OtakuBoards

What genre of music do you listen to?

sweetpeach14

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

I listen to all sorts of Hip Hop mostly.

Busta Rhymes, DMX, Jay-Z, The Game, KRS-One, Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, T.I., Invisbl Skratch Piklz, The X-Ecutioners, Dem Franchize Boyz, Lil' Wayne, Lil' Flip, Young Jeezy, Too Short, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Lil' Wyte, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Jurassic 5, Nujabes, Wu Tang Clan, U.G.K., Three 6 Mafia, Llyod Banks, Run DMC, OutKast, Freeway, Birdman, Common, Ice Cube, Ice T, Jadakiss, Cypress Hill, and etc.

I can list several artists that I enjoy. The only thing I really require out of hip hop for me to enjoy it is either good (as in funny or deep) lyrics or a general sound that makes me feel good and that I enjoy hearing. I don't care if they are underground or main stream or gangster or whatever. As long as it sounds good, I'll enjoy it.

As for rock music, I have a more limited list. I have the same principals for this form aswell. Good sound or lyrics.

Nirvana, Queen, AC/DC, Blink 182, Sum 41, Green Day, All American Rejects, Linkin Park, Pink Floyd, and Ozzy Osbourne, the greatest of all.[/color][/size]

I only listen to metal and a lot of the many different types of rock. Main bands I listen to as of lately are Panic! at the disco, The Used, Finch, and Bullet for my Valentine. And I absolutely cannot stand country music! It sends chills over me just thinking about it.

[quote name='soulrls']I only listen to metal and a lot of the many different types of rock. Main bands I listen to as of lately are Panic! at the disco, The Used, Finch, and Bullet for my Valentine. And I absolutely cannot stand country music! It sends chills over me just thinking about it.[/quote][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]

None of those qualify as metal, just so you know. It's emo, which, come to think of it, doesn't qualify as rock either.

Also, why do so many people hate country? I'm far from a country fan, but it's head-and-shoulders ahead of rap or hip-hop.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I hope this post does not count as spam.

Ziggy, as far as I knew bullet for my valentine was considered a metal band, although I was listing the bands I was currently listening to and not labeling a type. There are other bands I am into that I know are metal.
And as for them being emo and not rock, I was under the impression that emo had evolved from punk rock. And was therefore a form of rock. Although I could be wrong, since I found this out on the internet which is definitely not the most accurate way to find knowledge.

[SIZE=1]Me, I'm an amateur freak. I love listening to amateur and local bands more than most other bands. Be it Death Metal, Emo, Heavy Metal or Punk.

One of my favourite 'amateur bands: [URL=http://www.myspace.com/foreverxendsxtomorrow]Forever Ends Tomorrow[/URL].

Now for my exclusive favourite genres'; well I change my music quite a lot. Sometimes I'll have a Chimera playlist; sometimes an American Hi-Fi playlist. It all depends on my mood. If I need enthusiasm I tend to listen to bands which are fast and lively, such as Dragonforce, and if I just want something to listen to then it would have to be the [b]emotional hardcore[/b] section for me.

Oh! Then you get my band! We rock [b][u]TUH[/u][/b] socks off, know why? 'cause we're the worlds first air band!

Woop woop woop![/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
My taste varies depending on my mood.
I've always liked punk music, but I'm not limited to it. I also love ska and "hardcore" music. But then I like music that I can't even put into a genre, like The Faint, Metric, Death From Above 1979...
Then there's my guilty pleasures: J-Pop, Eminem, and other pop songs that make me want to dance.

Lately I've been listening to alot of Anti-Flag (one of my faves) and Bullet for My Valentine.

I don't really follow genres. I like what appeals to my ears, and that's good enough for me. I like to rock out, and if I'm in the mood, I like to shake my booty.
Works for me.

[QUOTE=soulrls]I hope this post does not count as spam.

Ziggy, as far as I knew bullet for my valentine was considered a metal band, although I was listing the bands I was currently listening to and not labeling a type. There are other bands I am into that I know are metal.
And as for them being emo and not rock, I was under the impression that emo had evolved from punk rock. And was therefore a form of rock. Although I could be wrong, since I found this out on the internet which is definitely not the most accurate way to find knowledge.[/QUOTE]
I would say bullet for my valentine is metalcore. At least that's the impression that I get from listening to "Hand of Blood". Their sound is very similar to Killswitch Engage, who are also metalcore.

And no, you're right, emo is derived from hardcore punk. It does make sense to group them under "rock", although technically it's just a generalization.

I listen to black metal, death metal, power metal (only with harsh vocals), some (real) emo (see sig and avie), and occaisionaly some punk. Oh, and sometimes Jazz, if I feel like turning on the radio.

I tend to like any music. Some religious music is trash though. I can't stand most of it. Mostly I like to listen to Rock and Rap. Some hard rock is okay, if the eat or lyrics are good, but I mostly like the slow Rock. I never understood what was so good about slipknot though... :confused:

Guest Metal Dragon
Everything is cool with me. My favorite genre is rock/metal and if I don't listen to any rock/metal for a week, I'll go [B]CRAZY![/B]

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I'll listen to anything once. I won't absolutley refuse like,"Oh mee gee. That is a country song, ewww!"

I mostly listen to anything on the AT40 (American Top 40), some rock and power-pop, hip-hop, Europop, and country.
I grew up on country because of my parents, but I've branched out in the last two years to everything listed above.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

I've found myelf listening to more and more "classic" rock and metal bands. Examples would be Status Quo, Iron maiden, Nitro, Motorhead and black sabbath.

I find that songs from bands like this often have really clever instrumental parts, possibly due to teh lacking of sound technology at time of recording.

I listen to a lot of soundtracks. Especially soundtracks from video games like Shadow Hearts. =) I don't really care for pop,or rap. I occasionally listen to rock, but not as much as I listen to jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SameOldScars
I mostly listen to metal and punk, but lately I've been getting into reggae, Dance/Electranica, And indian music alot, oh and blues.

• 2 years later...
i mostly listen 2 metal as it helps keep me calm if im angry an cheers me up wen im sad.:animesmil i also like a few songs from other genres but dont really listen 2 them

[quote name='Magus']

Rap - *shrugs* Money, girls, cars... mumble jumble..... Half the time I barely understand what's being said now because of all that so-called gold, platinum, grillz that are in their mouth. It's sad too because I understand rappers that rap fast (Twista, Busta Rhymes, Bone Thugs n Harmony) moreso than these slow rappers.. with this stuff in their mouth. But nevertheless, I still listen to just very little of it though.
.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that someone shares my disdain for modern rap. Old School hip hop, and even some underground artists of the modern age had/have such substance to their words. Many old artists such as any member of the Wu Tang Clan didn't even focus on an elaborate beat, but more of a simplistic rhythm that they could apply their very thoughtful words to.

Many modern artists with substance do focus on an elaborate rhythm, but also focus heavily on the lyrical prose; artists such as Blue Scholars, Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, Mos Def, Jay-Z (to an extent), Del the Funky Homosapien, and countless other non-mainstream acts have very substantial music.

I've never been a huge fan of hip-hop until recently when I found good hip-hop, which is not focused on money, drugs, and girls.

Mainly though, I am enthralled by the pulse of screaming guitars and thumping drums, with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, The Beatles, and really any good Rock 'N Roll.

Unfortunately, the current state of up-and-coming Rock 'N Roll bands was on a very declined slope until this year when a resurgence of hard rocking bands with lyrics of substance began to appear, in opposition of this whiny, Minor Scale thrash bands. Hopefully we have a bright future full of exciting music coming.

On a side note, please don't by Chinese Democracy, the new Guns 'n Roses album. It's not the true Guns 'n Roses album, but more like The Axl Rose Industrial Experiment. I'm all for Industrial Rock 'n Roll, but please don't use the alias Guns 'n Roses while creating.

[size=1]I listen to anything really... literally, haha. I go from classical to black metal. I generally dislike the mainstream shindig though, not because I'm trying to be different, just because the current mainstream sucks. Mostly mean the majority of rap and indie artists.

My favourite genres would be punk (first wave stuff or the crazy anarcho-punk stuff) and all kinds of new wave stuff though. Metal comes second, then classical in third. I also lik acoustic and folk hahaaa.[/size]

The bulk of my music is Progressive Rock and Metal. I like bands and artists who push the boundaries, who aren't constrained by notions of what is popular, or what the "industry" likes the package and market. Progressive often contains long songs, (sometimes of epic length), odd time signatures, use of non-traditional instruments, songs broken into multi-part suites. Another popular aspect of the genre is concept albums, that either follow a theme or more often tell a narrative story.

I also like some Power Metal, a little AOR/Melodic Metal, and a small amount of Melodic Death Metal. I also still like Big Band and Classical, which were the first genres I was exposed to as a little kid.

• 2 weeks later...