OtakuBoards

Next Generation Consoles

Rachael

Heh I'm finally replying to this thread because my friend and I just fought over this.

Well as many have said, it's too early to tell what console looks good but I am worried about the PS3. I'm only saying this because so far from what I've read (and what you guys are saying) it sounds more computer-ish. Actually so does the 360 but much more on the PS3's end. I just want to play games. I honestly don't care about all the fancy crap, I'm not a techie like that. I use compy here for music/movies/net/all that good stuff. My PS2 does get plenty work as a DVD player too but that's when I'm not farming in Harvest Moon or something.

I use them for games. That's really all I want them to do. But I understand that these are moves to gain certain bases and niches etc. I understand the marketing reasons. Still...

It's odd but from early reports, I might swing Nintendo or 360's way. It depends on how they look after launch. If, after they are all out and into the market, I see tons of good games I want for PS3 and so many more on the horizon, then yes I'll look into that. If they are going towards 360 then I go towards 360.

I'm just a gamer who plays games. I follow the games I like and interest me and that is the system I buy. I'm happy with my PS2 right now but I don't yet know what the future holds.

Price is another thing but I don't like thinking about how much these things will cost...>_< It hurts my wallet.

But yes that's all I have to say for now...I hope this made sense, it's 4 am and I'm beat...

[quote name='Sage Kaley']It's odd but from early reports, I might swing Nintendo or 360's way. It depends on how they look after launch. If, after they are all out and into the market, I see tons of good games I want for PS3 and so many more on the horizon, then yes I'll look into that. If they are going towards 360 then I go towards 360. [/quote]

[color=darkred]This is more or less how I feel towards the next-gen consoles. I don't plan on buying any of them until the games that I'm interested in are released for them, which is fine by me because it leaves more room for me to gather the cash I need. I mean, MGS4 alone is enough to make me want a PS3, just so as long as there will be something to play afterwards when I'm through and done with it. It's kind of the same scenario with the DS. I don't have one now, though I'd like one, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the cash right now, but I'm not particularly bothered because I wouldn't really be occupied on it seeing as there aren't many games out right now. [/color]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]Now at[/SIZE][/COLOR][URL=http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/] Ebgames[/URL] [SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]they have the have the Xbox 360 Complete pack with Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, DOA 4, and Project Gotham Raccing 3, for $700 and the basic package with the same games for $600. All of this is supposed to come out on November 15.

I won't be getting this manly because it cost too much and I don't have the money. The other is because I'm not buying any of the first genererations of any othe the consoles because my first 2 PS2's had disk read errors and my X box had a crappy Thompson harddrive. When they come out and fix some of the problems I'll get one[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
The thing I look forward to on XBOX 360 is XBOX live. Crappy games become so much more when you can go and play with people any time you want. Just look at games like Halo II, & Conquer - Live and reloaded. Both of those games have very dull single player modes, but you can't seem to put them down when you get a huge frag fest going on XBL. Thats why I am going to buy a premium 360 when it comes out. Also It comes out being cheaper to get a $400 package, seeing as to how the HDD is $100 sold by itself. I think with the premium xbox you get wireless head set, wireless controller, remote controll, and the HDD. Seeing as to how the other systems won't come for at least a year I also plan on buying a revolution. ( PS3 just sounds too expensive)

The basic xbox just comes with one wired controller right?

[I][B]Urzu 07 It does come with one wired controller, and how you pointed out that the 400$ one will be cheaper in the end is actually very true, I have read into some of this stuff a little much. Oh and also the chance of winnning one throught mountain dew is pretty cool, but you still can loose. Oh so if anyone has those caps but don't use the codes could you send them to me?[/B][/I]

[quote name='50 cent][i][b]It does come with one wired controller[/b'][/i][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]The Core System does, the 360 main package comes with a wireless controller. Here's the breakdown on both sets. In my opinion, there's no reason to buy the Core System though because if you plan to upgrade, you do save money by just paying the $400 up front.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue][quote=Official Xbox 360 Guide*][/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=blue][b]Xbox 360 (Premium Package):[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Console[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Wireless Controller[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Component HDAV Cable[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Composite AV Cable[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Hard Drive[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Play original Xbox games (Backwards compatibility - required Hard Drive)[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Ethernet Cable[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Headset (Wireless, I believe)[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Xbox Live Silver[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Xbox Live Gold 30-day Trial[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Premium Chrome Details[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Multimedia Remote (Limited time, from what I hear at GameStop)[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue][b]Xbox 360 Core System:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Console[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Wired Controller[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Composite AV Cable[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Xbox Live Silver[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Xbox Live Gold 30-day Trial[/quote][/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=blue]All of the accessories mentioned in the Premium Package but not in the Xbox 360 Core System (with the exception of the chrome details) are optional accessories for the Xbox 360 Core System for an additional charge per item. Wired controllers will, obviously, work on the Premium Package as well.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue][i]*Note: This information is quoted (with some minor additions from me in parenthesis) from an official Xbox 360 Guide that GameStop gave me.[/i][/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
Let me make some predictions now that we've seen the big three consoles and what they are planning.

1) Console gamers are still going to be predominantly not playing online games. It was true for this generation of games, and I bet that they don't really make that much headway.

2) There isn't going to be a big crowd of traditionally "non-gamer" people buying games and consoles. I think having a PS2 or an Xbox that was a DVD player was a reason for people to buy consoles, and attracted more people. There is not really a similar thing in the new PS3, XBox360 lineup. I'm also guessing that the Revolution will be more of a fun new gaming experience for current gamers than it will be some break in point for people not interested in games currently.

3) Xbox isn't going to make significant headway in the Japanese market. I think they can be a strong system without it, but there is little reason for Japanese gamers to be excited about XBox over PS3.

4)PS3 isn't going to sell as well as PS2 did. The DVD player idea above will be a major factor, and I think also price. Whether or not this will be a trend for all systems I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=>x becuase the core is just extra ripp off[/QUOTE]

Yes, this goes without saying. It doesn't make much sense to buy a $299 console when the $100 hard-drive is required for backwards compatibility and basically Xbox Live. Especially when a 64mb memory card sells for $40. Sixty dollars for 20gb is just a much better buy. However, that's easy to say because you belong to a demographic that talks about games on the Internet. People like us are probably interested in taking advantage of most of the system's features. I can see casuals or unknowing parents buying the $299 package when the rush starts.

Having said that, I'm getting the Xbox 360 at launch only because I won it along with a copy of Madden 2006 for free through Pepsi. Otherwise, I wouldn't be getting one for quite some time. There's no Mario 64, "killer app" that really demands an immediate purchase.

Guest Warmaster
[quote name='Charles'] There's no Mario 64, "killer app" that really demands an immediate purchase.[/quote]
That's *IF* (and ONLY if) you are getting TES IV: Oblivion for PC instead of Xbox 360. Otherwise it's about as killer an app as I've ever seen ^^

Guest Warmaster
Well, you said a title that "demands an immediate purchase." If you are an educated gamer, I'd say Oblivion fits the bill. If you're some CS-crazy n00b-pwner or a FF fangirl, then sure, maybe it's not the game for you. But, to anyone who knows, Oblivion is about as close as we have come to a truly immersive gaming experience. It's a must-play if you ask me.

[quote name='Warmaster']Well, you said a title that "demands an immediate purchase." If you are an educated gamer, I'd say Oblivion fits the bill. If you're some CS-crazy n00b-pwner or a FF fangirl, then sure, maybe it's not the game for you. But, to anyone who knows, Oblivion is about as close as we have come to a truly immersive gaming experience. It's a must-play if you ask me.[/quote]A killer app is a game that damn near everyone excited and going "I must have this console." I, for one, am very, very excited about Oblivion, but like you said, I'm "informed"- the ones that make Madden and Halo sell so well are the ones that dictate "killer apps." As sad as it is, most people out there aren't interested in epic fantasy settings and complex skill charts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about Oblivion, but it just doesn't scream "Everyone will want this" to me (though by RPG standards it will certainly do well).

I realize it's not a launch title (or even set for release in 2005), but I think Gears of War is showing the qualities of a killer app. It seems like it would cater to the Halo crowd, at least, and that would be enough to sell plenty of copies.

[QUOTE=OtakuSennen]A killer app is a game that damn near everyone excited and going "I must have this console." I, for one, am very, very excited about Oblivion, but like you said, I'm "informed"- the ones that make Madden and Halo sell so well are the ones that dictate "killer apps." As sad as it is, most people out there aren't interested in epic fantasy settings and complex skill charts.

[b]Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about Oblivion, but it just doesn't scream "Everyone will want this" to me (though by RPG standards it will certainly do well).[/b]

I realize it's not a launch title (or even set for release in 2005), but I think Gears of War is showing the qualities of a killer app. It seems like it would cater to the Halo crowd, at least, and that would be enough to sell plenty of copies.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Finally, someone understands. A "killer app" doesn't appeal just to a certain crowd. [i]Everyone[/i] wanted to play Mario 64, even if they didn't like platformers. [i]Everyone[/i] wanted to play Halo, even if they didn't like first person shooters. It's the same idea with Final Fantasy VII. Like I said, Oblivion is great but I don't think it's a game that will sell Xbox 360's to the masses. People who don't enjoy incredibly long RPGs aren't going to be interested.

Having said that, Gears of War does indeed look like it has the potential to be a "killer app", but it doesn't release until sometime in 2006.

• 3 weeks later...