OtakuBoards

Censorship

Kamuro

[SIZE=1]Censorship has become increasingly strict over the past years and if you ask me it's gone a bit to far. I understand it's been taken this far with good intentions but the time has come to just stop it already.

I recently saw a video on MTV, the song is by Hawthorne Heights and it's called "Ohio is for Lovers." I'm sure many of you have heard this song before and are familiar with it's lyrics. Well the line in question is this "So cut my wrists and black my eyes. So I can fall asleep tonight, or die." Now as morbid as this may sound to most, I've seen far worse on TV then the line in this song. And you guessed it, the word "cut" is absent when played and it pretty much ruins the song's chorus.

Point is, you can't say the word cut on TV but you can watch it happen in a war show, or horror movie. We can watch shows like "Law and Order" and hear about women getting beaten and raped for the happiness of sadistic men, you can't turn on the news without hearing mention of Michael Jackson molesting someone or a detailed description of someone being at the wrong place at the wrong time and dying horribly, you can even turn on late night TV shows and watch young women get undressed for a half an hour yet the word cut cannot be said in a 3 minute song?

It just doesn't make sense to me, do you guys think its gone to far? I mean the examples I've given are just a few of the outrageous things put on TV yet a curse word here or there in a song or movie is COMPLETELY FORBIDDEN. It just doesn't make sense.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#CC3366"][b]I guess the reason they censor music so much, is because it reaches out to so many people. I mean Law and Order is just a show, its suppose to have those things that are horrific, its fake and I'm sure they are only allowed to show so much. Majority of TV is very restricted if you look closely, and yeah it can suck, but people are always going to complain about "Their kids accidently viewing the footage or what not". I can see why they bleeped out cut, they probably think that anyone who buys it is going to cut their wrists thinking its cool.

I see why they are doing it. Do I think its wrong? Well..that anwser is really hard to anwser. I think some things are just silly to edit out, but it's not really a big deal. It's a music video. If you want the un-edited version, go out and buy it. This way no one gets blamed or sued, really thats all this is about. People do not want to get into trouble for having "adult" language on TV and get badmouthed for it. You never know the simpliest word could insult someone. It's all a matter of getting punished. It's lame, but is it really that hard to go out and just buy the CD? This is just how the world works. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE=1]I know it's how the world works, but is it really right? Everything you said is valid, but as I said before, there are much worse things on TV then a music video played 2-3 times a day. Of course you could go get the cd, thats not really the question here. We pride ourselves on the freedom we're given, it's all over our money, the pledge of allegiance, yet the very freedoms we promote are becoming more and more restricted and compromised each and every day. It's easy to say "thats just the way it is," but no one would grow if everyone thought that way. We should question things and think to ourselves whether whats going on is right or not. We can't simply follow rules and regulations blindly without first questioning the foundation on which they were created.

I'm looking at the bigger picture here, a simple music video could lead to something much more important. And as we've all seen, things become increasingly compromised with each passing year, well when does it stop? It doesn't seem there's a safe and full-proof solution to this problem so who's to say when enough is enough? Shouldn't it be us rather then a disgruntled mother with nothing more to do then question the content of a 3 minute song her son glanced at on MTV? Is it fair for everyone to be penalized for the lack of parental skill here? Isn't a parent responsible for watching what their kids watch and making sure that it doesn't contain adult content? We've made several strides and now even entire channels can be blocked by a parent who believes it shouldn't be veiwed by their children. With all these alternatives and different ways about doing things is it really neccessary to censor such trivial things? And as I said earlier, much worse things have been veiwed on TV, shouldn't we be worrying about those things?

By the way, if you've ever seen Law and Order, you'd know what I'm talking about lol. You're right, they show barely any gore or adult material, however, they speak about it increasingly and with much detail. In the song I mentioned, they sang about the cutting, but did they show it in their video? No, not at all. Well on Law and Order they don't show the girl being raped or the child being molested, they just talk about it for an hour or so.[/SIZE]

The problem is that Law and Order is a show that is always advertised to contain a more adult type of content. Meanwhile on MTV, a song about having sex with someone's mom or killing yourself can be adjacent to a song about wanting to have a baby or loving someone genuinely. It's also played at any time of the day or night, unlike something like Law and Order that is primetime and not aimed at a general group. It's not really so clear cut, I think.

I've never been a supporter of censorship, but I don't know that taking out the word "cut" is really that detrimental to the overall message of that song or anything it is trying to accomplish. Edits always sound weird and I can see how it might ruin the flow, but that's about it. Removing that basic word isn't stopping the band from making an important statement or doing something important or whatever else (regardless of what this specific group is trying to accomplish, I'm just talking generally).

Sometimes I think the idea is taken a bit too far. There's a difference between not letting someone say cut or **** a few times in a song compared to cutting out entire sections that speak of some political or social action/comment the network doesn't happen to agree with (like with NIN on the MTV Movie Awards). I'm not going to run out and buy edited CDs or anything (there's no way in hell), but networks are just held to different guidelines that are based on viewership. MTV just happens to largely attract a group of people who are perhaps more impressionable.

I suppose all you can do is buy your CDs unedited and enjoy the music how it was meant to be. As long as the option exists, I personally just deal with it. If that option was taken away (as in all CDs would be required to be edited, like Tipper Gore wanted way back when they established the explicit lyrics thing on new music), then I'd be taking a FAR different stance on this.

[SIZE=1]I agree with most of your points Generic. Concerning the music I just hate to hear any part of it simply taken out to accomodate some people who have never even heard it. Music is something I'm very passionate about, and although I do believe some things need to be censored, I believe it's taken to far and some songs are completely butchered before actually getting play on TV. I don't really see the point in playing a song thats been completely changed to fit an "appropriate" standard.

You are completely right concerning NIN and political music. Although I don't listen to it much, I think it's outrageous to condemn a song just because it contains a conflicting opinion. I mean, aren't we supposed to be able to voice the way we feel? We write a set of rules and instead of obiding by them we add little details and clauses forming them to our own liking and changing the original meaning completely. I'm actually surprised that they play B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down on TV, it's just as political as any other song you'll see. "Why don't the presidents fight the war? Why do they always send the poor?" seems pretty outlandish to me concerning political music, yet no condemnation, not yet anyway.

Concerning Law and Order, which is just an example we're using for anyone whos been reading this thread lol, I disagree. I've actually seen a Law and Order marathon on TNT, twice. Once during Memorial Day or some other fabricated occasion and once on another day I can't really remember lol. This is primetime for children, and really, any time is primetime for children when you think about it. But even when shows such as this are advertised and warnings are placed before the show's air, they are still censored! Even after warning the veiwer of the content of the show and displaying a message of age appropriateness trivial events and words are still censored! I mean c'mon.[/SIZE]

I got a little mad when they edited out "Good eye sniper, I'll shoot, and you run," out of Coheed and Cambria's "A Favor Hoouse Atlantic." It is justified though, from what I heard, it's inspired from that sniper in Detroit. It is just weird when you see a word that isn't an obvious curse being edited out of a song. They didn't even bother with this one though, they just "pixelated" his voice.

[color=blue][size=1]Do I think censorship has gotten out of hand? No, not yet. But it's still incredibly irritating.

The thing with words being editted out of songs is ridiculous. Who told them to do that in the first place? The outraged mother's who complain about their children hearing cursing in their music should shut up and just change the channel, skip the track, turn off the radio, or [i]something[/i] rather than wasting everyone's time by whining about a song that said 'slut' too loudly. But really, they shouldn't have to do even that. All those words are just that. [i]Words[/i]. The ones singing the curse words are in almost every single case NOT talking to or about you or your children. And anyone who takes the things said in a song personally (I'm talking about words that might offend them, not parts of the song that are meaningful to them, just so you know) are, in my opinion, stupid.

And the stuff about Law and Order is annoying as well. Like Kamuro pointed out, the showing of a warning before hand should be all the warning the viewers need. If a mother and her seven year old son are sitting on the couch watching TNT (or whatever channel it normally plays on) and the mother sees that warning, she can change the channel right then and there and turn on something more 'child-appropriate'. Then those who are more mature and/or less impressionable may watch the show without key parts being bleeped out for the sake of making sure the station doesn't get sued by a mother whining and looking for money.

Keep in mind, though, that I don't watch Law and Order that much (I tune in and out every once in a while, but never really watch an entire episode), so I used mainly the others' descriptions and discussion about the show to write the above paragraph. ^_^;; Little disclaimer for you. xP[/size][/color]

Many times when words are edited out it messes with the song. Two cases imediately come to mind:

1. In Avril Lavigne's "My Happy Ending", they edited "all the s** that you do" to "all the stuff that you do". The lines meaning was comepletely ruined there.

2. In MCR's "I'm Not Okay 'I Promise' ", "I'm not O f***ing kay" was changed to "I'm really not okay". The line wasn't destroyed, but when I heard the actual track online, It made a hell of a lot more sense.

In short, having words that are taboo that we don't want young children to say is rediculous. Poop, Crap, and ******* have the same meaning, and are used in the exact same way. Why two of them are fine and the other would get most young kids grounded is beyond me.

[COLOR=Green]Very interesting subject we are discussing. I like it!
Yes, censorship has gotten out of hand, but lets remember, the majority age group sitting, being lazy around the TV are kids from 7-13. This is the same reason they never show the uncut version of such anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu Yu Hakusho, Shaman King, ect.

While I understand we have a freedom of speech, we can't claim it, the Supreme Court is slowly taking our civil rights away. We also have a "privelage" of censorship.

It really pisses me off to hear that some band's song was censored, or atleast in this case: Green Day's "American Idiot" was on the radio, censored, but they failed to censor out "Well maybe I'm the [B][U]F**got[/U][/B] America" So kids can't hear "cut" in the case of the music video, but yet they can hear F**got, am I the only one confused? Artists, like Avril lavigne, Green Day, whatever, shouldn't have their stuff censored, it takes away from the origional song. It was their choice to add cusses to their song, they stand by it, if they want to make a song for kids, they can. As a total music lover, I think songs should be left as they are. The only exception being the radio.

I understand why we need censors, especially for radio stations, most people listen to the radio, and I understand for the TV, as the majority of viewers are kids, but it is rediculous, especially for teenagers (like me). If they are going to censor stuff, it has to be everything or nothing.

I think mothers should just change the channel (in the case of the TV) but they would rather put up a fuss, and "make the world a better place for your children" that thinking is BS, its life, like people are saying, the news shows much worse stuff than music or the TV does. Censorship [U]was[/U] a good idea, but now its messed up, kinda like Social Security...Does anybody get what I'm saying?
They try to make everybody happy, but they can't, as there is a large variety of people and their opioions.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Morpheus]1. In Avril Lavigne's "My Happy Ending", they edited "all the s** that you do" to "all the stuff that you do". The lines meaning was comepletely ruined there.

2. In MCR's "I'm Not Okay 'I Promise' ", "I'm not O f***ing kay" was changed to "I'm really not okay". The line wasn't destroyed, but when I heard the actual track online, It made a hell of a lot more sense.[/QUOTE]

See, when I see both of those, I honestly don't see any difference in the meaning aside from the edited being less aggressive. You're making it sound like you didn't even understand what was being accomplished when the word stuff was used... which just seems bizarre lol.

[SIZE=1]This is what I'm talking about, annoyed people speak out and get these things censored yet no one ever says anything. Just "well, thats the way it is." But it really doesn't have to be that way. I'm really tired of hearing people even now continuously complaining about the things they see on TV or hear on the radio. Especially concerning music. I'm shocked that people still feel the need to judge and change music that they really have no connection to whatsoever.

The biggest thing that urks me about this subject is that every person you'll see complaining, or even trying to change these things, is a hypocrit. Parents complain about music and adult themes on TV, then go to their rooms to make sure they catch the next episode of Sex and the City.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Kamuro][SIZE=1]I know it's how the world works, but is it really right? Everything you said is valid, but as I said before, there are much worse things on TV then a music video played 2-3 times a day. Of course you could go get the cd, thats not really the question here. We pride ourselves on the freedom we're given, it's all over our money, the pledge of allegiance, yet the very freedoms we promote are becoming more and more restricted and compromised each and every day. It's easy to say "thats just the way it is," but no one would grow if everyone thought that way. We should question things and think to ourselves whether whats going on is right or not. We can't simply follow rules and regulations blindly without first questioning the foundation on which they were created.

I'm looking at the bigger picture here, a simple music video could lead to something much more important. And as we've all seen, things become increasingly compromised with each passing year, well when does it stop? It doesn't seem there's a safe and full-proof solution to this problem so who's to say when enough is enough? Shouldn't it be us rather then a disgruntled mother with nothing more to do then question the content of a 3 minute song her son glanced at on MTV? Is it fair for everyone to be penalized for the lack of parental skill here? Isn't a parent responsible for watching what their kids watch and making sure that it doesn't contain adult content? We've made several strides and now even entire channels can be blocked by a parent who believes it shouldn't be veiwed by their children. With all these alternatives and different ways about doing things is it really neccessary to censor such trivial things? And as I said earlier, much worse things have been veiwed on TV, shouldn't we be worrying about those things?

By the way, if you've ever seen Law and Order, you'd know what I'm talking about lol. You're right, they show barely any gore or adult material, however, they speak about it increasingly and with much detail. In the song I mentioned, they sang about the cutting, but did they show it in their video? No, not at all. Well on Law and Order they don't show the girl being raped or the child being molested, they just talk about it for an hour or so.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#CC0066"][b]Oh no don't get me wrong. I agree with you when you say your against censorship, cause even though my post sounds like im all for it I'm not all I was saying is that many people are already stepping up against censorship and it hasn't gotten to the point where everything is completely censored. If that were to happen, I think you'd be hearing more complaining from me. I agree with labels being put on CDS, as far as music videos go, I guess the words that arn't that bad are being cut out which I find ridiculous. It really only gets annoying to deal with when you every other word is "Bleep". This happens alot in TV.

[quote name='Kitty][color=blue][size=1]And the stuff about Law and Order is annoying as well. Like Kamuro pointed out, the showing of a warning before hand should be all the warning the viewers need. If a mother and her seven year old son are sitting on the couch watching TNT (or whatever channel it normally plays on) and the mother sees that warning, she can change the channel right then and there and turn on something more 'child-appropriate'. Then those who are more mature and/or less impressionable may watch the show without key parts being bleeped out for the sake of making sure the station doesn't get sued by a mother whining and looking for money. [/size'][/color][/quote]

I also agree with this. If theres a warning label, it's meant to be read. It should allow violence. And yet they still don't even show most of it. It's funny whats allowed to be on TV nowadays, it seems like whats the most "Gore" show, doesn't really show all that much. They are too afraid of getting introuble with the network. The show can't even live up to it's full potential because of these limited laws. I can see both sides to the story however, why they are doing this. Even if it's a little out there.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

The most hypocritical use of censorship has to be Wal-Mart. They refuse to stock any CD's with a parental advisory label. That would be fine if the censorship went across the board. But they still stock wonderful family fun such as American Wedding and more kinds of guns than anyone knows what to do with. What kind of message are they sending there? It's okay to shoot at stuff, but if you say ****, oh man. Wal-Mart's coming after your a**.

[quote name='Morpheus']The most hypocritical use of censorship has to be Wal-Mart. They refuse to stock any CD's with a parental advisory label. That would be fine if the censorship went across the board. But they still stock wonderful family fun such as American Wedding and more kinds of guns than anyone knows what to do with. What kind of message are they sending there? It's okay to shoot at stuff, but if you say ****, oh man. Wal-Mart's coming after your a**.[/quote]

Then again, who buys cd's at Wal-Mart? I'm lucky enough to have a small music store nearby that actually supports local music. The odd thing is, I like the Black Eyed Peas radio edits better than the real song. It just seems to exaggerated to here Will I Am shout a curse instead of a word that had a different meaning.

Anyways, they should do something like what they did in Jackass, show a warning after every commerical break, it doesn't subtract from what they're showing, and it's enough to cover their *****.

I'm with Tony on htis one, as long as the music is available uncensored then I'm ok with it.

I don't need to hear swearing on MTV, and the deletion of a couple of words isn't going to drastically affect the message anyway.

They censor American Idiot's f**got in New Zealand.

[quote name='Evil Jedi']They censor American Idiot's f**got in New Zealand.[/quote]
[COLOR=Green]oh, well, good for New Zealand! (not being sarcastic), well, here in Dallas, our radio station I listen to, FM 102.1[the Edge], unfortunatlly doesn't, I normally dont support censorship, but when my lil brother is learning f**got, and hes only 10, i wonder how well the censorship on the radio is, but that's the only place censorship should be excersized, other places someone can just turn off the TV or whatever.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Wal-Mart is definitely out of line concerning this issue. Like Generic and some others stated earlier, they find solace in the music and although it's censored on TV at least they can go get the CD's and such, well, not at Wal-Mart. This is completely unrealistic. I mean, having the "Parental Advisory" sticker on the CD is a blatant warning for children as well as parents yet they still refuse to sell them. And as Morpheus stated, they stock many other things completely contradictory to their lack of "Parental Advisory" music.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3'] Meanwhile on MTV, a song about having sex with someone's mom or killing yourself can be adjacent to a song about wanting to have a baby or loving someone genuinely. It's also played at any time of the day or night, .[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Mtv plays music! :eek: I never knew that!

As for censorship well, America is one of the few countries that has it to such an extent. We're so worried about our children becomming gay that we can't show them in cartoons (except for InuYasha and some adult ones) but South Park can kill off Kenny every week, and there's pleanty of guns and violence to go around in both cartoons and regular tv. But oh no, you can't have children seeing nudity (think Tenchi Muyo back in the late 90's and early 2000-2001) or same sex couples. :angry2:

I'm not sure how to put this out but, I think the big problem isn't the hike in censorship in the US it's the lack of parents who want to spend time with their kids and plop them down infront of a tv. They're the ones getting angry about everything because they need someone to blame besides themselves.[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']I'm not sure how to put this out but, I think the big problem isn't the hike in censorship in the US it's the lack of parents who want to spend time with their kids and plop them down infront of a tv. They're the ones getting angry about everything because they need someone to blame besides themselves.[/color][/quote]
[COLOR=Green]Yea, I'd have to agree with you there, you took the words right out of my mouth! It MIGHT, MIGHT (using the trem loosely) have something to do with working parents, my mom works 2 part-time jobs, (dad doesnt live here), and she really doesn't have time to go to the park with my little brothers, i'm not really justifying her actions, so, of course, my brothers are watching our satelite TV instead of going outside. This might also be the same reason so many people in the US are obese... hmm...[/COLOR]

If I may be a little opinionated here...

CENSORSHIP IS UTTERLY, INCREDIBLY, DISGUSTINGLY WRONG.

I'll start with a little example of rediculous cencorship.

In the song "Sugar" by System of a Down, the words mush, bullet, and (I'm dead serious here), Russian are edited out. Why the hell is the word "Russian" cut out of the song? And mushroom? They're not referring to the drug here. The lyrics are "the kombuja mushroom people sitting around all day". This is a reference to the state of the American public in the era of the atomic bomb (mushroom clouds). The word bullet in context referrs to life (... with a bullet called life). Okay, these words are cut out of the song without any regard to the context in which they are used. The censored version of the song butchers the message that the artist was trying to convey.

The point is, [I]somone[/I] is going to be offended by nearly everything. It's not as if censorship is saving anyone. Everyone hears swear words every day of their lives. Anyone who's ever attended public (or private for that matter) school can attest to this. You hear it in the workplace, on the street, everywhere. Look, if something offends you, you have the ability to turn off the song or change the channel.

That's what I don't understand. Everyone gets all up in arms over "vulgar content" when all they have to do is not listen to that song. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE OFFENDED DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD GET IN THE WAY OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. No one is strapping them down and saying "you must listen to the vulgarity! Ah ha ha ha ha! You are getting all vulgar-like!" CHANGE THE ******* CHANNEL. CHANGE THE ******* RADIO STATION.

The awesome part is, as I submit this post, the whole mother-*******, piece of ****, *****-faced thing will be automatically censored. Ah, the irony.

Oh, here's another thing. I live in Utah. I have absolutely nothing against Mormons (some of my best friends belong to the LDS church), but I really don't like the way so many regulations within this state are based on their beliefs. Here's how this relates to censorship:

Ozzfest is coming to Utah this summer. For those of you who don't know what Ozzfest is, it's a huge music tour featuring a handful of classic heavy metal bands, as well as a slew of current ones. A group of Mormons is protesting it coming to Utah because it's "a horrible Satanic influence on today's youth". Okay, hold on a second. Last time I checked, there were 3 Christian bands on the lineup. But no, it's metal, and metal is scary. No. You know what's scary? There's a chance they might win and Ozzfest will be banned from Utah. ARGH! Just because they are offended doesn't mean they have to take away the experience from everyone else! That's exactly the problem with censorship:

CENSORSHIP IS A SELFISH CONCEPT DERIVED FROM POWER-HUNGRY PEOPLE.

Okay. I'm done.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
In the song "Sugar" by System of a Down, the words mush, bullet, and (I'm dead serious here), Russian are edited out. Why the hell is the word "Russian" cut out of the song? And mushroom? They're not referring to the drug here. The lyrics are "the kombuja mushroom people sitting around all day". This is a reference to the state of the American public in the era of the atomic bomb (mushroom clouds). The word bullet in context referrs to life (... with a bullet called life). Okay, these words are cut out of the song without any regard to the context in which they are used. The censored version of the song butchers the message that the artist was trying to convey.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Green]"They" censored tose words because the American public does not want to have the truth shoved in their face that (most of them, not all of them) are lazy, fat, inconsederate, selfish, loathing snobbs. Yes, i am American, born and raised, but I diss my own country because I've seen poverty in Africa, and I've seen what the American's AREN'T doing to help them. Yea, America is a fairly good place to live, it can't be perfect, but we sure can help fellow humans once and awhile. Money for the pointless war is being spent, instead, they could help a starving, dying family in Africa or South America. Why does America spend more money for death than life?

Anyways, i'm getting ahead of myself, yea, I agree that sensorship is not nessary, at least not for teens like ourselves, and for them to censor those words is just crazy, like in my post about "American Idiot" by Green Day, about the "confusing" censor.

But, if you have a little brother or sister, you can simpithize with me, when my 10 year old step bro is learning cuss words, something is wrong, in my opinoin, he's too young to hear that kind of crap. I also have a 6 year old brother, he already has a very "colorful" vocabulary, and I do the best I can to "protect" him from the stuff he is too young for, but i can't watch him every single second of the day, i have my own life. He hears a lot just from his friends (who are also his age) but I really think he is too young to know what a wh*** and a b**** are. Pardon the cliche, but "Think of the children!" lol[/COLOR]

For purely artistic reasons, I find censorship vile. You cannot wage a war against art. It's simply the epitome of uncool.

It would make more sense for broadcasters to consider their audience. Play potentially offensive material later on in the day. After all, there are very few eight year olds who would be interested in listening to MM or watching Sex & the City.

If it weren't for marketers trying to cram as much material down young children's throats as possible, there'd be a lot more integrity left in the world of entertainment. It's funny, actually, because, until WW2 or so, children were basically ignored as a consuming demographic.
I guess that's progress for you.

I reckon censorship isn't needed. What's it do? Blocking out the swearing, or the extreme views, from a song, what is it going to do? It's not going to stop its listeners from swearing. If its listeners want to attempt an extreme stunt or get suicidal thoughts, blocking the lyrics out of a song they listen to isn't going to change a thing. Getting suicidal thoughts and blaming it on a song is ********, I've heard [i]too[/i] many examples of that[i] too[/i] many times.

It could well be for respect. But I really don't think it's going to do anything. I do, for one, believe extremly racist lyrics should be blocked out. But, on the other end, the artist producing the song, should be able to say what he wants. -No offense meant. Otherwise, what the hell is the use of being a music artist in the first place?

[QUOTE]But, if you have a little brother or sister, you can simpithize with me, when my 10 year old step bro is learning cuss words, something is wrong, in my opinoin, he's too young to hear that kind of crap. I also have a 6 year old brother, he already has a very "colorful" vocabulary, and I do the best I can to "protect" him from the stuff he is too young for, but i can't watch him every single second of the day, i have my own life. He hears a lot just from his friends (who are also his age) but I really think he is too young to know what a wh*** and a b**** are. Pardon the cliche, but "Think of the children!" lol[/QUOTE]

While this is a noble view, you have to consider the fact that kids are going to hear this stuff no matter what. Censoring music and television won't keep them from being exposed to vulgar language and concepts. Your brothers are going to hear that stuff, whether it be from a song or from another kid at school. Censorship is, yet again, proven to be useless.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
Oh, here's another thing. I live in Utah. I have absolutely nothing against Mormons (some of my best friends belong to the LDS church), but I really don't like the way so many regulations within this state are based on their beliefs. Here's how this relates to censorship:

Ozzfest is coming to Utah this summer. For those of you who don't know what Ozzfest is, it's a huge music tour featuring a handful of classic heavy metal bands, as well as a slew of current ones. A group of Mormons is protesting it coming to Utah because it's "a horrible Satanic influence on today's youth". Okay, hold on a second. Last time I checked, there were 3 Christian bands on the lineup. But no, it's metal, and metal is scary. No. You know what's scary? There's a chance they might win and Ozzfest will be banned from Utah. ARGH! Just because they are offended doesn't mean they have to take away the experience from everyone else! That's exactly the problem with censorship:[/QUOTE]
Those crazy mormons! I can't for the life of me figure out why they think Ozzfest, of all things, is satanic!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/Shinjiotaku/header.jpg[/img]

Stop the religious groups cmplaining? But that's whay Metal is dressed up in such devil insignia in the first place! They want to rile the religious groups, rebel, and cause a stir.

IMO, Ozzy is askin for it when he takes his devil-illustrated Ozzfest straight into the mormon capital of the world, no?