OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal

Guest chobitslover90

[QUOTE=Amorphous]

Cradle of Filth is a hybrid of heavy and gothic metal with the most annoying vocals I have ever heard. On a side note, they actually did play death metal at one point but this was long before they had even thought of playing the type of music they do now. Their death metal days were only released as demos which were incredibly hard to find and hardly worth looking into. Trust me on this Cradle of Filth is not death metal and I would not believe you if you told me you've listened to those demos.

[/QUOTE]

I can't help but say SOMETHING about this...but Cradle of Filth is also one of my favorite bands. Their vocals are NOT annoying. Dani Filth has technique and skill. His vocals are difficult to match and are outstanding to my standards. I don't want to cause an uproar, but please take your insults somewhere else...we don't care which bands you hate most or which ones you think are annoying. This thread was asking for your favorite bands, please name some.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MindGrinder']I can't help but say SOMETHING about this...but Cradle of Filth is also one of my favorite bands. Their vocals are NOT annoying. Dani Filth has technique and skill. His vocals are difficult to match and are outstanding to my standards. I don't want to cause an uproar, but please take your insults somewhere else...we don't care which bands you hate most or which ones you think are annoying. This thread was asking for your favorite bands, please name some.[/quote]I'm sure you will get over it. It is my opinion not yours. Now if I had wanted to start an argument I would have been much more direct and degrading with the comment. Honestly his vocals are really not appealing. If you have problems with a persons comment take it somewhere else, like to the PM. Also at the time it was relevant when I was replying to the person who had recently posted. If you have a problem with that then do not go spamming up the thread. Though I would like to direct you to one point that all of what you hear on Cradle of Filth's CD's are almost never what you get in a live show vocal wisehe does not sound like the CD's at all. Very dissapointing.

Now before I get hung by the moderators I will also stay on topic there are some songs that I do enjoy by Cradle of Filth, (hm now think about your response to mine, it means nothing), those songs being Queen of Winter, Throned, The Forests Whispers My Name, The Rape and Ruin of Angels (Hosannas in Extremis) and From The Cradle to Enslave. As well there are a few random catchy songs that they have that are worth a spin every once in awhile.

I'm not a huge Cradle of Filth fan (they tend to wear on me pretty quickly). I do, however, tend to find Cradle of Filth's more recent efforts a little more appealing. I thought the album Nymphetamine was actually a pretty decent work. The songs Nemesis, Nymphetamine Overdose, Absinthe and Faust, and English Fire are all pretty decent (at least moreso than all their predecessors).

But, like Amorphous said, Dani Filth doesn't sound as good live as he does on the CD's.

Anyone here into any Viking Metal?

I enjoy Viking metal highly Jake. I listen to Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Mithotyn, Lumsk, MÃ¥negarm, Nomans Land, Bathory, Enslaved, Asmegin, Bloodaxe, Windir, Equilibrium, Skoll, Forlorn, Frostmoon, Storm, Thyrfing and Yggdrasil.

That's a plenty big enough list of bands that I enjoy that are Viking Metal. I would put Amon Amarth in there as well but in all seriousness they are not Viking Metal but rather Death Metal with Viking lyrics that's all. But yes I enjoy Viking metal quite a lot.

God...you guys must LOVE ranting...

I like a lot of the bands mentioned earlier (ex:Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Mithotyn, Lumsk, MÃ¥negarm, Nomans Land, Bathory, Enslaved, Asmegin, Bloodaxe, Windir, Equilibrium, Skoll, Forlorn, Frostmoon, Storm, Thyrfing and Yggdrasil. ).
I also enjoy German metal. You should try it! There is nothing more relaxing than hearing a German dude unleash his fury over the airwaves! :animesmil I would recommend Romstein, but you people have ranted and raved about what is heavy metal, I'm not even sure if Romstein IS heavy... :animedepr
OOC: Amorphous, you have a great taste in music there! :D

Actually I am not ranting, but trying to prove a point, anyways I am done with GothicInuyasha because the posts just are to much to read. Though I have to say, I wasn not being rude when I was directing you towards what those genres of metal where so there was NO reason for you to come unglued like that.
[QUOTE=Latharix_sama]God...you guys must LOVE ranting...

I like a lot of the bands mentioned earlier (ex:Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Mithotyn, Lumsk, MÃ¥negarm, Nomans Land, Bathory, Enslaved, Asmegin, Bloodaxe, Windir, Equilibrium, Skoll, Forlorn, Frostmoon, Storm, Thyrfing and Yggdrasil. ).
I also enjoy German metal. You should try it! There is nothing more relaxing than hearing a German dude unleash his fury over the airwaves! :animesmil I would recommend Romstein, but you people have ranted and raved about what is heavy metal, I'm not even sure if Romstein IS heavy... :animedepr
OOC: Amorphous, you have a great taste in music there! :D[/QUOTE]
Those are all only Viking Metal bands though, good none the less. Anyways I do listen to German metal Bethlehem being one of my favorites out of that country. Rammstein isn't actually metal to tell you the truth it is actually Industrial which is another neat genre of music and thank you.

Gothic InuYasha, you need to calm down. No-one was insulting your tastes (until you blew a gasket at everyone). And I never, EVER referred to myself as a music guru or Jesus or whatever, so stop throwing sarcastic comments at me. The only things I said were a) Cradle of Filth is not Death Metal, and b) your comment on Black Metal was ignorant (which I only made after you started ranting and freaking out on us in the first place). The fact that you cannot come up with a decent, civilized argument to help back your views does not help your position at all. Just yelling that you're right no matter what proves that you know little of what you're talking about. Please try to have a debate with us rather than just having a tantrum. Amorphous' first post regarding your comments was calm, collected, and structured like a debate, not an 'insult' or a rant.

Anyway, Viking Metal. Ah, I see we have some true followers here! I would never have expected half those bands to show up (with the exception of Amorphous - from him, it's no surprise). Since everyone's already listed most of the notable ones, let' discuss the bands themselves. My favorite of the ones listed is definately Ensiferum. I love both the albums, and they only have one song I actually don't like very much (Slayer of Light).

My favorite song by them at the moment is Eternal Wait. Something about that massive, sweeping chorus just brings my heart into my throat (in a good way).

Hey. I'm perfectly calm man. I never wanted to argue in the first place, but I felt that I had to.

And that 'black metal' comment i made wasn't ignorant, I just didn't word it correctly. My bad.

Okay. How about we just drop it all now. I'm done fighting.

Let's talk about music in a peacful & calm manner. Agreed?

P.S. None of those posts were directed to Amorphous so don't start hating me.

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms']Every time someone starts a metal thread, it ends in an argument about genres.[/font][/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]Just uhh, thought I'd tell you so. Yeah.

Viking metal... I have heard of the genre, but I haven't heard of any bands that play it. Thus, I will try something new and look some of those bands up. I mean, if ElfPirate can get me into Folk Punk, I'm sure I can be made to like Viking Metal.[/font]

If you like "folk punk", you should check out Finntroll. They're a Folk Metal band that's a lot of fun. They have some slight punk influences here and there, so they might be a bit more accessable to you. Natfodd is their best album (IMO), so I suggest checking out a few tracks from that one. Trollhammaren is the most popular song from the disc and is probably a good place to start, but my favorites are Fiskarens Fiende (the chorus is rediculously fun to sing along with), and Det Iskalla Trollblodet (about a minute into the song, the folkiness starts, and you WILL get up and do a jig. Seriously, you won't be able to help it).

Also try Korpiklaani. They're very punky but still Metal at heart, with lots of cool fiddle wankery. Check out the songs Beer Beer, The Hunting Song, and Before the Morning Sun.

Um, I don't know much if anything about metal but I'm popping in to say hello, because Rifle said to. I always get interested by the way metal has so many genres to sort it, so I usually read these threads ^^;;

As for what I listen to, Rifle has been slowly opening up my tastes to metal. I know that I like some of Between the Buried and Me. Otherwise most of it is too hardcore for my tastes...but then again, Rifle is breaking through my defenses ^_~ So That's all really, carry on.

[quote name='MindGrinder'].............first....System of a Down and Disturbed aren't metal. Second.....You didn't even spell one of the band's name right.....i don't know if I'm the only one thinking this...but you are one of those people labeled as "Poser".[/quote]

Hey, look. When I was first getting into metal, I barely knew the distinction between nu-metal and true metal. It's something that takes time. All s/he's asking for is some band names. I dont think that constitutes "posing".

Oh, and please do not insult people's spelling when you have noun confusion in the sentence used to insult it.

In any case, If you're into power metal, I would definetely gravitate towards some of the below bands:

Manowar
Dragonforce
3 Inches of Blood
Domine
Freedom Call
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Blind Guardian
Demons and Wizards
Sonata Arctica
Iron Maiden
Kamelot (although, they tend to be a bit... proggy at times)
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Yngwie J. Malmsteen (Also known as Rising Force)
Warmen
Sinergy
At the Gates
Kalmah
Blinded Colony
Mercenary (If ANYONE has some Mercenary, tell me where I can get some!)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth

Yeah, and also, Death Metal is pretty good (note: I just barely started listening to it again, so i dont have many band names, and most of the ones i do have are hybrid bands.):

Bloodbath
Lamb of God
Behemoth
Dark Tranquility
Into Eternity (Again, very proggy)
Opeth (Very proggy. Their lead singer is AMAZING)

Folk Metal (again, I'm just getting into it... sorry!):

Ensiferum
Amon Amarth
Moonsorrow
Moonspell
Vintersorg
Finntroll
Turisas

Among some Deathcore bands I like:

The Acacia Strain
Dead to Fall

Do anime games count?

Y'see, there's an anime fighter called "Guilty Gear", and it's completely based in metal, from the music playing at all times, to the names of the characters. I hope you find some of my info useful.

Ciao,

-Orcus

(P.S. Sorry about the trivium comment. :animestun don't know WHAT i was thinking...)

BAD, 0BER0N, BAD!!!

I don't want to start another argument, but this one is WAY to blatantly wrong to not comment on. In no way is Trivium a freakin' Power Metal band. No no no no no. I think Trivium is a fine band, even great at times, but they're not Power Metal. In fact, I might even call you about this tomorrow. WTFZORZ?

As for their actual genre, I don't know. They're pretty hard to classify. The genre they seem closest to to me is Thrash, although a Thrash band they are not. Many Metalheads call them a hardcore band just because of the (annoying IMO) vocals, but vocals alone don't constitute the entire band's sound. The music itself is nowhere near hardcore. It has way too many Metal elements and almost zero Hardcore elements.

And putting In Flames as a suggestion for Power Metal fans might be a bit misleading (although they do (or at least used to) rule the friggin world). AND Children of Bodom would probably offset said Power fans as well, despite their utter PWN'age (well... they [I]used[/I] to utterly PWN).

[quote name='Jakehammaren]And putting In Flames as a suggestion for Power Metal fans might be a bit misleading (although they do (or at least used to) rule the friggin world). AND Children of Bodom would probably offset said Power fans as well, despite their utter PWN'age (well... they [I]used[/I'] to utterly PWN).[/quote]

Okay, revision. The OLDER In Flames totally kicks ***.

However... Jake, it's Children of Bodom! Granted, they went a new direction with their new CD (implementing quite a bit more awesome breakdownage), but I think it's still a fairly safe bet to label them as Blackened Power Metal...

As for the Trivium statement... It was late. I was tired. I'm not even sure if I was in a rational state of mind! In any case, they're a pretty good band, and I respect them... although... Thrash, Jake? I'm not questioning your judgement (on second thought I agree), I'm just gonna have to talk to you about why that is....

Ciao everyone.

[QUOTE=Jakehammaren]Alright.

*handshake*

It's all good. :animesmil[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

oh, and by the way

0ber0n the Neko:
[I]"The OLDER In Flames totally kicks ***."[/I]

[SIZE=4]YES!!! THANK YOU!!![/SIZE] We have another In Flames fan here. WOOT WOOT! :animesmil

...and I do believe they still rule the world... but that's my opinion.

Yeah, 0ber0n and I are ravenous In Flames fans. We sit in front of my computer and rock out together, reminiscing of the good ol' In Flames days, heads banging, air guitars flying.

The reason I said In Flames [I]used[/I] to rule the world is this: Soundtrack to Your Escape. Ew. Sure, it's way better an album than many other bands could ever produce, but by In Flames' standards, it was awful. Terrible. Horrific.

The upcoming album (Come Clarity) is a bit better, but it's still kinda lame.

And my comment about Trivium was not that they [I]are[/I] a Thrash band, but that they have many Thrashy elements. I have no idea how to categorize them. And I stand strong by my opinion that they are NOT a hardcore band, albeit the vocals.

And as far as my statement about Power Metal fans being turned off by Children of Bodom lies within the fact that Alexi's vocals aren't exactly Power Metal material.

Ok first of all to 0ber0n I do not know how you can class At The Gates as a band that you would lean towards when listening to Power Metal as it is absolutely amazing death metal. To get something like that mixed up amazes me, I really do not know how to feel. That band is one of the gods to Death Metal music, or at least was. To class them as Power Metal just mystifies me.

Now Lamb of God being classed as Death Metal is a much more common occurrence and I can see why some people would think that they are but the honest to god they are nowhere near Death Metal. This band is what the definition of true metalcore is, and in retrospect are probably one of the best metalcore bands. Not that I really enjoy them all that much, it is not my style of music.

Also Trivium is Metalcore with some Thrash influences to clear that up and I can't stand them one bit.

One more thing; for the love of god never put Opeth under Death Metal again. If you ever want to place Opeth under any genre place it under Progressive Metal. Yes there is a bit of extremity in their music thus it should be called Extreme Progressive Metal. The Death Metal vocals are just considered Harsh Vocals like what Cradle of Filth does. They are Heavy Metal with Harsh Vocals or else Gothic Metal when we consider what era the music is from. Another example of this is Children of Bodom a Speed/Power Metal band with Harsh Vocals. The vocals define nothing in these bands they are still the type of music they play.

Anyways that was my beef with that post.

As far as In Flames goes I never liked them. Their first album had it's moments but that's about it. My gateway band to Metal, years and years ago, was Cradle of Filth so I'm more partial to them especially their EP "Vempire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein" and their two full length albums The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Dusk and Her Embrace.

I think what 0ber0n was saying was fans of power metal might enjoy those bands, not that those bands are Power Metal. I [I]know[/I] - for a [I]fact[/I] - that 0ber0n knows At the Gates is not a Power Metal band (he's a friend of mine in reality). I think he just listed a bunch of bands that he likes regardless of genre :laugh:

And since Opeth came up, I must state that they are one of my favorite bands of all time. I consider the album Blackwater Park to be a complete and total masterpiece from the first note to the last. I can spin that disc again and again and never get bored of it.

Opeth was the first band that ever really got me into music. When I heard The Leper Affinity for the first time, I was amazed at how complex the song was, the way different musical parts were added in layers, the way the vocals switched from death to clean, the way the music went from extremely heavy to hauntingly beautiful in an instant... I still get lost in that album, and I attribute Opeth with giving me my love and passion for music (and for rescuing me from Mallcore :laugh:).

[QUOTE]
Is anyone familiar with Sletchvalk?[/QUOTE] Ooh! I bought At The Dawn Of War just a few months ago and it blew me away. The "choir" parts in the songs are so amazing. It just sounds like this one booming voice of awesomeness. My favorite songs off of it have to be Mortal Serenity and Black Raven Dead. I wish Nath had written more of the songs because I could listen to Mortal Serenity on repeat for a couple days. :animesmil

Some of my favorite metal bands are:
Nile, Children of Bodom (not including the last two albums), Slechtvalk, Crimson Moonlight, ...aaaarrghh... (heh), and Holy Blood.

I've been trying to get into Black Metal (raw and the newish stuff) but my wallet doesn't seem to want me to. :(

For some reason I find it almost an insult to the Black Metal scene to have a Christian formed group that plays Black Metal and contains Christian lyrical content. The very reason Black Metal up rose as it did was because of the branded hatred for this whole religion and to bring other ideals across this Earth to more people?s attention. These ideas have been suppressed by people who are Christian or rather those who claim themselves to be as such or those under any other faith that believes in the one almighty God. That aside, being it my own personal opinion and that I feel that Christian Black Metal is a complete oxymoron and should not exist based on the principle of what Black Metal is, this band Crimson Moonlight has had praise none the less, possibly worthy of checking out? Maybe, I probably will never get around to it as I have bands that are much more important to look into at this moment.

Anyways my opinion is done and over with since my opinion could turn into a heated debate that I do not necessarily want at this time. Explaining myself may take too much of anybodies time here up so there is no need to go into why I think what I think.

As for actual black metal, there are thousands of bands I could recommend you. Next to Doom Metal, Black Metal is my specialty in the metal spectrum of genres. Give me a list of who you already listen to and I can see about listing some bands similar to your current tastes.

I see Black Metal as a term to describe the sound of a band/genre, and nothing more. I could care less about origins, lyrical content, etc. My friend had me listen to a mix CD that had both "true" Black [i]and[/i] White/Unblack bands on it, and musically I couldn't tell the difference. I can understand where you're coming from though.

I've heard that Crimson Moonlight's newest album is a mixture of Death/Black, but I don't know if it's any good. The album I have (The Covenant Progress) is Black, and it's alright. I usually have to set a certain amount of time to listen to it because the songs range from 4-6 minutes.

I don't listen to a ton of different bands, but these are the black metal ones that I listen to the most: Slechtvalk, Crimson Moonlight, ...aaaarrghh...

My favorite Black Metal bands are (Amorphous, correct me if I'm wrong at all, I'm not huge on Black Metal) Naglfar, Dark Funeral, Enslaved, Emperor, and Trollech. Naglfar is probably my favorite Black Metal band because although they're relentless, they have a very keen sense of melodic overtone that gives their music a really cool feel. Trollech I don't know a whole lot about but I have one of their albums and I'm liking it quite a bit as far as Black Metal goes.

[quote]Hey Justin (or anyone else), have you picked up the new Chariot cd yet? It's actually worth those ten bones, although it's only six songs, lol. Yanni Depp is a really cool song, and some of the re-recordings are really good, while some aren't quite as good as the originals. I do like the fact that they did this in a studio, as opposed to a live recording, there really is an improvement, and I can actually listen to it in my headphones without too much worry.[/quote]

As a matter of fact, Rifles, I just picked it up this past Monday at a show the Chariot was playing in Atlanta. And let me tell you, it was an amazing show. Can you imagine what that place was like when they played "And Then, Came Then" and got to the breakdown where Scogins was repeating "The devil is in Atlanta, armies surround,"?

I am, however, thouroughly agitated with the Chariot, as they, evidently, play a clip from "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" as an introduction to their live show. This was something I intended to do as an intro to one of our songs. Oh well.

The only other thing I have to comment on is the Christian-Black metal question:
Music is form of self-expression. That is to say, music is a form of yourself expressing yourself. That is to say, the music is yourself. That is to say, the music is who you are. Or at least it should be.
Therefore, it's kind of ridiculous to say "Because you're this kind of person, you can't play these notes on your guitar, you definately can't incorporate them with this type of lyrical content, you can't have your drummer do that, and please, please don't refer to yourself as what you are." I understand what type of people started the Black metal genre, but that's kind of irrelevent to the rest of the bands who make the music. All those bands are, after a certain point, are influences.

-Justin