OtakuBoards

what's your favorite type of music?

MidoriWaterfall

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]I'm talking about the ones that didn't have any symphonic element at all. There were like two before they started using keyboards. I like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, and Death Cult Armageddon. They have one album called Godless Savage Garden, but I've never heard it.

Well, maybe you haven't taken the time to listen to them then. All the metal elements are there.[/QUOTE]

First of all I'm talking about the albums For All Tid and Stormblast and yes they have symphonic elements to them. They are both neo-classical black metal albums though. Everything afterwards is pretty much horrible in my opinion.

Yes I have taken the time to listen to As I Lay Dying I still say they are not metal.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]
Semantics.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Aw, you beat me to it...

All right, I think everyone here (except those currently engaged in the argument) agree that the metal vs non-metal argument can die now. Who, honestly, gives a flying rats behind about what the music is called as long as you like it? There are far too many genres and subgenres and macrogenres floating around these days. Can't we go back to the simple days, when things were just Rock, and Classical, and Country, and Rap, etc.? Wouldn't that make everything so much easier on everyone?

However, if you insist on being bitchy about semantics...take it somewhere else. It's annoying for those of us who [I]aren't[/I] completely anal. Thank you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]
Semantics.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I seriously wish that was the truth otherwise I REALLY wouldn't give a damn at all.

As for Ilium here is your answer since it's really not something best described anyway else as this. This is the most widespread definition you can get without implying sub-genres to the mix. You have to remember though that "Metal" can be and is synonymous with "Heavy Metal" thus it makes no difference which you call metal music by though. "Heavy Metal" itself is also a genre all on it's own.

[quote name='Wikipedia'] Heavy metal is a form of music characterized by aggressive, driving rhythms and highly amplified distorted guitars, generally with grandiose lyrics and virtuosic instrumentation. Heavy metal is a development of blues, blues rock, rock and prog rock. Its origins lie in the hard rock bands who between 1967 and 1974 took blues and rock and created a hybrid with a heavy, guitar-and-drums-centered sound. Heavy metal had its peak popularity in the 1980s, during which many of the now existing subgenres first evolved. Although not as commercially successful as it was then, heavy metal still has a large world-wide following.[/quote]Also it would be much easier on everyone if it was all just called music. I wouldn?t have a problem with that either. This is just my elitist self-consciousness taking a stroll in the park after about a year of not caring what people think is metal or not. So I?m done arguing honestly. I never did get my original point across anyhow. Oh right my original point was that I didn't care really one way or another I just felt like having a discussion on music I suppose, doesn't happen often you know.

[QUOTE=Unborn Lord Xion][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Aw, you beat me to it...

All right, I think everyone here (except those currently engaged in the argument) agree that the metal vs non-metal argument can die now. Who, honestly, gives a flying rats behind about what the music is called as long as you like it? There are far too many genres and subgenres and macrogenres floating around these days. Can't we go back to the simple days, when things were just Rock, and Classical, and Country, and Rap, etc.? Wouldn't that make everything so much easier on everyone?

However, if you insist on being bitchy about semantics...take it somewhere else. It's annoying for those of us who [I]aren't[/I] completely anal. Thank you.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

How about this? If it annoys you:

Don't read the argument.

And we're not bitching about subgenres. We're talking about Metal in general. Metal is a type of music, just like Rock and Country and Rap and Blues and what have you. Sorry if you don't like it (and is very different from rock - semantics all you want, the music itself is different). You can't go 50 saying 50 Cent is Classical music. [I]That's[/I] the principle we were debating. If it bothers you, then don't read it.

[QUOTE=Unborn Lord Xion][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Aw, you beat me to it...

However, if you insist on being bitchy about semantics...take it somewhere else. It's annoying for those of us who [I]aren't[/I] completely anal. Thank you.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=times new roman][size=2]Agreed. Somewhat, anyways, do I agree. I was not part of this conversation (by the way might I say, is absolutely absurd..), but I can honestly say, the argument is pointless. But as for the going back to the "simple days" where we still had genres, I don't think that'd be too much different from now. Because there's still different types of music being categorized into genres...so, yeah.[/size][/font]

Not to add to this rediculous argument, but it seems that not even As I Lay Dying themselves know what genre they belong in.

Last year they told AMP that if given the choice between being more metal-influenced or hardcore-influenced, they said that they were more hardcore.

This year the vocalist told Fuse that they were a Death Metal band.

There's your argument. In the meantime, please refer to them as either Music, or "Metal/Hardcore".

Please and thank you. ^_^

• 4 months later...
I listen to mostly Jrock, stuff like Dir en Grey, Penicillin, Malice Mizer, L'Arc~en~Ciel, Hide, and The Brilliant Green (definitely not Gackt, how I hate him...). I also like alternative rock like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, etc. The reason I listen to Jrock is mostly because it is alot different from most of the generic metal/punk/rock in America. Also the lyrics for most of the band sare very smart and mysterious, Malice Mizer and Dir en Grey especially.

[font=georgia][size=1]My tastes change usually. It depends on the enviornment; if it's a sunny day and the light's shining through my window, I'll listen something upbeat, that has a light feel, and/or is all around fun. For example, Shonen Knife or something.

The same goes through most weather changes. If it's darker outside, or if it's raining, I'll be listening to Zombie by The Cranberries (old, I know, but I still like it), or something along a darker tone. I'm not usually sad though, but if I'm sad, catch me singing Mad World.

But all around, I listen to all different kinds of stuff. I like J-Pop, some R&B, a little bit of Rap here and there, some rock there, classical, etc. etc...But trance, techno, etc. is like my main genre even if I don't know of many artists and all, haha.

Don't catch me listening to religious stuff though. I'm not a big fan of country either.[/size][/font]

[COLOR=Red]I listen to Rock, not the new, but the OLD! The beginings of rock and roll-
Aerosmith, Kiss, Led Zeplin, Metallica, AC/DC yeah, all the bands who have members old enough to efficiently be grandparents almost.

And then theres the new stuff-
SoaD, my chemical romance, green day(aiming towards american idiot), coheed and cambria, new foung glory, motion city soundtrack, Linkin Park, dunno where the red hot chili peppers fall in so i put them here,

Techno- blame this on Dance Dance Revolution, not alot, and no specifics really.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]I've seen the bands I like classified into a trillion different subgenres. People have called Nightwish symphonic metal and gothic metal, people have called Rasputina gothic rock, darkwave rock, steampunk, etc. So, going with all those different souces...my list:

Symphonic metal, classic goth rock, neo goth, neo classical metal, industrial, steampunk, punk, alternative rock, emo, progressive rock, darkwave, ambient, and ANYTHING with cellos. Seriously. Cellos are better than air (like in Rasputina, Apocalyptica, and Cursive).[/FONT]

Guest boyhoodbravery
i have lots of favorite bands
1.My Chemical Romance
2.Patent Pending
3.Taking Back Sunday
4.Avenged Sevenfold
5.In The Eye Of The Needle
:animesmil

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue]i usually listen to:
punk (gets annoying after a while though)like:
My Chemical Romance (i just hate the fact that they´re being called MCR), Fall Out Boy (it´s okay), Good Charlotte (in my opinion, i think their new songs suck), and Green Day (kick ***)

spanish electro-pop, like:
Miranda!(luv-wuv,XOXO), Belanova (it´s a girly electro-pop band..), Moenia (a little bit better than Miranda!...just a little)

spanish,like:
RBD (another girly, born from a novela,or soap operah, band), Juanes (girly,pop-rock), Shakira (a little...she´s getting annoying...like her old songs..), Reik (girly pop), and Natalia y La Forquatina (sweeet)

Indie,like (least i think they´re indie!):
Interpol, Gorillaz (mix with techno and rock), Coldplay (Clocks rocks!), and Oasis (more like british rock)

Techno/Trance, like:
SMILE.Dk, Sarina Paris, Hypnosis, alots more...

and these are some other stuff i like, just dont know (and dont really care) what it falls under:

Foo Fighters.
Slipknot.
Marilyn Manson.
The White Stripes.
Nine Inch Nails.
System of a Down (i don´t like that new song soo much though).
KoRn.
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Postal Service

I don´t like pop sooo much, but...:
Gwen Stefani (so-so...i dont like that banana song...creepy...just like What are you waiting for?)
and Kelly Clarkson...no more...

As for some classic rock...:
Motley Crue (I have 3 of their CD´s)
AC/DC
Guns n´ Roses
The Ramones (I wanna be sedated!!)
Metallica
Pink Floyd (Another brick in the wall!! teehee)
The Rolling Stones...(a little bit)
that´s basically what kinda music i like >.<
................[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Hmmmm...

I like [I]good[/I] rock.

[B]Beatles, Modest Mouse, '60s-'70s Pink Floyd, The White Stripes, The Who, High Rise [/B] (REAL J-rock), [B]Mars Volta, The Doors, Radiohead, The Kinks.[/B]

Blues.

[B]Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Son House, Tom Waits.[/B]

And instrumental.

[B]Liquid Tension Experiment, Volta Do Mar, The Cancer Conspiracy, Oxes.[/B]

Better than your music :p . [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I don't know if I have a favorite genre... I do love shoegazer dearly (bands like Curve, Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, etc.), but it's definitely not the only genre I'll listen to or seek out. I like tons of different genres, and I'll try out just about any band if someone suggests it to me. Basically, if it sounds good to me then I'll like it.

Here are my current ten favorite bands to at least give [i]some[/i] idea of what I like:
[list]
[*]Sonic Youth
[*]Pixies
[*]Curve
[*]The Beatles
[*]David Bowie
[*]Cocteau Twins
[*]Jucifer
[*]The Cure
[*]The Arcade Fire
[*]Beck
[/list]
...I hate to stop it there, though lol. I also greatly enjoy Ween, Denali, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Amps, Modest Mouse, The Mountain Goats, Okkervil River, Au Pairs, Toadies, Apocalypse Hoboken, Cobra Killer, Tsunami Bomb, Mastodon, Cibo Matto, Dinosaur Jr., Echo and the Bunnymen, Fiery Furnaces, The Go! Team, 50 Foot Wave, Beastie Boys, Blonde Redhead, and tons more. I could sit here listing all day, but I think I'd just bore all of you lol.

• 3 weeks later...
[list]
[*]Rock - Evanescence, Green Day, Nirvana, Linkin Park and Nickelback
[*]Pop - Gwen Stefani and James Blunt
[*]Dance & co. - DJ Tiesto and seperate songs
[*]Anime songs and soundtracks
[*]Movie soundtracks - Lord of the Rings, Alexander, The Chronicles of Narnia: LWW, American Beauty and Titanic.
[/list]