'm a bit stingier with those, heh. Contact me in game with what and how much you need and I might be able to help you out.[/color]

...Good God Des.

I'd buy some of those Iron Ingots off of you if you like.

Anyway, hi. Finally got Guild Wars and went ahead with my plans and made a Warrior/Necromancer named [b]Demos Huragesh[/b]. Big ol' dude, too. He works out nicely, already at level eight in about twenty~twenty-five hours of gameplay, so I think I'm doing fairly nice for myself. My only problem so far is Charrs, and only when I get swarmed. =/ I'm a still a tad too used to Priston Tale and being able to run into a swarm of enemies and pwn with my main character who shared the same first name as this one.

But this game is like pure Columbian blow. Jesus, I can't stop playing even though I have enough lag to make going into Ascalon almost impossible, and it looks like this;

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Yeah Des, that really is incredible that you have that much right now. You were a huge help with my Warrior's armor but I was actually able to get the Ranger's armor myself with what I had saved up (though not anywhere near that much...).[/color][/font]

hey, ive gone through all the classes (apart from monk and necromancer who im doing now) But ive got a warrior/mo im keeping at level 20 if any of you need any help with anything give us a shout; "Davis Of Kryta"

Its a shame this is not a typical MMORPG, coz right now id really love one, they are more casual =)

[color=#4B0082]I do a lot of salvaging, and I keep all the crafting materials I get. ... So yeah, they start to build up after a while. They really need to add guild storage so I can dump some of my common materials in there for public guild use -- I'm running out of space here. :animestun

My stock of steel, linen, and silk mainly has to do with how much I play Arik and Amelia, since I can salvage those from drops in the later areas of the game by using an expert kit. (With a decent chance of actually getting the rare materials instead of common ones, that is.) So whenever I get around to going through the ascension missions with Amelia, or going on in the story with Arik, I should get some more.[/color]

Hi there. Have some crap I need cleaned out, and I felt the Guild should have first pickins.

[b]:: Runes ::[/b]

[u]Necromancer:[/u]

[i]Necromancer Rune of Major Curses[/i]

[u]Ranger:[/u]

[i]Ranger Rune of Major Beast Mastery[/i]

[u]Mesmer:[/u]

[i]Mesmer Rune of Major Inspiration Magic[/i]

[u]Elementalist:[/u]

[i]Elementalist Rune of Major Earth Magic[/i]

[u]Monk:[/u]

[i]Monk Rune of Major Protection Prayers[/i]

[i]Monk Rune of Major Healing Prayers[/i]

[i]Monk Rune of Major Divine Favor[/i]

[u]Warrior:[/u]

[i]Warrior Rune of Minor Axe Mastery[/i]

Please, even if you think you only might use them, ask for them. I need to get rid of them and I don't have the patience or the RAM necessary to wait in Asca to sell. >:[

[size=1][color=gray]What happens in the Guild Hall...

[b]WARNING: Rated M for extremely mature![/b]
[URL=http://img281.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw0899nr.png][IMG]http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/7074/gw0899nr.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

Now I think it's time to run.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1][color=gray]What happens in the Guild Hall...

[b]WARNING: Rated M for extremely mature![/b]
[URL=http://img281.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw0899nr.png][IMG]http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/7074/gw0899nr.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

Now I think it's time to run.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Uhh that is more than a little disturbing Boo, I'm just wondering who's characters are involved in that little scene ? [/SIZE]