OtakuBoards

The most overrated game ever; Hands Down.

PWNED

I know this topic has probably been done at least a dozen times or so in the ast here but I wish to keep this straight. Have you evr played one of those games which is supposed to be Godlike and they turn out to be pretty much Bog-standard? That is what I shall rant about.

Well then; The game I shall accuse of being overrated is Final Fantasy 7. Now I know that it was groundbreaking in the Video Game industry but there are some key problems with it in my opinion. First things firs and I'll be blunt, It is far from the RPG epic that I am told about. It is incredibly easy I lost interest in it after the first disk because it was getting on my nerves because of the characters were nearly all stereotypical;

[INDENT]Cloud- The Badass spiky-haired mercenary that opens up to the world after a key event.
Barret- The slightly thick Black man who mostly swears and shoots stuff but has a heart of gold.
Tifa- The childhood friend who is more likeable than the main character.
Seiproth- The Villian that destroys everyting for what seems to be no reason because of plot holes.
Red- The only truly awesome character who gets his screen time cut after a few scenes.

Plus a truckload of boring characters that you wouldn't care about even one which kicks the bucket. I believe one of the moderators laughed at what happened after the character died.
[/INDENT]

Mediocre gameplay (Come on; ATBs again?), Shockingly average Soundtrack (No truly standout ones) and a poor translation. So you might be asking me why do I have a problem against possibly the most popular RPG of all time then I'll just say "Because it is very shockingly mediocre"
The only reason why it was so popular was beause the press sang praise on it being the first 3D RPG even though Squares 2 previos RPGs were far superior (I never played The Japanese version of FF6 so I wouldn't know) and they wern't Final Fantasies. Chrono Trigger which has earned the right to be kown as what could be as best RPG ever while Super Mario RPG was a fun little RPG that didn't get great media coverage. It was just something that they never saw before.

Well, I feel better now. If I did this at a place other then OB then I would be flamed big time.

So what does everone else reckon the most overrated game ever?

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Hands down? C'mon, even Ray Charles could see that Halo/Halo 2 are the most over-rated games in all of existence. Now, I'm not saying they're not good, cause they truly are so don't destroy me you Wanna-Be Master Chief's...but they ARE over-rated! What have they done that other games haven't? Good multi-player? Call of Duty, or even before that...Goldeneye! A good story? Pah! Play any decent RPG for that. Such as Shadow Hearts! You see what I'm saying here? Its good, no doubt, if you don't know any better. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I would have to agree with you Parabola about Halo 2. It is a good game but over raited. The ending especialy wasnt crash hot, a big let down. i was left there thinking. What!? is that it.... it opend it up for another one but please.

I know that this isnt in topic but the most "Under raited" game would have to be Far cry. That game was good and it got crap ratings.

I would have to say that another game thats over raited would have to be Splinter cell two. I played it for a while even giving it a good week and a bit but hiding in the shaddows and conatantly un locking lazer beams and hiding bodies was just well boring. I'm not saying it's a crap game, because it's not crap its good but just well got boring very quickly. For me anyway...

One of the recent games I found to be very overrated was Condemned: Criminal Origins for the X-Box 360. I had heard many positive things about the game and was very excited about it, until I actuially played it. The game was painfully short and repetitive. The forensic elements of the game were also way too simple. Overall I just felt like it was a mediocre game at best.

Halo was so mindnumbingly....[I]Average[/I]. To say that Halo is the best first person shooter ever means you really have never touched a PC.

On the other hand, Windwaker was brilliant. It's really the first adventure game to make it so that, at any point, you can just stop. Just go searching for secrets on the islands. Each one has a mini dungeon or special quest. I've always felt that, at times, Wind Waker outclasses OOT in more ways than one.

The most overrated game is God of War. I just dont like this game. You pretty much fight the same enemy over and over, linear levels, really bad puzzles, decent story.DMC is just alot more fun IMO. This game won a whole mess of awards and DMC and Resident Evil 4 won nothing. Its depressing :animesigh .

In response...

FF7: I have only gotten about to the end of disk 1, and while I enjoy the game, I have yet to see what makes it so spectacular.

Wind Waker: Pshaa! Now, personally, I don't play this much, because I'm not very good at this type of game, but if anything, this is underrated, and I feel deserves to be known as one of the greatest games of all time. (runon) anyway, the openended nature of this game and intensely great storyline make it a spectacular game.

Halo: Now, I don't play many FPS, in fact, this is the ONLY FPS I play, simply because its so damn fun! I could pick this game up any time, go to any level, beat it, and be satisfied! Not to mention multiplayer is spectqacular.

God of War: This wasn't as... godly as the reviews said, but it was still a solid and exciting game. I personally thought it was even better than DMC and had a FAR better storyline, which is nice to see in an action game. I thought this was very good.

As for my pick for most overrated game - Resident Evil 4. Did NOT deserve the hype and was way overly repetitive. One of the few games where my complaint is that its too long.

• 4 weeks later...
I have another one and that would be Vice City. I loved GTA 3 but it had alot of problems. Vice City did not fix any of the problems. The enviroment was way to small, targeting was a pain, IMO the missions were not as fun as GTA 3s, the list goes on. I did love the story line and Tommy. But just throwing in motorcycles and helicopters shouldnt have given this game perfect scores a cross the board.

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think that if you play Final Fantasy VII today for the first time, it's probably less impressive because of all that has come after it. But if you were to play it when it was first released, I think the praise would make more sense. It's like that with Super Mario 64; play it now and it feels limited and clunky compared to games like Jak & Daxter or even Super Mario Sunshine. A lot of it is about context, I think.

Anyway, I'd have to say...the most overrated game I've come across would have to be Halo. I find it kind of amazing when people say "Sony and Nintendo have all this other stuff...but only MS has Halo!"

Er...I just don't understand that, lol. I've been playing Halo where I'm currently living and nothing about it impresses me at all. I'd played multi-player a while ago, but lately I've been playing single-player. And...yeah. Single-player is repetitive and boring. The enemy AI is no better than something like Turok on Nintendo 64.

It does use some interesting storytelling techniques, but most of those are pretty much lifted from Half-Life, which game out years beforehand.

Having said that, I'm comparing Halo to first person shooters on the PC...and in that sense, it just doesn't compare to many of them. If you look at consoles only, perhaps it has a better shot at impressing...but I don't know. I find Goldeneye more enjoyable, frankly - and that's despite its now-dated graphics and awful framerate. I just never understood the whole "Halo phenomenon". There are other games on Xbox that I find far more impressive.[/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm with you on the single player campaign. While the story is interesting, it does get extremely repetitive. I think the real pull of Halo comes from its multiplayer, especially when Halo 2 is thrown in with Xbox Live. There's something about how the multiplayer games are set up that is just incredibly fun. It's hard to explain but I am one of many who have spent way too much time playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live in the past.[/color][/font]

[FONT=Arial Narrow]The most goddamned overrated game of all tides and times.. would be Jak II, also known as Jak II - Renegade. I was a youngster and a n00b-player when I awaited this game, and it was not suffocating or satisfying at all. I looked so much forwards to this game because Jak and Daxter 1 would be known as one of the best games of the PS2 to be ever released, IMHO. >_>; and this game had nothing much of magic elements that the first game had! The magic and beautiful story and platforming did become replaced with GTA-styled hoverboard racing mixed with mafia wannabe **** that I didn't love! (sorry for the bad language once again guys!!) and it lacked that much of the elements a true platformer should have. And the level of difficulty was a pile of junk. It wasn't hard at all. I was able to complete it (almost), but the things that made me almost throw the controller into the ground was the fact that it tried to hard to be a mature game, and did not succed! Nearly all platforming games that have tried to be dark after the first light game phaaailes! Like Ratchet: Deadlocked, this game and several others! I am grateful that they have not turned the Sly funny games into such games! So Jak II according to me was overrated to the least, and that along with "Goldeneye" for the Nintendo 64. It was good, but it wasn't that.. exciting and good. Sure the 1st person view was exciting, but I thought it lacked a bit portion of the Bond magic. That's just my honest opinion, and I'm ready to be a whole lot bashed for my "bashing" of "Goldeneye". Also, the Grand Theft Auto was always shown to be amazing. I think it catches the athmosphere of everything that it needs to, and the game system and mission system rocked ***. O_O; but I think that it doesn't deserve 10/10 and such, just 9/10. >_>; another overrated game is Super Mario. >_>; all of the games exept for "Super Mario Bros 1, 2 & 3" are a tad bit overrated. But then again, the other games are fabolous. The Final Fantasy's a tad bit overrated? Not at all. Try to mention one other game that surpasses FF in its great originality! And I'm not the hugest RPG fan on the planet, I usually play such games as Prince of Persia, GUN and other shooter/action games. And God of War is also overrated. But Jak II beats it all. Hands down!! :animesmil [/FONT]

[quote name='Petie][font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm with you on the single player campaign. While the story is interesting, it does get extremely repetitive. I think the real pull of Halo comes from its multiplayer, especially when Halo 2 is thrown in with Xbox Live. There's something about how the multiplayer games are set up that is just incredibly fun. It's hard to explain but I am one of many who have spent way too much time playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live in the past.[/color'][/font][/quote]

I don't think it's fair to base a judgment on repetitiveness, but I guess that's just me. I understand that all you're doing is going around shooting things and such and it becomes boring and such, but if that's the case ALL games IMO would be consider repetitive. I guess that's why repetitions doesn't bother me.

[quote name='James']I think that if you play Final Fantasy VII today for the first time, it's probably less impressive because of all that has come after it. But if you were to play it when it was first released, I think the praise would make more sense. It's like that with Super Mario 64; play it now and it feels limited and clunky compared to games like Jak & Daxter or even Super Mario Sunshine. A lot of it is about context, I think.[/quote]
I think you nailed it perfectly. And I think I mentioned it in another thread that maybe if I've played FFVII back when it 1st came out I probably could've had a different opinion. Not to mention I started out playing FFVIII before it. And then with all the praise and glory I heard about it, and still hear about it. It was misleading for me in a big way.

As far as what I think is overrated.... *shrugs*

FFVII, VIII, X - Honestly, this one can be ignored because I am biased against RPG's, especially those turn based games. Even though I was addicted to FFVIII for a little bit, it still didn't change my views about RPG's.

God of War - I'm a big action fan. But I found games such as Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden to be better than this. But this one ended up getting the most hyped. It was a good game though, but it never kept me interested like DMC 3 and NG.

Tekken 5 - To be honest.... Soul Calibur 2 is right here with it. I don't know why, but I'm not feeling these two games. In Tekken 5, I liked the idea of adding new styles to the characters.... (outside of Jin.... he sucks now) But there was nothing that blew me away. After getting alot of recommendations.... I was highly disappointed with T5. SC 2.... on the other hand.... It's good and all, but I just find SC 1 to be much better for some odd reason.

That's pretty much it though. I don't play many games anymore outside of the Metal Gear series, DMC and Ninja Gaiden. And then there's DoA and Shenmue on a occasional basis. Outside of that.... I've had a lack of interest in games lately.

[quote name='Sting']I don't think it's fair to base a judgment on repetitiveness, but I guess that's just me. I understand that all you're doing is going around shooting things and such and it becomes boring and such, but if that's the case ALL games IMO would be consider repetitive. I guess that's why repetitions doesn't bother me.[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]Repetition doesn't generally bother me much and personally, I still had fun playing through the single player mode. Like I said, I liked both games so my judgement is not based solely on repetition. I was just saying that he had a point because your objectives never really change. Game play wise, of course it's going to be repetitive but maybe some different objectives (besides a couple of the levels, and throwing the elite into the mix helped in Halo 2) would help to keep you from realizing that.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Jinpao Lee][FONT=Arial Narrow']The most goddamned overrated game of all tides and times.. would be Jak II, also known as Jak II - Renegade. I was a youngster and a n00b-player when I awaited this game, and it was not suffocating or satisfying at all. I looked so much forwards to this game because Jak and Daxter 1 would be known as one of the best games of the PS2 to be ever released, IMHO. >_>; and this game had nothing much of magic elements that the first game had! The magic and beautiful story and platforming did become replaced with GTA-styled hoverboard racing mixed with mafia wannabe **** that I didn't love! (sorry for the bad language once again guys!!) and it lacked that much of the elements a true platformer should have. And the level of difficulty was a pile of junk. It wasn't hard at all. I was able to complete it (almost), but the things that made me almost throw the controller into the ground was the fact that it tried to hard to be a mature game, and did not succed! Nearly all platforming games that have tried to be dark after the first light game phaaailes! Like Ratchet: Deadlocked, this game and several others! I am grateful that they have not turned the Sly funny games into such games! So Jak II according to me was overrated to the least, and that along with "Goldeneye" for the Nintendo 64. It was good, but it wasn't that.. exciting and good. Sure the 1st person view was exciting, but I thought it lacked a bit portion of the Bond magic. That's just my honest opinion, and I'm ready to be a whole lot bashed for my "bashing" of "Goldeneye". Also, the Grand Theft Auto was always shown to be amazing. I think it catches the athmosphere of everything that it needs to, and the game system and mission system rocked ***. O_O; but I think that it doesn't deserve 10/10 and such, just 9/10. >_>; another overrated game is Super Mario. >_>; all of the games exept for "Super Mario Bros 1, 2 & 3" are a tad bit overrated. But then again, the other games are fabolous. The Final Fantasy's a tad bit overrated? Not at all. Try to mention one other game that surpasses FF in its great originality! And I'm not the hugest RPG fan on the planet, I usually play such games as Prince of Persia, GUN and other shooter/action games. And God of War is also overrated. But Jak II beats it all. Hands down!! :animesmil [/FONT][/quote]

Dude; At least break this into paragraphs, It is a devil to read. Not everything that is there I agree with.

Goldeneye was probably the first 3D shooter on console which is a huge plus and was probably the first multiplayer game I ever played. Thing is; The game is almost the base of all the shooters that preceded it. It might be Nostalgia talking but I believe it was the first truly great game to be released on a 32 bit console.

I also have to disagree with you on the parts of Jak II and the Final Fantasies. Jak II improved on everything imaginable from the original and with the 'all sequels that go for a darker feel wiill fail' thing is quite wrong; Ratchet & Clank 2 (Not sure if this was Deadlocked) was possibly the finest platformer on the PS2 when it came out. BTW; just how many times did you die in Jak II? The game drops the difficulty curve the more you suck.

With the Final Fantasies; You are so wrong.

[QUOTE=Jinpao Lee]
Try to mention one other game that surpasses FF in its great originality!
[/QUOTE]

That is so very wrong; Plenty of games are incredibly original;

The Suikoden Saga
Alien Hominid
Viewtiful Joe

just to name a few. Those games have things in it that have never been touched in an RPG or any game before. The Trinity Sight system is easily the most individual story-telling device in a game ever. I'm just suprised that Square-Enix hasn't tried to steal it yet.

oh yes and Sting
[QUOTE=Sting]
Tekken 5 - To be honest.... Soul Calibur 2 is right here with it. I don't know why, but I'm not feeling these two games. In Tekken 5, I liked the idea of adding new styles to the characters.... (outside of Jin.... he sucks now) But there was nothing that blew me away. After getting alot of recommendations.... I was highly disappointed with T5.
[/QUOTE]

May I... have you babies? I haven't met anyone who has said something like that about Tekken 5 except for me.

Halo is " hands down" the most overrated game to date. Not only did Halo do little to change the FPS genre but it basically borrowed elements from other FPS games threw them together as one big hunk of junk and proclaimed itself the king of FPSs.

Even going as far as calling Halo the best console FPS ever is mind boggling to me as, in my honest opinion even Goldeneye with it's dated graphics and gameplay is still worthy of that title.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna][QUOTE=? Nomad Tical ?]
As for my pick for most overrated game - Resident Evil 4. Did NOT deserve the hype and was way overly repetitive. One of the few games where my complaint is that its too long.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! The game was hailed as groundbreaking and teriffying, but it was hardly either. The scariest thing in the entire game was a freaking twitching sac in a dumpster - A TWITCHING SAC! Somone at Capcom HQ frogot that graphics don't make a game scary.

The plot was terrible... the original RE had a very subtle plot that you had to put together yourself through various clues that you piece together over time. RE4 was like a James Bond movie... 'Rar, an American agent has infiltrated our village, rar! Oh, and by the way, the target he is looking for is located in the wooden house behind the woods... follow the path to your left... press A to open the door... look out for Dr. Salvadore to your left...'. I can't make this stuff up people! They actually have a file called 'Our Plan' in which they detail exactly what is going on for you! I'd also like to ask; who are these files being left [I]for[/I]? They are written in perfect english, while everyone else in the village is Spanish... oh wait, never mind, they're mindless zombie-things anyway! PLOT HOLE!

I'd also like to point out just how stupid the enamies seem... especially Lord Saddler. He's also pissed off that his pathetic underlings can't kill you, but every time he has an opertunity to kill you he just walks away laughing maniacly.

Ah, the bosses! The one thing that might actually have been skill testing, if each one wasn't instantly killable with a rocket launcher... did I mention you could buy rocket launchers? They're a dime-a-dozen from the convienently placed Merchant. Honestly, ANYTHING in the game dies in one hit with a rocket launcher - even Lord Saddler, who turns out to be the easiest boss since the dude at the end of Tales of Symphonia.

The Puzzles! Oh my god how easy were the puzzles! They were linear and boring and repetitive and EASY! The most skill testing one in the game was lifted directly from RE1 (Even the room looked the same!) but was ruined by one of the easiest answers of all time; press button 1, 2, 3, and 4 in that order. But never fear, there's also an alternate answer! 4, 3, 2, 1! MY SKILLS HAVE BEEN TESTED!

The game was filled with so many plot holes it's incredible; like, for example, at what point did Leon become a kung-fu master (his kicks do more damage than a shotgun shell to the head...) and a super soldier (1 man vs the entire population of Spain? Bring it on!), not to mention an acomplished medic (Hmm... random green plants... maybe if I put this here... A HA! Full health!), and a bat-man impersonator? (He has a grapling hook just like Batmans!)

Oh yes, and the voice acting! Ya know, Capcom doesn't really have a good track record for voices (The original RE1 sounded like a 4th-grade nativty play)... but the voices and dialouge in the REmake were superb, I thought they'd learned their lesson. NOT SO. Leon sounds ok, but everything he says is a cliche! EVERY SINGLE THING! And if you thought Alfred Ashford was the most annoying character in history, you've never heard Lord Salazar. He sounds kind of like Alfred with a girble clawing away at his throat from the inside, with a bad cold.

All in all... a terribly addicting sin againts nature that deserves to burn in hell. I'm still going to beat The Mercenaries though :cool: [/COLOR][/FONT]

For me, i think that 'GTA vice city' and 'GTA San Andreas' were Over-rated. Ok, yes i did like them both, but there was nothing there from both of them that i thought was fun enough to keep me playing them. I think that Vice city was more of a let-down because it was basically the same thing, ok you could buy businesses, but there wasnt much area added to it from what was in GTA3.

San Andreas was basically the same again with more area, the added factor of maintaining our physical state added more to it which was good. Overall i thought it was good game, but not as good as it was made out to be

[QUOTE=Ziggy Stardust][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]
EXACTLY! The game was hailed as groundbreaking and teriffying, but it was hardly either. The scariest thing in the entire game was a freaking twitching sac in a dumpster - A TWITCHING SAC! Somone at Capcom HQ frogot that graphics don't make a game scary.[/quote]

[CENTER][img]http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1740/11297631180737an.gif[/img][/CENTER]

A game doesn't have to be groundbreaking or terrifying in order to be simply and utterly fantastic. Unlike previous Resident Evil titles, which relied heavily on scripted "surprise scares" that wore thin, Resident Evil 4 goes the intelligent route by providing constant, in-your-face action. The player is constantly being swarmed by dozens of enemies. There's rarely ever a static moment where the player is aimlessly wandering around collecting pointless items. So, there's a feeling of tension present in Resident Evil 4 that's absent from most games.

And, although the game doesn't reinvent the wheel as far as shooters go, the game is more polished, responsive and enjoyable than most games on the market. Little details such as the way enemies convincingly recoil at the impact of a gun's report, or the ability to shoot incoming projectiles down from mid-air really make Resident Evil 4 special. Capcom really deserves credit for going back and addressing the issues plaguing a stagnent franchise.

[quote]The plot was terrible... the original RE had a very subtle plot that you had to put together yourself through various clues that you piece together over time. RE4 was like a James Bond movie... 'Rar, an American agent has infiltrated our village, rar! Oh, and by the way, the target he is looking for is located in the wooden house behind the woods... follow the path to your left... press A to open the door... look out for Dr. Salvadore to your left...'. I can't make this stuff up people! They actually have a file called 'Our Plan' in which they detail exactly what is going on for you! I'd also like to ask; who are these files being left [I]for[/I]? They are written in perfect english, while everyone else in the village is Spanish... oh wait, never mind, they're mindless zombie-things anyway! PLOT HOLE![/quote]

If you want Shakespeare, go read Shakespeare. The plot is thankfully not the primary focus of Resident Evil 4. It's just there to move the game along. For once a big developer decided to let the gameplay do the talking and I think the fact
that the game plays fantastic is much more satisfying than watching big budget cut scenes. I mean, Jeez, since when were the plots great in Resident Evil games to begin with? Since when was the acting good? You do realize that the Resident Evil series is supposed to pay homage to B-horror movies, right?

[quote]I'd also like to point out just how stupid the enamies seem... especially Lord Saddler. He's also pissed off that his pathetic underlings can't kill you, but every time he has an opertunity to kill you he just walks away laughing maniacly.[/quote]

If he killed you when he had the chance the game would be over after about an hour. You also seem to forget that [spoiler]Leon was carrying a parasite. Saddler recognized his incredible potential and wanted to wait for Leon to succumb to the las plagas so that he could use him as a personal bodygaurd.[/spoiler] Perhaps you should pay closer attention to the plot before criticizing it.

[quote]Ah, the bosses! The one thing that might actually have been skill testing, if each one wasn't instantly killable with a rocket launcher... did I mention you could buy rocket launchers? They're a dime-a-dozen from the convienently placed Merchant. Honestly, ANYTHING in the game dies in one hit with a rocket launcher - even Lord Saddler, who turns out to be the easiest boss since the dude at the end of Tales of Symphonia.[/quote]

The bosses are easily the best collection of bosses in a game this generation. If you want to spoil the fun by beating them with rockets, then that's your fault. If I remember correctly though, rocket launches were hardly a "dime a dozen." They were pretty expensive.

[quote]The Puzzles! Oh my god how easy were the puzzles! They were linear and boring and repetitive and EASY! The most skill testing one in the game was lifted directly from RE1 (Even the room looked the same!) but was ruined by one of the easiest answers of all time; press button 1, 2, 3, and 4 in that order. But never fear, there's also an alternate answer! 4, 3, 2, 1! MY SKILLS HAVE BEEN TESTED![/quote]

Um, hello? Resident Evil 4 isn't a puzzle game! The primary focus was the action. The puzzles weren't supposed to be time-consuming. They weren't even necessarily supposed to be challenging. They were merely put in for variation. They were a big improvement over the cumbersome puzzles in past Resident Evil titles.

[quote]The game was filled with so many plot holes it's incredible; like, for example, at what point did Leon become a kung-fu master (his kicks do more damage than a shotgun shell to the head...) and a super soldier (1 man vs the entire population of Spain? Bring it on!), not to mention an acomplished medic (Hmm... random green plants... maybe if I put this here... A HA! Full health!), and a bat-man impersonator? (He has a grapling hook just like Batmans!)[/quote]

Are you telling me that you don't understand why an agent of the president of the United States should be versed in martial arts or first aid techniques? The melee attacks themselves are powerful because it's [i]a video game[/i] and they're meant to get the player out of tight spots.

[quote]Oh yes, and the voice acting! Ya know, Capcom doesn't really have a good track record for voices (The original RE1 sounded like a 4th-grade nativty play)... but the voices and dialouge in the REmake were superb, I thought they'd learned their lesson. NOT SO. Leon sounds ok, but everything he says is a cliche! EVERY SINGLE THING! And if you thought Alfred Ashford was the most annoying character in history, you've never heard Lord Salazar. He sounds kind of like Alfred with a girble clawing away at his throat from the inside, with a bad cold.[/quote]

See my comments above.

[quote]All in all... a terribly addicting sin againts nature that deserves to burn in hell. I'm still going to beat The Mercenaries though :cool: [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Speaking of Mercenaries mode--it's an unlockable and it's so enjoyable that it could be a game of its own. I'm usually open to peoples' opinions but anyone that believes Resident Evil 4 sucks shouldn't be playing video games.

[font=Verdana][size=2]

[color=black][font=Verdana][font=Arial][size=1]I'm not gonna quote anyone about Halo or Halo 2, but let me say this...for EVERY FPS I've played, it's either been some random alien race that wants the human race gone for NO apparent reason other than to eat them or conquer[/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font]
[size=1][font=Arial] Earth. Half-Life 2?never really liked it because of one thing: people made TOO much hype BEFORE it came out to my intelligence. Just because the first one was good doesn?t mean the second one will be greater?oh, and on the Halo thing; the alien race ACTUALLY have a religion. They are called the Convenant, not some randomly picked name that you?d have to be fluent in Japanese, German, and Spanish to say it even slightly correctly. Halo did very well with the FPS perspective by adding in throwable grenades?WHICH FPS OTHER THAN HALO HAS THROWABLE GRENADES!? I don?t mean a ?Grenade Launcher?. I mean you toss a frag then repeatedly barrage your opposition with SMG and pistol fire until the frag explodes. [/font][/size][/font][/color]

[font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font]

[color=black][font=Verdana][size=1][font=Arial] [/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana][size=1][font=Arial]On to the next game?Jak II. This game was a VERY good game. Sweet controls, good graphics, decently challenging puzzles (save for the falling rock thing from the mission from Onin. THAT can be difficult), and better yet, well done voice acting. The characters are well done and its an over all good game. And Naughty Dog took a risky leap by going from a ?Collective Bonanza to Get 100%? in J&D: The Precursor Legacy to just ?Complete Missions to Get 100%? in Jak II. The Precursor Orbs were hard to find and get, but they unlocked sweet bonus material.[/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana][size=1][font=Arial] [/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana][font=Arial][size=1]That?s all I have to say. And don?t criticize a game before you played it. And yes, I have played Half-Life 2. Not that hyped up as most fans put it.[/size][/font][/font][/color][/size][/font]

[quote]oh, and on the Halo thing; the alien race ACTUALLY have a religion. They are called the Convenant, not some randomly picked name that you?d have to be fluent in Japanese, German, and Spanish to say it even slightly correctly.[/quote]

I don't see how this makes one game better than another... Maybe you can name some of these hard to pronounce alien races though.

Halo did very well with the FPS perspective by adding in throwable grenades?WHICH FPS OTHER THAN HALO HAS THROWABLE GRENADES!?[/quote]

LMAO... Counter-Strike. Enough said. Bring on the further evidence to why Halo/Halo 2 is not as great as it is made out to be.

And please don't even bring up the vehicle aspect of the game because there is another FPS which you might have heard of called Unreal Tournament...

Halo's most innovative aspect aruably has nothing to do with the game itself but the system it was on. Halo proved that even a (more or less) medicore FPS on a console can succeed if there is a decent system for online play.

[font=franklin gothic medium]I haven't played Halo 2, so I can't comment on that. And with the first Halo, I haven't seen enough to really say anything accurate about the plot.

My complaints don't relate to the plot anyway. Afterall, there are plenty of first person shooters with horrible (or non-existant) plots that are still brilliant due to their gameplay. And, while I like a good game-plot, at the end of the day I am still playing a game. So I want the gameplay to be fun first and foremost; plot is secondary at best.

In terms of repetition, there's a clear reason why I'd want to complain about that. Although repetition can be fun - and most games are based on it, if you think about it - the kind of repetition in Halo that I'm referring to isn't positive. It's not the repeating of a fun action, it's the repetition of textures and architecture (as well as relatively few enemies) that causes problems. There were times where I wasn't sure where to go because the design of the environment was so repetitive that it was difficult to identify one room as being different to another.

In terms of the way story was presented, I often felt that it was like a "Half-Life Lite". In other words, the game was borrowing some story-telling techniques from Half-Life and it came off as feeling redundant.

So while I don't actually dislike the game, I don't really think it's worthy of the praise that has been thrown at it over the years. People seem to put it in the same league as Goldeneye or Half-Life in terms of its impact...but I think that's actually almost an insult to Goldeneye and Half-Life. Halo is a solid game, but I don't think it's groundbreaking.[/font]

One game I think is overrated is Half-Life 2. The plot and graphics were great, but the game was too restrictive. You were basically forced to take a certain path. What's the point in the realistic physics engine if you don't have many oportunities to play around with it? The physics are basically just used to solve puzzles, which are way too easy most of the time.

Another problem is that, in my opinion, there wasn't much replay value. After beating the game and playing a few of the chapters over again, I felt little desire to continue playing.

[quote name='Hittokiri Zero']Halo did very well with the FPS perspective by adding in throwable grenades?WHICH FPS OTHER THAN HALO HAS THROWABLE GRENADES!?[/quote][color=#4B0082]Heh, even GoldenEye had hand granades, actually. (Not to mention a couple types of mines.) They just weren't very common, and you had to switch to them from your gun.

Personally, I also can't see why Halo/Halo 2 get as much hype as they do. I got the chance to play Halo 2 at a LAN party a while ago, with three Xboxes networked together running it. Pretty much, it seemed like Perfect Dark with prettier graphics, slightly better control, and real people instead of eight bots. Oh yes, and don't forget the highly unbalanced vehicles. (What's that? You say you want to jump in a warthog and fight back? Sorry, you spawn out in the open where you're an easy target; good luck running 100 feet across an open field to get to one.) In the end, it bored me pretty quickly.

Really though, until developers start letting you use a keyboard and mouse, or they come up with a good control scheme for the Revolution's controller, I just won't see console FPSs as anything but party game amusements. Dual analog control is okay, but compared to mouse-look, I find it to be complete crap. You can get used to it and do okay, sure -- or you can jump right into mouse-look style control and do just as good on your very first time.

Oh, and one game that I still feel is overrated, though not nearly the most, is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Before you flame me, I realize it's an awesome game and I know how much it did for 3D action games after it. But seriously, after you've played it once, know how to solve the puzzles, and have figured out the few simple patterns required to kill absolutely everything in the game, its fun factor takes a massive dive. I see people calling OoT the greatest game of all time, and I just have to shake my head when I consider that even Mario 64 has aged better.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
FFVII isn't overrated, back then that's the prettiest game we had, it's considered as a classic, the story's captivating and the gameplay was fun, classic gamers appreciate that kind of game...

if you just started playing games you wouldn't appreciate the old-school games, infact the era of the SNES,PS,N64 was the epitome of this industry...

The Halo series is overrated, it's beautiful but it's like any other FPS out there...it was just the first one to be released on the Xbox...the greatest FPS ever on a console was goldeneye for the n64....nothing can beat that...