OtakuBoards

what's your favorite type of music?

MidoriWaterfall

Sorry for my 'jackassedness', everybody. I shouldn't have attacked Fall the way I did, but he and I have addressed this to each other, so I hope that's going well. I promise not to be like that ever again, and I'm sorry to anyone who's feelings I've hurt or beliefs I've offended. I promise I'm not as much of an @$$hole as you've probably been led to believe... Please everybody, give me a second chance. I've conceded my argument with Fall, he won hands down (though my beliefs on the subject haven't changed).

And I sure hope no-one else hits me in the face with a frying pan again. That hurt! :animeswea

Okay, here goes my fresh start post! I'm going to answer the thread topic without using "Metal" as an umbrella term, seeing as my view on this differs from almost everybody else's.

I love many kinds of music, but my absolute favorite kind of "metal" is fast and melodic. Lots and lots and lots of guitar solos, really fast riffs and harmonies, stuff like that. I'm also very keen on keyboards too! I love atmospheric keyboards as well as the up-front kind with solos and melody lines. Vocals don't really matter to me, as I like most types. I don't like most of the yelpy or high pitched screaming in hardcore bands, but the more gutteral raspy vocals (like Children of Bodom, Kalmah, or Nightrage) are good for me. I also love melodic vocals like Tarja Turunen's (Nightwish - beautiful opera vocals and full-on symphonic arrangements!) or Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica - Now THIS guy can sing, man!). Some Death vocals are alright, but they have to be REALLY good (like Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth - best growl out there, [I]and[/I] the guy is an amazing singer!). In other words, I love really pretty music that has a rougher edge.

When I'm in the mood, really brutal stuff gets me going. I like it deep and insanely technical, like Nile or Necrophagist. Those fingers have got to be flying all over that fretboard! Really technical death metal can be amazing if the band can actually pull it off.

One of my favorite types of music is when metal is mixed with Folk elements ("Folk Metal" - but everyone hates subgenres :animesigh). Like Cruachan (traditional Celtic fiddle and pennywhistle jigs mixed with electric guitars) or Finntroll (Finnish Humpaa music mixed with Black Metal). Finntroll is one of my favorite bands ever! The only band in the world who can pull off the sounds of fiddles, flutes, AND accordians mixed with a blitz of double-bass pattern drumming and crunchy electric guitars! Great stuff - it's almost like 'party metal'! You can just as easily dance a jig as headbang to their music. Just awesome!

I also enjoy trance, my favorite artists being DJ Tiesto and Ayla. I love the ethereal, mystical feel of trance, and it's beautiful simplicity sometimes offers me a break from the complexitites of metal.

And finally, the roots of my love for music, the great classical composers! Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Tchiaovsky (sp) - all of them. Classical music is one of the most amazing styles out there. If anyone's interested, just ask Tyler Koregaten - that kid knows his stuff when it comes to classical!

I hope that's alright for a second start... sorry everbody! Hopefully this is a little better.

Oh, and speaking of you, Tyler, I'm curious - that link didn't work for me, but I did see that it was a Children of Bodom tune. Which song did you link to? They're all awesome of course, I'm just curious as to which one you chose.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animation OST:cowboybebop...
japanese visual rock
mad capsule market
DJ krush
hooverphonic
nine inch nails
lydia lunch
radiohead
fear factory
aphex twin
cibo matto
...... too wide to list all :animenose
Children of Bodom! luv it! finland devil

I don't feel like causing anymore controversy within this thread since a certain person has been arguing 'what is' and 'what isn't' metal; my favorite genre of metal is black metal. I don't know who said it but just because it says metal in the name does not mean that it is anywhere near to what another type of metal is. You don't go around telling someone that Dakrthrone sounds like Blind Guardian it just doesn't work. When you tear them both down to the seams they don't sound alike at all.

Though as far as genre goes I think there are to many as it is and there are lot's of fake ones running around that people tend to use for a band that thinks they've come up with something amazing in their music. It makes the band seem original to theit fans but really they are just idiotic along with their fans that believe the same thing. Making up a new genre for every new band that comes out is just ignorant and the people that are in these bands don't seem to get that. It's always been divided like this though so we can decpiher what bands fit more closely together then further apart. The only reason I even use genres is because if I want something that sounds like Axis Perdition I'm not going to want them to recommend me Sonata Arctica, but rather Anaal Nathrakh.

Secondly and most importantly any band with the genre "Nu-Metal" tagged to them is not metal. In fact it's just the band trying to look "Hardcore" to their fans and to sell more cds in the process (not that there is anything wrong with selling cds it's just that these bands really have no talent for music in the first place and it's amazing that they do.) The reason they are not metal is simply because every song they make has no metal structure. Listen to them (examples are Korn, System of a Down and Slipknot) and listen to a metal band you'll notice a huge difference. Try not to become confused because the "Nu-Metal" band has screaming and rough vocals in their music; vocals don't make the music. There is another genre called "Grindcore" which is an offshoot of punk that contains rough vocals and people confuse it for metal all the time.

Anyways let me elaborate on this my favorite genre of METAL is Black Metal not Thrash or Speed or Death or Power or Progressive or Doom, just Black Metal. (The main categories of metal have offshoots as well like from Black Metal there is Folk Metal and Viking Metal and from Doom Metal is Funeral Doom Metal and Sludge. I'm not making these up either these genres have been around for years and apply to plenty of bands.) Ok so now before I look like an elitist completely and make it seem that all I care about is the genre, well I have to remind you once again that I'm not one. You can argue all of this post it doesn't matter to me but I'm not going to argue unless I find the post incessently ignorant.

Ok so my favorite genre of all time isn't black metal but rather progressive rock so we will just make a list here.

Progressive Rock
-Pink Floyd

Black Metal
-Burzum
-Drudkh
-Negura Bunget
-Limbonic Art

Since I'm not a complete elitist I don't know what genre these bands really fit into, but rather mostly rock is the closest thing I can think of, obviously none of them sound in anyway the same though.
-The Cure
-Nine Inch Nails
-Air
-Coil

Anyways these bands top my list of what I enjoy the most.. I love putting on some classical every now and then or some folk music even and my musical tastes are very varried and range from just about every spectrum of music. Despite that I still cannot listen to Pop or Rap.

[font=Verdana][size=2][quote name='Amorphous][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][u][b]Secondly and most importantly any band with the genre "Nu-Metal" tagged to them is not metal.[/b] [b]In fact it's just the band trying to look "Hardcore" to their fans and to sell more cds in the process (not that there is anything wrong with selling cds it's just that these bands really have no talent for music in the first place and it's amazing that they do.)[/b'][/u][/quote][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2]That is the most bullshіt statement I have ever heard.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]"NuMetal" has to have come from some genre, it can't have just started out of nothing. I mean, it can have started the whole "trend" by itself, but it [i]has[/i] to be related to some kind of music. As with [i]every [/i]genre. It would have to have started from some kind of music.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]"NuMetal"'s music is related to Metal. As I've stated a thousand times before.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]I'm not about to get into a whole new arguement over the same thing, so basically, you're wrong. Read the debate between me and Jake. There's a valid arguement for both sides, whether you think "NuMetal" is Metal or not, it's up to you. It may not be "heavy metal", but it's damn-well related to it.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]As I've said before, also, there are many types of metal, this aligns well with all the [i]sub-genres[/i] out there (much to my dislike). "NuMetal" is one.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]Oh no... [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1][img]http://otakuboards.com/images/smilies/blackeye.gif[/img][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][quote name='Amorphous][b][u]The reason they are not metal is simply because every song they make has no metal structure.[/u][/b] Listen to them [u][b](examples are Korn, System of a Down and Slipknot)[/b][/u] and listen to a metal band you'll notice a huge difference. Try not to become confused because the "Nu-Metal" band has screaming and rough vocals in their music; vocals don't make the music. There is another genre called "Grindcore" which is an offshoot of punk that contains rough vocals and people confuse it for metal all the time.[/QUOTE][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2]Please, [i]please[/i], don't get me started again. Structure depends on the way you like music. The kind of music you like. If you like heavy stuff and breakdowns, you're not going to like Rap and Hip-Hop. You won't see any stucture in that music.[QUOTE=Amorphous']I still cannot listen to Pop or Rap.[/quote]...perfect example.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][font=Tahoma]--[/font]--[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Just for the record, I can see perfect structure in KoRn's music. Their earlier stuff is a bit more rough, but their most recent stuff, there should be no problem in seeing the "metal stucture" of their music. Same as Slipknot. Their earlier stuff is alot more rough than their newer stuff, and the "metal structure" they put into their music is alot more easier to pick up in their recent music.[/size][/font]

I see we have a nice discussion on metal subgenres and nu-metal going.

Personally, I like black/death/thrash metal. If you are confused by my username, check out my topic in the Otaku Lounge.

As for nu-metal: I don't care because nu-metal is dead anyway! ;)

[QUOTE=Fall]
[font=Verdana][size=2]"NuMetal"'s music is related to Metal. As I've stated a thousand times before.[/size][/font][/quote]

I'm not going to argue with you mainly because I think your straight fowardly wrong and you think I'm straight forwardly wrong, there is no point.

[FONT=Times New Roman]
Here's my first post being nice about it! :animesmil

I guess this is what the whole 'nu-mnetal isnt metal' thing comes down to. Fall, I know we disagree, but Amorphous is the [I]only[/I] person to be on my side, so I gotta ride along with it at least for a post or two.

Straight up - Korn is a great band! I love them! The ringtone on my cellphone is "Thoughtless" (a Korn song). Their songs don't have [I]bad[/I] structure, but they don't have [I]metal[/I] structure.

For example, listen to how (using Black Metal, 'cause Amorphous brought it up last time) Naglfar or Carpathian Forest writes a song. Compare it to Korn. Huge differnence! Not the way it sounds (I mean they sound way different, but that's not the thing to pay attention to), but the way the song is actually put together.

Now I do disagree with Amorphous' on none of them have any talent (listen to how Slipknot's songs were starting to sound there by the end! There were even a few guitar solos *gasp*). And I don't care what anyone says, it takes some true skill to coordinate 9 people to write a song. It's flippin rediculous doing the same with 4 or 5!

But anyway, nu-metal is just fine, but the reason it isn't metal is that it has no metal structure, ethos perse. Fall, if you started adding some of the metal we're talking about to your collection as well, you might start to notice a difference. Like I said, I love Korn and Slipknot and stuff, so none of this is against them.

Just pick up a Children of Bodom album, or earlier In Flames stuff, maybe some Opeth. You'll probably see what we're talking about. Granted, Nu-Metal is related in one way or another, but barely.

[QUOTE=Fall]
[font=Verdana][size=2]"NuMetal" has to have come from some genre, it can't have just started out of nothing. I mean, it can have started the whole "trend" by itself, but it [i]has[/i] to be related to some kind of music. As with [i]every [/i]genre. It would have to have started from some kind of music.[/size][/font]
[/QUOTE]
Yes it has to come from some genre; Nu-Metal comes from alternative rock, mostly the grunge scene out of Seattle in the early Nineties I mean it's pretty obvious. Nu-Metal seriously is not related to metal enough to say that it has any major metal influences in it. It's like Slipknot have influences from Black Sabbath... Umm someone show me a song and I'll beleive them. I mean seriously come on now, who are they trying to kid?

The only difference between me and you Jake of Bodom is I hate Nu-Metal utterly (and I tried to like it seriously, I mean at one point I thought that Slipknots first album was actually sort of ok) and my taste in metal varries quite a lot from yours, I'm not saying you have bad taste either I'm just saying chances are you wouldn't even know the metal bands I listen to.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
But anyway, nu-metal is just fine, but the reason it isn't metal is that it has no metal structure, ethos perse. Fall, if you started adding some of the metal we're talking about to your collection as well, you might start to notice a difference. Like I said, I love Korn and Slipknot and stuff, so none of this is against them.

Just pick up a Children of Bodom album, or earlier In Flames stuff, maybe some Opeth. You'll probably see what we're talking about. Granted, Nu-Metal is related in one way or another, but barely.[/QUOTE]I love In Flames, I own their albums The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, Reroute To Remain, and Soundtrack To Your Escape.

Pain, Trivium, Dry Kill Logic, Machine Head, Unearth. They're all awesome bands.

Children of Bodom, I don't mind them, their music is just too melodic for me. Those way technical guitar solos and what-not, that doesn't really appeal to me. Everytime I Die is an awesome song by them, though.

If you're talking about the way the music sounds, or is built, I can see where you're coming from, and it's plain to see that the differences we have on this kind of music clearly relates to what it sounds like.

Honestly, I [i]cannot[/i] stand those over-the-top melodic technical speedy guitar riffs and solos. This is most likely why I tend to have my liking to heavy music in the more "rough" or "stuctureless" "NuMetal" scene, as you may call it.

I can see structure in the music I like. I [i]can't[/i] see [i]any[/i] structure in Children of Bodom's music, for example (sorry.. :blackeye: ). I [i]can[/i] see there's metal [i]talent[/i], alot of it at that, but I can't relate to it in any way.

Without seeing any good structure, you can't see any good music.

This goes back to where I said...[quote name='Fall']Structure depends on the way you like music. The kind of music you like.[/quote];)

[quote name='Jake of Bodom][b][u]Granted, Nu-Metal is related in one way or another, but barely.[/u'][/b][/quote]Barely as it may be, it's still related. Some can see it, some can't, it's what you like in your music.

Hey, guys, I'm on Jake's side here. I agree that you should [I]actually try[/I] out the
metal we're talking about before criticizing it like that. Korn, Slipknot, and Children of Bodom are some of my favorite bands. This argument should have ended about twelve posts ago. But, if it continues, like I said, I'll be on Jake's side, hands down.
Another thing, Children of Bodom's musical structure stands out so much, it could just about slap you in the face.

[I]Ossenfjeld unsa dauten aans jossrjik bjeln assiuj katten Olschtt.[/I]
In my native language of Danish, that means "Try things before judging them like you tried them your entire life."

[I]Forrsje.[/I]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue]CHILDREN OF BODOM RULES CURRENT METAL AS WE KNOW IT.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Thank you.

Wait, wait, wait. Fall, I didn't say that Nu-Metal is structureless or has rough structure at all! Nu-Metal has plenty of thought-through structure! My brother just got into a nu-met band called Gizmachi - they have some super-complex song structures! Bands like Korn and whatnot have structure, it's just waaaaay different than that of metal. Like Amorphous said, Nu-Metal came from grunge and alt-rock with a light (or sometimes not so light *cough Limp Bizkit cough hurl*) sprinkling of hip-hop.

And as for your comment about Bodom's song structure, I disagree kindly but very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very firmly. Their structure is effing [I]brilliant[/I], solos and melody completely aside.

What do you think I mean by structure? We could just be on totally different pages here...

[QUOTE]Barely as it may be, it's still related. Some can see it, some can't, it's what you like in your music.[/QUOTE]
Okay, but just because it's related (and BARELY) still doesn't make it metal. Just like Black Sabbath doesn't play blues, but it's deeply influenced by it.

[QUOTE]CHILDREN OF BODOM RULES CURRENT METAL AS WE KNOW IT.[/QUOTE]
Thank you Tyler. You happen to be correct. \m/(>.<)\m/

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Like Amorphous said, Nu-Metal came from grunge and alt-rock with a light (or sometimes not so light *cough Limp Bizkit cough hurl*) sprinkling of hip-hop.[/quote]I can see that there's many different genre's in NuMetal alone. But you listen to some of the NuMetal bands out there. Grunge and Alternate-Rock can't have alone made some of the NuMetal bands around as heavy as they are.

For example, there is no Alternate-Rock in Spineshank. None at all.

And there is definately no Alternate-Rock in early Slipknot, for sure. They did not start off from a combination of Grunge and Alternate-Rock. So how's that work?

I can understand how there are some NuMetal bands that sound like they're more Alternate-Rock, than anything else.

But surely, you can see that not all NuMetal came from Alternate-Rock, or sometimes has [i]no[/i] Alternate-Rock in it at all.

Grunge, that's in nearly every-damn-thing these days.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom]And as for your comment about Bodom's song structure, I disagree kindly but very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very firmly. Their structure is effing [i]brilliant[/i'], solos and melody completely aside.[/quote]Obviously they have "structure", but in my view, it doesn't... [i]jump out at me[/i]. I can't see it. Honestly... and if I was going to, I'd have to strain my ears. All music needs structure, otherwise it wouldn't be music. It's the way people relate to it that makes them like the music that they do. Our tastes in this kind of music is obviously very different, therefore our tastes in the [i]actual music[/i] is conflicting.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']What do you think I mean by structure? We could just be on totally different pages here...[/quote]I just don't see the structure that you do.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']Okay, but just because it's related (and BARELY) still doesn't make it metal. Just like Black Sabbath doesn't play blues, but it's deeply influenced by it.[/quote]I never said it [i]was[/i] metal. I said it's [i]influenced[/i] by metal, [i]related[/i] to metal, [i]heavy[/i], etc. I didn't say it was metal.

[QUOTE]"Nu-Metal" is a sub-genre of metal[/QUOTE]
Then why'd you say that...?

[QUOTE]For example, there is no Alternate-Rock in Spineshank. None at all.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I think Spineshank is more of a hard rock band more than anything, and if it's numetal (I've only heard 3 songs, so I cant say much) then it's really really rooted in alt-rock and such.

Honestly, I class NuMetal as a sub-genre of Metal. As much as I can't stand sub-genres; well, actually, the [i]amount[/i] of sub-genres, I do. I see NuMetal as being related to Metal alot more closer than what you are trying to tell me.

You know very well that I hate "sub-genres" and how many there are, so in saying ""Nu-Metal" is a sub-genre of metal", it really doesn't turn over for me, so it obviously slipped through my mind without me even noticing I was typing it. I'd say it was more something I said to get on your nerves. ;)

:laugh: That would make sense!

By the way Fall, since you like your music a little rougher with less melody, check out some of these bands! Just humor me! By the way, I'm going to use subgenres, but only for their true, intended puropse: giving you and idea of what they might sound like!

[B]Nile[/B] (Technical Death Metal)
[B]Ektomorf[/B] (South-American Groove Metal (think Sepultura or Soulfly))
[B]Kataklysm[/B] (Death Metal - probably the most melodic on this list, but badass)
[B]Naglfar[/B] (Black Metal)
[B]Gizmachi[/B] (Nu-Metal - you prolly already listen to them, but if you don't you'd prolly LOVE them!)
[B]Bloodbath[/B] (Death Metal (only listen to the new album "Nightmares Made Flesh")
[B]Throwdown [/B] (Metalcore (many people say they're a hardcore band, but there's too many metal elements in their music to be simply hardcore)

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
[B]Kataklysm[/B] (Death Metal - probably the most melodic on this list, but badass)
[B]Bloodbath[/B] (Death Metal (only listen to the new album "Nightmares Made Flesh")[/QUOTE]

No offesnse to you or anything Bodom, I'm not saying you have bad listening taste but these in my opinion are the only two bands that really should have been recommended in the first place and the only Kataklysm album that is decent "Shadows and Dust".

As far as Bloodbath goes they are awesome check out all their material. More so their latest album as Jake of Bodom stated. Otherwise if you want to check out his list of recommendations check those first as they are really the best ones named there.

Actually, Amorphous, those are my favorite on that little list as well! :laugh: I was just going through some of my playlists suggesting stuff that was rougher and less melodic, not nescissarily stuff I choose to listen to frequently; for example, I don't like Gizmachi very much at all, or Ektomorf for that matter. These aren't my favorites by any means (besides Bloodbath, and sometimes Kataklysm), it was stuff I thought Fall might like.

Here's a little list of [I]my[/I] favorites in no particular order:

Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Finntroll
In Flames (mostly the first album through Clayman)
Imperanon
Nightrage
Nightwish
Opeth
At the Gates
Sinergy
Bloodbath (new album... the old one just didn't do it for me...)
Dark Tranquillity
Dimmu Borgir (I don't like the really old "cvlt" albums though)
Sonata Arctica
Tool (yes, I realize this seems out of place, but hey! They're amazing!)
As I Lay Dying (and dont you DARE say they're a hardcore band, because they're metal.)

[font=Verdana][size=2][quote name='Amorphous][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2']Yes it has to come from some genre; Nu-Metal comes from alternative rock, mostly the grunge scene out of Seattle in the early Nineties I mean it's pretty obvious. Nu-Metal seriously is not related to metal enough to say that it has any major metal influences in it. It's like Slipknot have influences from Black Sabbath... Umm someone show me a song and I'll beleive them. I mean seriously come on now, who are they trying to kid?[/quote]I can see you don't like NuMetal.[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][QUOTE=Jake of Bodom][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][b]Nile[/b] (Technical Death Metal)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Ektomorf[/b] (South-American Groove Metal (think Sepultura or Soulfly))[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Kataklysm[/b] (Death Metal - probably the most melodic on this list, but badass)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Naglfar[/b] (Black Metal)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Gizmachi[/b] (Nu-Metal - you prolly already listen to them, but if you don't you'd prolly LOVE them!)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Bloodbath[/b] (Death Metal (only listen to the new album "Nightmares Made Flesh")[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Throwdown [/b](Metalcore (many people say they're a hardcore band, but there's too many metal elements in their music to be simply hardcore)[/QUOTE]Out of that list, I've heard of Ektomorf, Gizmachi, and Throwdown. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]I love Ektomorf, I reckon they're awesome.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Gizmachi, they're alright, though you're wrong about me lovin' 'em. I don't tend to relate to their music too well.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Throwdown, I've got a fair-bit of their music, and all of it has that "low-pitched yelling" or whatever all through it; the stuff that I usually hear in all the [i]Death Metal[/i] I listen to. I don't really like that too much, but on the other hand, music with a combination of that "low-pitched yelling" and the melodic vocals or choruses, that shіt is awesome. A perfect example of this... [b][i]The Decieved[/i][/b] by [b]Trivium[/b], [b][i]Confined[/i][/b] by [b]As I Lay Dying[/b], and [b][i]Prey[/i] [/b]by[b] The Agony Scene[/b].[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]I'll check out Bloodbath, I've heard nothing but good words about them.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]As for Naglfar, Kataklysum, and Nile, I'll be sure to check them out too. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Thanks for the list. :smoke:[/size][/font]

I'd say that first and foremost, my favorite type of music is Rock & Roll, without a doubt. I never listened to a whole lot of music when I was younger, and was extremely lost when it came to bands, to the point where.. I think I entered high school with [i]one[/i] CD, which was Smash Mouth. XD How embarrassing..

During the past four years, though, I've made friends with people who listen to a bunch of music and were able to recommended things that I was slowly able to decide I liked or didn't. In the end, or at least at this point, the majority of my enjoyment comes from Rock in some form, particular Alternative Rock or Progressive Rock. I like stuff these days like 311, Incubus, and Sublime, but I also like the old classic stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and King Crimson. I have also been known to enjoy Electronic and slightly hip-hoppish music as well, though, such as Gorillaz and Bomfunk MC's. As for Metal and variations thereof, I find that since I don't really listen to it much, the distinction between that and Rock are somewhat blurred, though I like Primus and I've heard that called Alternative Metal, so whatever. Oh yeah, Reggae and Jazz are cool too.

No problem, Fall! However, all the bands listed there do tend to have the Death vocals you don't like so much... oh well, maybe hearing them in their native environment will give you a different perspective! I wouldn't call Throwdown "death vocals", that's what's called "brocore" or "toughguy" vocals. Death vocals are way better!

Yeah, check out Bloodbath first. Take a listen to the album Nightmares Made Flesh. Absolutely SUPREME! Prolly my favorite death metal album of the year. Amazing stuff.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']No problem, Fall! However, all the bands listed there do tend to have the Death vocals you don't like so much... oh well, maybe hearing them in their native environment will give you a different perspective! I wouldn't call Throwdown "death vocals", that's what's called "brocore" or "toughguy" vocals. Death vocals are way better![/quote]Yeah, I just noticed the difference in Throwdown compared to what I was talking about... their vocals are more strained out, or more clearer... hmm. If you get what I mean. I was listening to some Trivium and then wacked on some Throwdown and realised their vocals are a bit different to what I meant. Still, if they had the stuff like As I Lay Dying or Trivium, I'd probably listen to them alot more than what I do now.

Yeah. I'm alright with Brocore vocals, but most of my friends aren't. As I Lay Dying has some pretty awesome death vocals! Contrary to popular belief, they aren't a hardcore band. Even the band memebers consider themselves a Death Metal band. But that's besides the point. Just check out Bloodbath and tell us whatcha think!

[quote name='Fall] [font=Verdana][size=2]I can see you don't like NuMetal.[/size'][/font][/quote]
No, I hate NuMetal but it doesn't mean I wasn't open to listening to the music anyways.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
Dimmu Borgir (I don't like the really old "cvlt" albums though)

As I Lay Dying (and dont you DARE say they're a hardcore band, because they're metal.)[/QUOTE]
Dimmu Borgir's old "kvlt" albums are actually the only ones that are really worth listening in my opinion, true symphonic black metal at it's best.

As I Lay Dying IS NOT metal.

Anyways not to cause controversy or anything but seriously As I Lay Dying is not metal.

I'm talking about the ones that didn't have any symphonic element at all. There were like two before they started using keyboards. I like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, and Death Cult Armageddon. They have one album called Godless Savage Garden, but I've never heard it.

[QUOTE]As I Lay Dying IS NOT metal. [/QUOTE]

Well, maybe you haven't taken the time to listen to them then. All the metal elements are there.