OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal

Guest chobitslover90

Guest chobitslover90
does any body here like heavy metal? and if so who are your favorite bands, and do you know of any GOOD anime with that kind of music?

oh and my favs are systom of a down disturbed and metallica

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I'll just slide this over to the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44][B][U]Music, Moves & TV[/U][/B][/URL] forum- That's the proper forum for discussing well... Music, Movies & TV. lol. Be sure to read the forum's specific posting rules ^.~. If you have any questions feel free to PM myself, or another staff member. Thanks!
[B]
Edit: [/B]Oh, it seems someone moved it before I could. Heh ^_^;;[/FONT]

Do not be surprised when you find yourself being ridiculed by other metal heads on what true metal is.

I am only here to forewarn you that Disturbed and System of a Down are respectably not metal.

I cannot think of any anime that has proper metal music in it, rather though I can think of metal bands hailing from Japan. With your tastes in music I highly doubt you would enjoy them. So I cannot help you on this situation.

If you give me a bit more information on other bands you listen to I can try to steer you into a direction of metal music that you may enjoy that would considerably advanced your view and knowledge on metal.

[quote name='Amorphous']Do not be surprised when you find yourself being ridiculed by other metal heads on what true metal is. [/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms]*Glares at Jake*

While I am disgusted by your first two 'favs,' I have some respect for Metallica, even though I don't really listen to them either.

I personally love Hardcore and Metalcore music, the former is not metal either. *still jumping through the hoops so Jake doesn't attack me, lol*

Metalcore bands all pretty much sound the same, aside from a trick that a certain band will do. To each his own. I like the ones that throw in some symphony behind all of the mic-swallowing. Thusly, I like bands such as Still Remains and All That Remains (ha). I sold my soul to Beloved last year, so that's probably worth mentioning. Definitely worth a listen.

Other than that, I mostly like hardcore, which is basically metal without the chorus and any beat or groove whatsoever.

Other than that, I must await your response for any further recommendation/badgering.[/font]

Guest chobitslover90
[QUOTE=Amorphous]Do not be surprised when you find yourself being ridiculed by other metal heads on what true metal is.

I am only here to forewarn you that Disturbed and System of a Down are respectably not metal.

I cannot think of any anime that has proper metal music in it, rather though I can think of metal bands hailing from Japan. With your tastes in music I highly doubt you would enjoy them. So I cannot help you on this situation.

If you give me a bit more information on other bands you listen to I can try to steer you into a direction of metal music that you may enjoy that would considerably advanced your view and knowledge on metal.[/QUOTE]

well i hate neo metal (korn slipnot e) i like old metal bands and i forgot to mention iron maiden as one of my favorites and i think that system of a down and disturbed are metal not really death metal but still metal and for that other guy who posted
i really dont care if you dont like sod or disturbed

oh and to answer your last question my other favs are avenged sevenfold, dio, gunz and roses and um well that what pops out of the top of my head

[font=trebuchet ms]Well if you like Guns and Roses, I must immediately recommend He is Legend, I think you'll like them. You can find 'em on PureVolume.

Aside from that, I don't know any anime that has metal music in it. But since you have lighter tastes, for the most part, I'd recommend Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and FLCL.

Bubblegum Crisis has a soundtrack based in a techno-rock sort of genre. I like it, for an anime soundtrack.

I love FLCL's soundtrack though. Its music is done by a Japanese band called the pillows, which is basically a bit like Weezer.

Sure, it's not exactly your tastes, but you'd probably like it anyway.[/font]

[quote name='chobitslover90']well i hate neo metal (korn slipnot e)[/quote]That is a very good start.

[quote name='chobitslover90'] i like old metal bands and i forgot to mention iron maiden as one of my favorites[/quote]If you like Iron Maiden you'll probably enjoy a lot of power metal examples being Iced Earth or Helloween.

[quote name='chobitslover90'] and i think that system of a down and disturbed are metal not really death metal but still metal[/quote] In all honesty I really have to tell you that they are not metal in any respect. Just heavier rock.

[quote name='chobitslover90']oh and to answer your last question my other favs are avenged sevenfold, dio, gunz and roses and um well that what pops out of the top of my head[/quote]
Well like I said you'd probably enjoy some power metal in most cases, once again Iced Earth and Helloween for the best examples. (I'm not a great fan of power metal, but you should check those bands out first and see if you enjoy them.)

well, as the guy above me said, System of a Down, Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn, etc is not metal, metallica is metal but they lost any respect same as Ozzy Osbourne, now Iron Maiden, thats some metal, Iced Earth (Dunno if its power or thrash) Helloween, thats great metal, I like power and heavy metal mostly, and if you want to listen to real metal get those bands, they are good to start, eventually you will go discovering other ands like Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray some old heavy as Judas Priest is also good.

Guest Heero yuy
[QUOTE=chobitslover90]does any body here like heavy metal? and if so who are your favorite bands, and do you know of any GOOD anime with that kind of music?

oh and my favs are systom of a down disturbed and metallica[/QUOTE]
Not really close to metal..nor heavy...

but metallica is thrash metal...

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Please be aware that double posting is not allowed at OtakuBoards. I would have merged your posts but your second post did not really contain any content.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=chobitslover90]does any body here like heavy metal? and if so who are your favorite bands, and do you know of any GOOD anime with that kind of music?

oh and my favs are systom of a down disturbed and metallica[/QUOTE]

.............first....System of a Down and Disturbed aren't metal. Second.....You didn't even spell one of the band's name right.....i don't know if I'm the only one thinking this...but you are one of those people labeled as "Poser".

[quote name='MindGrinder'].............first....System of a Down and Disturbed aren't metal. Second.....You didn't even spell one of the band's name right.....i don't know if I'm the only one thinking this...but you are one of those people labeled as "Poser".[/quote]

Obviously this person was what anyone would consider a 'Poser'. But not all 'Posers' realize that they are being one thus it's not there fault but at the same time it's quite annoying for anyone who is considerably not one. I was merely trying to be nice in respect on trying to swerve them on a different path but it does not matter as they have been banned now anyways. Probably for the best judging by the characteristics of this person.

Don't worry, Rifles, I wasn't gonna attack you :laugh:. I guess I really do have a reputation around here...

Well, chobitslover90, it's already been iterated and reiterated, and shall over-iterate it: System of a Down and Disturbed are not Metal bands. Metallica is (although due to St. Anger, I'm embarrased to admit that it is).

If you like Iron Maiden, Amorphous's suggestions are (as usual) perfect. Iced Earth would probably be a great starting point. It's got a great blend of thrash and power metal that you'll most likely enjoy a lot.

It's been so long sinnce I took up any time here. It's good to return to find at least one person with great musical taste. Pretty crucial, that Rifles. Pretty darn crucial.

My musical tastes are a bit rangey. They go from the depths of grindcore to reggae and hip hop. So, heh, it's hard to list any number of favorite bands.

As far as heavy metal in anime, it's also been ages since I took up any time with anime. I can't help you there. I can, however, point you in the direction of a few good 'metalish' bands:

the Chariot- Chaotic metal/grind(officially considered to be Southern Hardcore, I think. But don't let that make you think it's in any way 'Southern' in sound. It should be noted that this sound was made popular--if not made entirely--by Norma Jean, originally.)
Norma Jean- Metalcore/grind
As I Lay Dying- Metal/ post-hardcore
Iced Earth- Power metal/thrash
the Showdown- Southern metal/thrash/death metal
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster- Southern metal
Sletchvalk- Black metal/symphonic metal
With Blood Comes Cleansing- Death metal/thrash
He Is Legend- Metal/Southern rock/Power metal
It Dies Today- Metal/Hardcore

Has anyone noticed the recent reemergence of thrash and power metal? I love it, especially as some bands are beginning to take those old sounds and mix them with the newer metalcore/hardcore sounds that have all but become cliche. I've also noticed how bands are beginning to push deeper into synthesizer-powered hard music, which has really brought death metal and black metal increasingly to the forefront.

I'm one of those losers who's in a band, goes to far too many shows, spends too much money on CDs and could go on about this music thing forever.

-Justin

[quote name='Justin']It's been so long sinnce I took up any time here. It's good to return to find at least one person with great musical taste. Pretty crucial, that Rifles. Pretty darn crucial.[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]Thank you, lol.[/font]

[quote name='Justin']Has anyone noticed the recent reemergence of thrash and power metal? I love it, especially as some bands are beginning to take those old sounds and mix them with the newer metalcore/hardcore sounds that have all but become cliche. I've also noticed how bands are beginning to push deeper into synthesizer-powered hard music, which has really brought death metal and black metal increasingly to the forefront.[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]I've seen a bit of power metal coming back, but it really hasn't been that much, at least what I've seen. I've been checking out Line of Fire a little, considering the fact that Dr. Extremus Melodicus has one of the coolest voices out there.[/font]

[quote name='Justin']I'm one of those losers who's in a band, goes to far too many shows, spends too much money on CDs and could go on about this music thing forever.[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]Welcome to the club. We have uniforms.[/font]

[quote name='The myth, the man, the Jake']Don't worry, Rifles, I wasn't gonna attack you. I guess I really do have a reputation around here...[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]*peeks out from covers* So it's safe now?

I also thought it was funny that ChobitsLover mentioned that s/he hates "neo metal," but also lists like two or three Nu Metal bands as his/her favorites.[/font]

[quote name='The ever-ready Rifles']I've seen a bit of power metal coming back, but it really hasn't been that much, at least what I've seen. I've been checking out Line of Fire a little, considering the fact that Dr. Extremus Melodicus has one of the coolest voices out there.[/quote]

Actually, I think Power Metal is making a HUGE resurgance - though nobody really knows about it, save Power Metal nerds :laugh:. Hopefully DragonForce's new album will help push the Power Metal scene into the spotlight a bit. (P.S. DragonForce effing owns)

[quote name=' The ever-ready Rifles']*peeks out from covers* So it's safe now?[/quote]
Of COURSE it's safe! You won my respect long ago, my friend. :animesmil Don't let me acting like a picky old lady scare you. :laugh:

And although Disturbed is nu-metal, their nu album (heh heh, get it?) was actually a HUGE leap forward in the right direction. More complex songs, better everything, and they broke a big nu-metal rule - *GASP* there's GUITAR SOLOS!!! I'm gonna have my eye open for them in the coming years. They have serious potential.

[quote name='The ever-ready Rifles']Welcome to the club. We have uniforms.[/quote]
Yes we do. And they kick *****. And they're NOT jumpsuits *aghem*shameless-anti-numetal-plug*aghem*.

I will give you a teaser, though - they include chainmail.

DEATH METAL IS THE GREATEST!!!!

FAVORITE BANDS:
Nile
Behemoth
Amon Amarth
Cradle of Filth
Deicide
Leprosy
Cannibal Corpse
Arch Enemy

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Please put a little more effort than "DEATH METAL IS THE GREATEST!!!!" into your posts. Maybe you should explain your choices?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Gothic InuYasha]DEATH METAL IS THE GREATEST!!!!

FAVORITE BANDS:
Nile
Behemoth
Amon Amarth
Cradle of Filth
Deicide
Leprosy
Cannibal Corpse
Arch Enemy

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Please put a little more effort than "DEATH METAL IS THE GREATEST!!!!" into your posts. Maybe you should explain your choices?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Besides the fact that Cradle of Filth is DEFINATELY NOT a Death Metal band, those are some great choices! My favorite of all the ones you listed is Amon Amarth, hands down. I love their oceanic, rolling guitar riffs and passionate Viking themes. Absolutely amazing band, and even better live.

Nile and Arch Enemy are my second favorites up there.

I like Arch Enemy because they sneak in some great melodies and solos. I tend to prefer their older stuff, though... it seems like they're losing what made them so awesome before.

I love Nile because their music is inspiringly technical and the Egyptian motif creates a very unique sound. They're incredible musicians.

I'm actually surprised you didn't mention Bloodbath. Their new album (Nightmares Made Flesh) is pure, absolute Death Metal gold. It's brutal yet melodic at times and never gets boring. Every song is solid from beginning to end. I highly recommend this album!

[QUOTE=Jakehammaren]Besides the fact that Cradle of Filth is DEFINATELY NOT a Death Metal band, those are some great choices! My favorite of all the ones you listed is Amon Amarth, hands down. I love their oceanic, rolling guitar riffs and passionate Viking themes. Absolutely amazing band, and even better live.

Nile and Arch Enemy are my second favorites up there.

I like Arch Enemy because they sneak in some great melodies and solos. I tend to prefer their older stuff, though... it seems like they're losing what made them so awesome before.

I love Nile because their music is inspiringly technical and the Egyptian motif creates a very unique sound. They're incredible musicians.

I'm actually surprised you didn't mention Bloodbath. Their new album (Nightmares Made Flesh) is pure, absolute Death Metal gold. It's brutal yet melodic at times and never gets boring. Every song is solid from beginning to end. I highly recommend this album![/QUOTE]

DON'T CORRECT ME!!! I consider Cradle of Filth as death metal. And I know you'll say it, "Behemoth isn't death metal, It's black metal" . Dimmu Borgir is Black Metal my friend. Anything satanic is Black Metal to me :animeangr
AND SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE THINK AS WELL. ERRR! (TWEAK) FRUSTRUATION!! :mad:

WHY AM I YELLING! Am I off topic?

...Sorry. I appologize for my rudeness. Forgive me :shifty:
I'm not trying to be impolite.

BTW. Bloodbath isn't really my cup of tea. I don't really know why. Although, I do like their one song "Outnumbering the Day".

[quote name='Gothic InuYasha']DON'T CORRECT ME!!! I consider Cradle of Filth as death metal.[/quote] First of all we are going to correct you because when you state a fact that you think is right and is clearly wrong it makes you look like a fool in front of everybody else. We are only trying to help. But I have to tell you Cradle of Filth are not Death Metal I do not know where you get your information from but you are wrong.

Cradle of Filth is a hybrid of heavy and gothic metal with the most annoying vocals I have ever heard. On a side note, they actually did play death metal at one point but this was long before they had even thought of playing the type of music they do now. Their death metal days were only released as demos which were incredibly hard to find and hardly worth looking into. Trust me on this Cradle of Filth is not death metal and I would not believe you if you told me you've listened to those demos.

[quote name='Gothic InuYasha']And I know you'll say it, "Behemoth isn't death metal, It's black metal" .[/quote] Wrong actually Behemoth from the beginning of their career were black metal. They from expanding outwards slowly advanced their musical styles in which became a hybrid of both death and black metal which then brought them to what they play today pure death metal.

[quote name='Gothic InuYasha'] Dimmu Borgir is Black Metal my friend. Anything satanic is Black Metal to me :animeangr [/quote] Wrong again! In fact they lost their black metal touch right after they finished of with the album Stormblast everything there after is a undefined mess of gothic metal with a bit of satanic imagery to try and coax more fans in. Also, you are wrong, there is satanic music that is not Black Metal and there is Black Metal that is nowhere near satanic.

[quote name='Gothic InuYasha ']AND SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE THINK AS WELL. ERRR! (TWEAK) FRUSTRUATION!! :mad:[/quote] Those other people are wrong, don?t think with the herd think outside of it.

[QUOTE=Gothic InuYasha ]WHY AM I YELLING! Am I off topic?

...Sorry. I appologize for my rudeness. Forgive me :shifty:
I'm not trying to be impolite.

BTW. Bloodbath isn't really my cup of tea. I don't really know why. Although, I do like their one song "Outnumbering the Day".[/QUOTE]
Well if you haven?t listened to Nightmares Made Flesh then I suggest that as their first full length album really is crap.

[color=maroon]Maybe we should spend less time trying to seperate metal and more time talking about the bands, eh? Not to be rude but it looks like this is turning into a dog eat dog "RAH RAH RAH THIS BAND ISN'T DEATHMETAL RAHRAHRAH" fest.

Anyways, if you're really looking for music you haven't heard before that are similar to your tastes I recommend going to [url]www.last.fm[/url] you pretty much just have to sign up, download an attatchment to whatever music player you have, and it records what you play (no matter the range between your tastes) and suggests similar bands about 150 songs in, or whatever.[/color]

[quote name='Her Black Wings][color=maroon']Maybe we should spend less time trying to seperate metal and more time talking about the bands, eh? Not to be rude but it looks like this is turning into a dog eat dog "RAH RAH RAH THIS BAND ISN'T DEATHMETAL RAHRAHRAH" fest. [/color][/quote]
The whole point to separating certain metal genres from other metal genres is to define each separate persons taste. We are not going to sit here and recommend bands like Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum and Beherit (All Black Metal) when the person is asking for bands similar to Blind Guardian (Power Metal). The reason we separate metal genres from each other as such is because of each persons taste and preference and for the obvious our ears, they sound different because they are. It is not pivotal to know everything and be able to separate genre from genre but it sure helps you define your music taste and help others in the process. It also gains you a bit of respect because then you actually know what you are talking about which seems to be rare in the music industry.

Plus not to be rude, we are talking about the bands. In fact I'm not even trying to be elitist in this matter I'm just trying correct errors that have been made which involve the bands mentioned. It currently is not an argument because the recipient of my last post has not answered my response so unless they take it rudely it is really just a discussion on bands and their respective genres.

You know, being so into the music that I can actually seperate death metal from black metal, it's funny to step on the other side...to a day when I didn't know what what either was, and all things with screaimg vocals were simply 'hardcore.'

Cradle of Filth is just that...a festering cradle of audible filth--just like Slipknot. I think Satanic bands get a bad rap because of bands like CoF that seem to totally disregard art and taste for image and gimic. Asa matter of fact, I don't know of a Satanic band that doesn't seem to slip down that all-too-gimicy road.

But I digress. Is anyone familiar with Sletchvalk?

[font=trebuchet ms]Every time someone starts a metal thread, it ends in an argument about genres. Can we all just please listen to Jake? lol.

I like a few of Cradle of Filth songs, but I do feel that buying Nymphetamine was a mistake, as the only songs that I really liked were Gilded C*** and the title tracks. Oh well, the songs I do like, I like very much, at least.

Hey Justin (or anyone else), have you picked up the new Chariot cd yet? It's actually worth those ten bones, although it's only six songs, lol. Yanni Depp is a really cool song, and some of the re-recordings are really good, while some aren't quite as good as the originals. I do like the fact that they did this in a studio, as opposed to a live recording, there really is an improvement, and I can actually listen to it in my headphones without too much worry.[/font]