OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Sephiroth

I had already deleted that post (I don't know when James started typing a response, but it was probably before I deleted it). As I said in the "reason", it wasn't even worth getting into it. If anyone agreed with my thoughts on it, it would have been gone already. I don't agree with some of these ideas presented whatsoever, but whatever. All I know is that it wouldn't fly on these same grounds at other places I visit and I still think it's condoning it when it's an obvious [b]fact[/b] that people have done these things (I mean, it's directly mentioned in this very thread; no link doesn't make a difference).

In any case, I'm dropping it. I don't agree and I respect the administration's viewpoint on the subject. That's all I have to say and I don't really require more responses lol.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok new topic then. I read that Howl's Moving Castle, Corpse Bride, and Wallace & Gromitt were going to be nominated for academy awards. I just got done writing a letter to the academy of film asking what the chances were for Advent Children to be even considered for nomination. Do you guys think AC deserves an Oscar for best animated?

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]All I know is that it wouldn't fly on these same grounds at other places I visit and I still think it's condoning it when it's an obvious [b]fact[/b] that people have done these things (I mean, it's directly mentioned in this very thread; no link doesn't make a difference).

[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]But you yourself have offered MP3 downloads on your own site in the past. If I owned a copy of Advent Children that I'd imported and I offered it to download here, I assume you would complain about that.

The only reason I respond in this manner is because we have made strong efforts to deter discussion about acquiring materials illegally. You know this. You know that we close down discussions about acquiring ROMs and you know that we block any discussion relating to the acquisition of fansubs. Allowing people to discuss a film or TV series or game is [b]not[/b] the same as condoning piracy.

All you have to do is look at the example in my second post for more clarity on that - where does it begin and where does it end? We can not and should not take responsibility for what people are doing away from our site and most sites would not do that either - I can think of several examples of large commercial sites where this is the case. As long as we are not aiding piracy and as long as we are not providing any sources or information related to it, we are therefore [b]only[/b] allowing discussion on the material itself.

There are plenty of issues where I would just be happy to leave it there, but this isn't one of them. I think it's somewhat hypocritical and unreasonable to be suggesting that we are condoning piracy, given the points I've made in this post and others. And I want to be very clear on that.

While I'm here I should mention that if anyone [i]does[/i] make the attempt to offer this DVD for download or if they provide illegal sources for it, they will be banned immediately.

Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand, I don't really know what the requirements are for something to be considered at the Oscars in terms of animation. I assume release date would play a role, but given that AC will be available in the US pretty soon, I'm guessing that isn't really a problem.

It would certainly be nice if AC were considered. Did the Final Fantasy movie win anything at the Oscars? I don't remember. I haven't followed the Oscars at all for a couple of years, because I think that their entire awards system is pretty flawed. There are plenty of groundbreaking movies that haven't had a look-in at the Oscars.

I remember when Ellen Burstyn was up against Julia Roberts for best actress one year (Ellen Burstyn was up for that award from Requiem for a Dream). Most people were pretty amazed that she didn't win, considering how amazing her performance was in that film. So there are plenty of examples like this, both on the acting side and on the production side.

Unfortunately foreign movies also have some difficulty getting in, it seems. So who knows. It would certainly be nice for AC to win something, even based on technical gounds alone. [/font]

[quote name='HardSlash']ok new topic then. I read that Howl's Moving Castle, Corpse Bride, and Wallace & Gromitt were going to be nominated for academy awards. I just got done writing a letter to the academy of film asking what the chances were for Advent Children to be even considered for nomination. Do you guys think AC deserves an Oscar for best animated?[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Definitely, Its such a beautiful movie but I don't think that's gonna happen cause doesn't the movie have to have a really good story line and also its a video game movie. It would be really cool though.[/COLOR]

Guest Mad~Hatter
OMG the movie looks sooo awesome! :animesmil I cant wait to see it! My friend has it and she is going to let me borrow it next time I see her! I cant wait! The trailer was a good sneak peak and the reviews are good as well. So I have no doubts in my mind that the movie will kick total ***! :animesigh

Guest Warmaster
I've seen the movie, and I have to say that it is very impressive in terms of both the visual quality and the camera angles they employ (though the fights are at times very disorienting and erratic).

Concerning the film being nominated for an Academy Award, I'd say the chances are next-to-none, since it is going straight-to-DVD and not to movie theaters.

I just got home from seeing the movie at my friends house and it's amazing. The CG is the best I have ever seen everything moves so realistically is was like they were real. Also the fight scenes were incredible, we're talking John Woo meets DBZ, I was just so incredibly cool I wanted to piss myself. The music is a mix of old FF7 songs and some new opera/rock music. THe story is a little confusing but it is up there with the best of them.

As for the academy award, I have one word, NO.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally managed to get my hands on a copy that's in japanese with subtitles... and I think it's just amazing. The CG is some of the best I've ever seen, but the character that's the best would defanitely be Aeris... She looks real... lol. I was excited when I heard about it, but now that I've seen it... I'm more obsessed >.> lol...

Something else that's funny: My school has music on the morning anouncements, anbd on friday they played Sephiroth's theme song... lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest DNAngellover
[QUOTE=James][color=#707875]Yes, it's coming. This isn't a rumor...Square Enix confirmed the news yesterday at a press conference.

As far as I know, the movie wil arrive on DVD exclusively (ie: it won't be a cinema release like The Spirits Within).[/color][/QUOTE]

want do mean & what movie?

[font=Verdana][color=blue]DNAngellover, please make sure your posts contribute to the topic of the thread. Second, do not insult other members like you did. Finally, double posting is not allowed here. I deleted your post for those three reasons.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Also, these last two posts haven't done much for this topic. Please make sure to read the other posts before asking questions that would be easily answered had you read them.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'd advise you read the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url] and [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?"]FAQ[/url] before you continue posting. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other Moderator.[/color][/font]

Okay...to tell you guys the truth...i was never a big fan for Final Fantasy until i watched the FF VII movie. It was awsome! Sure...it took alot of brain power, and i had to drag my friend into the room and threaten him to tell me what's going on...but nonetheless i loved it. I need to play the games huh? Yeah...i also loved the graphic, so realisic! And i loved Cloud's hair!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children is one of the greatest films i have ever seen, they depicted the characters very well. [spoiler] I liked how they brought Sephiroth into it, although I personally think he wasn't in the film long enough but hey [/spoiler] The graphics were absolutely amazing, Vincent, [spoiler] Sephiroth[/spoiler], Cloud and Red XIII looked as cool as i'd imagined. The story was a great aswell. [spoiler] I laughed so much when Loz's phone rang with the victory fanfare from the game [/spoiler]

• 2 months later...
Guest frogmancdw
I've seen pieces of it on the psp, the visuals are insane! There is so much animation at one time it's mind blowing.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
Final Fantasy VII: A. C. literally deserves a 5 star award. I have the movie on DVD, and like what of you guys are saying, it's in japanese with english subtitles. The visuals were utter perfection, and the battles, man, the battles were good. I would give more insight on it, but for those who haven't watched I don't want to spoil the moment. Once again if you haven't watch it, you better watch, because it's phenomental. A great piece of work.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

AC for me was a great movie in itself, let alone a great continuation of a pre-existing storyline. There's plenty non-FF7 fans wouldn't know if watching the movie without playing the game but the movie portrays enough to hold it's own without the need. One of the best RPGs every created deserved this from the get go, there was no way i could have waited for the english dub to come out, so i've had it on DVD in it's orignial form since late last year.

The visuals were awesome obviously, the remixed music was one of the best parts, and i loved seeing every character reintroduced as well as the debut of the new ones. The fight scenes were great especially [spoiler]Tifa vs Loz in the church and the motorcycle fight scenes between Cloud and all 3 of them. I thought they kind of decimated Bahamut's looks a bit too much for my taste, but that scene was pretty off the hook since it was a joint fight between the old party members. Oh, and very much lol @ Reno getting locked out of the house by Cloud at the beggining of the movie.[/spoiler]

Despite my love for the game and movie, it wasen't without it's shortcomings but it was nothing too costly to the experience. I would have liked the movie to be a bit longer however, as well as see a more developed intergration of [spoiler]Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo[/spoiler] into the story.

Guest Greiver-zx
I saw FF AC like a couple months ago which my friend downloaded for me off the internet!!! I also was impresseed but there was one disadvantage to it, and that was that it was all in japanese. That wasn't too bad, but I wanted to see it sooner since it hit japan in septermber of 2005!!!! :animestun

• 2 months later...
I got FFVII: AC 3 days ago. The movie was pretty good. (Good enough for me to watch 3 days in a row ^_^) For real though, those fight scenes were over the top, and that's all that is really needed for me to be hooked. I didn't really pay much attention to the storyline (hell, I didn't pay any attention to the storyline in the game) because I was so hooked on the fights.

Reno and Rude were funny. [spoiler]Whatever that thing was that dropped on Rude's head [/spoiler], I found it to be hilarious. I laughed so hard till it brought me to tears.

The only thing I didn't really care for was the heavy metal. I'm not a fan, but as much as I dislike heavy metal, it actually fit those fights. It's just a little nitpick, but it didn't really matter.

All in all the movie was definitely good. It made me want to play FFVII again that's for sure.

1. Final FantasyVII: Advent Children is perhaps the coolest movie i've seen in a good long while [I](My answer is loaded though because i'm biased. FFVII is the game of games for me, a [B]VERY[/B] close second would be Kingdom Hearts I & II).[/I]

2. Sephiroth is a mighty man of men and a cool villian, [B]BUT[/B] (And this is for anyone who's played FF VI...) [B]Shadow[/B] was, is, and always will be the best of villians!!! (Look up Shadow on the web and do research, those of you who haven't played.)

3. Last, but not least, (And I say this jokingly FF VII fans...) Sora could've taken Sephiroth and Cloud at the same time, hands down! :beer: [B][/B] Here, here!

[I][B]EDIT:[/B] (Okay, maybe Sora could use [B]Riku's[/B] help for that [B][I]particular[/I][/B] fight! :animeswea )[/I]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Personally I just finished watching Advent Children, and while I haven't played Final Fantasy VII in years, I must admit I found it rather enjoyable. The animation was very impressive, as were the fight scenes, but honestly I did find that all the male characters look slightly androgynous with the exceptions of Barrett and maybe Cid. I suppose the only other nitpick and really this is more something I was slightly disappointed by was Red XIII's voice, I was hoping he'd have a deep rough voice but I guess you can't have it every way.

Over all a good film, far better than Spirits Within, hopefully maybe the beginning of a series of Final Fantasy movies.[/SIZE]

• 10 months later...