OtakuBoards

Entomology: Care to look?

Derald

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, as much as I searched, I couldn't seem to find an entomology thread, and so why not post one?

In this thread I ask that those who are interested to please post which insects, arachnids, and other arthropods fascinate them, why they do so, and, if possible, find a picture to post of such.

As for those who find arthropods revolting, I intend to make this into a thread which will educate and make more familiar various insects and spiders, so please post which insects and spiders you find disturbing and why.

Here's my first post:

[I]Dynastes hercules lychyi[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~kabuichi/hyohon/dynastes-hercules-lichyi-1.JPG[/IMG]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed][I]Dynastinae[/I] is a subfamily of beetles known as rhinoceros beetles, which are closely related to scarab beetles. They are known as rhinoceros beetles for the male's distinctive horns which have evolved in order to settle quarrels over females. They are also among the largest of beetles worldwide.
I chose this Hercules beetle since beetles are among the most successful of insects, and I find the immense structural endurance and strength of these creatures to be simply astounding.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest kuroinuyoukai
I like the scorpion because although it's small it can kill. The female carries her young around on her back and they glow in the dark.
Sorry it's not very technical.

[font=tahoma]I myself hate spiders, centipedes (however that's spelt), and maggots. But, for as much as I hate spiders, you have to respect them, and what they [b]can[/b] do. I'm choosing the "brown recluse/fiddle back". This is one spider you do not want to mess around with. The reasons are in plain black and white on the website that I'll link into the scientific name. But I'll just give you an overview of this disgusting creature.

[url=http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html][i][b]Loxosceles reclusa[/b][/i][/url]

Now, I'm not going to plagiarize OSU's website; so if you'd like more details, read up on it. The information given in that site could very well save your limbs, or your life, if you ever get bit by this spider. Anyhow, this spider gets its nickname [fiddle back] from the violin/fiddle coloring on its back. The spider is brown, and normally doesn't get any bigger than a silver dollar--but that's not always what you'll find. You may see small, darker ones, or large lighter ones. These spiders are the most feared mainly because they are extremely fast, they like to "play dead", and their venom is wickedly strong. A single bite can kill you, if gone untreated. Also, a bite will rot the flesh and muscle around it. I've met people who've gotten bit and they showed me the marks--only, the marks aren't scars; they're craters, holes, in the person's arm/leg/buttock/face. It's scary what this spider can do to you.

I remember in the third grade, I was crawling under a house to get to a dog and her puppies. The next day, I was running a very high fever, and my arm was aching so badly, it made me sick. When my teacher lifted my sleeve, she gasped at the swelling. My right arm was scarlett red and burning. So, I was rushed to the emergency room where the doctor diagnosed that I didn't get bit, but the spider could've ran across my arm after feeding and the venom might've just dripped on my arm. If just a surface exposure did that, imagine what a full-fledged bite could do.

I used to live in Oklahoma, so the fiddle back was the most common spider. If states had a state spider, the brown recluse would be that. My dad and I were cleaning out our shed, and we pulled off a six foot by four foot sheet of wood from the wall, and the [b]entire[/b] area where the plywood was moved with brown recluses. God it was so disgusting. He and I ran so fast, it was unbelievable.

These spiders are incredibly fast, and [b]highly[/b] aggressive. If you recognize one, do not try to catch it. Kill it as soon as possible, and with the bottom of your shoe or some solid object. DO NOT kill it with the bottom of your bare foot, or with your hand. And when you kill it, make sure you squish it good. If you smack it, do it repeatedly. They do play dead, and when you think it's dead and lean over to check it out..be very careful, they jump and run after you.

Nasty little buggers. I hate spiders, but this one really scares the piss out of me. Mean, fast, tricky, and very dangerous. I cannot stress how bad they are. Stay away from them.

[i]*If you would like to see the damage of these spiders venom, google "brown recluse". Only do so if you have a strong stomach. [/i][/font]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Next up:

[I]Peripatus[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.carolguze.com/images/animals/peripatus.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]This creature lives in the rainforests of South America. It is approximately two to three inches long, lives under logs and rotten vegetation, and comes out at night to feed on worms and insects.
This creature is apparently a link between annelids (worms and the like) and arthropods. In terms of evolution, it is ancient. It has the musculature and cuticle-covered skin of an annelid, and it shares it with the blade-like jaws, molting ability, and breathing mechanics of an arthropod.
Plus, this creature has the ability to deliver live young.

It's obvious to see why I find this creature interesting.

For more information, either search on google, or click [URL=http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/onychoph/onychophora.html]this link[/URL]:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]I really really don't like those Hercules Beetles... They kinda freak me out, sorry Derald =(

I do, though, like all types of Orb Weaver Spiders. My favorite being the most common of them, the Argiope.

Black and Yellow Argiope-

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/unmei_shinpai/argiope.jpg[/IMG]

These orb weavers can be almost 3 inches long from leg tip to leg tip. Although they are large and intimidating, their bite is only dangerous to people who experience severe allergic reactions to insect and spider bites.

Argiope spiders are also called "writing spiders" because of the bold zigzag pattern that they build into their web.

We have three of these spiders in our backyard right now, I'm really amazed by how they build thier webs! The structure is facinating! They weave the zigzag pattern that matches the patterns on thier back. They do this so that when they see a predator, they can simply sway thier web back and forth to make themselves look much bigger and intimidating. Similar to a herd of Zebras, actually.

Edit-
[QUOTE=Goddess][font=tahoma]
[i]*If you would like to see the damage of these spiders venom, google "brown recluse". Only do so if you have a strong stomach. [/i][/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Wow... Just... Wow... That was some of the most gruesome stuff ever...[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Guest Darth_Goober
I dont like any insects, I hate them all, no offense.......I'm sitting right next to Derald as we speak...muwahahahahaha I just poked him :D

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]All right, next one:

[I]Lethocerus americanus[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/gwbug3.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Ah, yes, the giant water bug. [B]Order[/B]: Hemiptera, [B]Family[/B]: Belostomatidae.
The giant water bug is an insect which is approximately 2.5 to 5 cm in length in general, however, they can exceed this size (believe me, I have kept a few in the past). Its two front legs have been adapted for seizing prey while its four hind legs have adapted for swimming. It breathes by poking a breathing appendage at the end of its abdomen above the surface of the water. It hunts using its front legs, and when it grasps its prey it stabs into the side of it with a pointed, cone-like feeding tube and devours its prey somewhat like a spider. Handle with care, however, as if handled improperly it can deliver a painful stab with its mouthpiece.

Also, I forgot to mention, its prey usually consists of small fish, tadpoles, and frogs. Check out the attachments.

For more information click [URL=http://eny3005.ifas.ufl.edu/lab1/Hemiptera/Belostomatid.htm][U][COLOR=Red]here[/COLOR][/U].[/URL] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]Probably my favorite insect is the praying mantis, or [i]Mantis religiosa[/i] (Order Mantodea, Family Mantidea). I find them around here occasionally, and I like catching and keeping them as pets. Usually it's not hard to find food for them; moths, beetles, and other easily catchable insects abound in the spring, summer, and fall. Watching them catch and devour their prey alive is lots of fun.

For some general info, these mantids grow to about 2, 2 1/2 inches long, and have wings covering their abdomen, which they can use for short flights. Males are usually a tan color, and females are green like the one in the picture. Another interesting thing about mantids is that, after mating, the females eat the males. They're like the ultimate dominatrixes.[/color]

[COLOR=#A28C56][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/salagubang.jpg[/IMG]
Phylum [i]Arthropoda[/i]
Class [i]Hexapoda[/i]
Order [i]Coleoptera[/i]
Family [i]Scarabaeidae[/i][/CENTER]

Deathly afraid of 'em scarabs. I remember rushing out of a resort changing room clad only in a towel 'cause I saw one scurrying around the floor. In rural areas, kids tie strings 'round the thorax (the head,yeah?) and make them beetles fly around in circles. They're not that dangerous and I was told that they taste fantastic with beer.

EDIT:
Ah, the thorax then! More specifically, the narrow pinched part between the thorax and the abdomen. Thank you for pointing that out! *bows*[/COLOR]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Another interesting thing about mantids is that, after mating, the females eat the males. They're like the ultimate dominatrixes.[/color][/quote]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]You know what else is interesting about the mantis? In some species the male has become completely non-existent, and the females reproduce by laying unfertilized eggs which, surprisingly, hatch into more females. This process is known as parthenogenesis.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Raya']In rural areas, kids tie strings 'round the thorax (the head,yeah?)[/quote]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Actually, the thorax is the second of the three main body segments of an insect. First is the head, second is the thorax, and last comes the abdomen. Just thought I should clear that up.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Derald][FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]You know what else is interesting about the mantis? In some species the male has become completely non-existent, and the females reproduce by laying unfertilized eggs which, surprisingly, hatch into more females. This process is known as parthenogenesis.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]That is genuinely creepy.

But now it's time for the spider we've all been waiting for, the one that sends chills down all of our spines, the one we've all heard of-- The Black Widow.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/unmei_shinpai/black_widow_spider_picture.jpg[/IMG]

Black Widow Spider
Araneae: Theridiidae, Latrodectus mactans

We all know that the black widow is black and has that tell-tale red hourglass. The females grow to be about 1 1/2 inches (38mm) long, 1/4 inch (6.4mm) in diameter. The males are similar in size, but have lighter colors and generally have streaks on thier underside rather than an hourglass. The bite of a Black Widow spider can be deadly, of course, so seek immediate help if bitten.

INTERESTING FACTS: The female eats the male after mating. She hangs belly upward and rarely leaves the web.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]
[QUOTE=sakurasuka][SIZE=1]I really really don't like those Hercules Beetles... They kinda freak me out, sorry Derald =(

I do, though, like all types of Orb Weaver Spiders. My favorite being the most common of them, the Argiope.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I ran into one of those, once. While I was lost in a field on safari. Scariest moment of my life? Yes. I looked down to see one of those on my arm and made my friend hit it with a stick...while screaming hysterically. I don't like spiders very much. =/

I do however like snails.

[IMG]http://www.graficimages.com/snail.JPG[/IMG]
=D

Why? Simply because they're adorable. I used to keep pet snails when I was younger and I had a little 'snail circus' in an old wooden drawer out in my back garden. One of the snails was called Speedy, how cute and cliché is that? Haha.

I don't know anything about snails, really, but someone once told me that certain snails eat each other. Dunno if that true, but when I tried to start my snail village in a cupboard, I opened the doors to find empty shells. Probably due to the lack of oxygen and heat. I thought I was being kind.

(It was that big one, he ate them!) ;_;[/SIZE]

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]So ... many ... spiders ...

I might leave modding of this thread to Stu and Panda in future.

Personally I'm quite a fan of the Pond Skater.

[img]http://www.hitchams.suffolk.sch.uk/habitats/images/pondskater.jpg[/img]

I'm afraid I don't know the genus or anything ... I just find it fascinating that something can have evolved to take advantage of surface tension the way these do. That and the Jesus Lizard - any animal that walks on water is good in my book.
[/font][/color]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Here's one of my personal favorites:

[I]Magicicada septendecim[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.carolinanature.com/pix/cicada5090.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]The periodical cicada. [B]Order[/B]: Hemiptera, [B]Family[/B]: Cicadidae.

Now, based on the prior experiences I have had with showing people this insect, I'm sure many of you are looking at it and are saying "Hey, it's a locust." Well, it's not, and I hate it when people constantly keep calling it so. A [B]locust[/B] is a member of the [B]grasshopper family[/B], so please learn.

Now, sorry for the outburst, but, after all, this is meant to be an educational thread.

The periodical cicada is quite interesting as it spends a great majority of its life (13 or 17 years) as a juvenile nymph living underground, feeding upon the roots of trees. After this, the nymph finally emerges from the ground and works its way up onto a tree, where it will harden its outer shell and grow into an adult within, breaking out when the transition is complete. The cicada will now have a few weeks to live in which it must find a mate, lay its eggs, and start the cycle over.

The adult males have internal noise-producing membranes known as tymbals, which they vibrate using strong internal muscles, to produce a deafening (to us) "song" to attract potential mates. These "songs" are what frequently inspired haiku poets in Japan.

I don't know why I like them, but I just do.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Derald][FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
The periodical cicada is quite interesting as it spends a great majority of its life (13 or 17 years) as a juvenile nymph living underground, feeding upon the roots of trees. After this, the nymph finally emerges from the ground and works its way up onto a tree, where it will harden its outer shell and grow into an adult within, breaking out when the transition is complete. The cicada will now have a few weeks to live in which it must find a mate, lay its eggs, and start the cycle over.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I'm very sorry, Derald, that I cannot contribute meaningful information to your thread. I just wanted to pop by and comment.

By reading your post, I finally know what those shells where that freaked me out when I was little. I used to play on my grandparent's private playground thing in their backyard, and on the tops of the monkey bars, there were those curious shells... and I thought that the cicada was just being still, waiting for my fingers to reach up there so it could bite 'em.

I learned a few years later, after mustering the courage to touch one, that it's just hollow. So thanks for telling me those were cicada shells.[/size]

[color=darkviolet][font=lucida calligraphy] Ah! Kill it kill it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't like anthropods or arachnos in the least, but still there is something intriguing about an animal called a Black Widow

Genus: Latrodectus
Phylum: Arthropoda
Sub Phylum: Chelicerata
Class: Arachnida
Order: Araneae
Sub Order: Labidognatha
Family: Therididae
Species: 6

Curious Facts

Black Widow is considered the most venomous spider in North America.

The venom of the black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the prairie rattlesnake.

Black Widow spiders are not usually deadly, especially to adults, because they inject only a small amount of venom.

Only the female Black Widow is venomous; males and juveniles are harmless..

The female Black Widow hangs belly upward and rarely leaves the web.

The Black Widow is also called the "hourglass" or "shoe-button" spider.

Araneae is the Latin word for spider.

More than 35,000 spider species of spiders occur in the world. Of these, about 3,400 species in 64 families are found in North America.

Vital Stats

Weight: 1 gram.

Length: 1-1.5"

Span: 1-3"

Sexual Maturity: 70-90 days.

Mating Season: Spring

Incubation: 14-30 days

No. of Eggs: 250-700/sac

Birth Interval: 4 to 9 egg sacs/summer

Lifespan: up to 3 years

Typical diet: insects

You just have to love something that kills after it mates

Blessed be
Chibi Horsewoman[/color][/font]

[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Garamond]I can't believe that most of the bugs/arachnids in this thread are so creepy! Spiders freak the heck out of me. Now here's a bug worthy of mention!

[IMG]http://www.ecology.info/images/wide-monarch.jpg[/IMG]

[CENTER]Class: [I]Insecta[/I] (insects)
Order: [I]Lepidoptera[/I] (butterflies)
Family: [I]Danaidae[/I] (Milkweed butterfly family)
Genus: [I]Danaus[/I]
Species: [I]plexippus[/I] [/CENTER]

When I was in elementary school, we used to keep Monarch cocoons in a little aquarium until they hatched, and after a few days, we would set them free during class. It was so cool, we would study the life cycle of these regal little bugs (metamorphosis) and how they migrate to Florida/Texas/Mexico during the winter.

The larvae only eat milkweed, and the females lay their eggs on the underside of the milkweed leaves, and they hatch in about three to twelve days, depending upon the temperature. They'll feed for a couple weeks before attaching themselves to a twig and go into their chrysalis phase.

[IMG]http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/monarch_pupa.jpg[/IMG]

The cocoon becomes transparent as the butterfly inside develops, and after another couple weeks it emerges with an abdomen swollen with fluid to fill its wings. It'll rest for a few hours before its wings harden and dry, and it will then rest before taking off to populate the world with more poisonous little beauties. Yeah, eating milkweed as larvae makes them deadly to predators, hence why they are brightly colored and not camoflauged.

They are so beautiful, truly one of my favorites. ^.^[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]It's finally time for me to post a spider:

[I]Nephila clavipes[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[IMG]http://www.giffbeaton.com/Spiders/Golden%20Orb%20Weaver_2005-10-09-0106.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]The Golden Silk Spider. I had the luck of finding five of these spiders in my backyard, so then I kept one as a temporary pet.
These spiders, first of all, are not harmful to humans and will bite only if provoked (so no one goes out on a raid).The female is approximately 25mm to 40mm in length, and the male is approximately 6mm in length. The amazing web of the spider is an average of 1 meter or so, and the silk is, in fact, a golden color. Not only that, but many South Sea Islanders use matted and twisted webs of this spider to serve as various bags and fish nets (it's quite a strong web).

This is indeed a very good example of a majestic spider, so, please, don't go out and kill spiders such as this for the "heck of it", or because you were "doing it in self defense", and epecially not if it just looked "scary".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Sakura's third spider installment for Derald. Heck YES =D

Mexican Red Knee Turantula

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/unmei_shinpai/MexicanRedKnee_02.jpg[/IMG]

The Mexican Redknee (Brachypelma smithi) is a member of the Theraphosidae (Bird-eating spiders) and has been collected since the 1970's and 1980's. It was originally discovered by a collector named H.H. Smith in 1888, and was one of the first spider species to enter the pet trade.

Range: Pacific Coastal regions of Mexico.

Habitat: Enjoy living in and around natural debris, such as cacti, bushes, logs, and rock piles. Found in deserts and scrublands

Diet: Mostly insects, however, adults may eat young mice or small lizards.

Reproductive Behavior: Male tarantulas initiate courtship first by spinning a web and depositing small drops of sperm on the surface. Then he finds the female and quiets her with caresses. Using a mating structure (arm-like appendages called pedipalps) located near the mouth, he breeds with the female. Immediately afterwards he leaves quickly to avoid the possibility of being eaten. After a period of time the female's abdomen will begin to swell with eggs. She then releases them into a cocoon where they develop into juvenile tarantualas.

Special Features: Because of its gentle nature, huge body size and beautiful coloration, the Mexican redknee tarantula has been used in many films such as "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and a few James Bond films. All tarantulas have venom but this venom usually does not harm humans. However, some people may have an allergic reaction so it is best to leave them alone.

These are the most common pets, as far as tarantulas go.

I wish my brother wasn't terrified of all things with more than four legs, or my step-dad might've let me get one of these suckers. That would be awesome.[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
Guest D. Resurrected
I do not know how to put pictures in so Ill just say probebly the egyptian gold locus{pretty sure thats the name} anyway I like it just because I think it is beutifle and for some reason I just get a sence of deeper meaning to the insect. :animesmil

may need your help on this one derald :p

Dude, I dissected crickets today for Zoology lab. I felt bad though, since they were still alive, so I had them executed.

My favorite insect though is grasshoppers. Honestly, I kill them all the time, they scare me sometimes, and there's thousands of them in Iowa (where I am, FYI), but I love their structure. The whole thing with the legs and then the wings is just brilliant. [URL=http://www.diamondcomics.com/toychest/toys/99_11/SEP995092.jpg]I HAVE A PICTURE![/URL]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned this one yet:

[IMG]http://www.brocross.com/dfly/species/pics/Anax%20imperator%20m%201a%2015-6-04.jpg[/IMG]
The Dragonfly! The one in the picture is a male Emperor Dragonfly ([i]Anax imperator[/i]).

[b]Kingdom:[/b] Animalia
[b]Phylum:[/b] Arthropoda
[b]Class:[/b] Insecta
[b]Order:[/b] Odonata
[b]Suborder:[/b] Epiprocta
[b]Infraorder:[/b] Anisoptera

Dragonflies are probably my favorite type of insect. They're completely harmless to humans, having no sort of bite or sting, but are ruthlessly efficient at keeping down mosquito and midge populations. Anything that does that is good in my book.

Trivia:

They are the world's fastest insects, able to reach speeds of up to 60 mph.

The largest modern species of dragonfly is the [i]Anax strenuus,[/i] a species native to Hawaii, with a wingspan of 7.5 inches (19 cm). The smallest is the [i]Nannophya pygmaea,[/i] with a wingspan of 3/4 (about 20 mm).

The largest prehistoric dragonfly was the [i]Meganeura monyi[/i] from the Permian period, with a wingspan of 27.5?29.5 inches, or 70-75 cm!

They have nearly 360 degree vision, having nearly 30,000 facets in their compound eyes.
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Dragonfly_eye_3811.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Rhym][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray'] ..They're completely harmless to humans, having no sort of bite or sting...[/quote]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]As many may know, there is no better way to learn something than by experience. Although many sources say that dragonflies are harmless, I know, for a fact, that they do actually bite, regardless of how much research institutions deny it. How do I know? Approximately 6 years ago, while I lived in New York, I used to go to a friend's house and chase dragonflies. As I did this more, I eventually caught one with my bare hands and held it up to see. Being cuious, I placed my finger next to its mouthparts. Upon doing this I was given qiute a painful bite - data acquired. This, however, is only personal experience, not general statistics.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Rhym]They are the world's fastest insects, able to reach speeds of up to 60 mph.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Now, even though they are virtually the fastest insect on the planet, it is a common misconception that they are able to reach speeds of 60 mph. They are, in fact, only able to reach speeds of about 25-30 mph, with cruising speeds of around 10 mph.. It may not sound fast to you, but it is indeed fast for an insect. Don't believe me? Check this [URL=http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frameset.htm?faq&faq]link.[/URL] [/COLOR][/SIZE] [/FONT]

[quote name='Derald][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]As many may know, there is no better way to learn something than by experience. Although many sources say that dragonflies are harmless, I know, for a fact, that they do actually bite, regardless of how much research institutions deny it. How do I know? Approximately 6 years ago, while I lived in New York, I used to go to a friend's house and chase dragonflies. As I did this more, I eventually caught one with my bare hands and held it up to see. Being cuious, I placed my finger next to its mouthparts. Upon doing this I was given qiute a painful bite - data acquired. This, however, is only personal experience, not general statistics.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I was also pulling this from my general experiences (as well as from Wikipedia). My dad's a river guide (among other things) so every summer we usually take week-long river trips. Dragonflies usually live near bodies of water, their young being aquatic and all, so they're fairly common on the river. Generally, they mind their own business if you mind yours. Even if they land on you, they'll sooner fly off than bite if you move suddenly. Of course, many creatures will bite you if you try to touch them, so I'm not surprised that a dragonfly would (especially considering how big their chompers are).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Derald][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Now, even though they are virtually the fastest insect on the planet, it is a common misconception that they are able to reach speeds of 60 mph. They are, in fact, only able to reach speeds of about 25-30 mph, with cruising speeds of around 10 mph.. It may not sound fast to you, but it is indeed fast for an insect. Don't believe me? Check this [URL=http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frameset.htm?faq&faq]link.[/URL][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]In this case, I got this information from Wikipedia. It's not always the most reliable source, but it did say that the Common Green Darner dragonfly ([i]Anax junius[/i]) can reach speeds of 53 mph (about 85 km/h). I don't know what the source for this one is, but it's always best to take Wikipedia information with a grain of salt.[/FONT][/COLOR]