OtakuBoards

What do you think about school?

hitokiri battosai

[color=crimson] I actually enjoyed School, or aspects of it anyway, like my favourite subjects.

There are negatives for the daily grind at school, but nothing compared to workign in a job you hate, where you also can't do anythign you want, and have to listen to your supervisors etc.... At least in school you get big weeks long holidays throughout the year.[/color]

[COLOR=teal]School is a great thing that brings you not only an education, but a ton of of unique memories, opportunities, and experiences you can't get anywhere else (student discounts anyone?). However, I also think school is a little in excess, at least here in the US. I mean, it takes you until you are - what? - 21 or 22 to finish up through college and start your life. Yeah, I'm aware of the whole skip grades thing, but let's stick with us average schmoo's.

I find that a lot of school is unnecessarily redundant. Yes, I know it's important to repeat things for the sake of emphasis, but school does it in excess. For instance, I remember not doing a single bit of studying in 4th and 8th grades, because the material was the same as 3rd and 7th grades respectively. Maybe we did more artsy-fartsy stuff in one grade than the other, but that's not worth a year of your life.

And don't get me started on high school...[/COLOR]

Guest kuroinuyoukai
As far as high school I liked it most of the time. Except when i had to sit in front of sluts in school. I wanted to pierce my eardrums most of the time.

As far as college-I love it. Sure the classes are harder, but I have much more freedom and I have met some cool people. :catgirl:

School - hell - the sulfurous abyss

Now, mind you, I would never even think of dropping out, as I will never take for granted what I have. I will still complain my ***** off.

Y'know, this thread reminded me of an old song we'd sing in third grade...

[I]Deck the halls with gasoline
falalalala lalalala
Light a mtch and burn it clean
falalalala lalalala[/I]

I don't remember the rest. Ah, to be young and naive.

Guest kuroinuyoukai
[QUOTE=? Nomad Tical ?]School - hell - the sulfurous abyss

Now, mind you, I would never even think of dropping out, as I will never take for granted what I have. I will still complain my ***** off.

Y'know, this thread reminded me of an old song we'd sing in third grade...

[I]Deck the halls with gasoline
falalalala lalalala
Light a mtch and burn it clean
falalalala lalalala[/I]

I don't remember the rest. Ah, to be young and naive.[/QUOTE]

I believe I remember it as this-
"Deck the halls with gasoline
falalalala lalalala
Light a match and watch it gleam
falalalala lalalala
Watch the school burn to ashes
falalalala lalalala
Aren't you glad you played with matches?
falalalala lalalala

School for me is annoying, well I'm not saying its not necessary but it can be hell. For example, I sit right next to this annoying brat in Psychology, I truly dislike him, he complains about everything and talks crap. Also my English class is so annoying, they never shut up, they only talk about "their men" and how the math teacher is accordingly hot (not really) I wish I was in college already. :animeswea

[FONT=Arial]I loved middle school, and I still love it. Between seventh and eighth grade, I can't pick a best year because they were both equally amazing. Regardless the evil evil staff who worked there (such as a money pirate principle, a siren AP, and the MOST evil school nurse you could ever imagine. I went into the clinic with a blue, swollen finger asking if I could have some gauze tape [because a real doctor told me to tape it to the next finger when I had broken the same finger a year ago at the time] and she was quite rude. She only gave me a half inch of tape, which did very little to help my finger. >=( )

Now that I'm in high school, I hate it. My mom is forcing me to go to a school that I have to be on special assignment to go to, just because the only other possible high school has a bad reputation (but all of my friends go there anyway). I'm a generally shy person, so this brand new crowd of people is really intimidating. This ninth grade year is almost over (just about seventeen weeks to go) and I haven't made ANY FRIENDS. Anybody who I feel comfortable talking to won't talk with me, and those who do talk to me are those I can't talk back to for lack of common interest. Therefore, it sucks. First semester was better when I had creative writing, but now I have to take college prep reading and the glass intelligence level has dropped significantly. I also have to take American Government with an insane, OCD ADD Canadian teacher with an awesome sense of humor, but he assigns too much work in too little time. Thankfully, my drama class is diving deeper into the performance part (we're doing improv right now, and the students are impressing the teacher =D ) so that's something to look forward to.

However, with the arrival of this year I have been unable to eat breakfast or drink any liquid but water without getting bad indigestion. I don't know why; I don't think it's stress (because I've become cynical, pessimistic, and even more apathetic than before) and I don't think it's anxiety, either. I just can't eat anything before lunchtime or else I'll get an upset stomach. =(

I plan to take a bunch of graduation requirement courses online, though, so the next three years I'll be able to take whatever electives I want. Ergh, I have to take a language course to graduate, and people tell me not to be stuck in one junior and senior year. But next year I have/really want to take AP (college course) World History, which will be my fourth core class (out of Algebra II Honors, Chemistry Honors, and English II honors). I only get three electives now, which are definitely going to be Concert Chorus (which I have to audition for, but I'll still be in a chorus even if I don't make it), Musical Theatre, and Creative Writing 2/Photo 1.

Le sigh...I really wish school was better for me. The way it's working now, I want to graduate before the end of my senior year (which I can do if I work really hard) but my mother says she wants me to stay the whole four years for "maturity."

It's her fault my high school career is sucking, anyway. I wish she would just let me live my own life. >=(

Okay, maybe that was too much information. Woops. [/FONT]

[size=1]I dunno, high school seems relatively boring, painful at times, fun at others. I won't go all angsty on you or anything -- I mean, I enjoy most of my classes. Drawing, Photography, AP US History, Ethics, Creative Writing, and AP English III are great classes -- I enjoy them alot. If I could take only those classes, I think I wouldn't want to come home.

However, it's the two classes, AP Physics and Honors Pre-Calculus, that really wipe me out. Those classes are so stressful, that they make me say "Alright, where's college?" The constant grind isn't all that enjoyable, and as of now, I really do wish I could get to college where I get to pick things that are more interesting.

But looking back at it all, I get nostalgic. I only have a year and a half left of high school (I'm a Junior), and all the times I can remember with my friends are all really great. I think it'll end too soon, and I'll look back in ten years, and give anything to live a week back in these days. For that reason, I try to enjoy the good times, know that they make it all worth it, and enjoy things while they last.[/size]

[size=1]Nya, school has it's good and bad points ...

the bad points = You have to listen to your teachers talk all day and half the stuff they tell you won't even be useful to you in ten years. You get bored out of your mind. You don't get paid and you do all the work. You can't have cellphones, MP3's, walkmans, ect.

The good points = You get to see your friends between classes and stuff. Some teachers can be cool. You have free time almost every day [I do]. You can meet new people. Ect ... [/size]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=teal']I find that a lot of school is unnecessarily redundant. Yes, I know it's important to repeat things for the sake of emphasis, but school does it in excess. For instance, I remember not doing a single bit of studying in 4th and 8th grades, because the material was the same as 3rd and 7th grades respectively. Maybe we did more artsy-fartsy stuff in one grade than the other, but that's not worth a year of your life.[/COLOR][/quote]
I noticed that too. I need 4 English credits to graduate, which I find a little too much. It's the only subject that requires 4 credits. I'm in English 2 (I'm a Junior, but I failed English 1 in my Freshman year) and it seems exactly like English 1. We learn the same grammar and the same reading/writing skills. The only real difference is the reading material. I don't see why four years of English is necessary. I already know how to read and write, and I have decent reading comprehension and essay writing skills. Why is it necessary that I learn that over and over again? I can understand if you are planning on having a career in writing, but then it should be optional to take four years.

I find school rather boring. There are some fun moments, but I find most of my classes uninteresting. The only class I really look foward to during the day is Design & Logic (programming). I hoping to have a career in programming (game designer or software creator). It's something I'm good at and it's fun to be able to make my own games (even though they're very simple). I was disappointed by Drawing & Design class, which was another class I was looking foward to. Most of the project are more or less the same as in Art 1 (another example of school being redundant). Also, I don't think my teacher has really taught us anything. She just gives us projects and tells us to do them. I was hoping to learn some drawing skills.

School is great. Seeing all the awesome people, leaving and going to parties, leaving and going on vacation, leaving and uh, leaving for the weekend. School makes me appreciate breaks. Oh, except there's that learning thing. Those teachers keep talking when I'm trying to hold a conversation and get mad about it, so that's a bummer. And that homework crap. And tests. And AP tests. SATs. ACT. Crap, school sucks. If it weren't for the people, school would probably be unbearable.

[size=1][font=georgia]I feel young. Everyone's in high school.

School, and other things can be good or bad depending on your view about it. You can make school fun, it's just that some people don't. Anyway, I believe school can be either fun or not fun. You probably will meet some teachers, the good, and the bad. You meet different people, the good and the bad, also. But that just makes everything more fun in my opinion.

In my life, my elementary school years were alright. I was teased quite a few times, and I didn't have a load of friends, but I did have a couple of friends which I trusted to no end, and that's really all I needed. So far in sixth grade, I was teased, but not to the extent of elementary school, but I enjoyed it. Got stepped on a few times, but it was enjoyable. In seventh grade, things got a little better, but I was still stepped on. Now in eighth grade, I'm more confident then before, and I've gotten so many friends (well, I believe they're my friends, well, at least many decent classmates).

So eighth grade is my best year, and I've got one of the best english teachers ever so I'm pretty happy. My Spanish teacher is nice but obsessed with work, my math teacher is stupid, my science teacher is also stupid, and my orchestra teacher is pretty nice but you can tell she has her favorites. So I'm having a good year.

Now for high school...ew. Not looking forward to those four years.[/size][/font]

I enjoyed school until the 11th grade. Then things went down hill in a hurry. I suppose I was just burned out on the whole thing, I really don't know why I began to hate it like I did. I absolutely hate college, but I've put wayyy too much money in it thus far to quit. So I am sticking it out until the end, I suppose.

[color=33333][font=trebuchet ms]School keeps me busy. I don't think I ever really [i]studied[/i] consistantly for any class until Algebra II/Trig in high school, and since then the only class I consistantly studied for was Short Calculus in college. All the liberal arts type classes (art, writing, English, languages, history, etc.) have always been very easy for me. (Well, that's not entirely true. I didn't understand the difference between adjectives and adverbs until I was in seventh grade, but other than that I was good.)

I've never considered school a place to be "challenged," and maybe that makes me a little spoiled. But I didn't realise until I was [i]in eleventh grade[/i] that classes might be consistantly difficult, and that I might enjoy that. All of my high school classes (save the Trig class I already mentioned) were tailored for the lowest common denominator. Class, for me, has rarely been something that I go to and pay attention in. Generally, it's somewhere I go to take up space, and I spend the time drawing, writing letters or stories, or daydreaming.

My high school was very small, and there was very little variation you could have in your schedule. Freshman year was almost identical to sophmore year. Junior and Senior year weren't much different. There were two AP options (Junior year History, and Senior year English), and there was a little variety in the classes that fulfilled the science requirement. You could choose between Spanish and German for a language class.

What did I think about school? It was just a system that I had to get through, and I knew how to do it. College is a bit different, but mostly because the classes I'm taking require a lot of participation (skits, presentations, etc.)

I don't hate it or anything. [/color][/font]

The only thing about school that keeps me from going insane is the people. A normal day for one of my teachers is to show up late and play solitaire for an hour. It's really fun to teach a teacher something (Thanks to me, my sixth grade Social Studies teacher knows that many of the names on his map are countries and not mountain ranges). Stupid teachers are fun.

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Right now, high school is tough. It's almost exam time, yet teachers are giving us a whole lot of work! Real work, not the review stuff. My bag is always heavy... I swear I'm already becoming a hunchback.

I don't like how some of the adults treat you. I was in the office one day, and no one really paid much attention to me, until my archery coach came in. He asked why I was in the office, and it wasn't because I was in trouble. I had to ask the VP a question about if my cousin could come. Then, he told the secretary how I placed 2nd in Archery (the sport most people don't know exists in my school) , then she started to care. Seriously, these people only care if your an overachiever, or underachiever. If your just inbetween, they really don't know that you exist. Like, when I went to see the VP, he looked up my profile, and I saw my ugly pic that made me jump because I looked high or something, then he noticed how my grades were pretty good, and I had perfect attendance.

So, if you aren't an overachiever, underachiever, or some good sports saint or something, some of them just don't care.

But, there's alot of good things! Like the people I know. I hang out with the band at lunch, and it's just fun. The other day we laughed so hard because of something somebody said about incest, but that's another story for another day.[/COLOR]

This year it'll be 4 years since I graduated from high school...even longer for elementary school! Point being Ok sure it sucks at times and blah blah...But really those years rocked! I miss them and wish they didn't go by so fast. LIke 4 years wwhoooosssssshhh! What happened there. Enjoy it wjile you can cause once it's gone you'll miss it and wish it wasn't over. Somewhat care free years are short... You don't know what you've got till it's gone....that saying is very true sometimes. But for me i knew i didn't want it to be over! bUT THEN KNOWING WHAT YOU'LL BE GIVING UP YOU STILL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE! Enjoy it. It's the only time you've got.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]For me personally I still think that so far I have had some of my best memories while I was still in middle school. Everything seemed to come easy for me and I was able to relax almost everyday. Now that I am in highschool however I just want to shoot myself. It really is a long and enduring. Now however I may complain to my hearts content. I know that some time in the future I will say something like. " Wow I am so glad that I had already learned this in high school without it I would have been so lost." That and the though of what college is like are the only things that are keeping me going right now. Yet, Highschool is begining to be better than what I though of it at the begining of the year. Its probaly now that finals are over though.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=COURIER NEW]I think I like school every now and then. I think school probably offers a good opurtunity to not only learn the same stuff as the year before but to meet alot of unique people that you probably wouldn't even know existed. Most of the people in this thread probably met some of thier best friends in school but who knows, I could be wrong?

Well anyways, (my response always seems to stray off) to further answer your question school is okay up to a certain point. I think I probably enjoyed most of my school days during middle school. Mostly because I skipped most of my classes and found new ways to run the halls without forging a teacher's signature on my hall passes all the time. :D[/FONT]

[COLOR=Indigo]It depends on the level of school as to whether of not I liked it. For me High School was a big drag. I was one of the few kids who didn?t belong to the major religion of the area and even teachers didn?t like me for that one stupid thing. And the actual studying and learning? Well truth be known it was very boring.

Now I am in College and I really enjoy school. I?ve made lots of new friends and it?s big enough that what religion you belong, or don?t belong to, doesn?t matter since there are too many students for the teachers or even the other kids to keep track of.

It?s also a lot more interesting as there are quite a bit more classes to chose from so you can take what really interests you instead of what the state tells you to take.[/COLOR]

Part of me believes in school, part of me doesn't.

Firstly, for a single class to hold 20+ people, with only 1 teacher is not school.

You can't get the full benefit of being taught at a class rate of speed, some people are slower, some people get it quick, in this situation the slower people get ridiculed for it, and get labled as "Stupid". Which is not the case, they just learn differently.

I think the biggest downside of school is that if you as a student doesn't get something, he/she's not going to raise his/her hand and ask a question for fear of being labled "Stupid".

In I way, I believe that from a certain lower grade, and through highschool, kids learn far more that are homeschooled, or in a "decent" private school.

By decent, I mean a better student to teacher ratio. Not decent would be, certain catholic/christian or other private schools where parents with bad kids stick thier bad kids in there as a sort of "discpline" with that thought that once the kid graduates, he will no longer be a "bad" kid, when it all comes down to parenting being the actual cause of this kids being "bad".

I think schools have too many distractions that poisen any good that could come from it. How many of you honestly took a class just because you knew you could sleep in it? That's another thing, kids are so overworked in school, so many classes, with penalties if they miss, are late, or what have you.

I have a lot of negatives, but there's nothing I could ever do to see my positives be put into place, because who am I? No one. Some things will never change. So I'll just complain on a message board where this will never be seen by the education system big-wigs.

.: eXo - the oracle :.